Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
runrussellrun

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by runrussellrun »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:29 am
keno in reno wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:55 am I'll take whatever mistakes Trader makes. He's added a dynamic to an alread-great group of poles that has made the defense pretty awesome all year, including last night. Yes, Redd and Lacey have been rock solid too (Kolar has been a great surprise too as an unheralded recruit).

As for the great stuff, could you imagine the Hosannas sung from the ESPN booth if Erksa was named Kavanagh and played for Notre Dame? Or if he was a Syracuse freshman..... "I mean this kid has been ridiculous all year!!! Look at the poise, the quickness, the moves!!!! UVA scores again to make it 18-9. But man this kid is SICK, right!!!!".

There’s always going to be some Syracuse (and Hopkins, let’s be honest) homerisms from the booths; the sport wants both squads to excel.
sayz who ? perfect weather, 6pm start gonna see 50K plus fans in Bryd?
That being said, as a Syracuse guy, plus finally getting to see the team in person yesterday, if you’d never heard a broadcast or read any Inside Lacrosse hosannas, you’d likely have thought another freshman Michael Leo is the freshman alpha on Syracuse….not the other. Cuse is set for a while with Spallina, Thomson, and Leo. If they can get the ball, they’ll be a handful for the next three years at least.
the "small circle" mentality ........we, too, prefer the dayz where Hobart was winning all those championships, never, ever, having to face one NESCAC foe......... :lol: :lol:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:42 am
AreaLax wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:19 pm Will play Rutgers at 8 on Saturday
So the women team is also playing Saturday at Byrd. Their time has not been set. It will be a very busy day at the stadium with 3 games happening back to back
So tempted to pull a prank, and paint all the stoopid football lines. Own a couple of liners already, a can of green paint cost what , again.

https://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/33 ... 213c404bb1

with shipping ,about $200 bucks total (24 cans )

BiG just doesn't have the money, nor maintenance crews, to honor the game. Just so lame......and we tolerate it.
Last edited by runrussellrun on Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finster

Post by Finster »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:44 am
keno in reno wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:55 am I'll take whatever mistakes Trader makes. He's added a dynamic to an alread-great group of poles that has made the defense pretty awesome all year, including last night. Yes, Redd and Lacey have been rock solid too (Kolar has been a great surprise too as an unheralded recruit).

As for the great stuff, could you imagine the Hosannas sung from the ESPN booth if Erksa was named Kavanagh and played for Notre Dame? Or if he was a Syracuse freshman..... "I mean this kid has been ridiculous all year!!! Look at the poise, the quickness, the moves!!!! UVA scores again to make it 18-9. But man this kid is SICK, right!!!!".

There’s always going to be some Syracuse (and Hopkins, let’s be honest) homerisms from the booths; the sport wants both squads to excel.
That being said, as a Syracuse guy, plus finally getting to see the team in person yesterday, if you’d never heard a broadcast or read any Inside Lacrosse hosannas, you’d likely have thought another freshman Michael Leo is the freshman alpha on Syracuse….not the other. Cuse is set for a while with Spallina, Thomson, and Leo. If they can get the ball, they’ll be a handful for the next three years at least.
the "small circle" mentality ........we, too, prefer the dayz where Hobart was winning all those championships, never, ever, having to face one NESCAC foe......... :lol: :lol:

Ah c’mon RRR: both teams face tough competition. Maybe this year Syracuse throttled back a tad, but that’s a combination of scheduling requirements plus the team was young as heck. I bet next year Gary has Army, Cornell, etc back replacing the St Bonny’s and Holy Crosses.

So far as Hop, I really don’t see one cupcake on their schedule this past season.

And if the NBA had a final again of the Lakers/Celtics, you’d be front row just like rest of us. No different in lacrosse if Hop and Cuse made it back to Memorial Day.

