Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
masondixonlax

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by masondixonlax »

Think Tillman would switch lineups this late in the season. Have we been using other offensive middies besides those 7 guys?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Late in the OSU game 2nd midfield was going out more than 1st. In the past when they had two good lines he did look at them as 1 vs 2. But gave them different names. Want to say it was red vs gold.
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

I kept somewhat lose track of the midfields during the Rutgers game and the 1st got more runs. The EMO unit was also the first midfield with Murphy instead of...someone. Tils isn't afraid to change horses but no sign of anything here yet.

Looking forward to Hopkins. I think Maryland's defense matches up pretty well against the strengths of Hopkins offense. I'd expect to see Makar on Degnon, Zappitello on Angelus and Geppert on Collison. Maryland's SSDMs are looking better every week (especially with Trader seemingly healthy.)

The Blue Jays clobbered OSU with a big assist from their dominance at the dot (72%) but have been a bit below 50% this year overall. A big day by Wierman would be a huge help to the Terps.

In the six games since his best showing (against Syracuse, 70%), Marcille is saving 47%. Ruppel is at 53%.

The big question is which Terp offense will show up.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Burlace on Melendes?

Narewski did well against Wierman in the B1G tournament last year. Will be a key matchup. It will be interesting to see how Milliman mixes up his FOGOs against Wierman.

I think the Terps O has figured it out. They have shot 36% since halftime of the OSU game, and we all saw the ball movement for long stretches of the first half. I expect them to show up.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Running Melendez out of the box, do not think #40 takes him. Whoever has him, needs to be strong. Burlace fits but shorties will see him plenty. Luke! Luke! Luke! With a big dose of Rup! Recipe for success. I think 12 goals will be a winner
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:56 pm Burlace on Melendes?

Narewski did well against Wierman in the B1G tournament last year. Will be a key matchup. It will be interesting to see how Milliman mixes up his FOGOs against Wierman.

I think the Terps O has figured it out. They have shot 36% since halftime of the OSU game, and we all saw the ball movement for long stretches of the first half. I expect them to show up.
Usually pretty conservative with my (I believe fact-based) predictions.....but, I think for the first time in 40 years I see the Terps matching up good with the opposing offense. I think Zap would take Angelus and do pretty well, Makar would take Degnon and Geppert or McDonald would take Melendez. I could be wrong because Hop is much better than the last few years, but that seems like as good as MD's (great) defense matches up against top teams.

The great thing is, it doesn't really matter. Winning at UVA, OSU and Rutgers ensures a tournament berth and likely a favorable seed. However I will disagree with the statement that the Terps O has figured it out........my opinion is that they had improved by light years, but the 4th quarter of the Rutgers game confirms that it ain't all figured out and there's a ton of room/need for improvement.

What a fun season!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Zappitello on Angelus. Makar on Melendez (even if he runs through the box). Burlace on Degnon.

Those would be my guesses.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Maybe Trader takes Melendez running out of the box?

Milliman is 0-6 against the Terps, dating back to the 2018 quarters. Not too many close games in that stretch… but he’s got the Jays playing really well this year. That being said, I don’t see Tillman letting the Terps have an offgame like they did against Michigan. Terps, 13-10.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:41 pm Maybe Trader takes Melendez running out of the box?

Milliman is 0-6 against the Terps, dating back to the 2018 quarters. Not too many close games in that stretch… but he’s got the Jays playing really well this year. That being said, I don’t see Tillman letting the Terps have an offgame like they did against Michigan. Terps, 13-10.
This season has showed that both offense, defense and even face-off can be really good, awful or fighting for even. More often than not, the Terps are really good, but who knows? We just had 2 really tough road wins and now ANOTHER angry team hell-bent on revenge for the beatdowns of '21 and '22.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

I’m happy Hopkins is back and a strong team. Maryland
, the lacrosse state, with the most men’s and women’s championships in history of any state … maintains its superiority with a strong Hopkins.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

As much as I love to see the Terps beat the blue birds, I’m glad Milliman has them playing well. I do believe it’s good for the sport. That said I hope we play our best game of the year! Also, I hope the MD band will be there for this game! Tired of hearing theirs play at games and it made for great atmosphere when they played last year for whatever game it was. SECU will be electric. At least 10k maybe 14k will be there
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Essexfenwick wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:35 am I’m happy Hopkins is back and a strong team. Maryland
, the lacrosse state, with the most men’s and women’s championships in history of any state … maintains its superiority with a strong Hopkins.
Not sure Hop fans would feel the same way if it were the other way around. That being said, being a Baltimore guy myself, I am happy they are good again. They actually look really good and a lot of their contributing talent is very young so they will be a force to reckon with for years to come. Would not be surprised if they took down the terps this weekend but high likelihood these teams see each other again in conference tournament
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

masondixonlax wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:34 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:35 am I’m happy Hopkins is back and a strong team. Maryland
Not sure Hop fans would feel the same way if it were the other way around. That being said, being a Baltimore guy myself, I am happy they are good again. They actually look really good and a lot of their contributing talent is very young so they will be a force to reckon with for years to come. Would not be surprised if they took down the terps this weekend but high likelihood these teams see each other again in conference tournament
Well, Maryland is always good, so that's not really something we have to think about. This rivalry, like any rivalry, is better when both teams are strong.

I think Wheels has it right with Makar on Melendez rather than on Degnon. Degnon can sling it but he's not the biggest threat to dodge. He'll typically be at the receiving end of good ball movement.
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

Understood, Melendez is Hopkins #2 scorer. My reasoning for putting Zap on Angelus (35 assists, nearly as much as the rest of the starters combined) is that it would reduce scoring across the board.
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

fsclax wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:03 am

Understood, Melendez is Hopkins #2 scorer. My reasoning for putting Zap on Angelus (35 assists, nearly as much as the rest of the starters combined) is that it would reduce scoring across the board.
Sorry, the lower part of the quote above is mine. Didn't mean to make my words look like MoralTerpitude's.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

fsclax wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:05 am
Sorry, the lower part of the quote above is mine. Didn't mean to make my words look like MoralTerpitude's.
just add an additional [/ quote] under his quote if u erase it by accident when trimming down another post. (but don't put a space between / q like i just had to).
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:46 am
fsclax wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:05 am
just add an additional [/ quote] under his quote if u erase it by accident when trimming down another post. (but don't put a space between / q like i just had to).
Ahh, thanks.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Tills and Jesse have had no issues in the past bumping close defensemen up to midfield when teams run players through the box. They did it against UVA when Moore was there. They did it a few years ago when Michigan ran attack through the box.

You have to contain Angelus and Melendez as much as possible. Make the other 4 beat you. When Hop's offense goes off, it's usually because one or both of Angelus and Melendez are not just scoring goals but drawing slides and dishing. If you turn Angelus into a goal scorer instead of an initiator, that will also get their offense out of rhythm.

Make Grimes be an initiator. Dengnon and Collison take more time to get going, so let them bully and back in. It will bog Hop's offense down because the ball isn't moving.

Wierman will be in for a battle. I think Dunn has had success against him in the past, but they'll roll 3 good FOGOs out against him. Wierman was pretty beat up after the RU game.

Hop's defense is really tough. I'd still attack their rope unit, though, and that's where our second midfield will become very valuable.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tills being interviewed about this weekend at 29 minute
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Thoughts on game conditions? Seems as rain and thunder are imminent. Will game starting time be delayed?If as bad as expected seems dumb to start it, knowing it will have to stop. Weather can certainly be wrong but….

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”