This conference is wacky

Dickinson destroys swarthmore 17-4
Dickinson losses to mulenburg
Swarthmore crushes Muhlenburg

And swarthmore beats gettysburgh
SixBySix

Re: Centennial Conference 2023

Post by SixBySix »

SixBySix wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:47 pm So, putting aside that Swat/Haverford is always a knife fight in the dark regardless of how the teams have looked leading up to that game
For fun, some recent context for those who don't follow the rivalry as closely as I do:

-27-20 all-time record in favor of the Fords (thanks Mike Murphey :()
-6-4 in favor of Swat in the last 10 meetings
-Of those, 6 were one-goal games, 2 more were decided by two goals
-Of the one-goal games, 5 were decided in overtime or by a goal with less than 90 seconds left in the 4th
-Last year's game finished with Swat going up 11-9 with 45 seconds left, the Fords scoring at 0:23 and 0:05 to force OT, and the Garnet getting the overtime winner

It has been an absolutely spectacular rivalry series for the few who have been paying attention.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

So much for me asking if swat was too 8 team!
The centennial is doing its best impersonation of the nescac with the conference cannibalism
WashedUp06

Post by WashedUp06 »

Well Dickinson looks to be hitting its stride and the magical season for Swat was sidetracked over the weekend.

Watched the Mules v G'burg and Muhlenberg looked all the parts legit contender in my view throughout the game. The D mids for muhlenberg played well and caused a couple turnovers on G'burgs best guys and the shooters took advantage of a struggling keeper for the Bullets and put more points on them then anyone has all season.

The game came down to penalties late in the 3rd and 4th quarter. The Bullets took advantage and solidified a gutsy comeback under the lights. Mules lost to RIT in part bc of a 3 minute unreleasable stick penalty and allowed 3 quick goals during a 2 minute unreleasable cross check call on Saturday night.

2 calls/bad decisions away from knocking off 2 big power houses but at the end of the day a loss is a loss and they now need to execute in these final games. I believe that no one wants to draw them in the CC playoffs (if they make it) cause they are tough/dangerous group when they get clicking!
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

WashedUp06 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:47 am Well Dickinson looks to be hitting its stride and the magical season for Swat was sidetracked over the weekend.

Watched the Mules v G'burg and Muhlenberg looked all the parts legit contender in my view throughout the game. The D mids for muhlenberg played well and caused a couple turnovers on G'burgs best guys and the shooters took advantage of a struggling keeper for the Bullets and put more points on them then anyone has all season.

The game came down to penalties late in the 3rd and 4th quarter. The Bullets took advantage and solidified a gutsy comeback under the lights. Mules lost to RIT in part bc of a 3 minute unreleasable stick penalty and allowed 3 quick goals during a 2 minute unreleasable cross check call on Saturday night.

2 calls/bad decisions away from knocking off 2 big power houses but at the end of the day a loss is a loss and they now need to execute in these final games. I believe that no one wants to draw them in the CC playoffs (if they make it) cause they are tough/dangerous group when they get clicking!
Well said, without 4 locked-in Mandown goals to RIT and 3 Locked-in Mandown to Gettysburg and it's a different season for the Mules.
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

What is going on with Ursinus?!?! Did they lose that much to graduation. Looking at their three remaining games they may not win another game and could finish 1-7 in conference with their last year of having Neal.... The Centennial powers are starting to change with Swarhmore and Muhlenburg starting to rise and F&M and Ursinus starting to fall...
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

MDlacrosse45 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:10 am What is going on with Ursinus?!?! Did they lose that much to graduation. Looking at their three remaining games they may not win another game and could finish 1-7 in conference with their last year of having Neal.... The Centennial powers are starting to change with Swarhmore and Muhlenburg starting to rise and F&M and Ursinus starting to fall...
Meanwhile, they have been ranked all season in basically every media and coaches poll. 😴
secondarybreak

Post by secondarybreak »

laxrules wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:19 pm
The centennial is doing its best impersonation of the nescac with the conference cannibalism

Really glad that the Centennial playoffs expanded to 5 teams. It should be one heck of a show.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Going out on limb and predicting how the final 2 weeks play out with the remaining games:

Gettysburg- Dickinson W (probably a 52%-48% Bullet Edge at home), Washington W Finish 7-1

