Live Game Action

D1 Womens Lacrosse
hmmm

Re: Live Game Action

Post by hmmm »

njbill wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:27 pm Per your link:

"Video reviews will be allowed in the following scenarios:

To determine whether the whole ball crossed the goal line. This review would be at the request and discretion of the head official, head coach or any player on the field of play at the time of the shot."

How good (i.e., how conclusive) was the video replay?

Was there no request? Didn't see the game, but from the description, it's hard to believe someone with JHU wouldn't have made a request.

Does this somewhat poorly worded rule mean that if a head coach or player makes a request, the head official has the discretion not to review the play? Is that what happened here?
Was at the game and Hopkins coach had a discussion with the refs during the TV timeout after the goal. Pointed to the stadium board showing the replay which the refs watched and it was obvious the ball didn't go in. No idea why the refs didn't review it at that point. Received a ton of texts from friends(not Hop parents) saying that it definitely wasn't a goal and that the announcers said the same. Watched a lot of games this year and don't recall anything being reviewed all year. Not sure what the purpose of passing the rule was if it's not going to be used.
Bart

Post by Bart »

hmmm wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:41 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:04 pm
Brownlax wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:10 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:14 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:09 pm nice wlaxphan20!
:lol:

I think Maryland just got a huge gift to tie it up 11-11
No goal - ball hit double pipes
That’s what I saw too
NCAA approved instant replay this year for women's lacrosse. Checking to see if the whole ball crossed the goal line is one of the reviewable plays. Anyone have any idea why that play wasn't reviewed? It clearly wasn't a goal. It was a huge play. Hop was up 11-10. Would have been Hop ball up a goal. Instead it's tied and MD scores 2 more after.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/7/21/med ... rosse.aspx
As per your link: "Conferences can apply for a waiver to use the experimental rule in league games only."

Is it even know if the Big10 applied for the waiver?

The article goes on to say that a video replay can be intitiated: "To determine whether the whole ball crossed the goal line. This review would be at the request and discretion of the head official, head coach or any player on the field of play at the time of the shot."

This is from the NC$$'s rational for the rule: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... alRule.pdf

(d) is the scenario we are talking about;

"To review a goal ruling for parts (d.) and (e.) above, video review must be requested following the
pocket-depth stick check on the goal-scorer's stick and prior to the administration of the draw or
possession awarded at the center. For a goal scored during sudden-victory overtime, a request for
video review must be made immediately following the pocket-depth stick check."

"If there is a team requested timeout, media timeout, injury, or other event that causes a delay
during the time period following a goal ruling, no-goal ruling, or undetected goal, the head official
will check in with coaches from both teams at the start of the delay and any team requested video
review must be requested during that check in."

All of this would suggest that the Big10 did not apply for the waiver? I could not find definitive proof of what conferenced did and did not.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Bart wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:34 am

That’s what I saw too
NCAA approved instant replay this year for women's lacrosse. Checking to see if the whole ball crossed the goal line is one of the reviewable plays. Anyone have any idea why that play wasn't reviewed? It clearly wasn't a goal. It was a huge play. Hop was up 11-10. Would have been Hop ball up a goal. Instead it's tied and MD scores 2 more after.

As per your link: "Conferences can apply for a waiver to use the experimental rule in league games only."

Is it even know if the Big10 applied for the waiver?

The article goes on to say that a video replay can be intitiated: "To determine whether the whole ball crossed the goal line. This review would be at the request and discretion of the head official, head coach or any player on the field of play at the time of the shot."

This is from the NC$$'s rational for the rule: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... alRule.pdf

(d) is the scenario we are talking about;

"To review a goal ruling for parts (d.) and (e.) above, video review must be requested following the
pocket-depth stick check on the goal-scorer's stick and prior to the administration of the draw or
possession awarded at the center. For a goal scored during sudden-victory overtime, a request for
video review must be made immediately following the pocket-depth stick check."

"If there is a team requested timeout, media timeout, injury, or other event that causes a delay
during the time period following a goal ruling, no-goal ruling, or undetected goal, the head official
will check in with coaches from both teams at the start of the delay and any team requested video
review must be requested during that check in."

All of this would suggest that the Big10 did not apply for the waiver? I could not find definitive proof of what conferenced did and did not.
I heard that Big10 did not opt to use it this year.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

If I heard correctly in previous broadcasts, I believe both coaches must agree to implement review prior to the game as the rule is in 'experimental' stage?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Unless there is some other applicable language elsewhere, the rule is poorly written. I don’t see anything that gives the coaches the right to agree or not agree before a game whether to use replay.

