Centennial Conference 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
WashedUp06

Re: Centennial Conference 2023

Post by WashedUp06 »

HomerCoach wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:21 pm
notjeffshirk wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:19 pm Absolutely, I'm referring to mistakes like bad passes.
I'm done, but wouldn't bad passes mean you're less skilled?
:lol:

in other news: FanLax polsters not giving Swat the credit they deserve - maybe they are viewed as less "skilled" despite the W/L record and dominance of some quality teams
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

WashedUp06 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:26 pm
notjeffshirk wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:19 pm Absolutely, I'm referring to mistakes like bad passes.

in other news: FanLax polsters not giving Swat the credit they deserve - maybe they are viewed as less "skilled" despite the W/L record and dominance of some quality teams
Yeah...this is not good by the pollsters
homerfan14

Post by homerfan14 »

Can really see people's bias' in these polls. If you aren't a "blue blood" or NESCAC good luck getting in without a top 10 win. Swat deserves to be in most polls, now they will have to beat Gettysburg to get respect
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

I haven't checked yet but did Swarthmore get any votes in the USILA, USA/Nike or Inside Lacrosse polls? If not they are really getting hosed!! As a true Gettysburg homer I certainly don't want Swarthmore getting anymore motivation because they are going to give the Bullets all they can handle on Saturday.

Ohh and the Bullets also have to deal with York on Weds...big week coming up.
laxrat1982

Post by laxrat1982 »

If any of them don’t have Swat in there, it just proves how biased and invalid these rankings typically are (USA lax magazine seemingly the worst of the 3, consistently). Sure we want our favorite teams to win but rankings should be based on CURRENT performance, not prior years or a “name.”
WashedUp06

Post by WashedUp06 »

homerfan14 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:48 pm Can really see people's bias' in these polls. If you aren't a "blue blood" or NESCAC good luck getting in without a top 10 win. Swat deserves to be in most polls, now they will have to beat Gettysburg to get respect
Lots of 4+ loss teams still highly ranked in the InsideLacrosse poll too:

#9 Lynchburg (4 losses) - probably a top 25 team still but top 10 w/4 losses is excessive
#12 York (4 losses) - barely over .500 and ranked in top 15...best wins ( F&M- UR, #20 Ursinus). Lost to the next team #14 W&L
#14 W&L (4 losses) - Best wins (#12 York, Washington - UR, #13 Denison), Worse Loss (#19 Hampden Sydney)
#16 Stevenson (6 losses) - 4-6 record and in the top 20 is egregious IMO - even if they are all "quality" losses...

good thing is this demonstrates a lot of parity w/a lot quality teams capable of winning any given day, but it also demonstrates that name recognition is more important in some cases than consistently winning (i do agree in that strength of schedule is still important since there are a lot of 0-2 loss teams that havent played anyone worth their salt)

IMO Swat should be in the top 15

Also, the Mabbs bro's have combined for 80 points this year...that is impressive
laxgeek37

Post by laxgeek37 »

WashedUp06 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:26 pm

SWAT is on HEATER! Will be a thriller this weekend. Especially since they upset Gburg last year. The bullets probably taking this one extra persona
Last edited by laxgeek37 on Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Swarthmore comes in at # 20 In the USA Lacrosse/Nike Poll. I would put them #14-#16
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

They are having a great start to the season, but Swarthmore did lose to a 7-5 Vassar team that has losses to Montclair State and Skidmore. Vassar will probably finish 7-9 and last in the Liberty League unless they can pull off some upsets. The 8-1 record for Swat is good. Wins over F&M, Muhlenberg, and Roanoke. But I don't see their resume as being top 15 right now. It can definitely get there with some wins in the next two weeks.
laxdad4394

Post by laxdad4394 »

From what I've read, the conditions for that vassar loss were horrendous. The game was played at vassar on a field where they were not allowed to wear real cleats, and the ground was covered in snow. It was requested that the game be moved to a later date with safer conditions, but the vassar coaches said no, but moved their next game. That win was definitely the height of the brewers' career. Definitely a hit on Swat's resume.

Swat proved their ranked wins were not flukes this year like their Gettysburg game last year, and I think they should be ranking in the top 15. Their Gettysburg game this weekend will be key to earning that ranking and National respect among the Blue Bloods. Might I add, last time they had a week to prepare they beat a ranked Muhlenberg team by 10 (with the help of a horrendous Muhlenberg performance)?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

laxdad4394 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:26 pm From what I've read, the conditions for that vassar loss were horrendous. The game was played at vassar on a field where they were not allowed to wear real cleats, and the ground was covered in snow. It was requested that the game be moved to a later date with safer conditions, but the vassar coaches said no, but moved their next game. That win was definitely the height of the brewers' career. Definitely a hit on Swat's resume.

Swat proved their ranked wins were not flukes this year like their Gettysburg game last year, and I think they should be ranking in the top 15. Their Gettysburg game this weekend will be key to earning that ranking and National respect among the Blue Bloods. Might I add, last time they had a week to prepare they beat a ranked Muhlenberg team by 10 (with the help of a horrendous Muhlenberg performance)?
Wins? They only have one win and it’s vs Muhlenberg. Who is like them, trying to push into the next tier. Swarthmore is good, they’ll have plenty of opportunity to show us how good soon.
laxdad4394

Post by laxdad4394 »

They also just beat F&M
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

laxdad4394 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:25 pm They also just beat F&M
F&M doesn’t even have a winning record. Look I like Swarthmore, what a dramatic turnaround by coach Gress. They are a good team and are top 20 caliber, the next few weeks will show us whether they have turned the corner or if they are a year away. They are very obviously a program on the rise with tons of upside.
Dips_lax

Post by Dips_lax »

two cents from someone that has seen both F&M and Swarthmore play...

