10stone5

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

Erksa with two great plays to win it.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

masondixonlax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:24 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:18 pm Interesting explanation by Tillman aboutt he glove check.
Cringe. Though you can play the other side and claim strategy/ gamesmanship. Did not expect that from Tills
After the stick check in the Princeton game I’m not surprised.

Not the classiest move, but it will be overblown, and will overshadow some good storylines. Like a really gutsy comeback on the road from a young team, Trader’s playing through injury, Siracusa making a strong return to the lineup, and ultimately Tillman doing whatever it takes to win (and not just with the glove check - but inserting Siracusa to provide a spark, and going with the hot second midfield line in crunch time).

This is going to be one hell of a stretch run for the Terps.
Last edited by MoralTerpitude on Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

masondixonlax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:24 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:18 pm Interesting explanation by Tillman aboutt he glove check.
Cringe. Though you can play the other side and claim strategy/ gamesmanship. Did not expect that from Tills
called a stick check on a fogo not that long ago, said it was real unusual. my guess, this time there's some lax media (niche as it is) fallout and we don't see anything similar for awhile.

i would expect, however, that myers is watching for terp equipment violations like a hawk going forward.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Myers lost the game for his kids, with the offense rolling up 5 and holding the ball for 78 seconds every possession for the rest of the game. Caught up to them. Resilient comeback for the Terps.
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

The Terms show flashes of very good ball movement. The difference between 2023 and 2022 is that last year the guy caching the ball was very often in a position to do some damage immediately (shoot or make a quick dodge to a hands-free shot.) This year the guy receiving the pass is usually no where near a threatening position. When he catches the ball, he just begins a new dodge after the defense has recovered. When I rewatch the 2022 games, most of the offense was conducted within the football hash marks most of the time and therefore everyone was a threat most of the time. This year they are spread much much wider. Other than Erksa, no one can beat his man.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ruppel not so hot since the UVA game,

but, he’s your guy now.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

That’s great coaching. Knowing and using the rules to help your team win. You can bet he held it until a point it would help the most.

Incredible intelligence and competitiveness.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ftr, and this is just an educated guess... if there was a penalty to be assessed, i believe it should have been on the opening faceoff. i don't believe a ref is supposed to pull that call into the game. especially if "he didn't call for a glove check". refs (and coaches) are supposed to make these determinations and certifications pregame. and if not fixed, assessed right away.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Just own it, Tills. Don’t dissemble. Embarrassing.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Lost a lot of respect for Tillman tonight. What an absolutely pathetic move.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

fsclax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 pm The Terms show flashes of very good ball movement. The difference between 2023 and 2022 is that last year the guy caching the ball was very often in a position to do some damage immediately (shoot or make a quick dodge to a hands-free shot.) This year the guy receiving the pass is usually no where near a threatening position. When he catches the ball, he just begins a new dodge after the defense has recovered. When I rewatch the 2022 games, most of the offense was conducted within the football hash marks most of the time and therefore everyone was a threat most of the time. This year they are spread much much wider. Other than Erksa, no one can beat his man.
Last year may have been the best team in the history of lacrosse and definitely the best of the modern shot clock era.

This team lost all its scoring, it’s historically great defensive midfield, it’s all American goalie and it’s returning offensive quarterback. It’s all new and very inexperienced guys. Might be Tillman’s greatest coaching year.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:37 pm That’s great coaching. Knowing and using the rules to help your team win. You can bet he held it until a point it would help the most.

Oh please. Total douche move and you know it.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Only issue I have is Tillman dancing around the call. Own it. Could say something such as… don’t like the rule, but it’s in the rule book. My players all had the same gloves on, theirs didn’t. Saw it as an opportunity to get an advantage. My job during the game is to do everything within the rules to win the game… yadda, yadda… easy to say from here. I’m sure much more difficult in the moment. Similar to a recent high school game, don’t want to be in a position where the officials can determine the result.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

You guys are a joke with your unwritten-rule boomer bs. This forum loves nothing more than clutching its pearls. You’re worse than baseball purists.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

nyjay wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:41 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:37 pm That’s great coaching. Knowing and using the rules to help your team win. You can bet he held it until a point it would help the most.

I kind of wonder if he saved that move specifically for Nick Myers.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

I guess he wants to win to much legally.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

fsclax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 pm The Terms show flashes of very good ball movement. The difference between 2023 and 2022 is that last year the guy caching the ball was very often in a position to do some damage immediately (shoot or make a quick dodge to a hands-free shot.) This year the guy receiving the pass is usually no where near a threatening position. When he catches the ball, he just begins a new dodge after the defense has recovered. When I rewatch the 2022 games, most of the offense was conducted within the football hash marks most of the time and therefore everyone was a threat most of the time. This year they are spread much much wider. Other than Erksa, no one can beat his man.
Whittier can beat his man, and Siracusa can too but he had turnover problems early in the season. But yes, 5 of the top 6 offensive guys pose little threat to attack the goal. Kelly showed some nice development tonight by moving inside when they put the pole on him. I think he scored 1 in the scrum, missed what looked like a tap-in, and had another good look. That inside presence adds a nice dimension to the offense.

Great, patient comeback by the Terps in what looked to be a rare blowout loss. Myers can blame the loss on the glove thing, which ultimately had no effect on the score, but he blew it by slowing the game down so much and letting the Terps regroup when they were boatracing them.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:45 pm

I kind of wonder if he saved that move specifically for Nick Myers.
probably saved it for when it needed it tbh. and he needed it then.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

NYterp09 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:44 pm You guys are a joke with your unwritten-rule boomer bs. This forum loves nothing more than clutching its pearls. You’re worse than baseball purists.
you sound like a big jose canseco fan.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:40 pm
Last year may have been the best team in the history of lacrosse and definitely the best of the modern shot clock era.

This team lost all its scoring, it’s historically great defensive midfield, it’s all American goalie and it’s returning offensive quarterback. It’s all new and very inexperienced guys. Might be Tillman’s greatest coaching year.
Ya'll got creamed at home by Michigan last week, I don't think this is Tillman's greatest coaching year

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”