The waiver language also doesn’t seem to be applicable. It allows leagues to apply for a waiver so that the replay rule would only apply in league games. Even if the Big 10 has applied for and received a waiver, the waiver would not apply to a conference game between two Big 10 teams, but only to a game between a Big 10 team and a non-conference team.

I have seen one or two replays, but not many more than that. I’ve been wondering why they haven’t been more replay reviews.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

You’d think that after UVA men technically lost to UMD men in the semi’s but advanced to win the championship on a completely obvious non goal that bounced out to midfield the sport would be more careful. After that total debacle it’s important to replay in the crease as well.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

hmmm wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:34 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:27 pm Per your link:

"Video reviews will be allowed in the following scenarios:

To determine whether the whole ball crossed the goal line. This review would be at the request and discretion of the head official, head coach or any player on the field of play at the time of the shot."

How good (i.e., how conclusive) was the video replay?

Was there no request? Didn't see the game, but from the description, it's hard to believe someone with JHU wouldn't have made a request.

Does this somewhat poorly worded rule mean that if a head coach or player makes a request, the head official has the discretion not to review the play? Is that what happened here?
Was at the game and Hopkins coach had a discussion with the refs during the TV timeout after the goal. Pointed to the stadium board showing the replay which the refs watched and it was obvious the ball didn't go in. No idea why the refs didn't review it at that point. Received a ton of texts from friends(not Hop parents) saying that it definitely wasn't a goal and that the announcers said the same. Watched a lot of games this year and don't recall anything being reviewed all year. Not sure what the purpose of passing the rule was if it's not going to be used.
I have witnessed the review process this year ,I believe it was used during a Cuse game at the dome. I believe the coach has to request a review. I had the luxury of watching the replay which showed two pipes being struck but the ball never crossing the goal line.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

That’s what I saw too

The call that gave Marilyn the 8 m shot to tie. The game was a horrible call the Hopkins defender got clean stick and knock the ball out of the Maryland attackers stick and got the ball back to a goalie and it was called a foul terrible call that changed the game, V8 meter goal tied it up.
totc

Post by totc »

Riddle me this: how does one of the richest sports conferences in terms of revenue not be able to outfit all seven of its women's lacrosse teams with VAR technology? Or at least a couple of GoPros?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:37 am

That’s what I saw too

The call that gave Marilyn the 8 m shot to tie. The game was a horrible call the Hopkins defender got clean stick and knock the ball out of the Maryland attackers stick and got the ball back to a goalie and it was called a foul terrible call that changed the game, V8 meter goal tied it up.
Yes, it looked like a good clean check to me too. Away from the sphere; not across the body; controlled. Hopkins ball with the lead. Instead, Ahearn rattles the post and crossbar, and she urges the ref to call the goal. I'm pretty sure the ball never completely crosses the line.
Carolinagrad

Post by Carolinagrad »

The ball never crossed the goal line. That was not a goal.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Carolinagrad wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:22 am The ball never crossed the goal line. That was not a goal.
https://twitter.com/unleashedwlax/statu ... 0493452301
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

This one was the worst. Uva moved on to an asterisk title on this one.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinBoilard ... vinBoilard

Umd beat ND in regulation this year ND in the crease violation before ball crossing line no call. Not even close call.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

BC 2 - ND 0 after 1st quarter. 1st time all season that ND has been held scoreless in 1st q all season.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:28 pm BC 2 - ND 0 after 1st quarter. 1st time all season that ND has been held scoreless in 1st q all season.
BC 6 -ND 5 at the half. Dolce with 9 saves so far fir the Eagles.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Elle Clevenger is back for Maryland today and has tied the program record for assists in a game (7) in just three quarters.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

ND 10 - BC 7 in the 4th.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:46 pm ND 10 - BC 7 in the 4th.
BC was down 11-7 and comes back to win 12-11.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

jff97 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:45 pm Elle Clevenger is back for Maryland today and has tied the program record for assists in a game (7) in just three quarters.
And she ended up breaking the record with an 8th assist late in the fourth quarter in an 18-7 Maryland win.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:19 pm
Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:46 pm ND 10 - BC 7 in the 4th.
BC was down 11-7 and comes back to win 12-11.
Would like to see a different angle on the backup before the last goal.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”