North Carolina 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10 10 2

Re: North Carolina 2023

Post by 10 10 2 »

25-8 win against Providence. Gotta say I think it would have been a good idea to have one more competitive OOC game in the place of a guaranteed blowout like Mercer, Dartmouth, or Providence. Maybe against a Loyola/Lehigh/Delaware.

Both Egans out for this game. Hoping Dewey Egan did not reinjure himself. I think I heard the announcer say keeping Evan Egan out against High Point was a "game time decision" by Breschi, which suggests this is just precautionary and not a serious injury.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:22 pm
10 10 2 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:29 pm Good win against High Point, who has a history of playing up to their competition against top 20 teams. Dorrance field is not an easy surface to play on when it is slick from rain.

Heard Quint mention that Logan Mcgovern has another year of eligibility left after this season. That's news to me. I thought this was his covid year.
They gave him 19 back after he played in couple of games then shut down. Not sure if it was injury or may have been something like meningitis, but know he got a season back other than covid
I believe he broke his hand in the second or third game of his freshman season, which qualified him for a redshirt. Big boon for UNC as he really seems to have meshed into this team seamlessly. A terrific player, albeit not necessarily a guy who's going to dominate a first team AA the way Chris Gray could. But even so, he leaves his mark on every game because he's such a fierce competitor and sets a great example for everyone else.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

random observer wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:35 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:22 pm
10 10 2 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:29 pm Good win against High Point, who has a history of playing up to their competition against top 20 teams. Dorrance field is not an easy surface to play on when it is slick from rain.

Heard Quint mention that Logan Mcgovern has another year of eligibility left after this season. That's news to me. I thought this was his covid year.
They gave him 19 back after he played in couple of games then shut down. Not sure if it was injury or may have been something like meningitis, but know he got a season back other than covid
I believe he broke his hand in the second or third game of his freshman season, which qualified him for a redshirt. Big boon for UNC as he really seems to have meshed into this team seamlessly. A terrific player, albeit not necessarily a guy who's going to dominate a first team AA the way Chris Gray could. But even so, he leaves his mark on every game because he's such a fierce competitor and sets a great example for everyone else.
Yeah tough little guy, Bart played them like 6 times while he wa way Bryant.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Andrew Tyeryar currently has more goals than any other midfielder on the team. Good for him, but it doesn't exactly reflect well on the offensive midfielders when the FOGO leads them in goals. Demarco and Schertzinger can both dodge but have been very inconsistent, and Schwarz is more of a pass first dodger. Wellford has played well but again is more of a shooter than a dodger. I'd like to see guys like Egan (assuming he returns) and Deubner, who are both a bit buried on the depth chart at attack, get some runs coming in through the box at midfield.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

How many of the next four games does UNC need to win to make the tournament? Do they need 1 or 2 wins to secure a bid?

4/7 Virginia
4/15 at Syracuse
4/22 at ND
5/6 ND
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

Good question. To be safe I say at least 2. They may get in with just 1 and 3 is a lock. The win over Hop really helps. The loss to Denver hurts. Need Denver to win AQ if they win only 1. Plus it would help if Brown continues to win.
The D cant play like they did against Duke and the O needs to show up consistently. DeMarco is key and I do like Duebner at midfield plus putting Goldsmith out of box and moving Tillman to midfield as he is really good dodging from wing or uptop.
Lewisfrederick

Post by Lewisfrederick »

Joe Breschi’s contract expires after this season. Why in the world would he be extended???

We will likely miss 4 of the last 5 tournaments. Have won 2 NCAA tournament games since 2016. 2016 was a fluke. Still counts as a championship, but let’s be real we were the last team to make the tournament and got hot at the right time. 2021 was a combination of a generational talent in Chris Gray and the Ivy League not playing. Joe Breschi isn’t the right guy for the job.

We have top 5 recruiting year after year, fifth most championships all time, lots of financial investment from alumni, arguably the nicest facilities… and we can hardly make the tournament. I would understand if there was a massive investment gap between us and the other ACC programs… but there isn’t. It’s pretty obvious this is a coaching issue.

Just playing devils advocate, why bother even investing anything into this program if we never make the tournament?? Especially with the revenue gap growing between the ACC and BIG/SEC why waste any of it on a program that can’t even make the tournament. UNC has 28 sports teams… last year 26 of them made the tournament… and men’s lacrosse wasn’t one of them and the other was women’s rowing which just exists to even out title 9 numbers.

