Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Madlax59

Re: Boston College

Post by Madlax59 »

GratefulRed wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:26 am My first trip to Chapel Hill was both memorable and one I hope to soon forget. Congrats to Carolina on a thorough shellacking of the Eagles. Their upper class-ers played great allowing the rookies to execute like they didn’t know any better. Soft sod, UNC coaching around the injury to CW and the palpable spell that hovers over the facility were predictable factors. More of a surprise was the Eags showing up with heavy legs and some nerves. As a result, it got late early in Chapel Hill. Losses like this have consequences, but all you can do now is find what’s fixable and take a few positives, then toss the game tape in the dumpster and move on.

A few bright spots:
The draw team battled to win more than 50%. #15 Abby H is ready to step into any situation and compete.

UNC only won the second half 5-3 – BC showed heart and began plugging a few leaks defensively.

Eags had to show a bit more of the midfield depth which resulted in #36 Lizzie O notching her first career goal.

Another poster said it well that BC was a bit surprised by the quickness of the ‘heels rookies. UNC’s dodges down the alley and from gle weren’t just for show—and they didn’t need much daylight to get home. BC adjusted and will commit to forcing dodgers wider and sealing off the goal circle to prevent the doorstep chances we saw Friday.

UNC defense did a great job on BC attack and generally handled their match-ups without sending help. UNC #1 Emily N and #45 Brooklyn WW shared the game ball imo. I can’t imagine them being able to replicate their near-perfect games, but BC offense will need to be more creative. BC didn’t show much of their capabilities so they will be able to bring some new looks to future meetings.

BC week ahead will look more like preseason than spring break but at least they get back on the horse quickly v Brown Wed and Louisville Saturday.
Wonder if they practices on grass week before - or stayed indoors on turf?
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Madlax59 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:10 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:26 am My first trip to Chapel Hill was both memorable and one I hope to soon forget. Congrats to Carolina on a thorough shellacking of the Eagles. Their upper class-ers played great allowing the rookies to execute like they didn’t know any better. Soft sod, UNC coaching around the injury to CW and the palpable spell that hovers over the facility were predictable factors. More of a surprise was the Eags showing up with heavy legs and some nerves. As a result, it got late early in Chapel Hill. Losses like this have consequences, but all you can do now is find what’s fixable and take a few positives, then toss the game tape in the dumpster and move on.

A few bright spots:
The draw team battled to win more than 50%. #15 Abby H is ready to step into any situation and compete.

UNC only won the second half 5-3 – BC showed heart and began plugging a few leaks defensively.

Eags had to show a bit more of the midfield depth which resulted in #36 Lizzie O notching her first career goal.

Another poster said it well that BC was a bit surprised by the quickness of the ‘heels rookies. UNC’s dodges down the alley and from gle weren’t just for show—and they didn’t need much daylight to get home. BC adjusted and will commit to forcing dodgers wider and sealing off the goal circle to prevent the doorstep chances we saw Friday.

UNC defense did a great job on BC attack and generally handled their match-ups without sending help. UNC #1 Emily N and #45 Brooklyn WW shared the game ball imo. I can’t imagine them being able to replicate their near-perfect games, but BC offense will need to be more creative. BC didn’t show much of their capabilities so they will be able to bring some new looks to future meetings.

BC week ahead will look more like preseason than spring break but at least they get back on the horse quickly v Brown Wed and Louisville Saturday.

Their outdoor field is field turf as well. Not sure they have a grass practice field on campus.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Sunnylax wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:51 am
DMac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:35 am
GratefulRed wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:26 am UNC #1 Emily N and #45 Brooklyn WW shared the game ball imo. I can’t imagine them being able to replicate their near-perfect games
I'm not so sure about that part, every time I've seen those two play they've been nothing short of incredible/impressive. Two really good D gals.
Absolutely agree! Nalls has been a staple down on D since her freshman year and BWW was outstanding in her freshman debut plus the experience both gained this summer playing for England and Canada.
Full marks for both to be sure. I would expect, over time (1-2 more games), they might continue to limit BC but #35 and #3 should be able to muster a few--just enough to get the unit to hedge and create a few more openings. Others will have to do more.
DMac

Post by DMac »

BC-17, Brown-5.
Sisters combine for four goals for the Eagles.
One each.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

TNLAX wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:04 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:10 pm

A few bright spots:

Their outdoor field is field turf as well. Not sure they have a grass practice field on campus.
Good thing they aren’t playing in BC’s actual lacrosse stadium looks like they can barely contain the large capacity of spectators there must be a whopping 30 people there . Just so weird this NCAA championship team doesn’t want to improve their actual lacrosse facility
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Southern swing for the Eag’s this weekend - and a couple fun matchups. Clemson 4:00 today, then v Denver on the Jacksonville U turf 1:00 Sunday
Clemson couldn’t really draw up their first season much better. They are playing with house money. From what I’ve seen, nothing too fancy-- they just play hard/fast and try to beat the person in front of them. We walked by Historic Riggs Field yesterday which is beautiful natural grass. Based on the worn spot in the goal circle, looks like a firm, fast track. If they don’t mow before the game it will be a touch shaggy—think first cut Bermuda fairway rough. Looking at a perfect weather day for spectators—upper 60s light breeze. But don’t be fooled, that high sun could still cause some fatigue as the game rolls on.