Fresh blood is great. So are traditional rivalries. You can cheer for both outcomes.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:49 am

Ah c’mon RRR: both teams face tough competition. Maybe this year Syracuse throttled back a tad, but that’s a combination of scheduling requirements plus the team was young as heck. I bet next year Gary has Army, Cornell, etc back replacing the St Bonny’s and Holy Crosses.

So far as Hop, I really don’t see one cupcake on their schedule this past season.

And if the NBA had a final again of the Lakers/Celtics, you’d be front row just like rest of us. No different in lacrosse if Hop and Cuse made it back to Memorial Day.

Fresh blood is great. So are traditional rivalries. You can cheer for both outcomes.
the "leadership" of lacro$$e share the same delusional thoughts.............

.....AGAIN, if we aren't filling seats on Memorial Day (we're NOT ), regardless of which teams are playing, there is something wrong with the product. there isn't . The marketing efforts, if any, are misguided, focusing on the very small minority of those involved in lacrosse. . But, we guess, with over a billion in assets, the N$aa can't afford to let local youth players into games for free. Or $5 They just can't.

Any youth games in Minnesota or Utah, this weekend. How about HS games, say, in Kennebec, Maine (where Buckeyes coach is from ), or South Carolina, this weekend ?

point is........even with all the years, traditions, etc., what percentage of the lacrosse world is truly involved in your laxmason-like thought ?

Last we checked, Bryant has just as many players and coaches, as Brown. Most likely the same outcome if counting family, friends. Syracuse, same "6 degree" links as Sienna ?

Lacrosse world is huge.......bizarre that the "leadership" keeps up the myth of "small", "everyone knows each other " stuff.

If true, 'Cuse would have 50K plus in attendance, with all the decades of fanbase, growth. They don't come close to it. Blame TV, all you want, but aren't the 'Cuse football/basketball games, on TV, too? and yet........they fill the place.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

The AI will be running the scout films when loaded, but thank you to awesome Shaq of youtube.......the highlight clips sure do show some piss poor off ball stick placement, for #40. or, even on ball for that matter since, we are talkn out loud ;)

"...caught flatfooted..." sayz the announcer.

hey Terps defensive coaches, watch his off ball stick placement. Especially, one that very play. Dude (#40 )....the Hopkins player ran in the most logical offensive , off ball, motion that he could.....to the crease/hole....and yet, he blew right buy you. Been going on, all season, too. I don't get paid for the obvioius, does anyone else. Clean it up, the kid has talent. Oh, and findout what angers him.......

And not ONE Hopkins goal scorer was physically touched, mostly on settled, 6 vs. 6 stuff.

Yup.....soft. like summer breeze Hero's ball. That good ole sandbagging Tillman 8-)
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

defensive advice to #5.

let the offensive pressure, come to you more. martial arts, off balance, mometum stuff. Maybe the Terps wrestling coach can help with this ;)

For #40 ? start with, never stop saying, out loud, "stick in the passing lane, stick in the passing lane"

Personally, didn't dig the way the SSDs played the pick. for the Terps, on that 3rd Hopkins goal either. Who knew Peshko could shoot right handed. :lol: who knew.

But, what to do to fix that ? Simple sweep, on ball picks, 20 yards out ? Guess limiting Traders time, is the answer. Haven't heard much about what that answer is.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Stop, Russell, Stop. We get it.

As for the Terps, great to see Maltz score a lot. He was great.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:20 am Stop, Russell, Stop. We get it.

As for the Terps, great to see Maltz score a lot. He was great.
ok.......but if the advice is repetetive, and being done, why hasn't it been corrected ?

sorry to chime in. Offering solutions to problems ain't an internet thing., got it.

yes, better to make 17 years cicada visits to the knowledge, that IS, Hopkins lacrosse threads. Only hopFan16 can explain away, what a motion offense, IS.

won't be back, since the wheels on the bus, go round and round .
Finster

Post by Finster »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:13 am
Finster wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:49 am

the "leadership" of lacro$$e share the same delusional thoughts.............

