Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ICGrad

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by ICGrad »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:15 pm With today's victory, Cornell is currently at RPI #4.
The laxreference site has them @ #5:

https://pro.lacrossereference.com/rpi-d ... ieofldkw9c

EDIT: I would think if JHU lost to OSU this afternoon, we would jump over them to #4.
Last edited by ICGrad on Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congratulations to the Big Red! Disappointed that the feed went out for a ridiculously exciting fourth quarter, but that's a huge win for Cornell. Bravo.
Laxnuthin

Post by Laxnuthin »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:18 pm Ending of the game, filmed by from the stands:

https://twitter.com/DocBrown315/status/ ... 56770?s=20
“DocBrown” should be hired to be the cameraman on ESPN+ broadcasts. That clip was perfect.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:48 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:15 pm With today's victory, Cornell is currently at RPI #4.
The laxreference site has them @ #5:

https://pro.lacrossereference.com/rpi-d ... ieofldkw9c

EDIT: I would think if JHU lost to OSU this afternoon, we would jump over them to #4.
Right after the game, lax reference had Cornell at 4. Another later game result must have moved the Big Red to 5.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

What a terrific game today at Michie Stadium on what turned out to be a great day for lacrosse. Sorry for the folks who weren’t able to watch the final 9 or so minutes when the power went out. I don’t believe it was weather related, but likely a transformer blew out.

As for my observations, both defenses were stout, and the goaltenders were on their game. Almost every possession was a slog, and Army’s game plan was to double or triple team Kirst at every opportunity. But we weren’t especially successful of beating one-on-one matchups, so there were relatively few open looks. Long had the most success, and his presence made a huge difference.

The faceoff unit was scrappy against a very good Army unit. Psyllos, especially, was a beast off the ground, and several times he was hounded by 3 or even 4 Army guys and somehow was able to maintain possession. I thought Psyllos, along with Ierlan and Long, were the players of the game.

When we went up 9-6 I thought we might finally get some separation. But a couple of questionable penalty calls gave Army life, and they took advantage, going on a 4-0 run that gave them their first lead. Things began to look bleak, but we were able to secure possession and Long came up clutch to tied it up. By that point the power had gone out, so I had no idea how much time was left. Army had a chance to take a lead in the last couple of minutes, but Ierlan made a huge save and the ball went out on the sideline in front of the Army bench; it was a close race but from my vantage point I thought Army was going to get the call. Much to my delight and surprise the official awarded Cornell the ball. Apparently there was about 1:20 left on the clock and Kirst held the ball until about 30 seconds left when he initiated the offense. After several dodges and passes around the perimeter, Blake got knocked down to the right of the Army cage. When he got up the Army defense lost track of him, and Coyle, who had the ball on the right wing, spotted Blake all alone, and Blake was able to get the dunk with just a few second left on the shot clock and 11 or so seconds on the game clock. The following faceoff was a scrum with the ball fought over in Army territory. Although the Cadets were awarded possession, there were only about 3 seconds left and they had no chance to get off a shot.

Very entertaining and hard fought affair, and the good guys pulled it out.
Last edited by laxjuris on Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

