Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by Brownlax »

Ivyman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:47 am In the stadium after the power failed and play resumed with manual timekeeping it felt to me so much like a soccer match in extra time. Incredible urgency with terrifying awareness that at any moment regulation could be over. At least at that point we were tied so in effect it was the same as OT. I was so glad to be there to see it, if I was home streaming my head would've exploded when the "commercial break" screen went up. I don't know how Coyle saw Blake all alone on the far post thru a mosh pit in front.
How did they handle the shot clock of they did not have power? Crazy stuff! We played Army in the late 80's and the power went out on us for a night game. We had huge momentum at the time of the blackout and our conspiracy theory was that they did it on purpose to pause the game to take away our flow.
Mr. Webber

Post by Mr. Webber »

More media heroism from Byron Brown (thank you, sir). Check out his YouTube video (link below) with select post-power outage highlights from yesterday, beginning with Army's possession that culminated in Johnson's first goal of the 4th quarter, making it 9-8 Cornell. Plenty of important moments captured, including two brilliant late defensive possessions leading to shot-clock violations (one by each team) and key late attacking-zone ground balls by Cornell. Not included: the sideline call prior to Cornell's final possession that caused Coach Alberici to lose his shizzle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vdrauJ6UMg

The power outage was frustrating, even for people like me who were in attendance. Its role in shifting the momentum toward Army was massive. But that shouldn't overshadow the incredibly gritty performance by both teams. Much respect for the Knights. Love their demeanor and approach to the game. Nice to see Ithaca's Ryan Sposito continuing to be such an important piece for Army.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Interesting that Army kept running that same pick play from X, that was successful I believe 3 times in a row until Cornell decided to take it away, and when they did, Army ran a great play on the other wing and Chayse made a great save.
On the final play where Blake gets knocked down after completing the pass up top (and theirs a suggestion that his fall was purposelful, to dupe the defender, but I would think that if it was true, he might have also acted like he was injured), but even if any of those conspiracy theories are true, in that situation, you would have thought the defender would have at least peeked back at Blake instead of leaving him wide open on the doorstep.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ezra White wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:11 am
Ivyman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:47 am I don't know how Coyle saw Blake all alone on the far post thru a mosh pit in front.
It was a set play. Most of the offense loads the other side of the field. Blake falls down and stays on the ground long enough for his defender to move over, backing up the other defenders on the other side. Meanwhile, Blake silently stands up and moves to the backdoor of the net. The pass is to Coyle, who passes to Blake, who shoots the goal.

:lol:
Not sure I would call it a set play, but Coyle was at X for back-up when Blake fell down at GLE and passed to Kelleher on the far side (and I don't think the fall was deliberate). Coyle saw all this, responded by moving from X to in front on Kelleher's side, took the pass from Kelleher, and fed Blake on the far doorstep, knowing Blake was there. Some nice lax IQ there by Coyle.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Victor defeated previously unbeaten Niskayuna: https://dailygazette.com/2023/04/15/vic ... -of-season

Sam Ricci, committed for next year, won all 17 first half faceoffs and was 24/26 for the game. He also dominated in Victor's prior upset of St. Mary's, MD.

Jack Herendeen, Attack, coming the following year, had 3/2 against Niskayuna and 2/3 against St. Mary's.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

It was great fun at West Pointe. While tailgating, It was awesome to watch the cadets practice parachute jumps out of the helicopters.

The game was a great battle, and I think it significant that Cornell showed that their offense can generate some goals without its top scorer. They did not wilt when Army had its run. When Cornell pushed ahead, Army never stopped working either.

After the hard fought game I saw Cornell and Army players taking some pictures together. That is a great thing.

Go Cornell and Army.

