Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by The Orfling »

The Yale SID also did not appear to nominate Yale goalie Jared Paquette in a week in which he had 20 saves in a good win, so they might be lax neophytes who just look for most points in the game and don't think about defense. (Says this former defender: 'That's all right, we're used to it.') :D I might have to play my certified Gen X "Old Blue" card and email the SID the next time there's a notable defensive performance by the Bulldogs.

Or the SID is not a neophyte and realizes, fairly accurately, that so far this season the "Ws" for the Bulldogs have mainly come from offensive explosions.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

What a topsy-turvy season for Harvard! A loss to Dartmouth and a win against Cornell.

Is the “lost cause” newly found?

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:56 pm What a topsy-turvy season for Harvard! A loss to Dartmouth and a win against Cornell.

Is the “lost cause” newly found?

DocBarrister :)
I believe that it is newly found. Harvard has a lot of really good players. They had been under-achieving a bit this season before last Saturday.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

PicLax wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:43 pm I think the only scenario where 2 Ivys make the tournament is if Cornell’s resume remains strong, but somebody else wins the ILT. Cornell the only Ivy with a chance for an at-large, should they not win the ILT. Perhaps Penn if they win out and make the ILT finals and there is carnage in other conferences, particularly ACC and B10.
Regarding prediction on which 4 make the ILT, I think odds slightly favor Harvard over Brown, joining Cornell, Penn and Princeton. Harvard has a legitimate shot to go at least 3 & 3, and the tiebreaker would put them in over Brown if Brown also 3 & 3. I think in order for Brown to make it, they’ll need to go 4 & 2, which would require a win over a likely ticked Cornell. Even in that scenario, should Harvard win 2 of their last 3, Brown would be out.
In the 4-2 scenario, you are correct that Harvard would own the tiebreaker over Brown, but the Bears would actually have the tiebreaker over a 4-2 Cornell team. As I said in my earlier post, my head hurts when I start to imagine these scenarios. It’s actually more wide-open then most people think. For Brown and Yale, Saturday’s game is probably a must-win to open the door to Columbia.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

I wonder if they would ever consider going to a 6 team tournament? It always seems to come down to some fairly obscure tiebreakers for that fourth slot. Why not add two more teams and play it out? Big 10 does it.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

ctbagataway wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:24 pm I wonder if they would ever consider going to a 6 team tournament? It always seems to come down to some fairly obscure tiebreakers for that fourth slot. Why not add two more teams and play it out? Big 10 does it.
Richie Moran always advocated a six team tournament. I wonder if the first two teams would get a first round "bye", or how it might work (1 plays 6, 2 plays 5, 3 plays 4?)... At some point, I think that there'd need to be a bye or play-in of some type, but I'm not a bracket expert by any means.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:47 pm
ctbagataway wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:24 pm I wonder if they would ever consider going to a 6 team tournament? It always seems to come down to some fairly obscure tiebreakers for that fourth slot. Why not add two more teams and play it out? Big 10 does it.
Richie Moran always advocated a six team tournament. I wonder if the first two teams would get a first round "bye", or how it might work (1 plays 6, 2 plays 5, 3 plays 4?)... At some point, I think that there'd need to be a bye or play-in of some type, but I'm not a bracket expert by any means.
Argument against would be that one of the bottom two teams has a chance to steal the AQ, potentially knocking out a more worthy at-large team. B1G gives the top two teams the bye, so that they should be fresher for their semis, and thus less likely to be upset.

IMHO the problem with a six team tournament is more games, meaning that if one of the bottom four seeds manages to make the finals, and then is given a bid to the NCAAs, they could be gassed for their first round match-up. This happens reasonably often in the basketball tournament. And three games in succession is also a recipe for injury after an already long season.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Hugely important that Cornell is getting healthier. Got Long and SSDM Box back today against Marquette. Now just need to get SSDM Bozzi back. Long's absence and depleted ssdm rotation were huge issues against Harvard. Cornell has 3 loseable games remaining against talented opponents. If they can stay healthy, I think they can run the table.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Huge game for Brown State on Saturday as they head to New Haven to take on Yale. Brown played great against UPENN and I hope they bring their A game on Saturday.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:28 pm Huge game for Brown State on Saturday as they head to New Haven to take on Yale. Brown played great against UPENN and I hope they bring their A game on Saturday.
I’ve seen the “Brown State” terminology — is Brown partially funded by Rhode Island the way Cornell is by New York State for programs like the Ag School and Veterinary School? If so, what programs are funded by the state? I lived in RI for a short time but had never heard of this so was wondering if it was some sort of recent public-private partnership.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:58 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:28 pm Huge game for Brown State on Saturday as they head to New Haven to take on Yale. Brown played great against UPENN and I hope they bring their A game on Saturday.
I’ve seen the “Brown State” terminology — is Brown partially funded by Rhode Island the way Cornell is by New York State for programs like the Ag School and Veterinary School? If so, what programs are funded by the state? I lived in RI for a short time but had never heard of this so was wondering if it was some sort of recent public-private partnership.
I'll defer to someone from Brown for a more authoritative answer, but here I'll offer two explanations. (1) Brown was Rhode Island's state "land grant" university during most of the second half of the 19th century (as Yale was Connecticut's). (2) It's a nickname suggesting a lunch-pail, hard-hat athletic culture in which players willingly & enthusiastically do grunt work.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Ezra White wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:30 pm
I'll defer to someone from Brown for a more authoritative answer, but here I'll offer two explanations. (1) Brown was Rhode Island's state "land grant" university during most of the second half of the 19th century (as Yale was Connecticut's). (2) It's a nickname suggesting a lunch-pail, hard-hat athletic culture in which players willingly & enthusiastically do grunt work.
It has nothing to do with funding from the state. The story goes back to the 1970s when the brown lacrosse team was on a spring break trip in the south. At the hotel they were staying at the woman behind the desk asked where they were from and they told them they were from brown. The woman responded “oh brown state?” It has stuck ever since.

