Long Island 2023

HS Boys Lacrosse
LI13

Re: Long Island 2023

Post by LI13 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:13 pm He’s Loyola bound.
HP announcing crew seemed flummoxed at how the game was played without a shot clock. Amusing, but NY should really get with the program. It’s the way things are going.

*Brunswick goes down again 11-9 to Lawrenceville.
I enjoy the high school game and its varying styles that the lack of a clock allows. I hope they don't switch.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

LI13 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:38 pm
HP announcing crew seemed flummoxed at how the game was played without a shot clock. Amusing, but NY should really get with the program. It’s the way things are going.

I enjoy the high school game and its varying styles that the lack of a clock allows. I hope they don't switch.
Me too, a shot clock would just make the rich richer, not much of a chance for the few big upsets to be possible. Styles make fights. Would rather see wider use of a keep it in rule if anything
LI13

Post by LI13 »

flyerfan17 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:17 pm

Me too, a shot clock would just make the rich richer, not much of a chance for the few big upsets to be possible. Styles make fights. Would rather see wider use of a keep it in rule if anything
Yup. Plus, if you really want the ball back, don't let the other team stall. Force the issue. There are ways to do that.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

LI13 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:00 pm

Yup. Plus, if you really want the ball back, don't let the other team stall. Force the issue. There are ways to do that.
I’ll take the other side of this….I’d like a shot clock, and I’d be fine making it longer than a minute to enable stylistic differences to emerge and allow teams to play to their strengths instead of turning it into a track meet. But right now between faceoff domination denying a team the ball and the ability to milk the clock, teams can find themselves unfairly behind the 8 ball based on nothing to do with 6v6.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Chris - 6-0 is still a perfect mark, and in a world where A teams don’t look great anywhere else, it really stands out. WI on the other hand…..not very good
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:09 pm Chris - 6-0 is still a perfect mark, and in a world where A teams don’t look great anywhere else, it really stands out. WI on the other hand…..not very good
A win is a win. As long as we wake up in time for Connetquot.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Respectfully disagree. The Ridgefield/Darien state title in 2018 comes to mind. Impressive execution by Ridgefield and a great story, but they won a state championship by actively not trying to play lacrosse. Teams should do everything they can to win within the rules, but the rules should be crafted to ensure teams play the game. Not having a shot clock encourages teams that feel they are undermanned to do the opposite. And if you're not really playing the game, then what's the point? This is high school athletics not a professional league with monetary repercussions; it should be about competing to your best not playing keep away with the ball.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

random observer wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:43 pm

Respectfully disagree. The Ridgefield/Darien state title in 2018 comes to mind. Impressive execution by Ridgefield and a great story, but they won a state championship by actively not trying to play lacrosse. Teams should do everything they can to win within the rules, but the rules should be crafted to ensure teams play the game. Not having a shot clock encourages teams that feel they are undermanned to do the opposite. And if you're not really playing the game, then what's the point? This is high school athletics not a professional league with monetary repercussions; it should be about competing to your best not playing keep away with the ball.
It seems to me that Ridgefield was playing the game, but not the way Darien wanted. It's on Darien that they allowed that to happen for 48 minutes. There are ways to speed up a game that don't involve forced shots.
random observer

Post by random observer »

LI13 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:00 am

It seems to me that Ridgefield was playing the game, but not the way Darien wanted. It's on Darien that they allowed that to happen for 48 minutes. There are ways to speed up a game that don't involve forced shots.
They were playing a game, but only a cynic would call that game lacrosse. I have no problems with what Ridgefield did -- they were looking to win a state championship, and they did everything they could within the rule book to win. They got the title and they earned it. My issue isn't with them. My issue is that the rules should be crafted to encourage competition, not playing keep away with the ball. That's not what the people who invented the game envisioned. If the rules allow a team to hold onto the ball for 7+ minutes without even attempting to score a goal, that should be changed.

