New England West 2023

HS Boys Lacrosse
colaxn

Re: New England West 2023

Post by colaxn »

That was a really tough call at the end of the TP game, you could tell by the goalies reaction that he knew he didn’t tip the ball.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Should have gone to OT. TP's defending, ride and general organization was very good from what I saw tho I didn't see that much. Wing play from faceoffs was good too in the 2nd qtr, at any rate. Wambach was winning draws and TP was battling harder for ground balls. Again, I didn't see much of the 3rd and first 8 minutes of the 4th, so don't know what the overall color should be.

Just flipped on the Wick game and they're down by 2 near the end of the 3rd.
Laxrat/wNewengland

Post by Laxrat/wNewengland »

TP controlled the whole game until last 2 minutes. Was up 8-4. Lots of calls going bury way even at TP home. Behrman finally played for bury and had a great BTB to tie things up at end of game. TP playing without 2-3 starters on offense but my god is their D good. Arguably best goalie in the league this year now that ricciardelli is gone from Taft.

Loomis with a big win over a seemingly weak hotchkiss team. Choate with a big win over westy. Avon with a big win. Taft over hill (CAN).

Founders league looks much deeper than in years past. Excited to see things heat up!

Down goes Wick again! they need to figure out to bounce back or things could spiral.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Exeter beat Deerfield 15-5.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

I don’t understand what is happening in West I. Someone please restore order! 🤣
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

grelch wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:55 pm Exeter beat Deerfield 15-5.
You reversed the scores. It was DA - 15, Exeter - 5.
Finish Strong
grelch

Post by grelch »

The Exeter team page reversed the score then. That's where I got it.

https://www.exeter.edu/teams/lacrosse-boys-v/23sp
SlingtheRock7

Post by SlingtheRock7 »

The game of the weekend has to be Kent vs. Albany Academy. It has now been 1,435 days since Kent last won a lacrosse game (5/11/19: 9-8 over Westy). I'm not even talking about a Founder's League game, but ANY actual regular-season lacrosse game. They had three potentially winnable games on their schedule this year: Evergreen (CO), NMH, and Albany. They got killed 9-1 against Evergreen and fell to NMH 11-7. If they lose to Albany it's basically guaranteed that they lose out the rest of the schedule for their 3rd winless season in a row (2020 Covid season not included). The school should probably consider just disbanding the program at this point.
grelch

Post by grelch »

It’s too bad. Way, way, way back in my day, back when few if any schools accepted pg’s , they were one of the top programs in NE.

I reckon the 2 big games today are the Avon v Salisbury matchup, expecting an Avon win by 2 or 3, and the interesting Deerfield v Choate.
SlingtheRock7

Post by SlingtheRock7 »

Was there in the early 2010's. We were by no means contenders and would get blown out a few times a year by the traditional powerhouses. However, we'd play some of those big teams close, score a few upsets each year, and were at least overall competitive. Sad to see the team turn into what essentially looks like a JV roster these days. The new headmaster's promise of re-prioritizing athletics has not been kept up to this point.
grelch

Post by grelch »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:59 pm
grelch wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:55 pm Is that a turf field at Deerfield? Did they finally get rid of that pot hole filled potato patch they used to play on?
Potato 🥔 patch was my era. The lush natural grass of the Varsity football field was off limits except for four Fridays & Saturdays each Fall. The mid-90’s I believe the football field was allowed for lax. Field turf field this game was played on is in the North meadows. A classmate of mine donated it and as it’s on the upper level (instead of spring runoff/flood prone lower level including football field) it offers reliable early season (and anytime) option.

I loved that potato patch, by the way. Knew the individual divots for wacky goalie befuddling bounce shots!
Looks like they're back on the potato patch today, although the field looks to be in better than usual condition.

https://events.locallive.tv/events/101700
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Yes they are. Hopefully the game gets completed before the thunderstorms!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Full game so far, Choate is much improved this year, been a spell since the Boars were really a contender.
grelch

Post by grelch »

:shock: Who is the freshman for Deerfield who has 6 goals already? Nice to have that in your arsenal for the next 3 seasons. Good game. They're trading blows.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

grelch wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:20 pm :shock: Who is the freshman for Deerfield who has 6 goals already? Nice to have that in your arsenal for the next 3 seasons. Good game. They're trading blows.
Cooper Brozek, a freshman from Toronto who was starting for Tommy Augustine.

Final: CRH - 14, DA - 13. First win for the Boars vs the Big Green in 18 years, according to the announcers.

I caught the end of the first half and all of the second. DA was down by three at the half and never led in the second half although did tie it up several times. CRH has several quality players and will be a tough matchup for its remaining opponents. DA is talented but depends upon many young and new players. Could be a long spring for the Big Green compared to its recent seasons of success.
Finish Strong
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

SlingtheRock7 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:38 am The game of the weekend has to be Kent vs. Albany Academy. It has now been 1,435 days since Kent last won a lacrosse game (5/11/19: 9-8 over Westy). I'm not even talking about a Founder's League game, but ANY actual regular-season lacrosse game. They had three potentially winnable games on their schedule this year: Evergreen (CO), NMH, and Albany. They got killed 9-1 against Evergreen and fell to NMH 11-7. If they lose to Albany it's basically guaranteed that they lose out the rest of the schedule for their 3rd winless season in a row (2020 Covid season not included). The school should probably consider just disbanding the program at this point.
12-7 Albany, the beatings go on. I have been banging the Kent to West-2 drum for years. They play several games vs those schools every year already. I know tradition holds them in Founders but it is almost abusive to the players at this point. It looks like alums sacrificing them to satisfy their own ego as to who their alma mater plays. They would be an upper mid-pack West-2 team but lose competitive games to the 3 or 4 teams who would usually be better. A sad state of affairs.
SlingtheRock7

Post by SlingtheRock7 »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:39 pm
SlingtheRock7 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:38 am The game of the weekend has to be Kent vs. Albany Academy. It has now been 1,435 days since Kent last won a lacrosse game (5/11/19: 9-8 over Westy). I'm not even talking about a Founder's League game, but ANY actual regular-season lacrosse game. They had three potentially winnable games on their schedule this year: Evergreen (CO), NMH, and Albany. They got killed 9-1 against Evergreen and fell to NMH 11-7. If they lose to Albany it's basically guaranteed that they lose out the rest of the schedule for their 3rd winless season in a row (2020 Covid season not included). The school should probably consider just disbanding the program at this point.
12-7 Albany, the beatings go on. I have been banging the Kent to West-2 drum for years. They play several games vs those schools every year already. I know tradition holds them in Founders but it is almost abusive to the players at this point. It looks like alums sacrificing them to satisfy their own ego as to who their alma mater plays. They would be an upper mid-pack West-2 team but lose competitive games to the 3 or 4 teams who would usually be better. A sad state of affairs.
As an alum, I could not agree more. It's humiliating for anyone associated with the program, especially for the players. It already happened last year, but there will now be multiple Kent classes with 4-year varsity players who will graduate high school having never won a lacrosse game. If the administration doesn't want to support the sport any longer, fine. But don't then go require these kids to go out and try and compete against teams with at least 7+ college commits while you have, at most, 1. It's not fair to the players, nor is it fair to the other Founders League teams, who have to travel over an hour for a game that's realistically nothing more than a pre-game warm-up for the starters.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Salisbury beat Avon 14-11.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Taft-Westminster and Loomis-Berkshire postponed by thunderstorms

No score yet on TP v Kent on Friday.
colaxn

Post by colaxn »