Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

Double overtime, basically a tie. Some good things to take away...some not so good. Build on it and move forward.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

The B1G is so tough, so competitive this year. Games are fun to watch. I love the way we competed tonight (and the whole year).
Basement Bias

Post by Basement Bias »

Gutted. Some questionable decisions on offense at the end of regulation to the losing goal. :oops: :cry:
Last edited by Basement Bias on Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

F*ck, Deans has a cast on his right hand
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:15 pm Double overtime, basically a tie. Some good things to take away...some not so good. Build on it and move forward.
Yup
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

They waited too late to get Narewski in the game.
Didn't like the officiating one bit.
When you're a defenseman with the ball and you're in big trouble throw the ball up the field and let your attack fight for the ball.
primitiveskills

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:15 pm Double overtime, basically a tie. Some good things to take away...some not so good. Build on it and move forward.
I think going up so easily in the 1Q was a curse in diguise. We definitely lost the mental edge. But full credit to coming back after being 3 down. Even guys with off-games made big plays at the end. I like where we are.
a fan

Post by a fan »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:15 pm The B1G is so tough, so competitive this year. Games are fun to watch. I love the way we competed tonight (and the whole year).
It's been a ton of fun to watch the Conferences this year. Saw part of the Harvard upset over Cornell. Some may disagree, but I love what the conferences have done to our sport.

And I can't wait for the Conference tournaments.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Devastating loss after a taking a 5-0 lead and coming back down 10-7. Szuluk with the blown restart in the 4th quarter and the final turnover in the 2nd OT. Credit the Blue Jays for coming back, but just can’t escape the sense that the Blue Jays blew this game.

Pretty much makes next week’s Ohio State game a must-win contest.

We will see if the Blue Jays come back after this tough loss. This team doesn’t quit … but the B1G is really tough this season. Losing out with four consecutive losses to end the season is not outside the realm of possibility.

Collison is in a bad slump. Angelus shut out tonight. No one other than Narewski seemed able to win a FO.

Hopkins has come a long way, but the Blue Jays have a lot to work on.

Congratulations to Penn State on the hard fought win.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:19 pm They waited too late to get Narewski in the game.
When you're a defenseman with the ball and you're in big trouble throw the ball up the field and let your attack fight for the ball.
Nah. Every defenseman is taught to roll-back and look back to the keeper or cross-field in that situation. His mistake was not seeing an open stick before throwing it.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:19 pm They waited too late to get Narewski in the game.
Too often the Blue Jays didn’t help their teammate in trouble. How can there be three Penn State players surrounding Szuluk and no Hopkins player nearby to help?

The coaches blew the game in the 2nd quarter. Either Narewski can play or he can’t. PM’s response to the question of what they’re going to do about FOs in the second half … “We’re going to try Matt, Matt Narewski” … almost made me want to throw my phone at the screen.

Ya think, coach? :roll:

Blue Jays never quit … have to credit the players for that. But holding back on a change in FOs when you’re losing the FO battle 11-2??? That is truly bad game management. If something isn’t working, make some adjustments.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:27 pm
Nah. Every defenseman is taught to roll-back and look back to the keeper or cross-field in that situation. His mistake was not seeing an open stick before throwing it.
yeah, but on replay it looked like he threw it before he looked backwards.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Blue Jays now have a 0.467 FO win percentage (165 out of 353).

Serious problem.

Blue Jays aren’t going to make any noise this season unless they fix that issue.

@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:35 pm
Too often the Blue Jays didn’t help their teammate in trouble. How can there be three Penn State players surrounding Szuluk and no Hopkins player nearby to help?

The coaches blew the game in the 2nd quarter. Either Narewski can play or he can’t. PM’s response to the question of what they’re going to do about FOs in the second half … “We’re going to try Matt, Matt Narewski” … almost made me want to throw my phone at the screen.