That's not to say that it's easy to pull off the strategy; going that long without making an error even at the highest levels of high school lacrosse is a challenge. But you say that there were things Darien could have done to speed up the game, and I'd love to hear what they are. You could say they could press out and try to force a turnover, but with stick technology these days that's a tall task to do consistently. You could say they could try to win face-offs, but the truth is if you don't have a guy who can match the other guy that's out of your hands. I don't think we should be encouraging strategies that boil down to having a better FOGO and running out the clock, making the game less fun to watch and play.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

random observer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:38 am
LI13 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:00 am

They were playing a game, but only a cynic would call that game lacrosse. I have no problems with what Ridgefield did -- they were looking to win a state championship, and they did everything they could within the rule book to win. They got the title and they earned it. My issue isn't with them. My issue is that the rules should be crafted to encourage competition, not playing keep away with the ball. That's not what the people who invented the game envisioned. If the rules allow a team to hold onto the ball for 7+ minutes without even attempting to score a goal, that should be changed.

That's not to say that it's easy to pull off the strategy; going that long without making an error even at the highest levels of high school lacrosse is a challenge. But you say that there were things Darien could have done to speed up the game, and I'd love to hear what they are. You could say they could press out and try to force a turnover, but with stick technology these days that's a tall task to do consistently. You could say they could try to win face-offs, but the truth is if you don't have a guy who can match the other guy that's out of your hands. I don't think we should be encouraging strategies that boil down to having a better FOGO and running out the clock, making the game less fun to watch and play.
I agree that stick technology makes it harder to force a turnover (and I think it should be regulated to change that!), but I've seen enough high school games to know that turnovers happen, especially when you put the offense under duress. It's harder to force a turnover on a stick check in college, but it's certainly do-able in high school. Yes, pressing out, doubling the ball, etc...have some risks involved, but you have to counter the strategy employed by the slow down team somehow. You can't...shouldn't...just let them milk away the entire game.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Anyone know if Manhasset vs Mercer Island is being streamed
LI13

Post by LI13 »

Flyers 17, Darien 7 final
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

kr522 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:14 pm Anyone know if Manhasset vs Mercer Island is being streamed
Search Mercer Island Lacrosse on YouTube it should come up.
I won’t spoil it for you but I did observe that #32 Jack Petersen was conspicuous by his complete absence; hope that’s short term.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:14 pm Anyone know if Manhasset vs Mercer Island is being streamed
Here's the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-334e8I0vX0
kr522

Post by kr522 »

I missed it….looks like a nice win at 12-5. Sucks if Petersen is going to miss any meaningful time
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:16 pm I missed it….looks like a nice win at 12-5. Sucks if Petersen is going to miss any meaningful time
I didn't want to write the score in case you were gonna watch it cold haha
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

You can watch it on replay if you really want. 8-1 after 1Q. Lackluster 4-4 thereafter with Manhasset getting many guys in the game. At least those Seattleites got to see what a sunny day looks like.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:38 pm You can watch it on replay if you really want. 8-1 after 1Q. Lackluster 4-4 thereafter with Manhasset getting many guys in the game. At least those Seattleites got to see what a sunny day looks like.
Lol, it didn’t stay sunny for them for very long. That’s typical Manhasset to sub out quickly and make the box score respectable….unlike GC from the old days which would run it up on anyone and everyone
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:54 pm
fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:38 pm You can watch it on replay if you really want. 8-1 after 1Q. Lackluster 4-4 thereafter with Manhasset getting many guys in the game. At least those Seattleites got to see what a sunny day looks like.
Lol, it didn’t stay sunny for them for very long. That’s typical Manhasset to sub out quickly and make the box score respectable….unlike GC from the old days which would run it up on anyone and everyone
Yeah that's the only reason you all didn't beat us 25-0 in 2007 and 2008.
CTlaxer12

Post by CTlaxer12 »

Had a chance to catch some of the St.A's v. St. John's DC game today. Nice W for St. A's 10-8 in DC and St. John's is very impressive as expected and certainly a top 10 team. I have to say in all my years (yes I am old) of watching high school I am hard pressed to remember a more impressive start by a team than St. A's this year, who have played one of the more difficult schedules of which I can think.

For my money (which is very little) the top three teams in the country are (1) St. A's (2) Manhasset (3) Chaminade and should be ranking accordingly. The gap between the top three is minimal and I believe any of the top 3 could beat each other on any day.

Continuing to beat a dead horse, lets see if IL does the right thing and ranks them 1-2-3 if they can stomach having that kind of LI representation.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”