Conservative Ideology 2024: NOTHING BUT LIES AND FEARMONGERING

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ohmilax34

Re: Conservative Ideology Off the Rails

Post by ohmilax34 »

CU88 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:02 pm F'ing idiot

Dan Crenshaw Wants to Solve School Shootings with ‘More Guns’

"If we had a minimum of two armed guards or police officers at every single school in America, you'd probably prevent these from here on out," the congressman claimed

R's can't even trust schools to pick out books for their kids, how are they going to let schools select who is armed in each school???
Serious question here. My son's school (small public school for 3rd-5th graders, about 100 kids per grade, so 300 in the building) has one police officer at the entrance of the building. It seems both appropriate and sufficient for that building from my perspective. Maybe the Middle School and High School have or need more officers. Having officers there seems like a good thing to me. Their role is to protect the kids, not police them. What's wrong with having a couple officers at each building?

Crenshaw has struck me as a guy who's more interested in finding solutions to problems than just playing politics. I'm not saying he's perfect, nor do I think his idea would "probably prevent these from here on out", but at least he's coming up with something. And it's a heck of a lot better than arming the teachers.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:39 am

"If we had a minimum of two armed guards or police officers at every single school in America, you'd probably prevent these from here on out," the congressman claimed

R's can't even trust schools to pick out books for their kids, how are they going to let schools select who is armed in each school???
Serious question here. My son's school (small public school for 3rd-5th graders, about 100 kids per grade, so 300 in the building) has one police officer at the entrance of the building. It seems both appropriate and sufficient for that building from my perspective. Maybe the Middle School and High School have or need more officers. Having officers there seems like a good thing to me. Their role is to protect the kids, not police them. What's wrong with having a couple officers at each building?

Crenshaw has struck me as a guy who's more interested in finding solutions to problems than just playing politics. I'm not saying he's perfect, nor do I think his idea would "probably prevent these from here on out", but at least he's coming up with something. And it's a heck of a lot better than arming the teachers.
It's indeed a fair and serious question. We know for certain that one police officer present doesn't prevent these crimes (ie Parkland), nor does the arrival of a large # of police officers (ie Uvalde).

Might two? Maybe some...but clearly not all, which was Crenshaw's contention, though he used the "probably".

These shooters typically expect to die. They usually plan the attack carefully, are very heavily armed, wear body armor, so as to last long enough to do huge damage with their rapid fire, high capacity weapons.

Hardening our schools seems like a reasonable idea, but as a solution it's pretty obviously insufficient....indeed, arguably a distraction. Likely an intentional distraction. (Yes from Crenshaw too)

And as you note, simply providing funding for two police officers at every school is NOT what the GOP, including Crenshaw, has actually proposed...they're proposing to arm teachers...while at the state level removing all restrictions on gun access.

And if not inside the school, do we need officers on the playground, playing fields, pre-schools, daycare, as well?

And at every church, synagogue, mosque? grocery store, big box store, etc, etc...will this actually stop committed shooters? Las Vegas?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:05 am

It's indeed a fair and serious question. We know for certain that one police officer present doesn't prevent these crimes (ie Parkland), nor does the arrival of a large # of police officers (ie Uvalde).

Might two? Maybe some...but clearly not all, which was Crenshaw's contention, though he used the "probably".

These shooters typically expect to die. They usually plan the attack carefully, are very heavily armed, wear body armor, so as to last long enough to do huge damage with their rapid fire, high capacity weapons.

Hardening our schools seems like a reasonable idea, but as a solution it's pretty obviously insufficient....indeed, arguably a distraction. Likely an intentional distraction. (Yes from Crenshaw too)

And as you note, simply providing funding for two police officers at every school is NOT what the GOP, including Crenshaw, has actually proposed...they're proposing to arm teachers...while at the state level removing all restrictions on gun access.

And if not inside the school, do we need officers on the playground, playing fields, pre-schools, daycare, as well?

And at every church, synagogue, mosque? grocery store, big box store, etc, etc...will this actually stop committed shooters? Las Vegas?
Thank you for the response.

Do you mean it's a distraction from the problem actually being the guns and most (all) of these politicians receiving money from the gun lobby?

