Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Exlaxbro

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by Exlaxbro »

Sloppy handling and ball watching. What happened to this team?
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:51 pm Sloppy handling and ball watching. What happened to this team?
Frustrating. If you erase the first two games of the season, this team has been very consistent, and consistently mediocre. This is actually what my expectations were coming into the season, but the incredible start got my hopes up. Would love to know what that magic was at the beginning of the season, and what happened to it.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I don’t know that in light of developments the start was incredible. Maeylsnd for example lost a LOT of talent thst few seemed to account for esrlier on
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

GreyingHound wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:55 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:51 pm Sloppy handling and ball watching. What happened to this team?
Frustrating. If you erase the first two games of the season, this team has been very consistent, and consistently mediocre. This is actually what my expectations were coming into the season, but the incredible start got my hopes up. Would love to know what that magic was at the beginning of the season, and what happened to it.
Same here, I believe we all got excited after the first two wins but with the amount of talent they had to replace on offense, and especially at the FO, this season was essentially a little bit of a rebuild.

It’s gonna take some growing pains but I think they’ll get through it. FO’s in theory should improve (I hope). But it’s some of the mistakes that are so puzzling on offense with turnovers and dropped passes are very frustrating. Plus in 2024, the defense loses SO many contributors, thus it makes it even more important to win possessions and score
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:13 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:55 pm
Same here, I believe we all got excited after the first two wins but with the amount of talent they had to replace on offense, and especially at the FO, this season was essentially a little bit of a rebuild.

It’s gonna take some growing pains but I think they’ll get through it. FO’s in theory should improve (I hope). But it’s some of the mistakes that are so puzzling on offense with turnovers and dropped passes are very frustrating. Plus in 2024, the defense loses SO many contributors, thus it makes it even more important to win possessions and score
But if you remember they had the same problems offensively last year as they do this year. Sloppy ball handling, poor shot selection. This team played so well against Maryland and Hopkins. It has been a steep drop off ever since.

At best we will be 5-3 in conference, more than likely 4-4, worst case we lose to Colgate and Lehigh and we are 3-5

3 games left in regular season, Gtown is Alumni weekend, should be a good crowd at Ridley. Lets play the spoiler
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

OCanada wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:03 pm I don’t know that in light of developments the start was incredible. Maeylsnd for example lost a LOT of talent thst few seemed to account for esrlier on
Hopkins' and Maryland's RPI are 4 and 5, respectively, currently. It's true that MD isn't at the same level they were last year, but these are two huge wins for the Hounds.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Agreed. Just not as great ss many thought
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

OCanada wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:02 pm Agreed. Just not as great ss many thought
👍
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Very sad season. So much hope early. Seems like without the freshman Minicus the offense is lost. James finally scores. Poitras and Higgins get some points but the turnovers just kill us early. Bring it to 7-5. Get a save and instead of a good offensive possession we turn it over on goalie clear and it’s 8-5 a minute later. Just bad mistake aftertaste mistakes. Get two goals from D Middies and that’s as many as our offensive middies got all game. Early on Murphy and Haberman were terrific. Lately they’ve disappeared. Defense that was so good early have become porous. Just can’t figure it out. Man up and we get a shot clock violation??? Are you kidding me? You can’t generate a decent shot with the man up. Just a terrible outing. Wait till next year. Waiting to see how many fifth year COVID guys stick around rather than transfer or just get on with their careers.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Formerhound wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:41 pm Very sad season. So much hope early. Seems like without the freshman Minicus the offense is lost. James finally scores. Poitras and Higgins get some points but the turnovers just kill us early. Bring it to 7-5. Get a save and instead of a good offensive possession we turn it over on goalie clear and it’s 8-5 a minute later. Just bad mistake aftertaste mistakes. Get two goals from D Middies and that’s as many as our offensive middies got all game. Early on Murphy and Haberman were terrific. Lately they’ve disappeared. Defense that was so good early have become porous. Just can’t figure it out. Man up and we get a shot clock violation??? Are you kidding me? You can’t generate a decent shot with the man up. Just a terrible outing. Wait till next year. Waiting to see how many fifth year COVID guys stick around rather than transfer or just get on with their careers.
I wondered the same, Does Evans transfer back home to Ohio St. Do younger players look to leave? Will Minicus look to greener pastures, he has proven himself as a player. Players choose a school and play lacrosse in hopes to compete for a national championship. I dont see playing for a conference championship in the near future.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:15 pm
Formerhound wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:41 pm Very sad season. So much hope early. Seems like without the freshman Minicus the offense is lost. James finally scores. Poitras and Higgins get some points but the turnovers just kill us early. Bring it to 7-5. Get a save and instead of a good offensive possession we turn it over on goalie clear and it’s 8-5 a minute later. Just bad mistake aftertaste mistakes. Get two goals from D Middies and that’s as many as our offensive middies got all game. Early on Murphy and Haberman were terrific. Lately they’ve disappeared. Defense that was so good early have become porous. Just can’t figure it out. Man up and we get a shot clock violation??? Are you kidding me? You can’t generate a decent shot with the man up. Just a terrible outing. Wait till next year. Waiting to see how many fifth year COVID guys stick around rather than transfer or just get on with their careers.
I wondered the same, Does Evans transfer back home to Ohio St. Do younger players look to leave? Will Minicus look to greener pastures, he has proven himself as a player. Players choose a school and play lacrosse in hopes to compete for a national championship. I dont see playing for a conference championship in the near future.
From what I’m told the freshmen love the program and aren’t going anywhere. Hugh Brown has been Out all season and he will help. Think next year these freshmen will have to take another step forward. Kamish, James and Poitras can return for 5th year. Wonder if Kamish follows brother to Rutgers for grad degree? Same with James. Poitras is a great box player and a Canadian. May choose another alternative rather than 5th year. McGorry, Roman and Houlihan are only 21s that appear to be in team’s future. We will see what transpires. Will be an interesting summer with the transfer portal.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Let’s assume these current seniors do come back for their 5th year. How would this offense improve from this current years iteration? Yes, you get a couple of projected contributors back with Mcgorry, Sullivan and Hugh Brown but the overall genetic makeup of this offense is still the same with Davis behind the goal, minicus on the wing and kamish/Habermann on the right wing.

