Syracuse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Syracuse

Post by DMac »

Oh good, yes, those were Stony Brook girls only pre game bears.
Puttin' 'em in their welcome to the Dome gift bags, I guess.
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

Laxallday wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:36 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:05 pm Syracuse Number 1? Is this largely due to Gait's recruits? It seems he recently turned things around on the men's side in recruiting in a big way.
How about we give them both credit. Yes a number of the recruits were Gary's, but you didn't see a mass exodus when he left and Kayla seems to have put her stamp on the Team. Cuse deserves to be #1 until somebody knocks them off the pedestal.
Gary had all the talent in the world and never got it done . More talent than ND & Duke combined. I hope KT gets a championship.
I doubt Gary is getting one with his men’s team either .
njbill

Post by njbill »

Agree. Never was a fan. Always underperformed. Team was undisciplined. Kayla has his players playing better already.
DMac

Post by DMac »

madlaxer59 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:30 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:05 pm Syracuse Number 1? Is this largely due to Gait's recruits? It seems he recently turned things around on the men's side in recruiting in a big way.
How about we give them both credit. Yes a number of the recruits were Gary's, but you didn't see a mass exodus when he left and Kayla seems to have put her stamp on the Team. Cuse deserves to be #1 until somebody knocks them off the pedestal.
Gary had all the talent in the world and never got it done . More talent than ND & Duke combined. I hope KT gets a championship.
Right, he never got it done.
Couple of questions, what kind of shape was Syracuse wlax in when took over the helm?
What kind of shape was it in when he left?
Not getting it done is getting to the National Championship game a couple times (does
he win one if Maryland can't play stall ball to win it). Not getting it done is recruiting some
mighty darn good players and making Cuse a place where a whole lot of good players want to
come to play (see the players on the field today). Not getting it done like Dan Marino, neither
of them much good at all.
Nope, he won't "get it done" withe the mlaxers this years either. What he has gotten done in
a real short period of time is put a team out there that looks a whole lot more like what Syracuse
lacrosse looked like when they played the game the way you should, not like the load of crap of
hog ball and choking the offense we've seen the last few years. How's the recruiting looking for the
mlaxers (hint, pretty good). Nope, he's not getting it done. You winning the top performer award at
your place of occupation annually or you just not getting it done either?
Gary rocked the wlax world and made it a much better game, a game that many more girls want to
play....but he didn't get it done. GMAFB.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Again, I don't think this can be the test for coaching success, because then the air is tooooo rarified. Gary took over from Lisa Miller when she went to Harvard (right?), and built a good program into a powerhouse that started to attract the very talent that you see now, that you saw with Alyssa Murray and Michelle Tumolo. "More talent than ND and Duke combined." OK, and did better than either of those programs. Went to the weekend, to the final, but didn't get over the hump. And the teams his teams lost to were very good indeed -- BC, a team of destiny it seems in 2021; a very good Maryland team in 2014, with two eventual Tewaarton winners, one of whom may be the greatest ever to play (to say nothing of Douty, Mercer, Hadnagy, McPartland, Brooke Griffin); and the odious stall-ball team from Northwestern in 2012.

Not really arguing; just lending a different perspective I hope.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:10 pm
Again, I don't think this can be the test for coaching success, because then the air is tooooo rarified. Gary took over from Lisa Miller when she went to Harvard (right?), and built a good program into a powerhouse that started to attract the very talent that you see now, that you saw with Alyssa Murray and Michelle Tumolo. "More talent than ND and Duke combined." OK, and did better than either of those programs. Went to the weekend, to the final, but didn't get over the hump. And the teams his teams lost to were very good indeed -- BC, a team of destiny it seems in 2021; a very good Maryland team in 2014, with two eventual Tewaarton winners, one of whom may be the greatest ever to play (to say nothing of Douty, Mercer, Hadnagy, McPartland, Brooke Griffin); and the odious stall-ball team from Northwestern in 2012.

Gary absolutely took Syracuse to another level.. He inspired and mentored one of the all time greats who then took the baton from him. I blame some of the lack of discipline (especially defensively, on former staff). Defeilice (sp) was an upgrade and a better balance to what GG brought to the table-imo. I would also be really curious in a deep dive into what team has had the highest number of injured starters over the last 5-6 years. SU has to be up there.

Not many coaches "get it done" if the standard is a Nat Championship. So many factors have to come together and
a little luck has to be on your side Liza Kelly's praises are sung here- for good reason -and she may never "get it done". Shelly Klaes is also an excellent coach and has only "gotten it done" once, so far.

As for SU men's team, the jury is out but they certainly have some real good, fun to watch talent on that field and are on a positive trajectory.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The never got it done post is an ONW level post.
Never got it done is not synonymous with never
won a National Championship. It's a minor league
level attempt at a cheap shot.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:47 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:10 pm

Gary absolutely took Syracuse to another level.. He inspired and mentored one of the all time greats who then took the baton from him. I blame some of the lack of discipline (especially defensively, on former staff). Defeilice (sp) was an upgrade and a better balance to what GG brought to the table-imo. I would also be really curious in a deep dive into what team has had the highest number of injured starters over the last 5-6 years. SU has to be up there.

