ODAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
UpstateSec3

Re: ODAC 2023

Post by UpstateSec3 »

Looked better without #7? Against VA Wes? Averett? Ferrum? Today’s offense showed great balance, but the Tigers will certainly miss #7 as ODAC Tourney starts.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Roanoke played a tough schedule this season, I've watched all of the games - Sydney is the best team they've played bar none and it's not close, including Salisbury and Lynchburg. They're huge, fast and their guys do well under duress, they don't throw the ball away much or put it on the ground. I know they apparently had 18 TOs today - I didn't see nearly that many. The goalie is obviously lights out, stops everything. #5 doesn't even know how good he is, he could score six goals a game. The only little issue I see is at FO.

How in the world did Nick Morgan end up at Sydney?? I'll never understand that. He should be at Ohio State, or at least Cleveland State. He's a cheat code in the ODAC, it's really not even fair.

Anyway, this is Sydney's year. If they can't win ODACs and make a run in the tourney, they never will. I have no idea how W&L is ranked that high, they can't hold a candle to Sydney. Every year that goes by I am less impressed by W&L, they are getting votes at this point on reputation not performance.

As for Roanoke, I don't know what to say anymore. They have plenty of talent, it just hasn't gotten results lately. Pilat is a great coach, I know he can lead the program back to its former glory. But I think soul searching is in order at this point. Something has to change.

As bad as it ever gets for Roanoke, it comforts me to know that they'll never, ever lose to Shenandoah. :D
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Let’s not get too carried away with HS. They do not have any OOC wins over a ranked team, beat W&L in 4 overtime on a flukey goal. They will lose to Lynchburg b
elitelax4596

Post by elitelax4596 »

Goldenboy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:18 pm HSC offense has looked a lot better without #7 in the lineup. Their defense is one of the best in the country. My new favorites to win the ODAC.
Would think Rostan would like to have a starting attackman who produced big healthy? Regardless, Ray O’Brien and that offense can cook.

Would think Lynchburg takes it next weekend but is close?

JRostan best recruiter in odac? :shock:
ODAD

Post by ODAD »

I understand the weak OOC argument, but at the end of the day HSC has proven they can win when it matters. W&L is a good team and went on a run very late in the game to send it to overtime. Before that, the game was very lopsided IMO. I also wouldn’t call a 14+ yards time-room goal a fluke but okay. Like I said, at the end of the day W&L hasn’t proved they can close out close games (LYN and HSC)…

Lynchburg on senior night is a whole different animal than at Roanoke - besides the senior night part. Coach K is also one of the best in the business and has had HSC’s number now for a few years. This should be an interesting contest. Wouldn’t be surprised if either team takes it by 2-3gosls.

And Rostan just might be the best recruiter in the ODAC considering HSC is an all boys school in the middle of nowhere. But a great school, and a great lacrosse culture seems to do the trick. Props to the tigers
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

I think you can argue that every ODAC school is in the middle of nowhere.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

JBFortunato wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:44 pm Roanoke played a tough schedule this season, I've watched all of the games - Sydney is the best team they've played bar none and it's not close, including Salisbury and Lynchburg. They're huge, fast and their guys do well under duress, they don't throw the ball away much or put it on the ground. I know they apparently had 18 TOs today - I didn't see nearly that many. The goalie is obviously lights out, stops everything. #5 doesn't even know how good he is, he could score six goals a game. The only little issue I see is at FO.

How in the world did Nick Morgan end up at Sydney?? I'll never understand that. He should be at Ohio State, or at least Cleveland State. He's a cheat code in the ODAC, it's really not even fair.

Anyway, this is Sydney's year. If they can't win ODACs and make a run in the tourney, they never will. I have no idea how W&L is ranked that high, they can't hold a candle to Sydney. Every year that goes by I am less impressed by W&L, they are getting votes at this point on reputation not performance.

As for Roanoke, I don't know what to say anymore. They have plenty of talent, it just hasn't gotten results lately. Pilat is a great coach, I know he can lead the program back to its former glory. But I think soul searching is in order at this point. Something has to change.

As bad as it ever gets for Roanoke, it comforts me to know that they'll never, ever lose to Shenandoah. :D
Nice promo but won’t get it done against Lynchburg. HSC has played well lately but Coach K will have the Hornets buzzing. Perry will need a big game to give HSC a chance. Lynchburg may have lost to Salisbury and CNU but played well. Lynchburg by 4 or 5
bmorelaxer

Post by bmorelaxer »

Faxlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:04 am Let’s not get too carried away with HS. They do not have any OOC wins over a ranked team, beat W&L in 4 overtime on a flukey goal. They will lose to Lynchburg b
Please tell me exactly how that goal was "flukey". bozo
bmorelaxer

Post by bmorelaxer »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:11 am
JBFortunato wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:44 pm Roanoke played a tough schedule this season, I've watched all of the games - Sydney is the best team they've played bar none and it's not close, including Salisbury and Lynchburg. They're huge, fast and their guys do well under duress, they don't throw the ball away much or put it on the ground. I know they apparently had 18 TOs today - I didn't see nearly that many. The goalie is obviously lights out, stops everything. #5 doesn't even know how good he is, he could score six goals a game. The only little issue I see is at FO.