Just a great day and game. :)
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:51 am
Ivyman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:47 am In the stadium after the power failed and play resumed with manual timekeeping it felt to me so much like a soccer match in extra time. Incredible urgency with terrifying awareness that at any moment regulation could be over. At least at that point we were tied so in effect it was the same as OT. I was so glad to be there to see it, if I was home streaming my head would've exploded when the "commercial break" screen went up. I don't know how Coyle saw Blake all alone on the far post thru a mosh pit in front.
How did they handle the shot clock of they did not have power? Crazy stuff! We played Army in the late 80's and the power went out on us for a night game. We had huge momentum at the time of the blackout and our conspiracy theory was that they did it on purpose to pause the game to take away our flow.
Word is they used iPhones and spoken countdowns. I did not see the old "Clock's On" in the last minute. There were several play stoppages after it went dark and with the scorers platform built right into the grandstand it would have been nice to get a shout of time left that fans could have relayed.

Re tactical power failures: I played (rarely) on Ned Harkness' 1966 team and he has been accused of doing that exact thing with his hockey team once. 8-)
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ivyman wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:06 am
Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:51 am
Word is they used iPhones and spoken countdowns. I did not see the old "Clock's On" in the last minute. There were several play stoppages after it went dark and with the scorers platform built right into the grandstand it would have been nice to get a shout of time left that fans could have relayed.

Re tactical power failures: I played (rarely) on Ned Harkness' 1966 team and he has been accused of doing that exact thing with his hockey team once. 8-)
The article is in the January 2nd, 1967 SI vault. It's called "Poison Ivy". I'm not sure how to post the link.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Man,
that is some serious salesmanship right there :lol:

Harkness justifies the charge that many of Cornell's Canadian hockey players do attend the College of Agriculture with the incontrovertible fact that many of them are farmers by birth and breeding. It would be pretty silly, he says, for the Ferguson twins, Dave and Doug, who were raised on a wheat farm in Saskatchewan and intend to return to some type of agricultural life when they graduate, to major in, say, physics or the classics.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:14 am Here you go 👍

https://vault.si.com/vault/1967/01/02/t ... ivy-league
Thanks for posting that! It's been a while since I've read it.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:24 am Man,
that is some serious salesmanship right there :lol:

Harkness justifies the charge that many of Cornell's Canadian hockey players do attend the College of Agriculture with the incontrovertible fact that many of them are farmers by birth and breeding. It would be pretty silly, he says, for the Ferguson twins, Dave and Doug, who were raised on a wheat farm in Saskatchewan and intend to return to some type of agricultural life when they graduate, to major in, say, physics or the classics.
Of course, today Cornell's Canadian hockey (and lacrosse) players still enroll in the College of Agriculture, as do many from Long Island and elsewhere. But they enroll in majors like Applied Economics and Management. Only recently did Cornell begin an undergraduate business program.
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

The organization that accredits business schools changed its criteria around 2000. As a result, for the Johnson Graduate School of Management to maintain its accreditation, every program at Cornell that taught general business courses also had to become accredited. Hotel was exempted because its program was so specialized, as was the College of Industrial and Labor Relations. However, the Department of Agricultural, Resource and Managerial Economics [newer name for the Ag. Econ. major] offered too many courses like general marketing, finance and accounting so it went through the accreditation process. Even before accreditation, Ag.Ec./ARME was a very popular major with athletes, especially those from NY since you could pay in-state tuition and end up working on Wall Street. While admission standards in the College of Agriculture might be more relaxed in some majors than in engineering physics, over the last 25-30 years, admission to the undergraduate business program has become extremely competitive. When I retired in 2018, Dyson was the most selective undergraduate program at Cornell.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

enterprise wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:43 pm The organization that accredits business schools changed its criteria around 2000. As a result, for the Johnson Graduate School of Management to maintain its accreditation, every program at Cornell that taught general business courses also had to become accredited. Hotel was exempted because its program was so specialized, as was the College of Industrial and Labor Relations. However, the Department of Agricultural, Resource and Managerial Economics [newer name for the Ag. Econ. major] offered too many courses like general marketing, finance and accounting so it went through the accreditation process. Even before accreditation, Ag.Ec./ARME was a very popular major with athletes, especially those from NY since you could pay in-state tuition and end up working on Wall Street. While admission standards in the College of Agriculture might be more relaxed in some majors than in engineering physics, over the last 25-30 years, admission to the undergraduate business program has become extremely competitive. When I retired in 2018, Dyson was the most selective undergraduate program at Cornell.
When I was at Cornell, I was in a fraternity and all the hockey players in my Frat were Ag. Ec. Majors. The 2 wrestlers were curiously Engineering majors and the 1 lax player was an Architect. Pretty eclectic group. Oh, and the Golfer was in the Arts school.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Gavin Adler and C J Kirst named to the Tewey final 25:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nced/61241
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:50 pm Gavin Adler and C J Kirst named to the Tewey final 25:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nced/61241
Interesting that 7/25 nominees are grad students. IMHO, grad students should not be eligible.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Important game vs Brown today. I hope Cornell laxers show up with energy and focus. Go Big Red!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Great win! Team looked very good.

