Post by faircornell »

I wonder how they determined Cornell having a #5 Strength of Schedule;
ICGrad

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by ICGrad »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:08 am
"Cornell currently ranks third in the LaxELO rankings by lacrosse reference..."

Since they reference those rankings, the LaxELO rankings have Cornell with the #5 "Strength of Record." I would imagine that that's what they're referring to, but I'm not sure if Strength of Record and Strength of Schedule are the same things. #5 is way higher than I've seen anywhere else for Cornell's Strength of Schedule.

https://lacrossereference.com/teams/a0013/

EDIT: Since the RPI ratings on the same site also have Cornell with an SoS of 11, my guess is they just read Strength of Record and assumed it meant Strength of Schedule, when it clearly means something else. Them Harvard kids aint' too bright...
Last edited by ICGrad on Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

laf has an SoS of #12,
Massey says its #16.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:39 am
faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:08 am
"Cornell currently ranks third in the LaxELO rankings by lacrosse reference..."

Since they reference those rankings, the LaxELO rankings have Cornell with the #5 "Strength of Record." I would imagine that that's what they're referring to, but I'm not sure if Strength of Record and Strength of Record are the same things. #5 is way higher than I've seen anywhere else for Cornell's Strength of Schedule.

https://lacrossereference.com/teams/a0013/

EDIT: Since the RPI ratings on the same site also have Cornell with an SoS of 11, my guess is they just read Strength of Record and assumed it meant Strength of Schedule, when it clearly means something else. Them Harvard kids aint' too bright...
Thanks!
bwparker1

Post by bwparker1 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:08 am laf has an SoS of #12,
Massey says its #16.
What does LAF stand for?
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Wow...I wish Cornell had sweet lacrosse digs like Harvard's.

I mean, I don't live in Ithaca anymore, so it's not like I'm going to games. But that looks like a nice venue for lacrosse.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Harvard looks like they ate their Wheaties this morning. I wonder if they can maintain this pace.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Someone tell the announcer that we have video. No need to broadcast like it's radio!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

bwparker1 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:07 pm
Massey says its #16.
What does LAF stand for?
laf is the founder and designer of LaxPower, the predecessor to FanLax - Larry Feldman,

they’ve put out lacrosse stats for decades,

https://laxnumbers.com/current-rankings/college

👍 👍
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Harvard's defense has done an excellent job containing Cornell. Turnovers in our offense end seemed to have given the Crimson a possession advantage that's been wearing down our defense.

Let's hope Cornell can open things up in the second half.
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

Need Long back…

Noticed no Bozzi today

The Harvard scheme has been very good

Offense so sloppy - middies in particular have been very sloppy
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Harvard was the better team on the day and much improved. Great effort by the Big Red in a challenging venue.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Congratulations to Harvard. Great game plan. We were down two shortsticks (Bozzi and Box) and Harvard exploited that. Pressed way out against our midfields, and we got almost no production from them. Harvard's shorties played great D and were excellent in transition. Other than faceoffs, Harvard was strong in the middle of the field. Harvard defense and especially goalie were outstanding, too. Piatelli had a couple off ball finishes, but Kirst was the only one capable of winning a matchup, and he had to work incredibly hard to do so. Coyle, for the first time, was completely shut down, putting even more pressure on Kirst.

A healthy Long would be a big help. We need Box and Bozzi back on midfield d and in transition, and offensive midfields have to produce far more. I would not be surprised to see some shuffling of the midfield lines.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Not a good loss. 'No other way to describe it.
Perhaps most noteworthy, the lack of offensive production was certainly not due to a lack of possessions. Without looking at stats, my guess is the Cornell won 80% of the face-offs. Plus much of the game was up and down the field.
Offense:
-Harvard slid very early and very aggressively throughout. Right from the outset I concluded we weren't going to see many successful alley dodges. What's needed is everyone's head up, rotating the ball efficiently, keeping the defense on a carousel. We were not particularly efficient doing so. And seemingly lots of TOs. Also, other than moving Kirst all over the field to get him different looks, I didn't see a lot of adjustments.
-Credit to the Harvard goalie; he played well and got a few stuffs at the goalmouth. But after scoring 3 quick goals, I think Cornell went (practically) scoreless for 40 minutes. 6 offensive middies & 3 attackmen - the middies in particular did not have a good day. 'Need more from 31 and 2. Could have used Dalton today.
*While Harvard's ride didn't create failed clears, Cornell took almost the full 20 seconds to clear for much of the game. However - they took took so long to get into their 6 0n 6 once they crossed mid-field. On many 2nd half possessions, the clock was down to 35-40 seconds until all 3 middies were on. Not good for an offense that's not generating goals.
Defense:
-The group (seemingly) played on their heels for much of the game. What do I attribute it to? Probably a different overall mindset playing with two freshman back-up shorties (though I thought Rayhill did fine). And then there's added pressure when Cornell's O isn't putting up numbers. Bottom line, a very strong close group looked compromised by the depleted ss rotation.
-Harvard's 10 goals: 2 hands free off of ss, Wallace beat on a speed dodge and a quasi-transition goal, Adler's man got 2 from a wing when he was in support of others, and 2 or 3 in transition. When all said and done, however, Cornell gives up about 10 goals/game. 8 won't doesn't do the trick.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

If you told me before the game Cornell wins 67% of the faceoffs and Ierlan has a 58% save percentage I would’ve thought we’d win comfortably. But the offense was out of synch much like against Penn State, and we were way too sloppy. Credit to Harvard for an excellent game plan, and Barnard made some key saves at critical times.

Need to regroup quickly for Marquette.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Tough loss, but congratulations to Harvard as they were definitely the better team with a game plan very similar to Penn State.

After the Penn State loss, they played 3 great games so we hope for a rebound Tuesday against a very much improved Marquette team.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bwparker1 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:07 pm
Massey says its #16.
What does LAF stand for?
Larry Feldman former founder of Laxpower and a scientist (quantum physics maybe?) who started putting the best lacrosse quantitative system together 15-20yrs ago
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Redman2

Post by Redman2 »

Without Long there is little dynamism allowing defenses to focus on Kirst. Coyle did not have his best game - errant passing and a few ill-advised shots. Can't blame Coyle for trying to make something happen.

Defense played well, agree with others that SS middies undermanned. I would have predicted more than 8 goals.

I think it comes down to Long. He requires attention from the defense which frees up Kirst and, importantly, creates space for Blake and Kelleher for outside looks they can't quite get themselves. Their outside looks then help Kirst and Long and so forth. When all healthy the offense reinforces itself; currently, it moves in fits and starts. As the intensity and competition increases the offense without Long will be an even larger liability.

On to Marquette and Army, LGR!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

There are three things that make me optimistic following the game today:

1) Harvard's game plan worked, but it would be very tough to execute by any defense on a regular basis. And tough in any game to execute.

2) It requires Cornell's offense to have an off-day, which is by no means a "given".

3) Generally, I thought that Cornell's defense looked extremely good. Harvard has proven offensive threats, and giving up ten goals (while not ideal) wasn't a bad day, considering the other dynamics of the game.

On to Marquette and Army!
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Just a disappointing game and outcome. When is it time for Long to consider bagging the 2023 season and consider seeking an extra year of eligibility? I know the logistics of that are hard and it requires taking fall semesters off. Plus real life intervenes, including having a normal college experience and job career considerations. But he's played in one game and I doubt he plays Tuesday if he didn't play yesterday in a conference game. That leaves 2 games and the post season. Just spitballing here.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”