Not many coaches "get it done" if the standard is a Nat Championship. So many factors have to come together and
a little luck has to be on your side Liza Kelly's praises are sung here- for good reason -and she may never "get it done". Shelly Klaes is also an excellent coach and has only "gotten it done" once, so far.

As for SU men's team, the jury is out but they certainly have some real good, fun to watch talent on that field and are on a positive trajectory.
Not to mention he took the entire sport to another level. The developments he made in the sticks he designed for deBeer, Under Armour, and now GAIT have revolutionized how the game is played. Girls can do things with sticks today that they never would have been able to do with the tennis rackets of the 90s and very early 2000s.

Doesn’t have much to do with Cuse specifically, but his legacy on the game goes beyond just one school.
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:40 pm The never got it done post is an ONW level post.
Don’t ever compare me to that idiot.
Sorry didn’t realize some coaches were above criticism. He is a very good coach in that he knows more about the game than anyone and is extremely creative. He was the first coach to make an offer to my D. However, with all the years of talent he has worked with it has to be deflating he never won. I don’t care what teams they played against. When other teams with talented players year after year don’t “get it done” their coaches get criticized. I guess GG is above criticism. I hope KT gets it done.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Your comment was worthy of on an ONW comparison, had you said he never won a National Championship it's doubtful you would've been met with reaction you got....by many. Gary Gait and never got it done don't belong in the same sentence when it comes to lacrosse, and no, there are no coaches above criticism (by all the armchair critics).
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:12 am Your comment was worthy of on an ONW comparison, had you said he never won a National Championship it's doubtful you would've been met with reaction you got....by many. Gary Gait and never got it done don't belong in the same sentence when it comes to lacrosse, and no, there are no coaches above criticism (by all the armchair critics).
[/quote
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Cuse 13 - Stony Brook 9
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

madlaxer59 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:25 am
DMac wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:40 pm The never got it done post is an ONW level post.
Don’t ever compare me to that idiot.
Sorry didn’t realize some coaches were above criticism. He is a very good coach in that he knows more about the game than anyone and is extremely creative. He was the first coach to make an offer to my D. However, with all the years of talent he has worked with it has to be deflating he never won. I don’t care what teams they played against. When other teams with talented players year after year don’t “get it done” their coaches get criticized. I guess GG is above criticism. I hope KT gets it done.
No one said Gary is "above criticism." The pushback is more on the "didn't get it done" comment, which I tried to respectfully respond to in a post above. We have a difference of opinion about, maybe, what it takes for a coach, in a competitive sport, to make a meaningful legacy. I don't think a national championship is required to place a coach in the pantheon of excellent coaches.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:14 pm Agree. Never was a fan. Always underperformed. Team was undisciplined. Kayla has his players playing better already.
Heard Def Chevarie (sp) who went down the other week “lower body injury” acl? Ugh.
HailMaryPass

Post by HailMaryPass »

Rewatching some old games. Mashewske & Cheverie both injured themselves around the 50 yd line along the bench sideline. Coincidence or could there be dead spots in the field there? Or distracted from running along busy sidelines/cheering? Just some thoughts, miss seeing them both play and wishing them both luck in their recoveries.

Any news on Markey? She was out for the Virginia game but no post on the instagram if she is out.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Madlax59 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:42 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:14 pm Agree. Never was a fan. Always underperformed. Team was undisciplined. Kayla has his players playing better already.
Heard Def Chevarie (sp) who went down the other week “lower body injury” acl? Ugh.
Acl.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

HailMaryPass wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:48 pm Rewatching some old games. Mashewske & Cheverie both injured themselves around the 50 yd line along the bench sideline. Coincidence or could there be dead spots in the field there? Or distracted from running along busy sidelines/cheering? Just some thoughts, miss seeing them both play and wishing them both luck in their recoveries.

Any news on Markey? She was out for the Virginia game but no post on the instagram if she is out.
Acl
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

HailMaryPass wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:48 pm Rewatching some old games. Mashewske & Cheverie both injured themselves around the 50 yd line along the bench sideline. Coincidence or could there be dead spots in the field there? Or distracted from running along busy sidelines/cheering? Just some thoughts, miss seeing them both play and wishing them both luck in their recoveries.

Coincidence IMO. From what I remember, Mashewske was displaced mid-stride by an opposing player and landed funny. Not much to do with the location on the field (Other than the fact that players are typically in a flat out sprint through the midfield). Did not see plays where Chevarie and Markey got injured, but injuries have happened all over that field and on practice fields. I don’t think it has much to do with the 50 yd line.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Fischer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:01 pm

Acl
Markey tore her ACL as well? That is crazy - I don't think any other NCAA team has had more ACL's then Cuse.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Brownlax wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:52 pm
Fischer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:01 pm

Acl
Markey tore her ACL as well? That is crazy - I don't think any other NCAA team has had more ACL's then Cuse.
And I feel like we make this statement every year . It is mind boggling . So that’s 3? Not sure what chevarie injury is only heard lower body. Terrible !

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”