Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LeeRoggy

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by LeeRoggy »

It seems the entire season, the communication on defense has gotten worse. When it's one on one, we seem to handle teams well, but the two-man game gives us fits and has all year. We seem to end up running around more than other teams and that has got to get back to communicating. How many times after a goal do we see our defense huddle up and someone is angry? With other teams, it's more of 'let's remember this'; with us it's someone getting annoyed with someone else being out of position.
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

I completely agree with you about the defense. Also, you would think that the defense and coaching staff would know that you REALLY shouldn't give Derrek Madonna time to set his feet and free his hands.
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

5 minutes to go and down 20-13.

Disheartening. You can see it in the body language out there. It's not a lack of desire, nor the effort physically. Jump out early to the 4-0 lead and again we can't handle prosperity. There certainly looks like a mental fragility; kind of a 'here we go again'.

Shea is such a battler, but I'd love to see a breakdown of how many wins he earns himself versus the wing players. I'd bet he has to do a lot more than other FOGO's. And the number of times he wins quickly but turns it over because his teammates are slow to give him an outlet. I have no idea how to fix the wing play.

How many times does a D1 team score 15 goals and lose? At home? I'd bet if you score 15 goals, you win 80% of the time, or more. For all the injuries on offense, that was not our problem this year. We need bigger and better athleticism on the defensive side of the ball. How much of the communication lapse is because the close defense slides quickly to the D-middie who needs help? I'm not an expert on this, but the eyes don't lie. Maybe in today's college game, with so much size, speed, skill and stick technology, you can't get away with IQ over size?

There's talent all over the country; can we afford not to play in some areas? Shea is from NC and a few over the years from Colorado and the Midwest. Have we had an impact player from Texas? Florida? Georgia? California? Is the upstate NY pipeline enough these days? Not when the top school in the area gets to pick first.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Letting Richmond middies crank it up uncontested isn't doing your goalie any favors. What the heck was the defensive scheme that allowed that all game long? The O goes flat and the D forgets when to slide in late Q2. Game was over at the half. The mental toughness needed to correct your mistakes in game was nowhere to be found on the field or the sidelines today. Having to win at UMass, or should I say cheapshot U, will be extremely difficult to say the least. To have to do that and pray some oddball formula gets you in is sad. Simas' injury looked serious. Tough way to end your career if he can't go Friday.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

15gs should = W Defense has been a disappointment, mild understatement1
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I just can't understand the inability to play 60 minutes. I understand ebbs and flows. But for year after year we've been trying to win a 4 quarter game by playing 3 quarters. I've got to think it's an institutional thing. We've got to break it. Talent and size just won't matter until we play 4 quarters.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:38 pm I just can't understand the inability to play 60 minutes. I understand ebbs and flows. But for year after year we've been trying to win a 4 quarter game by playing 3 quarters. I've got to think it's an institutional thing. We've got to break it. Talent and size just won't matter until we play 4 quarters.
Agreed LG. I have some real questions on how the coaching staff thought our goalie/defense needed to be improved. According to every metric I've read, they've gotten worse. What changed? Essentially, only 1 player. So, what other "factors" did???? Hearing in weekly podcasts that the players didn't execute the plans can only be "the reason" for so long. Time to start thinking about changing some key parts.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

According to a Ted Baker post on FB, Hobart is in the A 10 tourney IF we beat UMass and High Point beats St. Joes. If St. Joes beats HPU, then Hobart has to outscore UMass by 5 or more 15-11 won't cut it. A very tall order. Garber's Gorillas have an AA goalie and their FOGO outdueled St. Joes Cole yday. That's a tall order.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

This team doesn’t deserve to be in the postseason imo.

Too many wasted opportunities. A lot of changes need to be made.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

oldbartman wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:55 pm According to a Ted Baker post on FB, Hobart is in the A 10 tourney IF we beat UMass and High Point beats St. Joes. If St. Joes beats HPU, then Hobart has to outscore UMass by 5 or more 15-11 won't cut it. A very tall order. Garber's Gorillas have an AA goalie and their FOGO outdueled St. Joes Cole yday. That's a tall order.
+1
Knote 50% yesterday but made some great saves and didn’t give up any cheap goals
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

To be sure, this season has been disappointing to watch, but there have been real flashes of potential. The team struggled, but it is also very young, and it will be fun to watch them develop over the next few years.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

PDSlax wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:41 am To be sure, this season has been disappointing to watch, but there have been real flashes of potential. The team struggled, but it is also very young, and it will be fun to watch them develop over the next few years.
Yes, for sure. But it's always disappointing to be talking about next year before this year is over. Plus the blown leads and one goal games add insult to injury. Are we a 10-2 team that didn't meet it's potential or a 2-10 team that performed above expectations? I think the blown leads and high scores, coupled with a very experienced D, lands this year in the underperformed category.
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

Aside from the rest of the season ... it doesnt really matter what has been done up until this point. The reality is we control our own destiny , which quite frankly is all you can ask for. Why focus on "missed" opportunities ? The team can only learn from past games, and now move into this week understanding the challenge at hand ... win and you're in.

Excited to watch how this team responds this week. If we play like we did in 1H vs Richmond, i see us moving into the tournament getting hot when it matters most - End of April into May.

Look forward to watching these men compete this weekend.

Hip Hip.
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

PER IL:

In short, if the Statesmen win vs. UMass, they have a shot. A win vs. the Minutemen combined with a High Point win vs Saint Joseph’s puts Hobart in the field. Hobart also has a scenario in which it wins by more than four goals, High Point loses, and the Statesmen get in. There are more complicated scenarios depending on specific goals allowed and goal-differential tiebreakers, but none of that matters Friday at 5 p.m.

Correcting my previous comment about "win and your in" , its a bit more complicated than that ... however, the season comes down to how well the Statesman can compete for a full 60 minutes on Friday. Will need a good showing from Jude, Rosa, Delano, herlihy and co. More importantly ... NEED a good showing on the Defensive side of the ball!

HIP HIP !
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I'm not real happy with this week's podcast. It's lots of the same old story ... "poor execution" and "yada yada yada." I think we have deeper problems. I did not see the game last week, but per Ted's broadcast, it seems like we allowed ourselves to be spanked with outside shots ... against last year's best Hobart player, who has been a top outside shooter for 5 years. It was just too predictable.
Today will be exciting if we show up well. I've given up expecting anything. If the O gets hot, anything is possible. But the UMASS goalie could simply stifle us. If that happens, and the O goes stale, then we're in trouble.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We can get this one if the d puts in on lock/
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DMac

Post by DMac »

Damn, that 10th goal hurt. Bart's got to stop settling for shots from sooooo far out, just makes it a whole lot easier on the GK.
Good game, intense.
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

Where's Rosa?
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

Do refs not call pushes from behind?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PDSlax wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:43 pm Do refs not call pushes from behind?
That was a terrible miss but it’s Amherst where felony murder gets you an alternative possession call.

Two second half goals. D did fine but offense couldn’t put it together.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”