Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ezra White

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by Ezra White »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:12 pm
nms wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:35 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:48 pm Isn’t it just simpler to force Columbia to field a Division I men’s lacrosse team and then have an Ivy League tournament in which all 8 teams compete?

I mean, when you need an Ivy League degree to understand the tie breakers, then maybe y’all should have a little talk with Columbia and straighten them out.

DocBarrister ;)
That would mean 1 more team competing for the AQ.
The ACC is the league that desperately needs another team.
Have them talk to BC, NCst etc.
the acc does not desperately need another team.

columbia club folks guys are pushing it now. not sure why in their case, & who knows if it'll ever have legs. probably checkbook size oriented.
I bet if some Columbia alum offered to donate US$1 B for lacrosse, there'd be lacrosse at Columbia.

Hopkins is one of a few schools that the IL might accept, but wouldn't it need to start playing D-I football and basketball to join?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Ezra White wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:43 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:48 pm Isn’t it just simpler to force Columbia to field a Division I men’s lacrosse team and then have an Ivy League tournament in which all 8 teams compete?

I mean, when you need an Ivy League degree to understand the tie breakers, then maybe y’all should have a little talk with Columbia and straighten them out.

DocBarrister ;)

columbia club folks guys are pushing it now. not sure why in their case, & who knows if it'll ever have legs. probably checkbook size oriented.
I bet if some Columbia alum offered to donate US$1 B for lacrosse, there'd be lacrosse at Columbia.

Hopkins is one of a few schools that the IL might accept, but wouldn't it need to start playing D-I football and basketball to join?
absolutely. just over half of that funds the entire athletic dept.

on the latter, no idea but i'm sure something could be worked out if the former happened.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:50 pm
Ezra White wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:43 pm

DocBarrister ;)

absolutely. just over half of that funds the entire athletic dept.

on the latter, no idea but i'm sure something could be worked out if the former happened.
Blue Jays are already outgrowing Division III. A president of a competitor Division III school (Middlebury?) already complained about “unfair” advantages that Johns Hopkins had competing at the Division III level.

Not saying there will be any changes. I think the Athletic Department likes the status quo.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:42 pm Blue Jays are already outgrowing Division III. A president of a competitor Division III school (Middlebury?) already complained about “unfair” advantages that Johns Hopkins had competing at the Division III level.

Not saying there will be any changes. I think the Athletic Department likes the status quo.

DocBarrister
What's that based on? Size-wise, Hopkins doesn't seem too out of whack for a d-III school, at least from and undergraduate perspective. Are they complaining about the fact that they have a d-I lacrosse program, and that that somehow gives them an unfair advantage in other sports? (especially since, if I'm not mistaken, they can offer scholarships for lacrosse).

I don't really see Hopkins having an unfair advantage in d-III; they middle of the pack (not counting their significant postgrad numbers, which admittedly is not the norm for d-III, but which also has little impact on athletics).

Hell, some of those UWisconsin schools are almost as big as SEC schools; talk about outgrowing d-III.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Hopkins has about the same number of undergraduates as Tufts, at a bit over 6,000. Bring Tufts into the IL, I’m sure that would make a lot of NESCaC coaches happy.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

An important slate of Ivy games: 2 more teams (Penn and Cornell) can nail down an ILT slot with a win. Princeton is already in but their game matters to them for seeding (and whether or not they beat Harvard appears to matter considerably to those vying for the 4th ILT spot in a tiebreaker scenario).
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

I leave you kids alone in the yard for 15 minutes to go grab sushi and two bottles of Opus One - and upon my return Hopkins has joined the Ivy League?!?! Put those toys away now, and mow the lawn!
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

ctbagataway wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:39 am Hopkins has about the same number of undergraduates as Tufts, at a bit over 6,000. Bring Tufts into the IL, I’m sure that would make a lot of NESCaC coaches happy.
Nah...that would make it harder to poach their coaches.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ctbagataway wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:39 am Hopkins has about the same number of undergraduates as Tufts, at a bit over 6,000. Bring Tufts into the IL, I’m sure that would make a lot of NESCaC coaches happy.
The Ivy probably has zero interest in adding (or subtracting) a school. It ain't the Big 10, ya know. Still, makes for some fun banter; Hop has the right general profile, but is on the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon. I bet Tufts is pretty happy in D3.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

It’s amazing that the Ivy League forum can be hijacked by the Hopkins thread. You already have the most pages in Lax Forum - leave the Ivies to the Ivies!! 😂😂
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:37 am It’s amazing that the Ivy League forum can be hijacked by the Hopkins thread. You already have the most pages in Lax Forum - leave the Ivies to the Ivies!! 😂😂
The fine folks at Hopworld (sort of like Westworld, but for lax) are looking for diversions from nail biting and fretting over their upcoming monster tilt in the belly of the beast. Let's be welcoming, as they are next level Shat Bit Crazy - and that's why we love 'em! :lol:
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Cornell of 6-4 after the 1st quarter. Brown with 7 turnovers. Can’t keep giving the Big Red so many opportunities. Kirst with 4 goals already. He’s deadly!
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

11-6 Cornell at the half. Brown with 15 first half turnovers. Brown is averaging almost 18 turnovers a game which is really tough to watch. Take care of the damn ball.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The sky looks overcast. Both goalies have unusually low save percentages thus far. I know it's a bit old fashioned, but an orange or yellow ball might be in order.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The ILT possibilities are now down to 4:

Harvard-Yale winner gets the #4 seed.

If Cornell beats Princeton, the top 3 seeds are Cornell, Penn, Princeton.

If Princeton beats Cornell, the top 3 seeds are Princeton, Cornell, Penn.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:59 pm The ILT possibilities are now down to 4:

Harvard-Yale winner gets the #4 seed.

If Cornell beats Princeton, the top 3 seeds are Cornell, Penn, Princeton.

If Princeton beats Cornell, the top 3 seeds are Princeton, Cornell, Penn.
It's a great way to end the regular season... Historic rivalries Harvard/Yale and Cornell/Princeton (at least in lacrosse) both having an impact on the ILT, and for Cornell and Princeton, the Ivy regular season championship.
Lager

Post by Lager »

My prediction is Yale beats Harvard and gets into the ILT. They will then be a dangerous and motivated team.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Lager wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:55 pm My prediction is Yale beats Harvard and gets into the ILT. They will then be a dangerous and motivated team.
Solid prediction...
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:05 pm
Lager wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:55 pm My prediction is Yale beats Harvard and gets into the ILT. They will then be a dangerous and motivated team.
Solid prediction...
Desire for revenge and knowing how capable Y is make me hope H beats Y.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ezra White wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:21 am
faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:05 pm
Solid prediction...
Desire for revenge and knowing how capable Y is make me hope H beats Y.
Anything is possible. In the past they've played this game at Harvard Stadium and not Jordan Field. It could be quite a spectacle.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”