Today it stands for tough, gritty lacrosse.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:32 pm
It has nothing to do with funding from the state. The story goes back to the 1970s when the brown lacrosse team was on a spring break trip in the south. At the hotel they were staying at the woman behind the desk asked where they were from and they told them they were from brown. The woman responded “oh brown state?” It has stuck ever since.

Full story from former captain Luke McCaleb '20 is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B1tkds ... M5TJd/view
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

I always assumed it was intended ironically: Elite private school masquerading as low-rent State school.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice job Luke.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:46 pm

Love this from Luke!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

The Crosse Commission podcast says tomorrow's Brown @ Yale game is must-win for Bulldogs. Beside potentially falling to 1-4 in the Ivies (will they have any tiebreak wins if 2-4 is in the ILT conversation?) the Denver win vs Towson dropped Pios to 12, of course affecting Yale. Denver's upcoming vs PC & St John's aren't going to boost Denver either.

In crunch time, when talent is close (and on rep I'll take Yale's roster over Brown's) take the more desperate team. Add in Yale as home team, and the sour taste of last year's game also. Bears will need an A effort, 60 minutes, no downtime stretches.
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:49 am The Crosse Commission podcast says tomorrow's Brown @ Yale game is must-win for Bulldogs. Beside potentially falling to 1-4 in the Ivies (will they have any tiebreak wins if 2-4 is in the ILT conversation?) the Denver win vs Towson dropped Pios to 12, of course affecting Yale. Denver's upcoming vs PC & St John's aren't going to boost Denver either.

In crunch time, when talent is close (and on rep I'll take Yale's roster over Brown's) take the more desperate team. Add in Yale as home team, and the sour taste of last year's game also. Bears will need an A effort, 60 minutes, no downtime stretches.
There are a couple of scenarios where there are 4 teams tied at 2-4 and one of them will get the 4th spot in the ILT. It's above my pay grade to figure out the tie breakers!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:49 am The Crosse Commission podcast says tomorrow's Brown @ Yale game is must-win for Bulldogs. Beside potentially falling to 1-4 in the Ivies (will they have any tiebreak wins if 2-4 is in the ILT conversation?) the Denver win vs Towson dropped Pios to 12, of course affecting Yale. Denver's upcoming vs PC & St John's aren't going to boost Denver either.

I think the podcast is right. Among other things, Harvard’s win over Cornell and Brown’s over Penn seems to mean that Yale’s only realistic path to the ILT is to win tiebreakers over Harvard and Brown (as compares to, say, if Penn were to end up at 3-3 and Yale is competing with them for the last spot in the ILT, Penn wins the tiebreaker).

In terms of the game, Brown’s offense certainly seems well-suited to piling up bunches of goals against Yale’s defense. Brown’s FOGO, Gunty, is having a great year, and if Brown can get the early edge at the X and build a lead, this could be a tough day (again) for the Elis. Or it could be a repeat of the Penn game — Yale does well at the X for most of the game but can’t get the ball back and can’t get stops at the end of the game. Theriault is a great goalie who could certainly for his part stop Yale’s good shooters from going on a run.

Yale does have home field advantage, as you note, but without “poor mouthing” I would honestly see Yale as a bit of a home underdog in this one. Hoping for a great game.
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

I’m expecting a ton of goals btw Yale and Brown. Both defenses down this year and both keepers streaky—either could go 40% or 60% any given Saturday. Also seems like both squads love to push transition—think we’ll see a fun “fastest game on two feet” game

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”