media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
OCanada

Re: media matters

Post by OCanada »

Do not forget the “other” suit in line. They may not be as interested in a settlement.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:30 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:54 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:36 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:02 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:18 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:51 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:32 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:57 pm Apparently no settlement (yet?); opening statements should be fun.
Settled after jury selection. Agreement to pay Dominion $787,500,000.00. I assume there will be a retraction/apology in there somewhere.
Fox didn’t do anything wrong. Just putting it out there.
And as if it's a complete surprise, the Fox News home page has NOTHING on the settlement. I scrolled all the way down to the copyright statement. Nothing to see here. Keep moving along.
There is still the Smartmatic suit against Fox, which a lot of lawyers think is better than Dominion's.
The big missing piece in the Dominion settlement (which is 10 times what they valued the entire company $30-80 million...!) is any direct admission from the Fox News anchors that they were lying, and no fulsome apology, just that we 'acknowledge the Court's findings (that we lied).

"We acknowledge the Court’s rulings finding certain claims about Dominion to be false. This settlement reflects FOX’s continued commitment to the highest journalistic standards. We are hopeful that our decision to resolve this dispute with Dominion amicably, instead of the acrimony of a divisive trial, allows the country to move forward from these issues."

But of course, the publicity of the actual caught redhanded lying through their teeth, over and over again, did get out...man, they should have settled sooner...

Maybe Smartmatic will be tougher on demanding on-air apologies. Full statements and admissions.

But I bet they take a whopping number to go away too.

And then there are the scum NewsMax and OAN, and Guiliani, Lindell, and Powell etc...Dominion's lawyers are sitting on a heck of a litigation war chest.
... this isn't the end, by a long shot. Initially I was disappointed it didn't go to trial. but thinking about it is a small thing. FOX viewers aren't totally in the dark. This is the beginning, not the end. Big loss for FOX. Big win for American democracy. It serves notice to would be right wing we can lie with impunity businesses. There is a lot more litigation to be adjudicated.
Here's more about the value of Dominion prior to the 2020 election:
https://www.reuters.com/legal/foxs-7875 ... 023-04-18/

I think they'll win sizable settlements from OAN and Newsmax, though obviously they don't have as deep pockets. I'd like them to own My Pillow!

Smartmatic may well land an even bigger settlement, but I hope they don't settle before these guys testify in open court...preferably with cameras...but that's just wishful thinking. Probably take a big money settlement and similar wishy washy "acknowledgment".
... a thought. FOX's viewers need to sue them for feeding them lies for all these years. A business plan based on misinformation. Discovery would be great fun. Would only be possible as a class action suit, if possible at all. Settlement would be huge.
Not sure how that would work, but I do think that Fox's shareholder's have a legit damages beef with the Board and management. That suit is apparently in the works.
... we have product liability laws in this country. FOX produced an intentionally defective product. The customers who relied on this product should be able to sue for damages. Obvious case are the peripheral folks who got caught up in Jan 6. But why not others who based other life decisions on this lie, which downstream caused them harm? Then there are the knock on effects, parties harmed by FOX customers because they believed the sh*t. Don't think it is a layup, but there are a lot of folks fitting the description it seems to me. Just saying.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Faux news:

https://i.imgur.com/ZKd5iHt.jpg

Lying has its costs.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
runrussellrun

chump change

Post by runrussellrun »

[so called....journalist

so called......
Last edited by runrussellrun on Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Buzzfeed to close:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/20 ... s-closing/

"BuzzFeed News, a pioneering digital news site that won a Pulitzer Prize and stirred controversy by publishing the Steele dossier, said Thursday it will close after 12 years.

The news was broken to dismayed employees in an email from the site’s co-founder and chief executive, Jonah Peretti, who wrote the company couldn’t maintain a standalone news organization and cited “more challenges that I can count,” including the pandemic, declining advertising and “a tech recession.”

He also blamed himself, writing that he was “slow to accept” the challenges in building a site around free digital journalism. “I could have managed these changes better as the CEO of this company and our leadership team could have performed better despite these circumstances,” Peretti wrote.

Parent company BuzzFeed Inc. plans to lay off roughly 180 employees – representing 15 percent of the company’s total workforce of about 1,200 – and begin shuttering BuzzFeed News, which was started in late 2011 as an adjunct to BuzzFeed.com, a website that specializes in creating more frivolous content such as viral “listicles” about celebrities and popular culture.

The company plans to preserve old BuzzFeed news articles on Buzfeed.com, which will continue to operate along with its sister publication, HuffPost.