Swarthmore - Ursinus L (Ursinus is better than their record), McDaniel W, Haverford W (Fantastic rivalry could go either way) Finish 6-2

Dickinson - Gettysburg L, Haverford W, Ursinus W, Finish 6-2

Muhlenberg - Haverford W, F&M L (game in Lancaster) Finish 6-2

Washington - F&M W (in Chestertown), Ursinus W (in Chestertown), Finish 4-4

F&M - Washington L, Muhlenberg W, McDaniel W Finish 4-4

Washington takes the 5th playoff spot based on their head to head win over F&M. I will let smarter people figure out seeds 2-4. Should be a lot of fun!
oglaxgod420

Post by oglaxgod420 »

Still don’t think WAC has improved enough to take down the Dips this year. Sure, they’re down, but I think they’re bigger, stronger, faster than the Shoremen this year, but it being in Chestertown on Kibler Field makes it more interesting. What do you guys think? Tough loss this weekend, confidence for Nostrant and this squad must be low.
laxdad4394

Post by laxdad4394 »

How many spots in the NCAA tournament does the centennial conference get?
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

laxdad4394 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:22 pm How many spots in the NCAA tournament does the centennial conference get?
Think it can range anywhere from 2-3. Getting 4 would be a massive stretch and I don't see that happening even though Gburg, Swarthmore, Dickinson and Muhlenberg all have pretty impressive resumes. Biggest reason I don't see 3 or even 4 is that the group of Dickinson, Swat and Muhlenberg all have a loss that doesn't look great - Stevenson, Vassar and RPI. If those teams took care of business in those games the CC could look like a legit 4 bid league. Dickinson can pretty much nail in a really good Pool C resume with a win on Wednesday over the Bullets. Swarthmore needs to run the table and maybe win a CC playoff game to look good and Muhlenberg needs to win the conference to get in. Gburg would need to collapse down the stretch to lose their bid into the tournament.
WashedUp06

Post by WashedUp06 »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:27 pm
laxdad4394 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:22 pm How many spots in the NCAA tournament does the centennial conference get?
Think it can range anywhere from 2-3. Getting 4 would be a massive stretch and I don't see that happening even though Gburg, Swarthmore, Dickinson and Muhlenberg all have pretty impressive resumes. Biggest reason I don't see 3 or even 4 is that the group of Dickinson, Swat and Muhlenberg all have a loss that doesn't look great - Stevenson, Vassar and RPI. If those teams took care of business in those games the CC could look like a legit 4 bid league. Dickinson can pretty much nail in a really good Pool C resume with a win on Wednesday over the Bullets. Swarthmore needs to run the table and maybe win a CC playoff game to look good and Muhlenberg needs to win the conference to get in. Gburg would need to collapse down the stretch to lose their bid into the tournament.
I think the 2 teams that make the conference championship make it in (unless WAC makes the 'ship and loses) ...dependent on if any of the teams you listed dont lose a head scratcher in the final weeks.

3 teams may make it only if G'burg doesnt make the conference finals. Don't legitimately see a path for 4 teams making it.

If the season ended today:
(4)Mules v (5)WAC - for the play in game - say Mules win

(4)Mules v (1) G'burg - G'burg wins
(2) Dickinson v (3) Swat - Dickinson wins

Both Dickinson + G'Burg make the playoffs

If Mules and Swat win and they play in the 'ship, then there is a legit argument for both + G'burg to make the tourney.

WAC could play a major spoiler in all of this if they can go on a massive run
laxdad4394

Post by laxdad4394 »

What has been going wrong for Ursinus this season?
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Late to the party as I am just getting back from a work trip, but we have a great Wednesday slate today. Now for some picks

-Dickinson vs Gettysburg- Dickinson seems to be clicking on all cylinders after a 3 game slide. The offense welcomed back all of its pieces and the defense has looked much better in recent weeks. The Bullets were gifted a game after Muhlenberg fell apart in the final quarter. The Bullets continue to struggle in the cage and at the face off dot. Something I predicted before the season started. You can see the frustration in the defense as easy saves go in. On the offensive side they have been scoring and I believe this has been a bright spot for them. Dickinson shooters dominate Red Devils 15-12