Clemson coming off a gutsy win over Duke, but stats against 3 ACC opponents so far (record 1-2) don’t bode well for the Tigers:
Offensive efficiency: 20% or less
FO%: 33, 44, 36% respectively

Defense seems to be the heartbeat of Clemson, and they have picked a good first-year in #4 Paris M to build a unit around. One of the best in the 22 class, she leads team, or among leaders, in GB, CT and DC. She is smart, tough and rarely beats herself. Transfer goalie #29 EL playing well, also. More broadly, it will probably take more than 1v1 dodging alone to beat the Tiger woman to woman D. I look for BC #3 to get to her spot and create a bunch of assists to cutters from the top who worked better off-ball v Louisville.

Clemson seems rely on team speed and stretch passes to clear and create transition opportunities. I recall several Duke players speed slightly surprising BC at first a few weeks ago. Clemson appeared as fast or faster in their win this week. BC will need to be ready.

Defensively, BC has a solid, balanced attack to pep for. Offense seems to run through #26 Hanna H from behind. #25 Emma T a quick lefty dodger from the elbow. Frosh #9 took over the Duke game late. At 5'11", she takes a direct line to the cage and has a hard shot on the run. I expect the Eagles will be physical and steady to keep most chances to the outside to give the goalie a good look. Bounce shots on the hard grass will challenge net minders accustomed to artificial turf.

If the Eagles show up, I look for them to separate at some point. Otherwise, hope springs eternal in Clemson.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Prediction - BC 16 - Clemson 8
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

GratefulRed wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:54 am Southern swing for the Eag’s this weekend - and a couple fun matchups. Clemson 4:00 today, then v Denver on the Jacksonville U turf 1:00 Sunday
Clemson couldn’t really draw up their first season much better. They are playing with house money. From what I’ve seen, nothing too fancy-- they just play hard/fast and try to beat the person in front of them. We walked by Historic Riggs Field yesterday which is beautiful natural grass. Based on the worn spot in the goal circle, looks like a firm, fast track. If they don’t mow before the game it will be a touch shaggy—think first cut Bermuda fairway rough. Looking at a perfect weather day for spectators—upper 60s light breeze. But don’t be fooled, that high sun could still cause some fatigue as the game rolls on.

Clemson coming off a gutsy win over Duke, but stats against 3 ACC opponents so far (record 1-2) don’t bode well for the Tigers:
Offensive efficiency: 20% or less
FO%: 33, 44, 36% respectively

Defense seems to be the heartbeat of Clemson, and they have picked a good first-year in #4 Paris M to build a unit around. One of the best in the 22 class, she leads team, or among leaders, in GB, CT and DC. She is smart, tough and rarely beats herself. Transfer goalie #29 EL playing well, also. More broadly, it will probably take more than 1v1 dodging alone to beat the Tiger woman to woman D. I look for BC #3 to get to her spot and create a bunch of assists to cutters from the top who worked better off-ball v Louisville.

Clemson seems rely on team speed and stretch passes to clear and create transition opportunities. I recall several Duke players speed slightly surprising BC at first a few weeks ago. Clemson appeared as fast or faster in their win this week. BC will need to be ready.

Defensively, BC has a solid, balanced attack to pep for. Offense seems to run through #26 Hanna H from behind. #25 Emma T a quick lefty dodger from the elbow. Frosh #9 took over the Duke game late. At 5'11", she takes a direct line to the cage and has a hard shot on the run. I expect the Eagles will be physical and steady to keep most chances to the outside to give the goalie a good look. Bounce shots on the hard grass will challenge net minders accustomed to artificial turf.

If the Eagles show up, I look for them to separate at some point. Otherwise, hope springs eternal in Clemson.
Great summary. Thank you!
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

You're welcome.

Clemson game went generally according to plan. Killing a few days on the way to Jacksonville was a blast. Unfortunately, a tough way for BC to end their road trip at the hands of the legit Denver Pioneers.