“I’m heartsick about it,” said the site’s former editor-in-chief Ben Smith, who is now editor-in-chief of Semafor, and author of a forthcoming book about the history of this era in digital media. "I do think it marks the end of the marriage between news and social media. "

BuzzFeed – a pioneer of viral content and pop-culture listicles at the time – started its news division in 2011 with grand ambitions to package hard-hitting journalism for the digital age. It poached Smith from Politico to serve as the first editor-in-chief, with plans to create “the definitive social news organization.”

BuzzFeed News employed reporters with impressive credentials to follow through on that vision, and its journalists were soon landing scoops, such as Republican Mitt Romney locking down Sen. John McCain’s endorsement in the 2012 presidential race.

BuzzFeed carved a lane for itself in political journalism, with a research team unearthing politicians’ misbehavior, and its reporters getting poached by more established media companies such as CNN and the New York Times.

It also notched other journalistic triumphs. BuzzFeed News won a Pulitzer Prize in 2021 for a series on the mass detention of Uyghurs Muslims by China. An investigation into R. Kelly’s sexual misconduct by long-time music journalist Jim DeRogatis was part of a series of events that culminated in the singer’s conviction. And reporter Krystie Lee Yandoli exposed the “toxic work culture" at Ellen DeGeneres’s talk show; DeGeneres ultimately decided to end the program.

Not all its scoops were roundly praised. Shortly after the 2016 presidential election, BuzzFeed published a leaked copy of the so-called Steele dossier, a collection of largely unverified reports that claimed the Russian government had compromising information about Donald Trump. Almost none of the information was subsequently proven, and today the dossier’s publication is widely viewed as an example of irresponsible journalism.

Like many other start-ups, BuzzFeed News struggled to build a profitable business model around digital journalism. BuzzFeed opted to keep most of its content free while competitors erected paywalls, while also rolling out a paid-membership program.

When the company went public in 2021, it anticipated the move would bring in more investment with a deal valuing BuzzFeed at $1.5 billion.

A year later, the company was worth about a third of that.

BuzzFeed had gone through several rounds of buyouts and layoffs before its end was announced Thursday. In early 2019, about 15 percent of its staff was laid off – 219 employees including 43 journalists. A year after winning a Pulitzer, BuzzFeed offered buyouts to 36 people within its news division, shedding staff in coverage areas such as investigative reporting and politics."
Brooklyn

Re: chump change

Post by Brooklyn »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:12 am
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:34 am Faux news:

https://i.imgur.com/ZKd5iHt.jpg

Lying has its costs.
chump change.

fhizer is laughing at that amount........they had to pay way more for their crimes. (only, fhizer didn't settle ;)

You pay attention to the horrible evil going on , just to your north, brookie? man, the corruption in Canada IS something worthy of the British Emprie.....

Sorry, dunno a d@mn thing about Canada except that they produce some good hockey players and pro wrestlers there.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:34 pm About sums it up.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrJcqIJo ... MyMTA2M2Y=
That's from 5 years ago (2018) and they're all Sinclair outlets. Sinclair has been snapping up affiliates all over and is a pretty conservative and pro-Trump organization.

Why Sinclair Made Dozens of Local News Anchors Recite the Same Script
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:10 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:34 pm About sums it up.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrJcqIJo ... MyMTA2M2Y=
That's from 5 years ago (2018) and they're all Sinclair outlets. Sinclair has been snapping up affiliates all over and is a pretty conservative and pro-Trump organization.

Why Sinclair Made Dozens of Local News Anchors Recite the Same Script
One thing they got right: "this is extremely dangerous to our democracy".

Fox and Fox affiliates owned by Sinclair. Propaganda media.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:50 pm
Last edited by runrussellrun on Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:59 am

why are we not shocked......but, the collective YOU are all up to date/current affairs on all things China/Ukraine/NATO/etc.

....just not our facist "friends" up North. Persnoally, if I run into a Canadian, here in the USA.......I go out of my way to give them grief if they support Justin and his bank account, climate tax, corruption...

REBEL NEWS..........check em out. (instead...the rats scurry off to "media matters", because, billgates doesn't run that website too.

morons

As one wise man said a few decades ago, all I know is what I read in the newspapers. Re Justin, yeah the right wingers hate him but he keeps getting re-elected because he's doing a better job than his haters give him credit for.

Re "morons", well, best not to use too much pejorative lest ye be punished by the admin. ;)

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:14 am

why are we not shocked......but, the collective YOU are all up to date/current affairs on all things China/Ukraine/NATO/etc.

