ODAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
InsiderRoll

Re: ODAC 2023

Post by InsiderRoll »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:28 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:48 am
AbeFroeman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:51 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:05 pm The York and Denison wins are diminishing in value to the Generals
How is the York win diminishing in value. York might be a top 10 team after this weekend.
York is 5-4 best win being Ursinus #19 at the time and Denison just lost to Kenyon. Bottom line is there are a lot of teams who aren’t what I thought they’d be; W&L, Lynchburg, York have all played below my expectations were for the season. What do I say about Denison besting Gettysburg and then lose to Kenyon. I agree on this thread with the comment there are only 4-5 teams who can with the National title this year, Tufts, RIT, CNU, Salisbury, maybe Gettysburg due their D
To be fair he’s saying “make it to Memorial Day” as in, even be runner up, not just the winner. We needn’t look further than Union last year to see how ridiculous that is. Tell me who your favorites are, heck tell me who the favorites are. But to list 4-5 teams and say nobody else has a chance is right on par with the arrogance frequently displayed. Just plain silly, but I suppose he will stop watching then, because he called it.
Union had 2 losses playing in what was the strongest league in the country last year and 1 loss in the regular season. They started 8 seniors. They were 14-1 at the end of the regular season with 3 top 10 wins (all on the road, including a 5 goal thumping of Tufts), 5 top 20 wins and the #5 SOS in the country. Their lone loss being a 1 goal game to undefeated defending national champion RIT. They were ranked in the top 5 nearly the entire year. Explain to me how Lynchburg, York, or W&L look anything like that?

They hosted a regional pod, got two games that were very winnable early. Then had York knock off their biggest obstacle before the final 4. These are just facts, not opinion.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:38 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:05 pm The York and Denison wins are diminishing in value to the Generals
How is the York win diminishing in value. York might be a top 10 team after this weekend.
York is 5-4 best win being Ursinus #19 at the time and Denison just lost to Kenyon. Bottom line is there are a lot of teams who aren’t what I thought they’d be; W&L, Lynchburg, York have all played below my expectations were for the season. What do I say about Denison besting Gettysburg and then lose to Kenyon. I agree on this thread with the comment there are only 4-5 teams who can with the National title this year, Tufts, RIT, CNU, Salisbury, maybe Gettysburg due their D
To be fair he’s saying “make it to Memorial Day” as in, even be runner up, not just the winner. We needn’t look further than Union last year to see how ridiculous that is. Tell me who your favorites are, heck tell me who the favorites are. But to list 4-5 teams and say nobody else has a chance is right on par with the arrogance frequently displayed. Just plain silly, but I suppose he will stop watching then, because he called it.
Union had 2 losses playing in what was the strongest league in the country last year and 1 loss in the regular season. They started 8 seniors. They were 14-1 at the end of the regular season with 3 top 10 wins (all on the road, including a 5 goal thumping of Tufts), 5 top 20 wins and the #5 SOS in the country. Their lone loss being a 1 goal game to undefeated defending national champion RIT. They were ranked in the top 5 nearly the entire year. Explain to me how Lynchburg, York, or W&L look anything like that?

They hosted a regional pod, got two games that were very winnable early. Then had York knock off their biggest obstacle before the final 4. These are just facts, not opinion.
Right. So I should be able to go back and find all your March and early April posts last year about how Union had a shot to be playing on Memorial Day weekend right?

Or were you wrong then too?

I’m just saying you’re speaking in absolutes and it is silly.
We are literally going to have a March Madness final tonight involving San Diego State. I suppose you locked that one in mid season too?
Last edited by DeepPocket on Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:58 am

Right. So I should be able to go back and find all your March and early April posts last year about how Union had a shot to be playing on Memorial Day weekend right?

This isn’t a pissing contest, all I did was present data. You seem very angry that the data doesn’t support what you want.

And for record. I looked back at my bracketolgy post and slid Union into the first at-large bid last year. So I’d say I’m not too off base here.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:12 am
DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:58 am

This isn’t a pissing contest, all I did was present data. You seem very angry that the data doesn’t support what you want.

And for record. I looked back at my bracketolgy post and slid Union into the first at-large bid last year. So I’d say I’m not too off base here.
Nope. Its just silly to speak in absolutes, that is all. No pissing. No anger. I respectfully disagree that any one team has “zero” chance of anything, and I think to suggest it comes across as arrogant.

Ahem, San Diego State tonight, Ahem
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

Well, good thing Michigan didn't listen to you or they wouldn't have bothered to play the terps this weekend. Look at Denison beating Gettysburg or any other upset this year. Hell, nobody thought York was going to knock off CNU last year and that happened. I think it's ok to have an opinion, but it's not realistic to suggest nobody else has a shot.

Most of these teams are playing very close this year, and I think there are more shots for more teams this year than any other year.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MacAttack wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:26 am Well, good thing Michigan didn't listen to you or they wouldn't have bothered to play the terps this weekend. Look at Denison beating Gettysburg or any other upset this year. Hell, nobody thought York was going to knock off CNU last year and that happened. I think it's ok to have an opinion, but it's not realistic to suggest nobody else has a shot.

Most of these teams are playing very close this year, and I think there are more shots for more teams this year than any other year.
Disregard. We’ve already achieved that point in the disagreement where the only remaining course of action for one party was to abandon their failed position and accuse the other party of getting “angry.” So much for friendly discourse.

