ODAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Nothinbutthelax

Re: ODAC 2023

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Wolfe was still on crutches yesterday at Shenandoah…
Not sure if that’s in abundance of caution or if he’s out for year.. Grant Voight #2 is doing well but he’s not a sharp shooter lefty.
NOKE is always a battle both teams get up form. Can’t take them lightly..
Nothinbutthelax

Dylan Wolfe still on Crutches.
2nd game Dom Zingo not dressed. I don’t
know his injury?
Sr. Johnson capable but a weakness.
Nothinbutthelax

NOKE on a run. 8-8 with 3:00 in 2rd.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Barring a shocking upset, looks like the ODAC #1 seed will come down to the Lynchnburg vs. Hampden-Sydney game on the last day of the regular season.

Lynchburg should run the rest of the table until that game given they have already played Roanoke and Washington and Lee

H-SC only has one game remaining that should be competitive at Roanoke, which is two weeks from today on 4/22.

So we'll be looking at undefeated Lynchburg vs. either undefeated or one-loss Hampden-Sydney for the #1 seed three weeks from today on 4/29 at Lynchburg.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:26 pm Lynchburg will dismantle Roanoke, lots of laundry in this contest. Looking for Hadley to have a big day. Any word on Wolfe. Let’s see rookie of the year Hastings catch fire in this contest
Lynchburg did not dismantle Roanoke as you thought they would. I think the ODAC is still wide open for the AQ bid. Getting that second seed will be big. Still could be HSC, W&L or Noke getting that second spot.
Ol'Southlacrosse

Post by Ol'Southlacrosse »

I think depending on how the rest of the competitive games play out ODAC could be a two or even three-bid league. Whoever wins ODAC gets the AQ obviously. But, I see a path for one or even two more bids and they go as follows.

HSC has Noke and Lynchburg left if they win one of those games (mostly likely Noke) and then make it to the championship they should get a bid in my opinion. If they win both of those games and make it to the championship they're in, they may not even need the championship game to do so.

W&L is in if they make it to the championship IMO.

LYN is in if they beat HSC in the regular season and make it to the championship.

The side note really love the HSC defense, both close and mid-play have looked really strong in front of a super-strong goalie.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Ol'Southlacrosse wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:18 pm I think depending on how the rest of the competitive games play out ODAC could be a two or even three-bid league. Whoever wins ODAC gets the AQ obviously. But, I see a path for one or even two more bids and they go as follows.

HSC has Noke and Lynchburg left if they win one of those games (mostly likely Noke) and then make it to the championship they should get a bid in my opinion. If they win both of those games and make it to the championship they're in, they may not even need the championship game to do so.

W&L is in if they make it to the championship IMO.

LYN is in if they beat HSC in the regular season and make it to the championship.

The side note really love the HSC defense, both close and mid-play have looked really strong in front of a super-strong goalie.
How do the regional rankings help this year?
NCAA D3 Region 4 current rankings are:
1) Lynchburg
2) Denison
3) W&L
4) Roanoke
5) Hampden Sydney
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I don't think the regional rankings for 2023 have been released yet so I'm not sure where you got the "current" rankings?
The ODAC will be lucky to be a two bid league. Hampden Sydney will need to beat Noke and Lynchburg and then make it to the ODAC final to have any chance of an at large bid. W&L will have to beat Roanoke and also make it to the ODAC final to have a chance of an at large bid. If Lynchburg beats HSC and then makes the ODAC final they will get an at large bid. The only way Roanoke will make the NCAA tournament is if they win the ODAC AQ.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JustOneTime wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:31 pm I don't think the regional rankings for 2023 have been released yet so I'm not sure where you got the "current" rankings?
The ODAC will be lucky to be a two bid league. Hampden Sydney will need to beat Noke and Lynchburg and then make it to the ODAC final to have any chance of an at large bid. W&L will have to beat Roanoke and also make it to the ODAC final to have a chance of an at large bid. If Lynchburg beats HSC and then makes the ODAC final they will get an at large bid. The only way Roanoke will make the NCAA tournament is if they win the ODAC AQ.
This is generally correct. And any ODAC pool C bids including Lynchburg are pretty contingent on no bid thieves stealing an AQ from a better team. Like Ursinus winning the Centennial as an example.

It does get interesting for W&L as they have more quality out of conference wins, holding wins over York and Denison. Lynn burg has a win over Cabrini. They also have a win over Ithaca who is 7-2 and still has games vs RIT, Union, RPI, Cortland, and STJF. While I think it’s unlikely they run the table. If they were to go 4-1 or even 3-2 down the stretch that would give W&L another quality win over a top 20 team. W&L would have the three of the four best non conference wins in the ODAC.

As of this moment Lynchburg and W&L look like they’d be in, if RC or HSC won the ODAC they’d likely just be knocking out another ODAC team from pool C.

If Lynchburg and W&L make the ODAC finals then they are likely looking like two tournament teams. However the loser of that game will probably be the last team in, as long as there aren’t conference tourny upsets. Lynchburg and W&L have very similar resumes at this stage.
ODAD

Post by ODAD »

I’m thinking the ODAC is a 2 tournament team. AQ + runner up.

IMO Lynchburg and W&L are pretty even with Lynchburg having a slight bump because of the head to head win and a stronger schedule.

HSC is not far behind both but will have to make it to the championship and at least keep the game close. A repeat of last years odac championship performance won’t cut it.