DU came out hungry to finally get a top-5 W against a long-time nemesis. The result, a 6-0 first quarter. BC won the 2nd qtr and tied the second half but could never really climb back into the game. Stingy zone D, a top draw unit and gritty hustle all over the field makes DU one of the worst teams to spot a big lead.

Much like the legendary Syracuse men’s hoops zone (I got you DMac), Denver’s zone forces offenses to think too much and see things that just aren’t there. BC ball movement was crisp all day, but mostly on the outside with good scoring chances tough to generate. I will save my whining about the lack of 3-seconds calls for the Lax Rules string but DU appears to blatantly dare the refs to call it, maybe knowing they will only do so about half the time. Regardless, the Pio’s appear to have the best defense in the nation right now (JMU may have an argument, but the game Wed night confirms SU and SB don’t).

Once BC found legs and dialed up the pressure, DU showed susceptibility to turnovers. Not to be outdone, BC frequently gave possession right back in a variety of uncharacteristic ways. 11 TO in the 4th pretty much smothered any chance of a comeback.

The Eagles played a lot of good lacrosse last week, but also had another costly lapse on the road. No reason to panic--whatever may be a little off, they’ve had a week to get right. If they do, gotta believe BC will be a motivated group heading to Blacksburg. Looking forward to it...
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Great post GR. Hope they keeping improving. I really think all the pieces are there. Any health concerns?
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

If you are referring to #28, I am optimistic we will see her leadership, energy and all those extra possessions back on the field very soon.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

GratefulRed wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:46 pm If you are referring to #28, I am optimistic we will see her leadership, energy and all those extra possessions back on the field very soon.
That's who I was asking about, without being pointed. Good news.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

That's good, because if you were asking about me the prognosis isn't quite as good :lol: .
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

On our way to South Bend for BC @ Notre Dame in a battle of biblical proportions…or just 2 good teams playing a big ACC game on the holiday weekend. Going to be a beautiful day so the game should be outdoors.

I reviewed some of the UNC@ND game. Watching the Tarheels try to crack to ND zone reminded me of BC v Denver. Ball movement around the outside, no matter how sharp, isn’t good enough (unless the officials are committed to calling double-digit 3 sec fouls). BC will need to get to the soft spots and pay the price to force a breakdown, maybe draw a few fouls. Personally, I would like to see the Eags work more creatively from X, but I’m curious how others would approach attacking the zone.

Speaking of fouls, getting to the free position line should be a good strategy. UND committed 47 fouls v UNC last weekend and has given up 51 free position chances in 10 games compared to BC 36 in 11 games. BC will want to cash those fps in at a more efficient clip (43% on the season). ND goalie Callahan seems cut much from the same cloth as Denver’s Bohi—should be a fun matchup.

The Eagles have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to two-way middies. Having so many assets is a good problem, but I think they would concede that they’ve yet to play a complete game. If anything will bring this unit together, it’s a date with the Irish. This will be big-girl lax and I look forward to a physical performance by the Eags on the circle and between the 30s. Notre Dame’s #7 MK Doherty, #55 KD 16 KS and company play hard but I’m comfortable with BC’s depth, commitment and discipline (easy for me to say from the bleachers).

Defensively, BC’s biggest challenge imo is containing #23 Jackie W. If the Eagles can match her physicality and make her feed on the run, I think the rest of the Irish should have a hard time getting to the net.

BC has a lot of work left on the ACC schedule with UVA and Syracuse still waiting. Time to set the tone for a stretch run…
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

GratefulRed wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:05 am On our way to South Bend for BC @ Notre Dame in a battle of biblical proportions…or just 2 good teams playing a big ACC game on the holiday weekend. Going to be a beautiful day so the game should be outdoors.

I reviewed some of the UNC@ND game. Watching the Tarheels try to crack to ND zone reminded me of BC v Denver. Ball movement around the outside, no matter how sharp, isn’t good enough (unless the officials are committed to calling double-digit 3 sec fouls). BC will need to get to the soft spots and pay the price to force a breakdown, maybe draw a few fouls. Personally, I would like to see the Eags work more creatively from X, but I’m curious how others would approach attacking the zone.

Speaking of fouls, getting to the free position line should be a good strategy. UND committed 47 fouls v UNC last weekend and has given up 51 free position chances in 10 games compared to BC 36 in 11 games. BC will want to cash those fps in at a more efficient clip (43% on the season). ND goalie Callahan seems cut much from the same cloth as Denver’s Bohi—should be a fun matchup.

The Eagles have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to two-way middies. Having so many assets is a good problem, but I think they would concede that they’ve yet to play a complete game. If anything will bring this unit together, it’s a date with the Irish. This will be big-girl lax and I look forward to a physical performance by the Eags on the circle and between the 30s. Notre Dame’s #7 MK Doherty, #55 KD 16 KS and company play hard but I’m comfortable with BC’s depth, commitment and discipline (easy for me to say from the bleachers).