Blue Jays never quit … have to credit the players for that. But holding back on a change in FOs when you’re losing the FO battle 11-2??? That is truly bad game management. If something isn’t working, make some adjustments.

I mean, I know it sucks to lose that one, but “bad game management”? Our wings were getting trounced; its not like Dunn and Callahan were getting beat clean (Especially Dunn). Narewski lost like, what, his first 5? When PSU’s wore down, we started winning them. We lost because we got complacent after going up early and pissed away what few possessions we did get in the second and third quarters. And despite that (and quite a few mental errors), we win that game if Fracyon doesn’t get hot at the end. On to OSU.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:41 pm
I blame his teammates for that turnover. Can’t understand where they all were when Szuluk was surrounded by three Penn State players.

Too many mental lapses tonight.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Big Dog wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:41 pm
Looked to me like he turned (he didn’t toss a blind backhand pass), but he was definitely too anxious to get rid of it. Too bad, because the GB was a hell of a play.

Edited to add: I’ll have to go back and look at the play again, but one issue may have been that Marcille wasn’t available because he still may have been on the ground after contesting the GB (BTW, you’ve got to love that kid, he’s got some dog in him!). Still Szuluk composing himself and carrying a few more steps would have made a difference.
Last edited by primitiveskills on Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:35 pm The coaches blew the game in the 2nd quarter. Either Narewski can play or he can’t. PM’s response to the question of what they’re going to do about FOs in the second half … “We’re going to try Matt, Matt Narewski” … almost made me want to throw my phone at the screen.
He's on a pitch count. He can't take every draw. If he started and played the entire first half he would not have been able to help down the stretch. Dunn and Callahan and the wings needed to do a better job in the first half. This was not exactly TD Ierlan they were up against.

Marcille had only one save in the 4th quarter and both overtimes combined. Fracyon had 7 in that stretch. That's not going to get it done.

Despite all that, the Jays had multiple chances to win, just could not get it across the finish line tonight. It's hard to win on the road in this conference, especially this year. Fairly encouraged by how the defense buckled down late despite having to play a lot of it due to the faceoff disparity.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:47 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:35 pm

I mean, I know it sucks to lose that one, but “bad game management”? Our wings were getting trounced; its not like Dunn and Callahan were getting beat clean (Especially Dunn). Narewski lost like, what, his first 5? When PSU’s wore down, we started winning them. We lost because we got complacent after going up early and ticked away what few possessions we did get in the second and third quarters. And despite that (and quite a few mental errors), we win that game if Fracyon doesn’t get hot at the end. On to OSU.
They should have brought in Narewski earlier. Doesn’t mean they had to keep trotting him out there … just break the FO losing streak and change things up. Dunn was losing too many FOs cleanly.

Anyway, it’s not on one guy … coaches need to fix FOs if they want to go anywhere this season.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:50 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:35 pm The coaches blew the game in the 2nd quarter. Either Narewski can play or he can’t. PM’s response to the question of what they’re going to do about FOs in the second half … “We’re going to try Matt, Matt Narewski” … almost made me want to throw my phone at the screen.
He's on a pitch count. He can't take every draw. If he started and played the entire first half he would not have been able to help down the stretch. Dunn and Callahan and the wings needed to do a better job in the first half. This was not exactly TD Ierlan they were up against.

Marcille had only one save in the 4th quarter and both overtimes combined. Fracyon had 7 in that stretch. That's not going to get it done.

Despite all that, the Jays had multiple chances to win, just could not get it across the finish line tonight. It's hard to win on the road in this conference, especially this year. Fairly encouraged by how the defense buckled down late despite having to play a lot of it due to the faceoff disparity.
Should have just marched him out once or twice earlier in the game before the FO battle became a rout.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

Can’t hang your head after that loss. Game could have gone either way. Excellent goalie play from both teams. Think Hopkins typical stars outside of Melendez were too quiet tonight and they have to get their sh*t together at the face off dot.

Shake this one off and move on. Think they’ll see Penn State again in the future.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”