Yes F&M is a .500 team. Elizabethtown was a bad loss. York, Lynchburg, Dickinson and Swarthmore (IMHO) were not. F&M was in all games sans a Q or two and all of these teams have proven they can hang with the elite (Lynchburg vs CNU OT loss).

Swarthmore might be the most complete of any of those teams at this stage in the eye test. Well coached, solid D and multiple threats on offense. I think they can do some damage in the centennial this year. This isn't your fathers Swat team. I can see them be close #2 behind G'burg.
laxdad4394

Post by laxdad4394 »

My CC Rankings at the moment:
1. Gettysburg- No surprise, talent everywhere, great coaching
2. Swarthmore- Solid defense, incredible offense, a lot of youth, team is in a great spot for next few years
3. Dickinson- Talent everywhere, very solid goalie, interesting loss to Muhlenburg
4. Ursinus- Haven't watched too much, very athletic, great offense and defense
5. F&M- Incredible young talent, if this year is not great future years will be
6. Muhlenburg- Goalie issues, unused talent, competing for the last playoff spot
7. WAC- Loved the move by Nostrant to run against Muhlenberg as it worked for Swat, team is getting better, need some great recruits
8. Haverford- The program is not getting any better
9. McDaniel- When was the last time they had a conference win?
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Very big week in the CC(playoff seeding is definitely on the line this week) Lets get to the games

Wednesday

-Gettysburg vs York- This game on paper might be the game of the week. Gettysburg has one of the most physically talented defenses I've ever seen(and that is saying something based on how great some of their past defenses have been). On offense they have multiple threats who have big game experience. York comes in with no true "signature win". York has a very organized(though not as talented defense as Gettysburg) and an offense that has struggled at times to score. I think this game comes down to the special teams. Where I think York has a glaring advantage. Gettysburg is stopping the ball at under 50% on the year which truly shows how dominant their defense has been. Face-offs really is where York will win this game. If they dominate the game I think they have enough to slip by Gettysburg like they did last year. I think Gettysburg will counter this by double polling which might make things interesting. Give me Gettysburg winning 11-9

Saturday

-Haverford vs Ursinus- What Ursinus as we going to get? The one that pushed Gettysburg and beat Saint John Fisher. Or the one that got blown out by York and threw the ball away non stop vs a lesser McDaniel team? Haverford struggles to score but their goalie has been on fire. Ursinus loves to take bad shots. This is going to be closer then I think most expect. Ursinus 11-9

-Muhlenberg vs McDaniel- The Mules come in still looking for a great team effort on both sides of the ball. McDaniel is just looking to hang tough again like they did vs Ursinus. Mules 17-5

-Gettysburg vs Swarthmore- Swarthmore are the real deal. If Gettysburg hadn't lost this game last year id say there is a chance. Not this time. Gettysburg 14-9

-Washington vs Dickinson- Okay Washington, if you want to make the CC playoffs this is one they need to steal. I haven't been very impressed with Dickinson this season. They are very hot and cold all over the field. If Washington can start strong, I think they have the horses to make this very interesting. They will need a great goaltending performance. Dickinson 13-12
laxrat1982

Post by laxrat1982 »

laxdad4394 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:56 am My CC Rankings at the moment:
2. Swarthmore- Solid defense, incredible offense, a lot of youth, team is in a great spot for next few years
3. Dickinson- Talent everywhere, very solid goalie, interesting loss to Muhlenburg
6. Muhlenburg- Goalie issues, unused talent, competing for the last playoff spot
7. WAC- Loved the move by Nostrant to run against Muhlenberg as it worked for Swat, team is getting better, need some great recruits

You seem to have quite the animosity against some of the CC teams. Care to elaborate on how you came to some of your conclusions?
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

laxrat1982 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:39 am

You seem to have quite the animosity against some of the CC teams. Care to elaborate on how you came to some of your conclusions?
I'd go fairly far to say that Muhlenberg has one of/if not the best goalie in the conference. "goalie issues" is certainly not one of their top concerns. One horrible game for May but throughout the past 2/3 years he's been one of the top keepers in the conference.
WashedUp06

Post by WashedUp06 »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:38 pm
laxrat1982 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:39 am

I'd go fairly far to say that Muhlenberg has one of/if not the best goalie in the conference. "goalie issues" is certainly not one of their top concerns. One horrible game for May but throughout the past 2/3 years he's been one of the top keepers in the conference.
I'd agree on the analysis of May, very talented an all-conference player in years past. Rough night against Swat (happens to the best), but the main concern would be health. Has been beat up a few times this year and didnt finish the game against WAC after taking a hit in that game, so the big question mark is: Can you get and stay healthy in that spot?
laxdad4394

Post by laxdad4394 »

^^^ That was stated much better than how I put it. The Mules need May healthy and in top form.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”