With any solution, whether it's gun control or more officers in the school building, an important question is "how can we implement this?" Putting aside the effectiveness of either solution as well as the other consequences of either solution, the "how" for adding officers to schools seems simpler than gun control.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Heard this from an architect friend over the weekend.

New trend in school construction. Only use skylight and transom windows. No more big windows.

Man...
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:37 am

Do you mean it's a distraction from the problem actually being the guns and most (all) of these politicians receiving money from the gun lobby?

With any solution, whether it's gun control or more officers in the school building, an important question is "how can we implement this?" Putting aside the effectiveness of either solution as well as the other consequences of either solution, the "how" for adding officers to schools seems simpler than gun control.
Yes, an intentional distraction from the more serious problem of doing actual, common sense gun control.

I'm fine with increasing # of police, but I simply don't see it being effective. Basically none of these shooters have been stopped by the on-premise guards, when they were around. Not that it's impossible, but the shooters would be very well armed...are we really going to want police officers in schools walking around in body armor and with AR-15's at the ready?

Or do we want to remove AR-!5's and high capacity guns generally from circulation, outside of registered gun ranges? do we want background checks and red flag laws to separate the nut jobs from guns?

Or do we want to keep upping the ante on firepower and easy gun access?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:55 am Heard this from an architect friend over the weekend.

New trend in school construction. Only use skylight and transom windows. No more big windows.

Man...
Again...awful answer.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:13 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:37 am

Yes, an intentional distraction from the more serious problem of doing actual, common sense gun control.

I'm fine with increasing # of police, but I simply don't see it being effective. Basically none of these shooters have been stopped by the on-premise guards, when they were around. Not that it's impossible, but the shooters would be very well armed...are we really going to want police officers in schools walking around in body armor and with AR-15's at the ready?

Or do we want to remove AR-!5's and high capacity guns generally from circulation, outside of registered gun ranges? do we want background checks and red flag laws to separate the nut jobs from guns?

Or do we want to keep upping the ante on firepower and easy gun access?
Thanks again!
a fan

Post by a fan »

I think folks would have taken him more seriously if A. He put this in a bill when Trump was in office, and it would actually pass, and B. He proposed that the Federal Government pay for it.

Schools can't afford to pay for more security. I'd imagine you know that.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:45 pm

I think folks would have taken him more seriously if A. He put this in a bill when Trump was in office, and it would actually pass, and B. He proposed that the Federal Government pay for it.

Schools can't afford to pay for more security. I'd imagine you know that.
Good points! I appreciate when the conversation is more than just a clickbait headline and you and MD provided that. Thanks!
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Is there a bigger moron than this guy?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1643602109785427968

Every time he opens his mouth he says or discloses something that is grossly anti-democratic, and he doesn't appear to have the education, knowledge and good sense to even know it. "I got a call from two county attorneys threatening retaliatory prosecutions of the Bidens for something, anything...." This is the America all you Republicans have bestowed on the rest of us. Thanks.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Tennessee, laboratory of the Reichstag:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/05/opin ... ction.html

"Yesterday the eyes of the country were on the indictment of a former president, along with the all too real possibility that political or public chaos would erupt as a result. Here in Tennessee, we were watching a different kind of chaos unfold as our state government doubled down on its love affair with guns, even in the immediate aftermath of a horrific school shooting. I wish I could tell you that guns were the worst of it.

Last Thursday, in the wake of the shooting, peaceful protesters at the Tennessee State Capitol rallied for gun reform. Activists waved signs in the statehouse gallery, and Representatives Justin Jones, Gloria Johnson and Justin J. Pearson, all Democrats, led them in chants from the House floor during breaks. Between bills, the lawmakers also approached the podium to speak. They did not wait to be formally recognized.

On Monday, statehouse Republicans stripped all three of their committee memberships and deactivated their ID badges. The Democrats “did knowingly and intentionally bring disorder and dishonor to the House of Representatives,” the formal resolutions against them read. Tomorrow, the House will vote on whether to expel the three lawmakers for talking out of turn.

Expulsion is extremely rare in Tennessee history. As the Politico reporter Natalie Allison pointed out on Twitter, the Tennessee House didn’t even vote to expel a Republican legislator who had been accused of sexually assaulting three teenage girls.