.....AGAIN, if we aren't filling seats on Memorial Day (we're NOT ), regardless of which teams are playing, there is something wrong with the product. there isn't . The marketing efforts, if any, are misguided, focusing on the very small minority of those involved in lacrosse. . But, we guess, with over a billion in assets, the N$aa can't afford to let local youth players into games for free. Or $5 They just can't.

Any youth games in Minnesota or Utah, this weekend. How about HS games, say, in Kennebec, Maine (where Buckeyes coach is from ), or South Carolina, this weekend ?

point is........even with all the years, traditions, etc., what percentage of the lacrosse world is truly involved in your laxmason-like thought ?

Last we checked, Bryant has just as many players and coaches, as Brown. Most likely the same outcome if counting family, friends. Syracuse, same "6 degree" links as Sienna ?

Lacrosse world is huge.......bizarre that the "leadership" keeps up the myth of "small", "everyone knows each other " stuff.

If true, 'Cuse would have 50K plus in attendance, with all the decades of fanbase, growth. They don't come close to it. Blame TV, all you want, but aren't the 'Cuse football/basketball games, on TV, too? and yet........they fill the place.

Both the analysis as well as the ‘answers’ to your perceived problem (is it really a problem, that 50k don’t fill a stadium?) are far more complex than what you propose. The money is there and growing, you just might not see that in the stands.

I’d start with the premise that not filling a stadium is somehow bad. Is it? Is the stadium less full because television allows us to avoid that weekend in Philadelphia? I know I don’t like spending Memorial Day in a city, not to mention 50% of the parents/fans/alums aren’t psyched to hang out an extra two days to NOT watch their team.

Let’s also address the ‘perfect’ sized stadium for Memorial Day lacrosse. It’s 20-30,000, not 50k plus.

Never mind all that. Where I think you’re both onto something but also missing the obvious is sports and money have materially changed in the last decade. Lacrosse at the high school level imo has become more about the club and less about the high school, and yet I don’t care at all about what club your kid played for. But that’s where the money is. I’ve got friends all over the country whose children play high school ball, and they talk far more about the club game. The money is there and growing. Whatever. It’s all good imo.

I like lacrosse where it’s been and where it’s at, and where it’s going. I’ve never seen so many excellent teams. I’ve never seen so many college teams get 5k at home games.

The sport is growing. It’s fun. It’s fast. Attending a game is unlike anything, but it’s nice to be able to watch on television if you’re a kid from Texas or Oregon. Relax.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:42 am
Makar, Geppert, Lacey, and Long among players that get starter-type minutes. I think Siracusa also graduates.

Everyone else is back. Maltz and Brennan are using their bonus years, as is Wierman.

Malever will have 2 more years of eligibility.
Ug I was hoping Brennan would call it a career. He’s been a zero this year as a first line midfielder. It’s just not him. 5 whole goals (16 points total) and 14% shooting in 11 games is just not worthy of the amount of playtime he gets. He’s absolutely zero threat to a defense because while he can alley dodge, he can’t put the ball anywhere near the cage.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Makes ya wonder if 2nd line will become 1rst with increasing body of evidence
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I would expect you see him return to a 2nd line role next year. Erksa-Malever-Kelly at the attack; Spanos and Whittier will be 1st MFers and then you got spots for Maltz and Murphy and Koras still as well.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:10 pm I would expect you see him return to a 2nd line role next year. Erksa-Malever-Kelly at the attack; Spanos and Whittier will be 1st MFers and then you got spots for Maltz and Murphy and Koras still as well.
Have to make room for Sam Handley
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:15 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:10 pm I would expect you see him return to a 2nd line role next year. Erksa-Malever-Kelly at the attack; Spanos and Whittier will be 1st MFers and then you got spots for Maltz and Murphy and Koras still as well.
He can take anyone’s spot he wants
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:06 pm Makes ya wonder if 2nd line will become 1rst with increasing body of evidence
I would expect every offensive position except Erksa's to be in play for upgrade next year, either by portal, current roster development or incoming freshmen. Never doubt Tillman in any tournament matchup, especially with Wierman and the defense, but the offense isn't close to the level of the elite teams (even the non-elites like Michigan).
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:56 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:06 pm Makes ya wonder if 2nd line will become 1rst with increasing body of evidence
I would expect every offensive position except Erksa's to be in play for upgrade next year, either by portal, current roster development or incoming freshmen. Never doubt Tillman in any tournament matchup, especially with Wierman and the defense, but the offense isn't close to the level of the elite teams (even the non-elites like Michigan).
When Maryland was preseason #1, I wondered why? The reason was “they won last year”….by that logic, UCONN basketball is preseason number 1 next year despite all the losses. Maryland lost a lot of offensive experience and then had injuries. They will be back.
“I wish you would!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:15 pm
Lol....

