~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: ~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:38 pm if and when burkinshaw does transfer, he'll have plenty of coaches who will take his call. and also plenty where he could be a good fit, this before any of us would know exactly what he's looking for. which i'm guessing no one here does.

as a fan, i was expecting he'd get a longer leash after his initial game, but for whatever reason, that didn't happen. i will say --- if internet board chatter is to be believed -- he may be lacrosse's answer to scott mitchell, and parlayed that appearance into a starting job, full scholarship, and maybe a seat on his next school's board of directors.

I just hope the kid finds the right fit. I know folks who knew him in HS and say he is a fearsome competitor. Rode has struck me as being somewhat game erratic, having great beyond-heroic games, then not-so-great games. I do know he is well-liked by teammates; very easy going personality.

Burkinshaw had a great game against Princeton (?) and probably deserved another shot, but like you said, we don't know the full story.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

LandM wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:34 pm First post here in this thread. Played football at the "other service" Academy that does not get much lax love but the boys in Blue after all the turmoil are doing pretty well this year. Anyway, credit to your team to stand behind the Army players during the alma mater. Class all the way! Good luck with the rest of your season.
Thanks for taking the time to post the kind words about a team that isn't "yours." Coach Toomey was an assistant at the "other other" service academy (in Annapolis), so I am sure that the respect that he has, and that he demands of his players for the post-game tradition is sincere. I've noticed that he always stands at attention during the National Anthem, which is a cool carryover from his Navy days.

It's nice to see that Air Force has bounced back from the adversity. They went through a really tough stretch. Glad that is behind them now.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

I'm sorry that I missed all of the pre-game pessimism and gloom last week. Somehow, notifications got turned off for this thread, and I just assumed everyone went into hibernation following the BU spectacle. Trust me, i was right with everyone else sweating the Army match-up.

That was a tough game to watch. I invented about 12 new curse words during the first quarter. It (I) was so bad that my wife had to leave the house, and she took the dog with her for his sake. As Panarelli said repeatedly, Loyola was literally throwing the game away in the first quarter. It looked like the 5th quarter of the BU game, maybe the 7th quarter of the Georgetown game. Sheesh.

Anyway, the two things that got me excited in a good way about that game are:
  • Savio was a machine. He is really developing into a formidable FOGO.
  • This is the first game this season where we actually improved as the game progressed. Nearly every game this season, we started hot, and then gradually cooled. Or, against Towson, Duke, and BU, we never got hot at all.
I am looking forward to a lopsided win against Lafayette with no injuries, and then on to the PL Tournament at Ridley.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

GreyingHound wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:23 pm I'm sorry that I missed all of the pre-game pessimism and gloom last week. Somehow, notifications got turned off for this thread, and I just assumed everyone went into hibernation following the BU spectacle. Trust me, i was right with everyone else sweating the Army match-up.

That was a tough game to watch. I invented about 12 new curse words during the first quarter. It (I) was so bad that my wife had to leave the house, and she took the dog with her for his sake. As Panarelli said repeatedly, Loyola was literally throwing the game away in the first quarter. It looked like the 5th quarter of the BU game, maybe the 7th quarter of the Georgetown game. Sheesh.

Anyway, the two things that got me excited in a good way about that game are:
  • Savio was a machine. He is really developing into a formidable FOGO.
  • This is the first game this season where we actually improved as the game progressed. Nearly every game this season, we started hot, and then gradually cooled. Or, against Towson, Duke, and BU, we never got hot at all.
I am looking forward to a lopsided win against Lafayette with no injuries, and then on to the PL Tournament at Ridley.

I agree with both these points. I am very excited to see how Savio does over the next few years, let alone the next few games. I think this kid's confidence was bolstered by his showing against Lehigh's Gaffney, where he hung in there despite being goose-egged in Q1. He managed to get his footing and really keep that game in hand.

I also agree on that second part. Not sure how or why this team does not keep the throttle up, but oftentimes you see this kind of play where a team feel it has the top guy on their squad and can always eke out a win even if they let the other team back in. That could be the case with the Hounds, knowing they have Spencer. But as we older guys know too well, no one player will keep a top lacrosse team undefeated...and when you allow other teams to claw their way back into a game after being up by a lot, you are simply playing with fire.

