D1 Mens Lacrosse
eldeststatesman

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by eldeststatesman »

Excited to watch the Statesman compete this weekend ! HIP HIP
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

It hasn't been pretty, but Hobart has recaptured the lead at the half.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Nice to see the big fella(#99) have a day...we're gonna need more of that production going forward. As Ted said in the podcast, need to go 2-3 to get to tourney & then see what happens!
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

I feel like Ted is downplaying High Point. They have a good team, and Hunter Vines punished the high school teams in North Carolina for years.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

PDSlax wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:59 pm I feel like Ted is downplaying High Point. They have a good team, and Hunter Vines punished the high school teams in North Carolina for years.
I don't think Ted was "downplaying" HPU. All he was saying was we've never played them in a regular season game. Hobart did scrimmage them preseason last yer and lost. HPU is a very high scoring team who will give our D fits.
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

It was really fun to see Hobart dominate another team, and I hope the boys can carry that confidence through the rest of the season.

Is anyone else planning to head to High Point?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:47 pm New Podcast

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-60/138

Coach talks about mistakes and lack of spark v Cuse. The more interesting part is him speak about the upcoming game v St. Bonnies. Worth a listen. Makes me think Bart will come out cocky/flat verses a team they should beat. Remember Mike Tyson's statement about getting punched in the mouth.
Kudos OBM on calling the mood in the first quarter and a half. Somehow the Bonnie's dictated pace. It was great to see us turn it around, and I' loved the offensive production and defensive shutdown in the second half. It seemed to shift when Shea figured out the FO. But we still haven't played a 60 minute game. There is much to work on. We won't know where we stand in the league for a long time.
For today, it was great to see Barthelme use his size so well. And it was great to see Ward out there. He's got incredible hands, and I have to think we could use him inside a bit more often.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

The 1st A10 win, congrats. I hate to say it, but the team started exactly the way I expected. It took them over 20 minutes to get their collective heads out of their ass. Once they did, it was the lacrosse we've been hoping to see all season. It is great to see Barthelme really playing to his full potential (maybe he has an even higher level,. we can hope). As well as Sam Ward making things look easy on his part. The defense stopped doing unnecessary early slides and SBU stopped scoring. Just what FMU has been correctly preaching. Once again Wilson was shaky early in goal. Next week against High Point, that can't happen. They move the ball very well and have 5 excellent shooters. I still think Holtby (who finally was in goal for the last 4 minutes) is our best option for the remainder of the season. No Herlihy or Bach. Not sure if they injured again, or if Coach Raymond was holding them out to get healthier for the remainder of the season. Congrats to Max Snellenburg, Mamadou Meite, and Jake Sampson on their 1st career goals!! (Jersey #s 10, 11 and 12 btw) Glad the reserves got to see the field. We really need to do this earlier in the season as it will pay benefits when we need it most later in the season (read NOW). Ronnie's was buzzing this afternoon I am sure. Just 4 more games in theregular season left. It gets harder from hear. Keep it going Statesmen!!!
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

What a great league the A10 is for us. We'll see how we match up next week, but I love that the UMass/High Point, Richmond/St Joes games were so close. It isn't just that we've got our work cut out for us. So do all of the other teams. St. Bonnies has some work to do, but they can be in the mix soon enough.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:43 pm What a great league the A10 is for us. We'll see how we match up next week, but I love that the UMass/High Point, Richmond/St Joes games were so close. It isn't just that we've got our work cut out for us. So do all of the other teams. St. Bonnies has some work to do, but they can be in the mix soon enough.
I think having Bach and Herlihy in against the better A10 teams is so crucial. It becomes progressively harder to beat your matchup and those two guys are good initiators out of the box. You can really see Troy is comfortable and becoming really good at posting up and making smart reads… I found early in his career he’d just get doubled and knocked over. He will be a key piece down the stretch
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