'Made the trip north to Michie. Given the power outage, it was fortuitous. Great crowd - intense playoff game like atmosphere. A week ago I posted that Cornell gives up "ballpark" 10 goals/game and would need 10+ to win the rest of the way out. It worked today. However, if I had known before the game that Kirst would not score and we'd be slightly below 50% facing off, I would not have predicted the W.
A few abbreviated thoughts:
Defense
-Cornell held Army to 6 through 3 quarters. The boys played very clean, in particular the close guys. They worked unbelievably hard in support of the shorties, who Army targed throughout. Ironically, Cornell slid very aggressively all day; I liked their judgement. But at 9-6, they either slid late or not at all (need to see replays) in support of Box and twice against Singer. Cornell played zone a bit and I thought they would again after the run of dodging goals. They didn't, but held up.
-Army rarely dodged against Adler or Follows.
-Rayhill - another strong game in place of Bozzi (injured wrist).
-Ierlan - one of his best career games. A few absolute beauties
-The game totally changed at 9-6 when the refs blew a call against Cascdden - it wasn't close. Buczek previously was all over the refs on a few missed interference calls. He went nuts after the Cascadden call - Stevens had to pull him away.
Offense
-Big goal for Rory Graham - lefty sidearm.
-I thought Buczek would do more to get Kirst looks; it was almost like the initial few games when Teat was locked off - play 5 on 5 instead-?
At least let him in bound the ball more than once or twice. I did think Kirst used excellent judgement when he did get touches.
-Long - looked gassed at one point; came out and I thought he was hurt. All ok - he just threw up.
'Nice for Blake get the winner.
*Mark Psyllos - was terrific all day. Gives 100% - came off after a long possession in the 2nd half and took his helmet off - he was completely drenched.
Great effort on both sides of the ball. A team win against a good team on the road.
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

Fun grinding game - Army D is v good
Ierlan, Psyllos and our D played outstanding
Offense was more perplexing (outside of Long)
Middies were sloppy with passes again… some questionable forced feeds…
Noticed some new players getting runs earlier in the game - think Luzzi got some runs? Thought he looked pretty good.
And what a great goal by 23 on EMO

This was a great W at an important point in the season

Onward to Providence
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

:)
WestVillCornell wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:50 pm Fun grinding game - Army D is v good
Ierlan, Psyllos and our D played outstanding
Offense was more perplexing (outside of Long)
Middies were sloppy with passes again… some questionable forced feeds…
Noticed some new players getting runs earlier in the game - think Luzzi got some runs? Thought he looked pretty good.
And what a great goal by 23 on EMO

This was a great W at an important point in the season

Onward to Providence
23 is a Canadian player, Rory Graham. His goal was certainly "box style" and very well played.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:13 pm 'Made the trip north to Michie. Given the power outage, it was fortuitous. Great crowd - intense playoff game like atmosphere. A week ago I posted that Cornell gives up "ballpark" 10 goals/game and would need 10+ to win the rest of the way out. It worked today. However, if I had known before the game that Kirst would not score and we'd be slightly below 50% facing off, I would not have predicted the W.
A few abbreviated thoughts:
Defense
-Cornell held Army to 6 through 3 quarters. The boys played very clean, in particular the close guys. They worked unbelievably hard in support of the shorties, who Army targed throughout. Ironically, Cornell slid very aggressively all day; I liked their judgement. But at 9-6, they either slid late or not at all (need to see replays) in support of Box and twice against Singer. Cornell played zone a bit and I thought they would again after the run of dodging goals. They didn't, but held up.
-Army rarely dodged against Adler or Follows.
-Rayhill - another strong game in place of Bozzi (injured wrist).
-Ierlan - one of his best career games. A few absolute beauties
-The game totally changed at 9-6 when the refs blew a call against Cascdden - it wasn't close. Buczek previously was all over the refs on a few missed interference calls. He went nuts after the Cascadden call - Stevens had to pull him away.
Offense
-Big goal for Rory Graham - lefty sidearm.
-I thought Buczek would do more to get Kirst looks; it was almost like the initial few games when Teat was locked off - play 5 on 5 instead-?
At least let him in bound the ball more than once or twice. I did think Kirst used excellent judgement when he did get touches.
-Long - looked gassed at one point; came out and I thought he was hurt. All ok - he just threw up.
'Nice for Blake get the winner.
*Mark Psyllos - was terrific all day. Gives 100% - came off after a long possession in the 2nd half and took his helmet off - he was completely drenched.
Great effort on both sides of the ball. A team win against a good team on the road.
Great summary as always.

Some responses:

You likely won't see any replays of the last 9 minutes of the game. There was no broadcast after the power went out.