....just not our facist "friends" up North. Persnoally, if I run into a Canadian, here in the USA.......I go out of my way to give them grief if they support Justin and his bank account, climate tax, corruption...

REBEL NEWS..........check em out. (instead...the rats scurry off to "media matters", because, billgates doesn't run that website too.

morons

As one wise man said a few decades ago, all I know is what I read in the newspapers. Re Justin, yeah the right wingers hate him but he keeps getting re-elected because he's doing a better job than his haters give him credit for.

Re "morons", well, best not to use too much pejorative lest ye be punished by the admin. ;)
Re "morons", as used in that context, pretty sure it ain't worse than 'scum' that some others apply... ;)

I agree re Trudeau, he ticks off the right wingers, but there's sound reason why he keeps winning.
Brooklyn

Re: Trudeau

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:21 am

Re "morons", as used in that context, pretty sure it ain't worse than 'scum' that some others apply... ;)

I agree re Trudeau, he ticks off the right wingers, but there's sound reason why he keeps winning.

Many right wingers are jealous of Justin's good looks and his ability to dazzle attractive women:

https://www.huffpost.com/archive/ca/ent ... _b_8362144

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

are
Last edited by runrussellrun on Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Responsible media exposes Oklahoma right wing political corruption and racism:

https://twitter.com/cwebbonline/status/ ... 0217846500

threats against the media, calls for lynchings, hate, violence, etc ~ so typical of right wingers

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:40 am

morons

People that use bill gates owned and controlled "media matters" are morons.

And the only thing Trudeau is doing a "better job" at is being a facist. Oh.....and the corruption. I posted Trudeau's corruption woes, ,with that fake charity that makes tRump look like the amateur husker/hustler that he is.

wonder what "media matters", or other "ratings" give Rebel News?

Yeah, Matt Taibi IS an enemy of freedom.

so, yes, "morons". anyone who "sources" first, instead of information gathering. The Washington Post ran several articles about "over counting" covid deaths. Does this make them untruthers and mis, or disinformationers ?

and, no doubt. "nimda" is the furthest thing from being an "official". The bias is embarrassing. banned a poster for providing actual facts, regarding "covid" information. oh well.

In lacrosse, when an official IS wrong.......he can be called out for it. this "guy" ? :shock: :shock:
Feel free to leave.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

[kd
Last edited by runrussellrun on Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Re: Trudeau

Post by runrussellrun »

or another.....try lat origin
Last edited by runrussellrun on Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:30 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:40 am

morons

People that use bill gates owned and controlled "media matters" are morons.

And the only thing Trudeau is doing a "better job" at is being a facist. Oh.....and the corruption. I posted Trudeau's corruption woes, ,with that fake charity that makes tRump look like the amateur husker/hustler that he is.

wonder what "media matters", or other "ratings" give Rebel News?

Yeah, Matt Taibi IS an enemy of freedom.

so, yes, "morons". anyone who "sources" first, instead of information gathering. The Washington Post ran several articles about "over counting" covid deaths. Does this make them untruthers and mis, or disinformationers ?

and, no doubt. "nimda" is the furthest thing from being an "official". The bias is embarrassing. banned a poster for providing actual facts, regarding "covid" information. oh well.

In lacrosse, when an official IS wrong.......he can be called out for it. this "guy" ?
:shock: :shock:
Feel free to leave.
Your reply is a clear violation of fanlax rules. If your reply ,which has NOTHING to do with my post/information, isn't trolling, what IS ?
Nope, it's not, though if you'd like to report it, go ahead.

My view is that if any poster doesn't like the way the site is administered they are free to leave. That includes you, me, anyone. We ALL have the freedom to 'leave the field'.

What does violate the rules is to attack admin (as you did above)... or to egregiously attack another poster for that matter. Usually that draws a warning, if reported, but if the poster has previously been warned, it may be direct into the box.

BTW, if you read my response above to Brooklyn's admonition re "morons", you may discern that I disagreed with his suggestion that you should be concerned with that generic usage drawing a flag from Admin, ala Brooklyn's own usage from time to time of "scum" when describing in a general way those he dislikes.

The issue is when one turns and makes it clear they're talking about a particular poster with whom they are engaging. That's potentially going to draw the "unsportsmanlike" flag.

"Trolling" is another flag altogether; the rule for that is clearly stated as well.

But again, if one really doesn't like the way the site is administered, they are free to simply leave.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Word around the internet that Tucker Carlson and Fox have parted ways and he will no longer be on the air effective IMMEDIATELY.

He must have a BIG deal with somebody else or something else is going on . He is t#1 rated show on Fox.

Return to “POLITICS”