Cno3putts

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by Cno3putts »

Goalie at 400% doesn't win games
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Goalie at 35% did!
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Cno3putts wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:46 pm Goalie at 400% doesn't win games
I guarantee that a 400% goalie wins every time
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Weirdly, I think having to play in the B1G quarters may actually be good for the Terps. Gives them another opportunity to get game minutes together on offense. Though probably not great from the angle of saving wear and tear on Wierman.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:55 pm Weirdly, I think having to play in the B1G quarters may actually be good for the Terps. Gives them another opportunity to get game minutes together on offense. Though probably not great from the angle of saving wear and tear on Wierman.
I dunno. I think it would be great to give Makar, Zappitello, Wierman and Trader a 2 week break. Best case is a 3 seed, worst is a 6. I'll take the 2 week rest over the seeding roulette where they could still get screwed even winning 3 games in a week.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Will play Rutgers at 8 on Saturday
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:13 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:55 pm Weirdly, I think having to play in the B1G quarters may actually be good for the Terps. Gives them another opportunity to get game minutes together on offense. Though probably not great from the angle of saving wear and tear on Wierman.
I dunno. I think it would be great to give Makar, Zappitello, Wierman and Trader a 2 week break. Best case is a 3 seed, worst is a 6. I'll take the 2 week rest over the seeding roulette where they could still get screwed even winning 3 games in a week.
I def would have preferred the bye.

But if they win all 3 they def are going no lower than 4 and they might have a decent shot at 3 considering I think UVA may be the 3 no matter what happens with the ACC and we do have the H2H there
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Can I say out loud that Trader makes glaring mistakes, more so than any other shorty that plays? Ruppel bailed him out in the 4th when Trader slid upfield to spring a double, but Ruppel stuffed the wide open shot from the side. Then the reckless turnover in transition. I know he's young and hasn't played in 2 years, but he makes these mistakes every game. He and Makar have done a ton of freelancing this season, and it often hurts the defense more than it helps. Kolar and Trader were the pair that Penn State kept abusing in the 2 man games behind the goal. The pair also struggled when Michigan went to their alley-dodging game in the 2nd half of that game.

Meanwhile, Lacey and Redd have played phenomenal defense all season. You sometimes don't even notice them on the field because their men rarely seem to beat them.

How you go from 16 shots in Q1 to 33 for the game is totally wild.

Hop's physicality and pressuring adjacent passes on defense rattled the Terps. While both midfield lines struggled, that first line was nonexistent. Tills went with the 2nd line on the final play. Spanos didn't handle getting poled very well, but he still played within himself. Until Kelly gets more threatening as a dodger, teams will keep shorting him. If you wanted to put Murphy in somewhere today, that would have been the spot.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The 1st line has been nonexistent for basically 4 straight games. 12 points in the last 4 games, only 5 goals, and 15 turnovers. More TOs than points in 4 games is just inexcusable from a 1st MF at Maryland. It just is.

2nd MF in the last 4 games has 11 goals, 6 assists, 17 points, and 7 turnovers. 6 more goals, 1 fewer assist, 5 more points, and 8 less turnovers in the last 4 games from the midfield unit that got at best probably 50% of the shifts in those 4 games.

Tonight they did not have good games. Spanos still struggles with the speed of the game at times and Hopkins physicality was never gonna be a good matchup for that. Siracusa had 1 or 2 iffy shots. Obviously Whittier’s pass at the end was unfortunate. But they are by far more efficient and just more productive than the 1st MF. The only reason at this point to not give them a majority of the shifts by a substantial margin is seniority and that has never been how this program has operated. Tills went to Ruppel over Dolan after 1 game when Dolan was subpar against Cuse. The rope that’s been given to the 1st MF despite the level of play in conference play doesn’t meet the standards he’s set in the past for how good you gotta be to earn your minutes. Seems harsh, but it’s just the way it is. Still need them in some capacity. There are roles for them. But it is not getting a majority or at this stage even 50% of the midfield shifts. The offense is just flat non threatening with them on the field. The defense does not react when they are out there and they press and force things that lead to mistakes. Can’t happen.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:02 am Can I say out loud that Trader makes glaring mistakes, more so than any other shorty that plays? Ruppel bailed him out in the 4th when Trader slid upfield to spring a double, but Ruppel stuffed the wide open shot from the side. Then the reckless turnover in transition. I know he's young and hasn't played in 2 years, but he makes these mistakes every game. He and Makar have done a ton of freelancing this season, and it often hurts the defense more than it helps. Kolar and Trader were the pair that Penn State kept abusing in the 2 man games behind the goal. The pair also struggled when Michigan went to their alley-dodging game in the 2nd half of that game.

Meanwhile, Lacey and Redd have played phenomenal defense all season. You sometimes don't even notice them on the field because their men rarely seem to beat them.

Hop's physicality and pressuring adjacent passes on defense rattled the Terps. While both midfield lines struggled, that first line was nonexistent. Tills went with the 2nd line on the final play. Spanos didn't handle getting poled very well, but he still played within himself. Until Kelly gets more threatening as a dodger, teams will keep shorting him. If you wanted to put Murphy in somewhere today, that would have been the spot.
I think Trader is anxious to get some offensive playing time so he tends to take any opportunity he can to make a play on the offensive side of the field. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn’t. Feel like the majority of the time his aggression creates opportunities based on the big picture but I understand it can be frustrating after the D spends 60 seconds defending and then to come down the field and turn it over right away. Overall Trader has been a great addition even with the occasional silly mistakes. I haven’t seen many players body him up when he’s playing D but Collison seems to be a brick house and beat him a few times. Collison is gonna suck to deal with for the next few years it doesn’t need much space to shoot
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

I'll take whatever mistakes Trader makes. He's added a dynamic to an alread-great group of poles that has made the defense pretty awesome all year, including last night. Yes, Redd and Lacey have been rock solid too (Kolar has been a great surprise too as an unheralded recruit).