The resolutions against Mr. Jones, Ms. Johnson and Mr. Pearson were filed against a backdrop that highlights the absurdity of the actions Republicans have taken against them.

On Monday at 10:13 a.m., one week to the minute after a shooter armed with military-style weapons entered the church-affiliated Covenant School and murdered three children and three adults, more than 7,000 Nashville students staged a walkout to demand gun reform. It was a sight to behold: Vanderbilt University students marching down one street, Belmont University students marching down another, all of them joining a large crowd of high school and college students from around town. They were determined to speak as one voice directly to their government — to the only people with any power to reduce the risks they take just by going to class.

No place in this firearm-besotted country is safe from gun violence, but Tennessee students are at particular risk, and not just in school. They live in a state with some of the nation’s most permissive gun laws, as well as the highest rate of gun theft — and perhaps unsurprisingly, one of the highest rates of gun deaths.

The guns that killed the children and staff members at Covenant last week were all purchased legally, despite the fact that the shooter was being treated for an emotional disorder. If Tennessee had enacted a red-flag law before now, it’s fair to believe that six deeply mourned members of the Covenant community would still be alive. Countless others would be, too.

Until yesterday, when the judiciary committee of the State Senate voted to postpone all gun-related legislation — including a red-flag law jointly proposed by Senator Jeff Yarbro and House member Caleb Hemmer, both Democrats — the Tennessee General Assembly showed every sign of turning Nashville’s school shooting into an opportunity to weaken gun safety in the state even further.

The shamelessness on display was breathtaking. “If there is a firearm out there that you’re comfortable being shot with, please show me which one it is,” a Republican state representative said to student protesters. Presumably he meant that banning assault-style guns wouldn’t prevent students from being shot with other kinds of guns, but that’s not much of an argument coming from a pro-gun legislator who opposes red-flag laws.

These repeated demonstrations for gun safety legislation were the context in which the Republican supermajority of the Tennessee House moved to expel Mr. Jones, Ms. Johnson and Mr. Pearson from the statehouse. But the three Democrats had more than public sentiment on their side. They had more, even, than moral authority on their side. They also had a practical reason for flouting chamber rules: “Our mics were cut off throughout the week whenever we tried to bring up the issue of gun violence,” Mr. Jones told WKRN.

Ms. Johnson is a retired teacher and veteran legislator who represents parts of Knox County in East Tennessee, but the two men are new to the General Assembly. In a special election this year to replace a House member who died in October, Memphis voters elected Mr. Pearson in a landslide. Mr. Jones represents a district in Nashville. After winning the Democratic primary, he ran unopposed in the November election.

Both men are skilled community organizers. Mr. Pearson led the successful effort to stop the Byhalia Connection Pipeline from running through a historic Black neighborhood in Memphis. Mr. Jones led the successful effort to have a bust of the Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest removed from the State Capitol.

Disenfranchisement of liberal voters is nothing new in the state of Tennessee, but what the G.O.P is trying to do to these Democrats goes well beyond disenfranchisement. To remove legitimately elected officials from the chamber to which voters sent them — and to do so precisely because those officials were representing the wishes of voters — is nothing short of authoritarianism. And the Republican supermajority in the Tennessee General Assembly has the votes to do it.

Still, I can’t help but hope that Tennesseans will protest the precedent their leaders are about to establish. I still have hope that voters, even Republican voters, will contact their legislators today, in time to make at least some of them stop and reconsider what they are poised to do.

What Tennessee Republicans may think of Mr. Jones, Ms. Johnson and Mr. Pearson is far less important than what Tennessee Republicans may think about American democracy. Because democracy does not exist in a state where officials can be sent home for nothing more than voicing the opinions of voters who are pounding on the statehouse door, demanding to be heard.

In fundamental ways, none of this is surprising. Twenty-first-century Republicans are always demonstrating a truth that the Roman historian Tacitus understood back in the first century: It is part of human nature to hate someone you have hurt. In refusing to expand Medicaid, in attempting to replace public schools with private charters, in disenfranchising Democratic voters, in persecuting L.G.B.T.Q. citizens and demonizing school librarians, in stripping bodily autonomy from Tennessee women and in failing to protect us all from gunfire, they are telling us exactly how they feel about the people they represent.