Noke has to win out to make it - including the championship which is unlikely.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

ODAD wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:19 pm I’m thinking the ODAC is a 2 tournament team. AQ + runner up.

IMO Lynchburg and W&L are pretty even with Lynchburg having a slight bump because of the head to head win and a stronger schedule.

HSC is not far behind both but will have to make it to the championship and at least keep the game close. A repeat of last years odac championship performance won’t cut it.

Noke has to win out to make it - including the championship which is unlikely.
HSC strength of schedule is not very good. Margins of victory and defeat have absolutely no bearing on receiving a pool c bid. Scores are not a criteria. It doesn’t matter if they lose in OT or lose by 30. It’s just a loss.
ODAD

Post by ODAD »

Good to know. I agree HSC has a week OOC schedule compared to Lynchburg. W&L has one more top team in their OOC than HSC. If it comes down to wins and losses & both teams have to get by Noke before the conference tournament.. It will be interesting to see where the chips fall. I wouldn’t be comfortable if I were either team.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

ODAD wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:18 pm Good to know. I agree HSC has a week OOC schedule compared to Lynchburg. W&L has one more top team in their OOC than HSC. If it comes down to wins and losses & both teams have to get by Noke before the conference tournament.. It will be interesting to see where the chips fall. I wouldn’t be comfortable if I were either team.
for reference current SOS rankings

Lynchburg 15
W&L 23
HSC 52

W&Ls OOC is much better.

York is better than SVU.
Gettysburg is better than Greensboro
Washington College is better than Ohio Northern
And surprisingly Ithaca is higher rated by computers than Cabrini.

Also when looking at HSCs schedule compared to W&L they play 17 games with 10 ODAC opponents. W&L plays 17 games with 9 ODAC opponents. Does anyone know the why here? Did HSC schedule an ODAC team as a “non-conference” game?
ODAD

Post by ODAD »

No one is disputing Greensboro, southern Virginia and Ohio northern are not good opponents. CPU programs enthusiasts create are cool and all, but when you look at the number of USILA top 20 teams in both OOC schedules, W&L has 4 and HSC has 3. Lynchburg has 6 - that was mainly my point. At the end of the day I would argue that head to head is more important than SOS when comparing teams in general, but I understand that’s not how tournament bids work. The undefeated Pfeiffers of the world will still get in when all top 4 ODAC schools should off of merit alone. That’s the unfortunate part of D3 lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

ODAD wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:00 pm No one is disputing Greensboro, southern Virginia and Ohio northern are not good opponents. CPU programs enthusiasts create are cool and all, but when you look at the number of USILA top 20 teams in both OOC schedules, W&L has 4 and HSC has 3. Lynchburg has 6 - that was mainly my point. At the end of the day I would argue that head to head is more important than SOS when comparing teams in general, but I understand that’s not how tournament bids work. The undefeated Pfeiffers of the world will still get in when all top 4 ODAC schools should off of merit alone. That’s the unfortunate part of D3 lacrosse
The goal is to grow the game. Conference winners get in. The at large should really go to non hotbed teams. Sending 4 teams from one conference isn’t growing the sport at all
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:17 pm
ODAD wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:00 pm No one is disputing Greensboro, southern Virginia and Ohio northern are not good opponents. CPU programs enthusiasts create are cool and all, but when you look at the number of USILA top 20 teams in both OOC schedules, W&L has 4 and HSC has 3. Lynchburg has 6 - that was mainly my point. At the end of the day I would argue that head to head is more important than SOS when comparing teams in general, but I understand that’s not how tournament bids work. The undefeated Pfeiffers of the world will still get in when all top 4 ODAC schools should off of merit alone. That’s the unfortunate part of D3 lacrosse
The goal is to grow the game. Conference winners get in. The at large should really go to non hotbed teams. Sending 4 teams from one conference isn’t growing the sport at all
The goal isn’t to grow the game, it’s to create the most competitive tournament possible. When UNICEF sponsors college athletics then the goal will be to grow the game.
smoova

Post by smoova »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:33 pm The goal isn’t to grow the game, it’s to create the most competitive tournament possible. When UNICEF sponsors college athletics then the goal will be to grow the game.
Preach!
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:33 pm
The goal isn’t to grow the game, it’s to create the most competitive tournament possible. When UNICEF sponsors college athletics then the goal will be to grow the game.
If this were true, why allow low level teams from low level conferences? The NCAA would just take the top 32 teams. They have never done that as long as I have followed the sport.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:14 pm
If this were true, why allow low level teams from low level conferences? The NCAA would just take the top 32 teams. They have never done that as long as I have followed the sport.
Because "Cinderella stories" are compelling. And the conference directors demand inclusion at some level.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

HooDat wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:55 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:14 pm
Because "Cinderella stories" are compelling. And the conference directors demand inclusion at some level.
This debunks your theory of allowing 4 teams from the ODAC. If Roanoke was a Cinderella story, they wouldn’t have a mediocre season, then get knocked out in the semis of the ODAC, just to start the Cinderella run after they fall in. The ODAC playoffs are the time for become a Cinderella.

And beyond the parents of that 4th and 5th seed of each conference, no one else wants to see them in the tourney.

Win your conference and get in. And if you are really good, you get an at large. The same way every other sport does it.

Still not understanding why someone would want to omit a conference champ from the tourney.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”