Virginia at Duke, Saturday 4-15, 1 pm

Post by Finster »

Another incredible matchup.

I like UVA on a revenge mission.

16-14, inverse of last game.
HooDat

Re: Virginia at Duke, Saturday 4-15, 1 pm

Post by HooDat »

One very big question is Shellenberger. Will he be back or do they rest him for the tournament?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
molo

Post by molo »

I’m going to assume he doesn’t play. I have no inside knowledge but am guessing that it’s a lingering injury the would benefit from rest. If Sunderland replaces him, his much do they change the offense? He’s not captain of carrying against a number one defenseman at this stage. Do they initiate with McConey and Shultz up top? Throw in more inverts with Conner? Let the Reaper, a feeder in hs, carry the ball more?
Carpenter, an excellent pole on the wings and between the lines played close last week. I don’t know if that was due to injury or by design. The announcers, too concerned with the backyard play of the brothers, never mentioned this. Of course, that would require paying attention to the game. If he does play close, UVA would be wise to press the issue. He might be just as good down low, but it might be like the situation with Kennedy at SU. We know the other two class dmen are quite a pair.
Finster

Post by Finster »

HooDat wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:22 pm One very big question is Shellenberger. Will he be back or do they rest him for the tournament?

I think Shellenberger is the Tewey, but UVA didn’t miss him at all last week. And of course UNC isn’t Duke, but I’d still give the edge to the Hoos this week versus Duke.
The real beast

Post by The real beast »

Hopefully Shellenberger shows up this time. The trick to a good disappearing act is showing back up
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

If he’s not 100%, I’d rest him until he is. We are in the tournament so don’t push it.
laxerr20

Post by laxerr20 »

I do not think sunderland is ready to play big boy ACC lax yet. Put schutz down at attack like he played in high school and bring up miezan to the first line and let him run with conners, mconvey or garno. Or throw in Pat mcintosh at attack with Dickson and Corms. Either way I am taking the cavs and Lars this weekend.
Finster

Post by Finster »

laxerr20 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:13 am I do not think sunderland is ready to play big boy ACC lax yet. Put schutz down at attack like he played in high school and bring up miezan to the first line and let him run with conners, mconvey or garno. Or throw in Pat mcintosh at attack with Dickson and Corms. Either way I am taking the cavs and Lars this weekend.

Lars knows what he’s doing. Sunderland’s body isn’t D1 ready, but his lacrosse IQ and stick skills are. I watched him in person versus UNC; he’s a heady player, should’ve had 3-4 more assists with great passes, but the shooter didn’t convert. The young kids in the stands at the game for whatever reason REALLY like Sunderland. I don’t know what that’s about, but the kid has legions of high school fans.

By playing him now, Tiffany is giving Sunderland priceless experience for next year.

As to Schutz, I don’t see him at X at all. That would dramatically throw off the Virginia offense.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

laxerr20 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:13 am I do not think sunderland is ready to play big boy ACC lax yet. Put schutz down at attack like he played in high school and bring up miezan to the first line and let him run with conners, mconvey or garno. Or throw in Pat mcintosh at attack with Dickson and Corms. Either way I am taking the cavs and Lars this weekend.
schutz played mostly middie in h.s. he played attack in summer club games in the offseason.

i def would like to see more of miezan. he makes plays.

i expect duke may consider double poling the midfield. uva needs to get up more shots before the turnover. hopefully good weather.
laxerr20

Post by laxerr20 »

Finster wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:52 am

Lars knows what he’s doing. Sunderland’s body isn’t D1 ready, but his lacrosse IQ and stick skills are. I watched him in person versus UNC; he’s a heady player, should’ve had 3-4 more assists with great passes, but the shooter didn’t convert. The young kids in the stands at the game for whatever reason REALLY like Sunderland. I don’t know what that’s about, but the kid has legions of high school fans.

By playing him now, Tiffany is giving Sunderland priceless experience for next year.

As to Schutz, I don’t see him at X at all. That would dramatically throw off the Virginia offense.

I was not really saying put Schutz at X but he needs to be on the field at all times. I would put Dickson at X and schutz and cormier on the wing. But that is just me! I clearly do not know as much as Lars or I would be coaching UVA not typing on a forumn
Finster

Post by Finster »

laxerr20 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:11 am
Finster wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:52 am

I was not really saying put Schutz at X but he needs to be on the field at all times. I would put Dickson at X and schutz and cormier on the wing. But that is just me! I clearly do not know as much as Lars or I would be coaching UVA not typing on a forumn

I don’t have inside knowledge, but I’d bet you’ll see Shellenberger out there this weekend. He wouldn’t miss this game.
molo

Post by molo »

From the interview, I’m guessing that Sunderland starts in the role of what Q once called a “ball spinning” X attackman. He said it somewhat dismissively about the then freshman, who eventually won the T and did more than spin the ball for a team that won the NC.
listener

Post by listener »

The game is at noon.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Shelly is out … at least according to the UVa game notes. 🤷🏻‍♂️
molo

Post by molo »

So does Duke shuffle defensive assignments? This allows them some creativity with matchups.
molo

Post by molo »

Current forecast for Durham at face-off is 63 with chance of a tstorm. Rain in forecast until 2:00.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

rasheed wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:03 pm If he’s not 100%, I’d rest him until he is. We are in the tournament so don’t push it.
If he is healed enough and no chance of making it worse then he will play. Otherwise, Virginia has bigger fish to fry in preparation for the tournament than any remaining games. Would Love to play Duke at full strength but not at the expense of being 100% for the tourney.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Is #11 ranked UNC not big boy enough ACC lax? Sunderland played well in that game by not having many turnovers and distributing. Mcintosh replaced Cormier on the wing when the latter was injured for a couple of games. He was fantastic in the 1st one and less effective in the 2nd. It appears the staff likes Sunderland better at the QB spot than your alternatives, but who knows. Lars has also been very emphatic in his praise of Sunderland in that role at UNC. Would be shocked if he isn't given the opportunity to start there again, if Shellenberger doesn't play.
molo

Post by molo »

With game notes showing Sunderland starting at attack, I’m guessing Duke won’t cover him with Brower or Stephenson. If Carpenter plays close instead of pole, he could cover Sunderland. I don’t know if he was playing close last week by plan or if he moved down because of an injury. In any event, Duke can be more creative now with their one and two cover guys.
molo

Post by molo »

Looks like clear and sunny.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”