My real hope lies in people like Justin J. Pearson, Gloria Johnson and Justin Jones. Whatever happens to them at the hands of their fellow legislators tomorrow, we have not heard the last from them. Of that I have absolute confidence. The shining example of the great John Lewis, who cut his own teeth opposing injustice in Nashville, taught them how to cause “good trouble.” Clearly, they have learned from the master."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Justin J. Pearson, Gloria Johnson and Justin Jones

There was a time when only right wing delusionals claimed to be victims of censorship. Ironic, ain't it?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Meanwhile, a Republicans pol from Tennessee who sexually abused teen girls remains in office in that state. Why am I not surprised as these perverse hypocrites.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

And the problem is transgenders and gays ruining the nation?

Baltimore’s Catholic Church sexually abused at least 600 children over 60 years, Maryland AG says

Hardly a new or isolated problem.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:22 am And the problem is transgenders and gays ruining the nation?

Baltimore’s Catholic Church sexually abused at least 600 children over 60 years, Maryland AG says

Curious....why post this in a political thread?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:36 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:22 am And the problem is transgenders and gays ruining the nation?

Just guessing here, but maybe because Republicans — whatever that means now — have made trans-fear and their strange phobias into the signal political issues of the day. But you knew that.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:45 am

Just guessing here, but maybe because Republicans — whatever that means now — have made trans-fear and their strange phobias into the signal political issues of the day. But you knew that.
That is such a bs cop out. The catholic church stands on its own, to conflate the two is irresponsible. I could just as easily argue, many believe and have validly argued that Jesus is a liberal, therefore all Christians are liberal, therefore this is liberal/democrat issue. Damn sicko Liberal Democrats...see how that works.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:55 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:45 am

That is such a bs cop out. The catholic church stands on its own, to conflate the two is irresponsible. I could just as easily argue, many believe and have validly argued that Jesus is a liberal, therefore all Christians are liberal, therefore this is liberal/democrat issue. Damn sicko Liberal Democrats...see how that works.
I guess I don't understand how my explanation for ardilla secreta's having posted here is a "bs cop out." He says, as a preface to an article about the totally unsurprising report on the Catholic Church again shuffling around its cohort of pedophiles and abusers, "and the problem is transgenders and gays ruining the nation?" Should I be tracking the laws and proposed legislation aimed at punishing the Catholic Church for this decades' long betrayal of its congregants? Because I am not seeing them. Instead:

https://rollcall.com/2023/03/31/republi ... sters-say/

"The Republican preoccupation with transgender issues, which has resulted in hundreds of bills at the state and federal levels, may excite the party’s evangelical base. But analysts say all that enthusiasm for restricting the rights and health care of about 0.6 percent of Americans risks putting off swing voters.

Pollsters and strategists from both parties largely agree: Focusing on transgender issues could help Republicans in the general election if independent voters see the GOP as defending commonsense school policies from “woke” gender ideology run amok. Or it could end up hurting Republicans if voters think they’re just picking on a small, misunderstood set of individuals simply trying to live their lives.

“If you’re talking about suburban parents who are concerned about what’s going on in their public schools, this is an area where I think that Republicans have a big opportunity,” said Dan Judy, a Republican pollster at North Star Opinion Research. “The tone of how this is handled is extremely important because the vast majority of people, regardless of their views on trans issues, don’t want to treat people, especially children, cruelly.”

“It’s clear that they think it’s a great idea,” said Ben Lazarus, a Democratic pollster at TargetSmart. “They feel like it can help them win.”

YA, this is your team, which you appear to stick with through thick, thin, and soulless bigotry. Your party picks on the vulnerable, generates fear through disinformation and lying. Ardilla secreta seems to be asking a question here, which you don't much like.

This will help you keep up: https://www.aclu.org/legislative-attack ... btq-rights
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Because conservatives are chasing the wrong car. Kind of obvious, isn’t it?
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:13 am
ggait wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:55 am Heard this from an architect friend over the weekend.

Man...
Again...awful answer.
Agreed. My HS (Loch Raven in Baltimore Co.) had fewer windows than the county jail. Instead of daydreaming about the nice weather outside we just had naughty thoughts about our female classmates.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx

Return to “POLITICS”