The Cascadden call at 9-6 likely completely changed the game. It was a clean shoulder to shoulder check that knocked the Army player out of bounds and should have led to a Cornell possession. Instead, it started the late Army 4 goal run. I didn't see any of the game after it was 9-7 because of the power outage, but I think I would have felt pretty good about things up 9-6 with the ball with 10 minutes left. This was a very physical game and both defenses were bodying the ball carriers. That call was just baffling and mystifying. Just horrible.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:37 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:22 pm Should hopefully be on ESPN+ later today.
Unlikely. Power was out, so almost certainly nothing was being recorded.
Ah. Didn’t realize the power never came back on. Did the refs time everything (man-ups/shot clock/game clock) by hand?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I believe so, but I wasn't there.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:45 pm I believe so, but I wasn't there.
Yeah… just checked ESPN+. Game feed cuts off at exactly 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I posted this a while back, but for those who may have missed it, a Cuse fan at the game recorded the game-winning goal on his phone:

https://twitter.com/DocBrown315/status/ ... 9268256770
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:04 pm I posted this a while back, but for those who may have missed it, a Cuse fan at the game recorded the game-winning goal on his phone:

https://twitter.com/DocBrown315/status/ ... 9268256770
Thank you. That is a far better angle than Terps fans get for home games on BTN.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

LOL! Yeah, Byrd* does not seem to have been designed with TV in mind ...

*er, State Employees Credit Union ...
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:42 pm Really poor call against Cascaden....
I was really surprised to see this level of refereeing in such an important DI game.

Thanks to the Fanlax Community for the updates and video.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

In the stadium after the power failed and play resumed with manual timekeeping it felt to me so much like a soccer match in extra time. Incredible urgency with terrifying awareness that at any moment regulation could be over. At least at that point we were tied so in effect it was the same as OT. I was so glad to be there to see it, if I was home streaming my head would've exploded when the "commercial break" screen went up. I don't know how Coyle saw Blake all alone on the far post thru a mosh pit in front.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Ivyman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:47 am In the stadium after the power failed and play resumed with manual timekeeping it felt to me so much like a soccer match in extra time. Incredible urgency with terrifying awareness that at any moment regulation could be over. At least at that point we were tied so in effect it was the same as OT. I was so glad to be there to see it, if I was home streaming my head would've exploded when the "commercial break" screen went up. I don't know how Coyle saw Blake all alone on the far post thru a mosh pit in front.
It was a set play. Most of the offense loads the other side of the field. Blake falls down and stays on the ground long enough for his defender to move over, backing up the other defenders on the other side. Meanwhile, Blake silently stands up and moves to the backdoor of the net. The pass is to Coyle, who passes to Blake, who shoots the goal.

:lol:
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ezra White wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:11 am
Ivyman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:47 am In the stadium after the power failed and play resumed with manual timekeeping it felt to me so much like a soccer match in extra time. Incredible urgency with terrifying awareness that at any moment regulation could be over. At least at that point we were tied so in effect it was the same as OT. I was so glad to be there to see it, if I was home streaming my head would've exploded when the "commercial break" screen went up. I don't know how Coyle saw Blake all alone on the far post thru a mosh pit in front.
It was a set play. Most of the offense loads the other side of the field. Blake falls down and stays on the ground long enough for his defender to move over, backing up the other defenders on the other side. Meanwhile, Blake silently stands up and moves to the backdoor of the net. The pass is to Coyle, who passes to Blake, who shoots the goal.

:lol:
The old,

fake fall down score the winning goal trick,

second time they’ve fallen for it this year 8-)
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Meanwhile, Marquette lost in OT to Georgetown. Marquette scored twice in the final minute but Dordevic scored the game winner 3 minutes into the extra session.

That would have been a nice win for Cornell had Marquette pulled it off, but even so it suggests that that was a pretty damn good Marquette team the Big Red thrashed just a few days ago.

re: The Army game, I think it's always good to get a good win in a close game -and on the road, no less - going into the ILT and, hopfully, the NCAAs. Cornell has shown that they can blow the doors off of teams, even good teams; it's nice to see that they can win a closer, more defensively-minded struggle as well.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”