BigHoss wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:23 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:43 pm What a great league the A10 is for us. We'll see how we match up next week, but I love that the UMass/High Point, Richmond/St Joes games were so close. It isn't just that we've got our work cut out for us. So do all of the other teams. St. Bonnies has some work to do, but they can be in the mix soon enough.
I think having Bach and Herlihy in against the better A10 teams is so crucial. It becomes progressively harder to beat your matchup and those two guys are good initiators out of the box. You can really see Troy is comfortable and becoming really good at posting up and making smart reads… I found early in his career he’d just get doubled and knocked over. He will be a key piece down the stretch
Yes, for sure. Chad has also shown his scoring potential, especially when he is aggressive. I also think Wimer is an underrated asset on D, even though it isn't his natural position. And though they were just getting back into it, I thought Horton and Duby had some smart plays against St. Bonnies. Hoping for week of solid healing up, esp. for Datilllas and Shea. Elis is coming along, but it sure is good to have Holtby (and Loukas) as back-up. Elis might be a better stopper, but I like Holtby's decision making. You can tell Elis is still getting his feet under him.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

PDSlax wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:59 pm I feel like Ted is downplaying High Point. They have a good team, and Hunter Vines punished the high school teams in North Carolina for years.
Hunter is a decent player with good speed, but the other NC kid, Rizzo, and Ippolito are more of a concern, imho. Ippolito especially, given his size. I'm looking forward to this game as it appears we matchup well with them--and given their overall team speed/quickness HPU probably feels the same. The weather looks to be cool and rainy so no home field "heat" advantage!
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Homecoming game for Shea. I expect he will be 65+%
Would guess he faced Hoben in HS so that will be interesting
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Good news for us, the weather won't be an advantage! Cold, rainy and high 40s in High Point on Sat. Bad news, I'm a fair weather fan...will stay home an watch golf!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Interesting little stat. HPU has 4 players with 10 or more assists. We have just 1. Our defense has struggled with teams that move the ball well this season. When Bart does share the rock, we do a lot better. Hope coach Fisher has something to slow down HPU's O. I think FFG said this game could be a track meet. Not good for our goalies. Do we see Holtby getting some real time this week? Or Is Sotiropoulos getting the nod. Of course the coaches can continue Wilson's baptism by fire. It's crunch time gentlemen. Time to see what we all hope you can do.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Having watched HPU play once in person, there quickness & team speed was obvious immediately. If our defense is disciplined(tall order), I like our chances. If we ball watch and telegraph slides, we'll have problems.. On the bright side, I believe we'll score goals even in the poor weather.
cedarlax

Post by cedarlax »

Biggest game of the year so far. Essentially for both teams, win and you’re in the A10 tourney where anything can happen.
Watched the full HPU UNC game and parts of HPU Umass. HPU gets praise for the attack production but we matchup pretty well. Ippolito is a big physical dodger but Christiansen should handle him just fine. Mayea is highly skilled but mainly does damage off ball and from mid range. Synnot can handle VanOverbeke. The worry is the midfield, they are athletic and get downhill. SSDM has never been a strength for Hobart. HPU has some athletes on defense but they tend to get lost later in possessions. Not having Herlihy back hurts. Bach and Simas will be relied upon heavily as party starters. That could open up Rosa on the interior and gives Detellas / Considine better opportunities. Let’s hope we see the offensive personnel tinkering pay off and Shea tilt the field in his home state.
Hip Hip

Cedarlax😎
cedarlax

Post by cedarlax »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:31 pm Having watched HPU play once in person, there quickness & team speed was obvious immediately. If our defense is disciplined(tall order), I like our chances. If we ball watch and telegraph slides, we'll have problems.. On the bright side, I believe we'll score goals even in the poor weather.
Agreed, a track meet could be trouble. Winning face offs with Shea and being strategic on O seems to be the success recipe. Although easier said than done!

Cedarlax😎
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

Heard there was some flooding in the Geneva area last night from a torrential down pour. Love the adversity that this gives our school and program. Curious to see what league play looks like for all teams - each conference kind of creates thier own identity - A10 being new, means these games wont always go as you'd "expect" them . Conference play is always a dog fight.

Great to get some healthy players back in the line up, and hoping for safe / smooth travel for the team in the coming days. No reason we cant play our best lacrosse this weekend. We have built up some good momentum the past few weeks - we should expect to have another strong showing from local alums & the tailgatesmen.

Excited to watch the men compete!
Hip Hip
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

A "Frenemy" (sorry LB ;) ) pointed out that Hunter Vines is HPUs very fast initiator. Not sure who on SSDM/D is our best speed cover guy. Whomever it is, they'll need to have intelligent slides to back them up. 1st air travel for the team in a while. Hope the airlines keep their gear together. Airline travel is a crapshoot these days.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”