As for this weekend, I would note that again this is a nighttime game for the hounds and we have yet to have a stellar nighttime game this season, which amazes me as I would think this team with its offensive power would enjoy the lights. Friday night games are meant for offense. Let's see how we do. I wish I knew their travel schedule to get inside the mind of Toomey. Do the Hounds travel Thursday and spend a night? Do they practice at home Thursday night, then simply drive up mid morning Friday? Anyone know?
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:00 am
I agree with both these points. I am very excited to see how Savio does over the next few years, let alone the next few games. I think this kid's confidence was bolstered by his showing against Lehigh's Gaffney, where he hung in there despite being goose-egged in Q1. He managed to get his footing and really keep that game in hand.
I actually got a chance to talk to Savio after the Lehigh game. (They announced after the game that anyone who wanted autographs could line up on the field. I was the only adult who went down. LOL!)

I asked him what happened in the second half with the total domination at the faceoff X, did Gaffney get hurt, or did Savio figure him out? He was very modest, but said that he felt like he had figured out Gaffney. Really impressive! I hope he continues to figure out his opponents like this.

Savio is one of very few FOGOs in the country, if not the only one, who takes every faceoff for his team. It's a long season. I hope he holds up.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Can we get a PLT discussion going on. For instance, who would we rather see as a 2 seed- Lehigh or BU? Personally Lehigh as the 2 with BU as the 3 and Army as 4. As the No 1 seed, assuming we beat Lafayette Friday. we then play the LOWEST remaining seed of the quarters so the possibility would be seeds 4-6. No. 2 seed team takes on the highest remaining seed after the Quarters so they're options are 3-5. In hindsight, if Lehigh wins against HC this weekend, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY we can see BU again at least until the finals. Root for Lehigh to beat HC to make this happen. And also Navy to beat BU just for good measure.

IF all this works, and lets say BU makes it to the final, they will play 3 games in a span of 6 days. Every team in the country would be gassed at that point.

Finally lax reference updated their bracketology.
With a win at lafayette, loyola has a 96.6% chance of making the NCAA.
Win in the PL SF. 99.0% with 88% of hosting a first round NCAA game.
Lose in the PL SF 82.3% with a 29.2% chance of hosting a first round game

Obviously win the PLT and host is the goal. Lets go boys
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 pm Can we get a PLT discussion going on. For instance, who would we rather see as a 2 seed- Lehigh or BU? Personally Lehigh as the 2 with BU as the 3 and Army as 4. As the No 1 seed, assuming we beat Lafayette Friday. we then play the LOWEST remaining seed of the quarters so the possibility would be seeds 4-6. No. 2 seed team takes on the highest remaining seed after the Quarters so they're options are 3-5. In hindsight, if Lehigh wins against HC this weekend, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY we can see BU again at least until the finals. Root for Lehigh to beat HC to make this happen. And also Navy to beat BU just for good measure.

IF all this works, and lets say BU makes it to the final, they will play 3 games in a span of 6 days. Every team in the country would be gassed at that point.

Finally lax reference updated their bracketology.
With a win at lafayette, loyola has a 96.6% chance of making the NCAA.
Win in the PL SF. 99.0% with 88% of hosting a first round NCAA game.
Lose in the PL SF 82.3% with a 29.2% chance of hosting a first round game

Obviously win the PLT and host is the goal. Lets go boys
BU will demolish Navy. Navy is woeful. If you are waiting on Navy to suddenly become a good squad, do not hold your breath, houndace. They are truly not a good team. Good FOGO and a good goalie, but their offensive sets are painful to watch. Whoever coaches their offense apparently has no idea that a shot clock is in force; I've never seen a D1 team so oblivious to the shot clock. They pass the ball around the perimeter with zero ISO dodging, until about 5 seconds left on the shot clock. Just painful to watch. They and Hopkins need coaching changes yesterday.

Lehigh will have a much harder time with Holy Cross, who are good. That should be a tight affair.

If both win, then Lehigh is #2 and BU 3, which really doesn't do much even if you interchange them, tbh. It doesn't matter much which role they end up in. Here's my call; we stunk the bed against BU...let's play them and get revenge. I will cheer for that eventuality, which I think will happen anyway, because at that stage the Hounds ought to be in good form barring any injuries.

