NCAA Selection Discussion - Containment Thread

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: NCAA Selection Discussion - Containment Thread

Post by rolldodge »

laxreference wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:33 am
rolldodge wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:00 am
NOVALax2015 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:44 am Interesting discussion, especially the zero-sum nature of 2 teams with the same schedule: one with better wins, the other with better losses. It all gets to what you want in the tourney. Do you reward consistency, which would point to the team with better losses? IMO, no. For bubble teams, I'd prefer the team with the higher "standard deviation" of performance - the team with better wins (and worse losses) - as that team is more likely to upset a highly ranked team in the tourney.
I agree. Teams should be judged mainly by their wins. Losses should be accounted for but carry less weight. Wins should always improve a teams standing, losses should always hurt.
I was really surprised that this was not the dominant opinion actually. I did a twitter poll asking the question above about the same record + a win vs a lowly ranked team. Not that it's scientific and who knows how many of the answers were trolling, but 57% said that the team with the extra win should be left out.

I would be fine with the boost from a terrible win being very close to zero, but I feel like it has to be positive certainly.
I suspect its a bit of Stockholm Syndrome. And a case of people confusing what they think "would" happen vs what they think "should" happen.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

rolldodge wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:14 am I suspect its a bit of Stockholm Syndrome. And a case of people confusing what they think "would" happen vs what they think "should" happen.
It's funny, when I originally posted the question, I said "who would get the bid". And then thinking the same thing I changed it to "should get the bid". Hoped to avoid that exact situation, but you are probably right.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

laxreference wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:25 am
rolldodge wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:14 am I suspect its a bit of Stockholm Syndrome. And a case of people confusing what they think "would" happen vs what they think "should" happen.
It's funny, when I originally posted the question, I said "who would get the bid". And then thinking the same thing I changed it to "should get the bid". Hoped to avoid that exact situation, but you are probably right.
Doesn't Team B have a "better" winning percentage?

Yes.

There, fixed it for you.

TEAM B gets a bid......your sales manager doesn't give a crap about your rpi/sos.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:04 am

Yes.

There, fixed it for you.

TEAM B gets a bid......your sales manager doesn't give a crap about your rpi/sos.
What if... the regular season was entirely out of conference. Teams got assigned schedules that ranged across all other conferences.

Then, the conference tournaments were an extension of the NCAA tournament. All teams get invited to their conference tournament. Winner gets an AQ. At larges then selected from the settled dust.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Yes.

There, fixed it for you.

The only way this works is if scheduling is highly controlled and centralized, a la the NFL.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

rolldodge wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:31 am

Yes.

There, fixed it for you.

What if... the regular season was entirely out of conference. Teams got assigned schedules that ranged across all other conferences.

Then, the conference tournaments were an extension of the NCAA tournament. All teams get invited to their conference tournament. Winner gets an AQ. At larges then selected from the settled dust.
yeah, why not ?

laxmasons will cry "rivalry" and "tradition", but the vast majority of the lacrosse world, like the thousands of newbies introduced to the sport their sophomore year at places like Harrisonburg, Va or Bellow Falls, Vt, could give a crap.

These same kids buy lacrosse stuff, yes ?

lacrosse is a wonderful, beautiful sport. everything the creator intended. Being serious. won't bore with "political type " thought ...

ironic, we/software, did exactly that, as a "model". Nationwide scheduling. (one based on the scary climate change carbon footprint thing. Starting in 2025, teams like UMBC will have to walk to games. Umass to Yale is a one day bike trip )

Wouldn't be fun for Maryland to stop for dinner at his mentees and former players home around Burlington, vt.

Or Hopkins visiting former standout player, coach, in Providence, RI .

Shame, with so many :roll: Hopkins fans in the world, you would think that NEVER having played a single, regular season game against a New England college lacrosse program, would bug them. The drive from Weston Mass. to 'Cuse or Princeton (the closest to Boston area ), is mostly a hotel stay. Watching Hopkins play Harvard ? You don't even have time to finish a small "cigar" on the car ride home.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

rolldodge wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:10 pm

Yes.

There, fixed it for you.

The only way this works is if scheduling is highly controlled and centralized, a la the NFL.
Sure, reality dictates otherwise.