CJ Kirst 9 points (6,3) I counted at least two caused turnovers by him.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Super, super full TEAM effort. Offense, defense, special teams, goalie, and fought hard at X.
Interesting stat:
Without Micheal Long: 6-2. Very Good Team
With Micheal Long: 4-0. Great Team.

Things locked up today;
1. Ivy league Tournament
2. Definite bid to NCAA
3. Kirst will be in the final 5 for TEWY
4. Almost have locked a seed and another home game.

OK, Kirst shutout last week puts up a 6 pack but what makes him so unique is that he has great vision and can put up assist numbers also, 3 today and is great in the ride.

Staub, Box, Davis, Wallace, Pysllos etc are just hard workers.

The defense is so solid and make the other teams offense work for every inch of space. Cornell giving up less than 10 goals per game always gives the offense a chance.

I sound like a broken record but this coaching staff is amazing. This team is ALWAYS prepared.

1 game left to get the top seed in ILT next week.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Today's outcome was what I expected; that is, given 'what happened' against Harvard, there was no way the coaching staff was going to allow the team to go into the game unprepared - mentally, physically, and x & o's. And they took care of business.
A number of observations.....
Offense:
-Brown showed a bunch of different defensive looks - and Cornell's offense adjusted accordingly. For example, on many possession, they put a ss on Kirst and double poled our middies. That's why after Kelleher's initial goal on a north-south dodge, there was far less north-south dodging than we're used to. But Brown would slide to Kirst as he could beat the shortie. But Kirst is so good, rather than forcing things, he was hitting the open man. So Brown went back to a pole. Eventually, more possessions with a ss on Kirst, but they face-guarded him. Perhaps that's why he was somewhat quiet in the 2nd half. Brown also played a bunch of zone in the 2nd. Cornell attacked it patiently and scored late in a few possessions.
-Highlight goals - Coyle from a wing through the 5 hole, Wirtheim in front of the crease twice off of nice interior passes, and the best was Kirst from the left wing after lowering his stick head.
-Buczek started the game alternating Luzzi with (I think) Holmes. There also seemed to be a lot of early on middie line mixing.
-Kirst - not sure people realize how big he is; look at him next to the other offensive players (except 27). He's taller and almost twice as thick.
Defense:
-Shut out Brown in the 4th quarter and a good part of the 3rd after Brown cut the score to 12-9. Again, I really like our poles. Very connected all day. 'Our first real look at Matt Dooley who split lots of time with Singer. He looked/played very confidently. And at 6'4", like his size.
-3 excellent starts in a row at ss for Rayhill. He's probably now 2 or 3 in the rotation. Box continues to get targeted and hurt, not due to lack of speed, but IMO size. I hope Bozzi returns for the ILT. He wasn't in uniform at Army, but I watched him hold a stick. Looked at least a few weeks away.
-Ierlan - not many first half saves, but not many Brown shots. He was excellent in the 2nd half.
*Lots of blown calls (again) - a FO violation on Cascadden who threw up his hands in disbelief - it was the Brown guy; 2 illegal Brown picks (Buczek not happy) right after they called one on Cornell, two clearly wrong closest to the ball calls, etc. But they missed a few on Cornell as well.
*The extra bonus for Cornell fans who streamed on ESPN+ was that the ultra-obnoxious Brown play-by-play guy was on good behavior today; but I attribute that to the fact that Brown was losing throughout.
*I'm sure my thoughts about entering today's game well prepared will hold true for next week's game vs. Princeton. LGR.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”