If we continue with Breschi, why even bother investing in this program?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They need to win 1 over Notre Dame to get in. However I wouldn't give them better than a 10% chance in either game. I'm not sure how many teams in the Top 20 I'd pick them to beat right now.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lewisfrederick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:17 pm Joe Breschi’s contract expires after this season. Why in the world would he be extended???

We will likely miss 4 of the last 5 tournaments. Have won 2 NCAA tournament games since 2016. 2016 was a fluke. Still counts as a championship, but let’s be real we were the last team to make the tournament and got hot at the right time. 2021 was a combination of a generational talent in Chris Gray and the Ivy League not playing. Joe Breschi isn’t the right guy for the job.

We have top 5 recruiting year after year, fifth most championships all time, lots of financial investment from alumni, arguably the nicest facilities… and we can hardly make the tournament. I would understand if there was a massive investment gap between us and the other ACC programs… but there isn’t. It’s pretty obvious this is a coaching issue.

Just playing devils advocate, why bother even investing anything into this program if we never make the tournament?? Especially with the revenue gap growing between the ACC and BIG/SEC why waste any of it on a program that can’t even make the tournament. UNC has 28 sports teams… last year 26 of them made the tournament… and men’s lacrosse wasn’t one of them and the other was women’s rowing which just exists to even out title 9 numbers.

I do think it's pretty telling that they've allowed him to coach on the final year of his deal. To me that says they're actually thinking about moving in a different direction. Doesn't mean they will, but usually if you're sure he's your guy you extend him before or at least during the season. No idea what's going to happen but if people think he's a lock to return, I wouldn't be so sure. Gun to my head...if they beat Notre Dame at least once and sneak into the tourney, I think they extend him. Then again, they fired Haus after a similar type of season so who knows.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:38 pm
Lewisfrederick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:17 pm Joe Breschi’s contract expires after this season. Why in the world would he be extended???

I do think it's pretty telling that they've allowed him to coach on the final year of his deal. To me that says they're actually thinking about moving in a different direction. Doesn't mean they will, but usually if you're sure he's your guy you extend him before or at least during the season. No idea what's going to happen but if people think he's a lock to return, I wouldn't be so sure. Gun to my head...if they beat Notre Dame at least once and sneak into the tourney, I think they extend him. Then again, they fired Haus after a similar type of season so who knows.
lots of carolina coaches coached on same timetable.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:00 pm

And all got extensions?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:08 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:00 pm

And all got extensions?
not unless they're keeping it secret for some of them (all of them?).
https://alumni.unc.edu/news/williams-10 ... xtensions/
several searches come up with nada since 2018. the year their contracts were all up.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Fire Breschi
Backinshape

Post by Backinshape »

Who would be on the list of candidates? Cassease, Chemotti, Shay, Murphy
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:13 pmFire Breschi
I wish there was a forum where people could critique your job and everything YOU do while also calling for you to be fired from your job.

You most likely don’t know anything about Joe. He cares about his kids and they love him.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Backinshape wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:52 pm Who would be on the list of candidates? Cassease, Chemotti, Shay, Murphy
Why; also Duke alum, Turned down a better job in Hopkins a few years ago, Not gonna take it, Duke alum
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:58 pm
I wish there was a forum where people could critique your job and everything YOU do while also calling for you to be fired from your job.

You most likely don’t know anything about Joe. He cares about his kids and they love him.
Being the ACC doormat and missing the tournament with no end in sight has always been unacceptable. It was unacceptable under Klarman and Haus. The same goes for Breschi. I've been a longtime defender of the guy, and fully comprehend that he's a nice guy. Maybe being a nice guy that loses is good enough for lower tier programs. Carolina should have a coach the players love, and who also wins.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:19 pm
Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:58 pm

Being the ACC doormat and missing the tournament with no end in sight has always been unacceptable. It was unacceptable under Klarman and Haus. The same goes for Breschi. I've been a longtime defender of the guy, and fully comprehend that he's a nice guy. Maybe being a nice guy that loses is good enough for lower tier programs. Carolina should have a coach the players love, and who also wins.
Not suggesting anything, just an observation … there aren’t many men’s lacrosse head coaches who have won Division I national championships. And no one wins a Division I lacrosse championship on a “fluke.”

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Also an observation...three teams have let go of coaches who have won national championships in the last 7 years, and all of them won more national championships than Joe Breschi. One of them won the national championship within the 3 years of moving on from that national championship winning coach and another the next season after that and the other is in the Top 10 and going to have a first round home NCAA Tournament game within 3 years of moving on after a sustained decline in results not dissimilar to what North Carolina has seen under Breschi. Third it's still only halfway through Year 2.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”