As for the great stuff, could you imagine the Hosannas sung from the ESPN booth if Erksa was named Kavanagh and played for Notre Dame? Or if he was a Syracuse freshman..... "I mean this kid has been ridiculous all year!!! Look at the poise, the quickness, the moves!!!! UVA scores again to make it 18-9. But man this kid is SICK, right!!!!".
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:02 am Can I say out loud that Trader makes glaring mistakes, more so than any other shorty that plays? Ruppel bailed him out in the 4th when Trader slid upfield to spring a double, but Ruppel stuffed the wide open shot from the side. Then the reckless turnover in transition. I know he's young and hasn't played in 2 years, but he makes these mistakes every game. He and Makar have done a ton of freelancing this season, and it often hurts the defense more than it helps. Kolar and Trader were the pair that Penn State kept abusing in the 2 man games behind the goal. The pair also struggled when Michigan went to their alley-dodging game in the 2nd half of that game.

Can I say/ask this out loud…….after watching last night’s performance can one of you guys that is in the know tell me other than Makar who will not have any eligibility after this season?
ObxTerpFan

Post by ObxTerpFan »

I felt like Hopkins was much more physical than the Terps.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

good scrimmage last night. outcome means nothing....but possession of an ugly, lazy art, wooden crab. (Terps still in, even if they lose to Rutgers ? exactly

Hopkins website (schedule ), shows they are "done" for the season....no more games. :lol: at least they are spelling coaches names correctly. Is coach Quin still helping ?

Wood rather be playing, than sitting around for almost two weeks....idle hands, devil...and all that.

Good job sandbagging Coach Tillman. ;)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Terp D played well. Hops top two did most of their scoring off switches. Giving up transition goals is not something MD does so easily. Offense was making some progress but fell back thanks to Hopkins D and Terp TO’s. Hopkins was more physical especially in the middle of the field. I thought Wierman did well but we couldn’t pick up the balls he pushed out. As Area said, this team needs more possessions and less turnovers to win. Season far from over and hopefully see Hopkins again. Rutgers looked terrible Friday but Terps will need more offense to keep playing
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:02 am Can I say out loud that Trader makes glaring mistakes, more so than any other shorty that plays? Ruppel bailed him out in the 4th when Trader slid upfield to spring a double, but Ruppel stuffed the wide open shot from the side. Players choice, or system/scheme Then the reckless turnover in transition.3/to's for the entire season....but lets NOT point to the player who threw the ball out of bounds on Terps final possession :roll: I know he's young and hasn't played in 2 years, but he makes these mistakes every game. name ONE player that doesn't ? the younger Burlance sure makes mistakes, especially early season. Think every single Loyola goal, he was involved in poor slides, approaches, etc. Since we are naming names of mistake makers :roll: He and Makar have done a ton of freelancing this season, and it often hurts the defense more than it helps. Kolar and Trader were the pair that Penn State kept abusing in the 2 man games behind the goal. The pair also struggled when Michigan went to their alley-dodging game in the 2nd half of that game.

Meanwhile, Lacey and Redd have played phenomenal defense all season. Trader has 10 cto's , compared to a combined 4 four the aforementioned names. You sometimes don't even notice them on the field because their men rarely seem to beat them.

you appear to qualify yourself as an "it" guy......coach him up than .

What words of wisdom do you offer to cull all those mistakes.....play him less ?

Regarding Hopkins first goal, kind of a garbage type goal by Grimes. Ironic, but guess which Terp didn't LEVEL or put any type of physicality...........see above. Since we are being "out loud" now, about certain players.

Terps defense was about as amped up as a summer Hero's game. Especially on that play.
Last edited by runrussellrun on Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Finster

Post by Finster »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:55 am I'll take whatever mistakes Trader makes. He's added a dynamic to an alread-great group of poles that has made the defense pretty awesome all year, including last night. Yes, Redd and Lacey have been rock solid too (Kolar has been a great surprise too as an unheralded recruit).

As for the great stuff, could you imagine the Hosannas sung from the ESPN booth if Erksa was named Kavanagh and played for Notre Dame? Or if he was a Syracuse freshman..... "I mean this kid has been ridiculous all year!!! Look at the poise, the quickness, the moves!!!! UVA scores again to make it 18-9. But man this kid is SICK, right!!!!".

There’s always going to be some Syracuse (and Hopkins, let’s be honest) homerisms from the booths; the sport wants both squads to excel.

That being said, as a Syracuse guy, plus finally getting to see the team in person yesterday, if you’d never heard a broadcast or read any Inside Lacrosse hosannas, you’d likely have thought another freshman Michael Leo is the freshman alpha on Syracuse….not the other. Cuse is set for a while with Spallina, Thomson, Hiltz, and Leo. If they can get the ball, they’ll be a handful for the next three years at least.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:19 pm Will play Rutgers at 8 on Saturday
So the women team is also playing Saturday at Byrd. Their time has not been set. It will be a very busy day at the stadium with 3 games happening back to back
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:51 am
Can I say/ask this out loud…….after watching last night’s performance can one of you guys that is in the know tell me other than Makar who will not have any eligibility after this season?
Makar, Geppert, Lacey, and Long among players that get starter-type minutes. I think Siracusa also graduates.

Everyone else is back. Maltz and Brennan are using their bonus years, as is Wierman.

Malever will have 2 more years of eligibility.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”