Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth, and touched the face of God.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

We got the big dumb crab!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congrats Hop fans! What a game and what a year the Jays are having. (And it's not over yet.).
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Will the Milliman critics check in tonight? How much more do you need to see to know this guy can coach. Hop got a good one.

I said it last week and I will say it again, Melendez is the best player I have seen this season. Unreal talent. I only saw him play one time in high school and I remember saying… “this kid is going to Marquette?”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sag A can suck deez NUTS
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Oh, come on. If you won't deliver your trademark, "Great day to be a Jay", I will.

I have not seen the stats but it felt as if the Jays won the ground ball battle.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:12 pm Will the Milliman critics check in tonight? How much more do you need to see to know this guy can coach. Hop got a good one.

I said it last week and I will say it again, Melendez is the best player I have seen this season. Unreal talent. I only saw him play one time in high school and I remember saying… “this kid is going to Marquette?”
More than just his shooting and playmaking, he definitely brings a swagger that has been missing for a long time.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

A hard fought, well earned extra few days rest. Don't see how they're not seeded.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:12 pm Will the Milliman critics check in tonight? How much more do you need to see to know this guy can coach. Hop got a good one.

Probably Tambroni is the leader for coach of the year. We'll see. Arguably the biggest regular season win since they broke the klockner losing streak a decade ago.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:18 pm

More than just his shooting and playmaking, he definitely brings a swagger that has been missing for a long time.
Melendez can do everything … dodge, play off-ball, initiate, finish, play on the crease, shoot from long range … all with a bit of flash.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Maybe the best thing about this win is that it (at least temporarily) silences the "Owen Murphy should still be on Hop" narrative. (Nothing against Owen Murphy but good to live in the present with the team you have!)
primitiveskills

The Orfling wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:23 pm

Maybe the best thing about this win is that it (at least temporarily) silences the "Owen Murphy should still be on Hop" narrative. (Nothing against Owen Murphy but good to live in the present with the team you have!)
I think the team had a lasting mental image of Murphy struting around Homewood last year with "The Crab". He was barely on the field tonight for them. What a difference a year makes.
Last edited by primitiveskills on Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mazzone had 8 GBs (and 2 CTs) and was money in transition. (He has 65 GBs this season??? What???) He has played himself into 1st team All-America consideration. He does absolutely everything and I'm not sure there's a defenseman who has had a bigger impact on his team this year than him.

Smith added 5 GBs/3 CTs, Brown with 3 and 2, Szuluk with 2 and 2. When your defensemen are that disruptive and good off the ground, you're probably going to win.

That being said, Tyler Dunn gets the game ball. We lose that game if Wierman is allowed to get in a rhythm. Dunn kept him in check all night.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:27 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:23 pm

I think the team had a lasting mental image of Murphy struting around Hoemwood last year with "The Crab". He was barely on the field tonight for them. What a difference a year makes.
Yep. Live by the taunt, die by the taunt. Really happy for the Hopkins lax family -- college lacrosse is so much better when Hop is relevant. Congrats.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Hopkins shot 8 for 17 and collected 20 GBs in second half.

Terps shot 6 for 13 with 11 GBs after halftime.

Jays are 7-1 since March 7 with numerous 2nd half comebacks.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:32 pm Mazzone had 8 GBs (and 2 CTs) and was money in transition. (He has 65 GBs this season??? What???) He has played himself into 1st team All-America consideration. He does absolutely everything and I'm not sure there's a defenseman who has had a bigger impact on his team this year than him.

Smith added 5 GBs/3 CTs, Brown with 3 and 2, Szuluk with 2 and 2. When your defensemen are that disruptive and good off the ground, you're probably going to win.

That being said, Tyler Dunn gets the game ball. We lose that game if Wierman is allowed to get in a rhythm. Dunn kept him in check all night.
So impressed with the Hop defenders. They were everywhere. Incredible confidence with the ball and in transition.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Hop just beat a terrible Maryland team. Maryland beat an atrocious Ohio st team in overtime. Milliman was dead weight at Cornell and everyone knew it. Cornell has a superior coaching staff now
primitiveskills

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:32 pm Mazzone had 8 GBs (and 2 CTs) and was money in transition. (He has 65 GBs this season??? What???) He has played himself into 1st team All-America consideration. He does absolutely everything and I'm not sure there's a defenseman who has had a bigger impact on his team this year than him.

I thought this was Szuluk's best game. Mazzone and Melendez might be the best portal pick-ups in D1. Brown is becoming as disruptive as any LSM out there. Agree Dunn was huge, and our wings badly outplayed theirs.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lager with the tiny pp energy

Per Coach Kelly's Instagram of the postgame festivities, Ronny D and Baker were both at the game and on the field. I don't know many university presidents who travel to road lacrosse games. It's time everybody cut that guy a break.

Well deserved week off, some guys who are banged up need it. LET'S RIDE
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Thought moving Szuluk onto Erksa late in the 3rd/early 4th was the low key move of the game. Erksa was in a groove and never really got a good look again after they did that. Some of it was a litany of MD turnovers but he helped calm things down for Hopkins, as a senior captain should do. Was a great game, congrats to you guys. Probably will be at least one more meeting this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”