-Swarthmore vs Ursinus- As predicted Swarthmore flew to close to the sun to many times and were due for a let down game. Face-offs and bad offensive turnovers plagued the Garnett vs Dickinson and its tough to win games when you dig yourself into a 6 goal hole. Ursinus gave it their all but just hasn't been able to play a complete game all season. When the offense is on the defense is off and vice versa. I said at the beginning of the year coaching was going to hold them back and I think It has, they have really struggled in most games this season. Talent only gets you so far in the CC Swarthmore 15-11

-F&M vs Washington- The Shoremen come in licking their wounds after a tough outing vs their arch rivals. F&M continues to show they can score when they get into a rhythm but can they get defensive stops when they need too. My bias is going to show here but I think Washington sees what is the line here and the upperclassmen have been through to much here to let this slip away. Shoremen 12-11

-Haverford vs Muhlenberg- Haverford seems to be finding a grove scoring the ball. Muhlenberg has to be kicking themselves after they yet again let a game they should have won slip away vs Gettysburg. Muhlenberg makes no sense to me. They seem to have no problem scoring on teams that on paper are better than them, but struggle vs lesser opponents. Haverford still can sneak into the playoffs but needs to win and get some help. This will be closer then expected based on the Mules track record this season Mules take it 14-11
notjeffshirk

Post by notjeffshirk »

WAC vs F&M - Shore by 6, thank me later.
WashedUp06

Post by WashedUp06 »

Oh what one day can change....

Mules pull another jekyll & hyde act on offense and score only 5 goals. Credit to Haverford's goalie on 22 saves...

Red Devils are now looking to be THE team to beat in the conference with a 5 goal W at G'burg.

F&M pulls a close one out against WAC and Swat got back on track against Ursinus.

The 4 & 5 Seed in the playoffs is pretty wide open now with Muhlenberg, Haverford, F&M, and WAC in a position to take those spots. WAC is on the back foot now though sitting at 2-4 with G'burg & Ursinus on the horizon.

Haverford has the hardest path with Dickinson (who is on fire) and Swarthmore still to play.

I would think that one of the spots will be locked up this weekend with the winner of the F&M vs Muhlenberg game.
laxgeek37

Post by laxgeek37 »

WashedUp06 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:12 am Oh what one day can change....

Mules pull another jekyll & hyde act on offense and score only 5 goals. Credit to Haverford's goalie on 22 saves...

Red Devils are now looking to be THE team to beat in the conference with a 5 goal W at G'burg.

F&M pulls a close one out against WAC and Swat got back on track against Ursinus.

The 4 & 5 Seed in the playoffs is pretty wide open now with Muhlenberg, Haverford, F&M, and WAC in a position to take those spots. WAC is on the back foot now though sitting at 2-4 with G'burg & Ursinus on the horizon.

Haverford has the hardest path with Dickinson (who is on fire) and Swarthmore still to play.

I would think that one of the spots will be locked up this weekend with the winner of the F&M vs Muhlenberg game.
The 4 and 5 spot are going to be hectic!
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

Standings and (remaining Centennial games):

Playoffs:
5-1 Swarthmore (McDaniel, Haverford)
5-1 Dickinson (Haverford, Ursinus)
5-2 Gettysburg (WAC)

Fighting for 4th and 5th seeds:
4-3 Muhlenberg (F&M)
3-3 F&M (Muhlenberg, McDaniel)
3-3 Haverford (Dickinson, Swat)
2-4 Washington (Ursinus, Gettysburg)

No Playoffs:
1-5 Ursinus (WAC, Dickinson)
0-6 McDaniel (Swat, F&M)
secondarybreak

Post by secondarybreak »

Any predictions for this weekend?
Mules vs. F&M - de facto playoff game. Mules strong defense vs. F&M's powerful offense. Not sure on this one.

Ursinus vs. Wash - Both teams with a lot of talent and some notable success earlier in the season. Wash by 5

Haverford vs. Dickinson. Hav benefiting from amazing goaltending, the young team gelling, and the off bolstered by some returning from early season injury, but Dickinson is still out of their class. At home or on the road, Dickinson is just so strong in every area. Great coaching, great talent, loads of experience and their playoff-level focus is evident. Dickinson early and often, Devils win by 10.

Mac vs. Swat - Swat finds its rhythm in spite of the talent and grit that Mac has. Lots of firepower for Swat as they prep for the second season. Swat by 6.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”