Defensively, BC’s biggest challenge imo is containing #23 Jackie W. If the Eagles can match her physicality and make her feed on the run, I think the rest of the Irish should have a hard time getting to the net.

BC has a lot of work left on the ACC schedule with UVA and Syracuse still waiting. Time to set the tone for a stretch run…
Great post Red, safe travels and good luck in South Bend.

I would attack the zone from below GLE, but the kid at X will have to establish herself as a threat to go. I was surprised UNC kept trying from the top and elbows as much as they did, when it has good feeders at X. Other than that, skip passes to create 8-meter shots and convert them may be the long-term strategy.

The Notre Dame player that stood out for me against UNC was Ahern (sic?), who really delivered when the team needed it. But ND presents problems -- Choma, Wolak and Ahern are all three AA caliber players, and Doherty is a very able role player. They'll need contributions from all of them.

I'll go 14-13 BC.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Nice prediction on the ND game, Seacoaster!

To wrap the Notre Dame game, gritty W for the visitors despite losing ground balls, draws and being outshot. Takeaways:

#12 C Weeks is money when a big game is on the line. In addition to the game winner, she had 3 DC, 3 CT and 3 GB.

Shooting was likely a focus in practice again this week, but that’s way better than trying to figure out how to get chances. Callahan was great but BC made her look better shooting 39% overall, though 72% SOG (only worse shooting games this year were Denver and UNC).

Not sure how it reflected on the broadcast, but there was a sense that the Eagles squad and coaches came together during this one. Even a bit short-handed, the old guard showed up and started to get that look in their eyes.

On to Alumni Stadium hosting Virginia for senior day. Season is flying by, eh?

Maybe the most dangerous player for the Cavs right now is #14 Morgan S. She is feeling it and can take over a game. And I’m not sure how you stop #5. With that high release point, it’s like trying to stop a Kevin Durant step-back. Then there is #16. Bigger offensive teams like UND have been able to get to dangerous areas against the BC D at times. Eags will have to dig in and stiffen Saturday.

When BC does get a stop I hope they run—I see them having an advantage in transition. Last couple games, midfield subbing has been smoother and they have generated more fast and slow break chances. Getting healthy and on the same page, if BC starts running…

The biggest statistical disparity of the day is top-10 BC offense against a top 40 ranked ‘hoos defense. UVA shows both zone and woman-to-woman D looks, but I think the Eagles may score a lot of goals in front of a huge crowd (some left over from the spring football game at 11:00). If they do get rolling, it could get late early for the Cavaliers.

Huge game!
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Official attendance 3,545 at Alumni Stadium on Saturday. Great crowd, perfect day to see BC make a statement. Eagles struggled a bit with the length of the Cavs early, but gradually squeezed the life out of the UVA attack. Offense is really starting to hum.

My preseason prediction that BC@SU would break attendance records at the Dome will not hold true—who would have imagined why? Attendance for Thursday’s game may actually break the bleachers at the Soccer Stadium.

Sorry, DMac, you might have to wear a jacket once this season… if you got your ticket, that is. This one sold out like the Dead at Cornell!
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

GratefulRed wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:11 am Official attendance 3,545 at Alumni Stadium on Saturday. Great crowd, perfect day to see BC make a statement. Eagles struggled a bit with the length of the Cavs early, but gradually squeezed the life out of the UVA attack. Offense is really starting to hum.

My preseason prediction that BC@SU would break attendance records at the Dome will not hold true—who would have imagined why? Attendance for Thursday’s game may actually break the bleachers at the Soccer Stadium.

Sorry, DMac, you might have to wear a jacket once this season… if you got your ticket, that is. This one sold out like the Dead at Cornell!
I’m calling it BC with the win . No idea on score but feeling like BC continues to improve. Just have a feeling .
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Madlax59 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:47 am
GratefulRed wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:11 am Official attendance 3,545 at Alumni Stadium on Saturday. Great crowd, perfect day to see BC make a statement. Eagles struggled a bit with the length of the Cavs early, but gradually squeezed the life out of the UVA attack. Offense is really starting to hum.

I’m calling it BC with the win . No idea on score but feeling like BC continues to improve. Just have a feeling .
I like where your head is at, Madlax.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Intriguing match-up. Two teams that really know each other well. There are at least 10 top LI players on the field that have battled against each other for more than a decade - since their high school days. Coaches could also not be more familiar with each other. Kayla coached at BC for several years and helped with their first NC. Kenzie an all time great at BC knows their system well. Her offense will be going against her mom's BC defense. On top of all of that, the ACC regular season title is at stake.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”