Nice promo but won’t get it done against Lynchburg. HSC has played well lately but Coach K will have the Hornets buzzing. Perry will need a big game to give HSC a chance. Lynchburg may have lost to Salisbury and CNU but played well. Lynchburg by 4 or 5
Lyncbhburg also lost to RMC by 4 goals. Are we going to completely ignore that?
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Didn’t Lynchburg just lose to RMC?
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

bmorelaxer wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:25 am
Faxlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:04 am Let’s not get too carried away with HS. They do not have any OOC wins over a ranked team, beat W&L in 4 overtime on a flukey goal. They will lose to Lynchburg b
It wasn’t “flukey.” Fanlax is just a bitter, bitter boy. The entire notion that an all-guys tiny liberal arts college consistently puts out a team of such high quality is insane- Rostan is a genius.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Let's be clear, I'm not cutting a promo for Sydney. I didn't care for the way the team conducted itself yesterday, didn't care for what I heard from their fans on the sideline either. Definitely a lot of little brother vibes going on with that program.

But, they're the best team in the ODAC this year in my opinion. They should feel the pressure, because they should have expectations for themselves. I don't want to hear any excuses if they don't win ODACs and at least a few games in the NCAA's because they're definitely good enough to do that, they've got all the horses. It isn't going to get any better than this for Sydney, they need to capitalize on this moment.
elitelax4596

Post by elitelax4596 »

JBFortunato wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:29 pm Let's be clear, I'm not cutting a promo for Sydney. I didn't care for the way the team conducted itself yesterday, didn't care for what I heard from their fans on the sideline either. Definitely a lot of little brother vibes going on with that program.

But, they're the best team in the ODAC this year in my opinion. They should feel the pressure, because they should have expectations for themselves. I don't want to hear any excuses if they don't win ODACs and at least a few games in the NCAA's because they're definitely good enough to do that, they've got all the horses. It isn't going to get any better than this for Sydney, they need to capitalize on this moment.
The little brother who was in the odac finals last year…? Please

What I’ve taken away from these past two weeks is Roanoke may now be the “little brother” and RMC has moved into the top 4 in the ODAC.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

There’s a lot of pumping up of Hampden-Sydney today. Congratulations on your blow out win of an unranked team who’s in 5th place in the league. It’s very impressive. Especially putting up such a large number of goals on one of the worst defenses and goalies in all of “competitive” D3. You should be proud.

Whoever said little brother syndrome hit the nail on the head. They don’t seem all that different from last years W&L who swept the league had a 1 goal win of the best team in the league and finished the year 0-2. Only they have a much weaker out of conference schedule, and unfortunately for the Tigers they are likely in an AQ or bust scenario.

They’ve made 1 NCAA tournament in the last 20 years. They have 1 4OT win over a ranked team this year, who they seem to think isn’t any good and is over ranked. I know humble pie has never been on the menu in FarmVille but they should consider a slice before they find themselves watching the NCAA tournament from a frat house basement… yet again.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

rasheed wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:00 pm
It wasn’t “flukey.” Fanlax is just a bitter, bitter boy. The entire notion that an all-guys tiny liberal arts college consistently puts out a team of such high quality is insane- Rostan is a genius.
1 NCAA tournament in the last 20 years is genius?
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

rasheed wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:00 pm
rashed, it's "faxlax", not "fanlax", LOL. I do not think the actual 4OT goal was flukey, it was legit but being an all male school has nothing to do with it, unless we are now saying that W&L, being an all male school until 1988, had something to do with their program back then.....I don't think so.

valaxfan
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

JBFortunato wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:29 pm Let's be clear, I'm not cutting a promo for Sydney. I didn't care for the way the team conducted itself yesterday, didn't care for what I heard from their fans on the sideline either. Definitely a lot of little brother vibes going on with that program.

Winning “a least a few games (meaning 3) in the NCAAs” would put them in the Final Four. HS is a good team but I don’t see them as a National Semifinal team. One obvious shortcoming is face offs. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that in the 3 losses this year (against the type of team they’ll see in the NCAAs) the didn’t hit double digit goals in any of them because they averaged only 32 shots in those games because they were only 20 of 75 at the dot! If they don’t have the ball, they won’t beat 3 quality teams IMHO.
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Which one of you pundits can do their best in predicting the 3 All ODAC Teams? :lol:
Would have to think that there are a lot from LYNCH/HS/W&L/Noke...
Couple of quality players at RMC and Bridgewater too...anyone wanna take a stab?
ODAD

Post by ODAD »

The takeaway I got from the RMC v. LYN game was that anything can happen in D3 lacrosse. RMC can get run off the field one week and then beat LYN by 4 the next. Trying to diagram who beat who 10 weeks ago to determine the best team in the conference or region is pretty useless. At this phase of the season, every team has to get off the bus ready to compete or they will lose. It's that simple.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

The tie break scenarios for ODAC play are a little tricky to figure out. But next weeks game has quite a few implications.

I’m not sure this is right but as best I can figure out is.

If Hampden-Sydney wins:

1) HSC
2) W&L
3) RMC
4) LYN
5) ROA

If Lynchburg wins:

1) Lynchburg
2) HSC
3) W&L
4) RMC
5) ROA

Either way HSC gets shafted in their draw.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”