IMO I don’t think it’s a system thing that’s occurring but I think it’s the individual skill sets of each player that doesn’t necessarily fit.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:48 pm Let’s assume these current seniors do come back for their 5th year. How would this offense improve from this current years iteration? Yes, you get a couple of projected contributors back with Mcgorry, Sullivan and Hugh Brown but the overall genetic makeup of this offense is still the same with Davis behind the goal, minicus on the wing and kamish/Habermann on the right wing.

IMO I don’t think it’s a system thing that’s occurring but I think it’s the individual skill sets of each player that doesn’t necessarily fit.
"IMO I don’t think it’s a system thing that’s occurring but I think it’s the individual skill sets of each player that doesn’t necessarily fit."

If the players do not fit the system... shouldn't the coaches have a system to fit their skill set? These are the players they recruited. You cannot fit a square peg through a round hole.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Do you think Loyola's at-large hopes are alive again with a victory over Georgetown on Tuesday?
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:39 pm Do you think Loyola's at-large hopes are alive again with a victory over Georgetown on Tuesday?
Not a chance
lorin

Post by lorin »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:34 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:39 pm Do you think Loyola's at-large hopes are alive again with a victory over Georgetown on Tuesday?
Not a chance
Sure your AD is on the selection board.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:49 am
houndace1 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:48 pm Let’s assume these current seniors do come back for their 5th year. How would this offense improve from this current years iteration? Yes, you get a couple of projected contributors back with Mcgorry, Sullivan and Hugh Brown but the overall genetic makeup of this offense is still the same with Davis behind the goal, minicus on the wing and kamish/Habermann on the right wing.

"IMO I don’t think it’s a system thing that’s occurring but I think it’s the individual skill sets of each player that doesn’t necessarily fit."

If the players do not fit the system... shouldn't the coaches have a system to fit their skill set? These are the players they recruited. You cannot fit a square peg through a round hole.
I honestly think the biggest problem is the lack of outside shooters. When Pete Swindel was here he opened up the inside game because he could shoot from 10-12 yards and score. He was up top on the man up which forced opponents to push out a bit on him, thus opening up the inside. Kinda like Thomas Bragg at Yale. Without that outside guy (Kamish can bring it but his accuracy is brutal and he’s been hurt a ton) defenses are allowed to stick inside making slides that much easier. The result is Loyola trying to force passes through small windows for in-close goals. We’ve seen the result: way too many turnovers. Davis Lindsay, who has arguably been their best non Minicus player this season had five turnovers v BU. He has 23 TO this season. Seth Higgins has 22 TO. They are trying to make the perfect pass into a tight place because they aren’t getting open looks from 7-10 yards out. If you add a guy that can score from distance I really think it will open up the dodging game. Not sure if anyone on the roster fits that bill. Maybe Cote?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:50 pm

I honestly think the biggest problem is the lack of outside shooters. When Pete Swindel was here he opened up the inside game because he could shoot from 10-12 yards and score. He was up top on the man up which forced opponents to push out a bit on him, thus opening up the inside. Kinda like Thomas Bragg at Yale. Without that outside guy (Kamish can bring it but his accuracy is brutal and he’s been hurt a ton) defenses are allowed to stick inside making slides that much easier. The result is Loyola trying to force passes through small windows for in-close goals. We’ve seen the result: way too many turnovers. Davis Lindsay, who has arguably been their best non Minicus player this season had five turnovers v BU. He has 23 TO this season. Seth Higgins has 22 TO. They are trying to make the perfect pass into a tight place because they aren’t getting open looks from 7-10 yards out. If you add a guy that can score from distance I really think it will open up the dodging game. Not sure if anyone on the roster fits that bill. Maybe Cote?
Two come to mind, James and higgins when they get step down look. It’s arguably the hardest shot on the team in terms of velo and power. But they have to get this shot while off of a clean catch, which just doesn’t happen…

The other thing I see is that there’s no speed… especially from up top. It’s the same ball movement aka alley dodge, throw behind to x, throw to the other wing, another pass, another re dodge, jam inside to try and score because no guy can beat their cover
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:02 pm
Formerhound wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:50 pm

Two come to mind, James and higgins when they get step down look. It’s arguably the hardest shot on the team in terms of velo and power. But they have to get this shot while off of a clean catch, which just doesn’t happen…

The other thing I see is that there’s no speed… especially from up top. It’s the same ball movement aka alley dodge, throw behind to x, throw to the other wing, another pass, another re dodge, jam inside to try and score because no guy can beat their cover
I think the observation about lack of an outside-shooting threat is spot on. I was think the very same during the BU game. The truth is, two of our best shooters lately, aside from Poitras, have been Sally and Rezanka! I'd like to see Heuston rip one from outside. Haberman has a good shot too.

And watching MD/Rutgers last night, I couldn't help but notice how fast both teams were playing on offense. Constant motion, and guys RUNNING with the ball, not the slow methodical dodging that we've been seeing from the Hounds lately.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

lorin wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:51 pm
Formerhound wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:34 pm
Not a chance
Sure your AD is on the selection board.
Aww, look how bitter our poor little Army troll is. So sad.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”