My emphasis is on inter league/OOC play. Or the lack there of. Easy to use a "formula" to take this into account, too.

Navy and Loyola.......mainly the only two from the Patriot league, that hit up the usual suspects schedules. Wahoos are gonna take a massive rpi hit after playing Lafayette, getting another taste of Holy Cross' sour, winless season. Already had sloppy seconds from playing 'Cuse.

but , yeah, using winning % is silly.......
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:25 pm

Yes.

There, fixed it for you.

yeah, why not ?

laxmasons will cry "rivalry" and "tradition", but the vast majority of the lacrosse world, like the thousands of newbies introduced to the sport their sophomore year at places like Harrisonburg, Va or Bellow Falls, Vt, could give a crap.

lacrosse is a wonderful, beautiful sport. everything the creator intended. Being serious. won't bore with "political type " thought ...

ironic, we/software, did exactly that, as a "model". Nationwide scheduling. (one based on the scary climate change carbon footprint thing. Starting in 2025, teams like UMBC will have to walk to games. Umass to Yale is a one day bike trip )

Wouldn't be fun for Maryland to stop for dinner at his mentees and former players home around Burlington, vt.

Shame, with so many :roll: Hopkins fans in the world, you would think that NEVER having played a single, regular season game against a New England college lacrosse program, would bug them. The drive from Weston Mass. to 'Cuse or Princeton (the closest to Boston area ), is mostly a hotel stay. Watching Hopkins play Harvard ? You don't even have time to finish a small "cigar" on the car ride home.
You get your "rivalry" and "tradition" in the conference tournament. Conferences have little to do nowadays with location.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

rolldodge wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:44 pm

Yes.

There, fixed it for you.

yeah, why not ?

You get your "rivalry" and "tradition" in the conference tournament. Conferences have little to do nowadays with location.
Carc won't cut your hair with that kind of attitude.....
Last edited by runrussellrun on Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:49 pm
rolldodge wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:44 pm

Yes.

There, fixed it for you.

yeah, why not ?

Carc won't your hair with that kind of attitude.....
:lol:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Latest committee top 10:

comm-4.29.jpg
comm-4.29.jpg (200.88 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:23 pm Latest committee top 10:

comm-4.29.jpg
Ridiculous to have Denver at 10 rather than Penn. Penn has better RPI (10 vs. 11), better SOS (7 vs. 21) and a 2-3 record against top 10 teams vs. Denver's 0-3.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Gobigred wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:49 pm

comm-4.29.jpg
Ridiculous to have Denver at 10 rather than Penn. Penn has better RPI (10 vs. 11), better SOS (7 vs. 21) and a 2-3 record against top 10 teams vs. Denver's 0-3.
Is Penn getting "Cornelled" by the committee?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:05 pm

comm-4.29.jpg
Is Penn getting "Cornelled" by the committee?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Parting gift to Tierney?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

This committee is definitely producing head-scratching rankings, like Army #10 last week.

I also remember that a few years back when @laxfilmroom did a machine-learning analysis of committee choices, the interim rankings actually had a negative correlation with final results. I suspect that the committee members (who all have day jobs) do not put a lot of time or effort into these.
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

comm-4.29.jpg
Not to mention Penn has the better "best" win (#6 RPI Georgetown vs. Denver's best win over #12 RPI Villanova).

Not to say that Penn is "in", but they should certainly be ahead of Denver at this point in the rankings/selection process.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Bluecollar wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:27 pm

comm-4.29.jpg
Not to mention Penn has the better "best" win (#6 RPI Georgetown vs. Denver's best win over #12 RPI Villanova).

Not to say that Penn is "in", but they should certainly be ahead of Denver at this point in the rankings/selection process.
Penn fcuked up this season, so their back’s against the wall. Win the Ivy tourney, simple. Take charge.

Christ I don’t want to hear any Notre Dame-esque whingeing.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Did Denver not fckup? what makes them any different?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:20 pm Did Denver not fckup? what makes them any different?
Don’t care about Denver.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:29 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:20 pm Did Denver not fckup? what makes them any different?
Don’t care about Denver.
so why did you reply to a post talking about them?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”