But Pederson from Princeton would make a nice addition to the rope unit.

I'm not basing this on any inside information, but I would be surprised to see Trader back next year. Too much wear and tear. Too much wanting to be an offensive midfielder.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:01 pm
When Maryland was preseason #1, I wondered why? The reason was “they won last year”….by that logic, UCONN basketball is preseason number 1 next year despite all the losses. Maryland lost a lot of offensive experience and then had injuries. They will be back.
The defense still looked like the best projected unit in the country. And it's been in the Top 5. They've had some games where they were worse than expected but still been elite.

No one could have predicted McNaney blowing out his knee, if not for that they probably win at least 1 more game. Murphy has missed significant time, which when coupled with the Malever injury took them from losing their Top 4 scorers from last years team to 6 of the Top 7 for long stretches. Wierman has also been banged up all year, not saying that's cost them a game but played a part.

The offense has been way worse than expected. But also if anyone thought Maryland would have an offense on the level of like Marquette, then fair enough, amazing prediction, but I don't think anyone predicted that. Some people had Virginia #1 instead, and that was fine. But how low were they supposed to be ranked? They're still a Top 5-7 team in the country and two of the Top 7 teams were not even ranked in the preseason.

If "Maryland shouldn't have been preseason #1" but then you had them like #3, to me that seems like you're saying you also expected them to be better you just had them 1 or 2 spots lower. The difference between #1 and #3 is miniscule in any year that doesn't have a team like Maryland was last year or maybe a 2019 Penn State type team
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:10 pm
The defense still looked like the best projected unit in the country. And it's been in the Top 5. They've had some games where they were worse than expected but still been elite.

No one could have predicted McNaney blowing out his knee, if not for that they probably win at least 1 more game. Murphy has missed significant time, which when coupled with the Malever injury took them from losing their Top 4 scorers from last years team to 6 of the Top 7 for long stretches. Wierman has also been banged up all year, not saying that's cost them a game but played a part.

The offense has been way worse than expected. But also if anyone thought Maryland would have an offense on the level of like Marquette, then fair enough, amazing prediction, but I don't think anyone predicted that. Some people had Virginia #1 instead, and that was fine. But how low were they supposed to be ranked? They're still a Top 5-7 team in the country and two of the Top 7 teams were not even ranked in the preseason.

If "Maryland shouldn't have been preseason #1" but then you had them like #3, to me that seems like you're saying you also expected them to be better you just had them 1 or 2 spots lower. The difference between #1 and #3 is miniscule in any year that doesn't have a team like Maryland was last year or maybe a 2019 Penn State type team
You can’t just win a championship with defense. My only point was Maryland lost a lot of offensive production that never seems to matter in lacrosse but does in every other sport.
“I wish you would!”
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:14 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:10 pm

You can’t just win a championship with defense. My only point was Maryland lost a lot of offensive production that never seems to matter in lacrosse but does in every other sport.
Of course you can't. But no one expected their offense to be the 30th best offense in the country. I assume even with the losses in production even you didn't expect this steep of a dropoff? They expected it go from being #1 to being #10 or so. Or maybe 15thish. And if their offense is between 10 and 20 in the country and not middle of the pack in the country, they very well might be the #1 team.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”