I hate to overlook any team, and Lafayette surely has zero to lose by headhunting against the Hounds. I really want the Hounds to come out firing on Friday, and keep firing, subs and all, until the last whistle.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Add to your insightful post Peter, but BU's Germain, the guy who defended Spencer the whole game is actually injured now. Unfortunate to hear a guy go down, but now it might unlock Spencer fully if BU and Loyola meet again
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:55 pm Add to your insightful post Peter, but BU's Germain, the guy who defended Spencer the whole game is actually injured now. Unfortunate to hear a guy go down, but now it might unlock Spencer fully if BU and Loyola meet again
The team with the real injury problem is Lehigh. I mean, practically their entire starting defense is out. I could see them having some major hurdles right now. Holy Cross has them on their schedule at the exact right time. The game is at HC as well; Gaffney will need to go nearly 100% for Lehigh to win this contest IMO.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 pm [
If both win, then Lehigh is #2 and BU 3, which really doesn't do much even if you interchange them, tbh. It doesn't matter much which role they end up in. .
The only reason it matters is #3 has to play a quarterfinal game, while #2 will have fresh legs in the semifinals.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:33 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 pm [
If both win, then Lehigh is #2 and BU 3, which really doesn't do much even if you interchange them, tbh. It doesn't matter much which role they end up in. .
The only reason it matters is #3 has to play a quarterfinal game, while #2 will have fresh legs in the semifinals.
Exactly.... sooo BU get the three seed so that when semi's time or even finals time, legs will be not as rested
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Any chance that could prevent us from winning the PLT, and getting a first round home game, needs to be absolutely extinguished. That means having BU as a quarter finalist after friday, not a semi finalist.
Would this include playing a injury filled lehigh team possibly for the PLT final and winning? then heck yes it will include.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:48 pm Any chance that could prevent us from winning the PLT, and getting a first round home game, needs to be absolutely extinguished. That means having BU as a quarter finalist after friday, not a semi finalist.
Would this include playing a injury filled lehigh team possibly for the PLT final and winning? then heck yes it will include.
It also means they have to win twice just to get to Sunday. I think Loyola can play much better and beat Boston but I also wouldn't mind not having to test that theory.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

First, let's not overlook Lafayette this Friday.

Second, I think some teams can play at a higher level if they actually play more games consecutively on days, or even in two days. Plays seem to gel better with the memory fresh, even if the legs are not. The only position that would begin to concern me would be FOGO in a game every other day scenario for one weekend, and that is strictly because we only have Savio so far as I can tell (there has GOT to be one other guy on the team who can handle FOGO...Penn has a secret weapon on their midfield line who can play FOGO if required; otherwise he's an o-mid).

Let's play BU, and I don't care how we get there. That was a disgraceful performance up in Boston. The Hounds have to overcome that demon. Payback is required.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Not sure where to start. OK. Pat Spencer selected #1 in PLL draft! He earned it and makes those playing around him better. Such a joy to watch him and marvel at the ridiculous plays he generates or makes. Class Act all the way.

Got a game at Lafayette to prepare for. Can't look much further ahead although I did enjoy the comments about next season and I tend to agree with all of them. Let's finish this season...

Comeback against Army was impressive. Hopefully that builds some confidence and belief that it doesn't matter how you start, it's how you finish. Again - impressive comeback on the road against a solid team.

Can't wait to get back to the RAC next week.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Let's do this, Hounds. One game at a time. Lafayette. Under the lights. Easton PA. Bring your best game and do not let up.

Need the wings to help Savio.

Need Stover to be dialed in.

Need defense to be aggressive and DO NOT screen Stover on shots.

Need mids to slide off picks and communicate.

Need Scanlan to show off his ISO skills.

Need Olmstead and Lindley to take pressure off Spencer and find him on backdoor cuts.

Finally, play this game like it's the last game of the season. Lafayette will.

Let's go.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

IL released scenarios for the PL race for tomorrows games. There are 16 total possible scenarios where Loyola gets the top seed in 14 of them, including with a loss to Lafayette and other factors.

Just make sure you cement the 1 seed tomorrow with a win
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I don't care about any post-season scenario except this: bring the A game tonight and win.

Lafayette has absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by playing their hearts out, and trust me they will. The way to deflate a team whose season ends tonight is to come out fast and efficient. Run the score up; let your subs shoot at will. Penn just crushed Harvard 26-13, use that as a guidepost. Do not let these guys hang around.

If I were Toomey, the answer is to encourage fast breaks, unsettled offense, and of course, let Spencer go wild. Every single Hounds team member better realize that Lafayette isn't showing up tonight to simply stare at Loyola. Once again, Loyola will have to earn this win.

Let's go.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

I honestly think Loyola could win tonight if the entire starting attack and first midfield missed the bus and got left behind at Ridley. Lafayette is a very weak team that really doesn't even belong in the Patriot League. My prediction, assuming Spencer and co. do make the trip, is 18-6.

However, I agree it is important to win this game and finish strong. Here's a telling stat: No team seeded lower than 2nd has ever won the Patriot League tournament. Playing in the quarterfinal round is a killer. Even though it is mathematically impossible for the Hounds to finish below 2nd, we need to lock this up and leave no doubts.

Go Hounds!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Crap weather...lots of rain with possibly lightening. Hard to say who that favors or doesn't favor.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”