Everyone misspeaks once in a while…
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

MacAttack wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:26 am

Well, good thing Michigan didn't listen to you or they wouldn't have bothered to play the terps this weekend. Look at Denison beating Gettysburg or any other upset this year. Hell, nobody thought York was going to knock off CNU last year and that happened. I think it's ok to have an opinion, but it's not realistic to suggest nobody else has a shot.

I literally said that they can win games against top teams earlier this morning. on this thread! I said they have done nothing to convince me they can win 4-5 games in a row against top level teams.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:51 am
MacAttack wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:26 am Well, good thing Michigan didn't listen to you or they wouldn't have bothered to play the terps this weekend. Look at Denison beating Gettysburg or any other upset this year. Hell, nobody thought York was going to knock off CNU last year and that happened. I think it's ok to have an opinion, but it's not realistic to suggest nobody else has a shot.

Disregard. We’ve already achieved that point in the disagreement where the only remaining course of action for one party was to abandon their failed position and accuse the other party of getting “angry.” So much for friendly discourse.

Everyone misspeaks once in a while…
My “failed position”. I literally provided evidence That no team outside of the top 5 has ever made a championship weekend appearance in the history of D3 lacrosse. The last team with 4 losses to make it to championship weekend in D3 was Washington College in 1998. Yet me pointing all of these facts somehow makes me wrong? It’s like arguing with math.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:14 am My “failed position”. I literally provided evidence That no team outside of the top 5 has ever made a championship weekend appearance in the history of D3 lacrosse. The last team with 4 losses to make it to championship weekend in D3 was Washington College in 1998. Yet me pointing all of these facts somehow makes me wrong? It’s like arguing with math.
Your failed position that outside of the teams you listed nobody else has ANY chance (0%) of being one of the 2 teams to play Memorial Day. Yes.

You can come at York and their 4 losses again and again. I know I’ve made my team known. But we’re not arguing W&L vs York here, much as you’d like to get off topic. This is about ALL teams outside of the ones you listed.

Also, I’m not sure which poll had Cabrini ranked top 5 at ANY point prior to the tournament in 2019 (let alone where we are now at week 7) and I’m pretty sure they played on Memorial Day. (And if after an exhaustive search you find somewhere where they were top 5 in week 7, it still doesn’t mean it could never happen)

You’re listing historical & statistical evidence, which points to what is probable, and what is less probable, and using that to try to prove your absolute statement of what can and cannot happen. That will never be the case and I think you’re smart enough to know that, just unable to admit it.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

The brackets remain mostly North and South until the elite 8. LYN was sent up last year. York the year before to balance..

My bias is LYN and York led by LYN grad. Childs.
I’m a realist too. LYN is young but..
I see the all Freshman attack making better decisions especially with #38 Vandenburg who has only played 3 or 4 games but his inside game has begun to balance the offense. Riley Hasting #24 may be ROY. These guys are still adapting to college pace and have a high ceiling as we chase ODAC 3 peat
Defense is more organized. #33 sr. Cole Nestor back since Mustang he is a force on FO unit and gets his legs back..
Darminio has a motor with another gear and Hadley can steal a game or 2..

While I agree there are 4 favorites in Sal. CNU, Tufts and RIT lots of factors still to unfold.
- Injuries can be a problem.. CNU FO guy may not be 100% the rest of season.. LYN is without Dylan Wolfe..
- senior leadership late in season is vital
- full team engagement especially the scout look team, film
- team chemistry and Excellent coaching while dealing with spring, skirts and finals..

The beauty of sports is that underdogs can and sometimes do win. I believe we’ll see an upset or 2. Sal. and CNU are beatable! IMHO all roads run thru Tufts.

Good luck the rest of the way!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Abe, I’ve had 2 teams last year that from day 1 of the season I thought could go all the way. CNU I thought was the best team in the country prior to the start of the season. York was my dark horse. CNU has stayed on track. York has taken a hit this year in my opinion. Still a very good team but not elite. Just judging from the eye test I think Lynchburg, York and W&L are 10-15 teams when playing well. I think those teams if playing each other on any given day would almost go 50%. If any of those teams played Tufts, RIT, Salisbury or CNU I think they all lose 85-90% of the time. W&L is very young 6 starting freshman and sophomores. Not sure where the soft spot is for York and Lynchburg
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

A lot of people in this discussion seem to be forgetting that Gettysburg has already beaten Salisbury this year.
W&LLover

Post by W&LLover »

Thought this was the ODAC page?
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

The ODAC is teetering on the edge of being a one bid conference. Lynchburg and W&L will get in if they both make it to the ODAC final but they may end up playing each other in the Semifinals. That could set the stage for a winner take all final for the NCAA bid.
Dehuntshigwa’es

SixBySix wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:32 pm A lot of people in this discussion seem to be forgetting that Gettysburg has already beaten Salisbury this year.
Gettysburg was also beaten by Denison who just lost to Kenyon. Didn’t forget about the Salisbury game
Dehuntshigwa’es

JustOneTime wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:54 pm The ODAC is teetering on the edge of being a one bid conference. Lynchburg and W&L will get in if they both make it to the ODAC final but they may end up playing each other in the Semifinals. That could set the stage for a winner take all final for the NCAA bid.
Bingo!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JustOneTime wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:54 pm The ODAC is teetering on the edge of being a one bid conference. Lynchburg and W&L will get in if they both make it to the ODAC final but they may end up playing each other in the Semifinals. That could set the stage for a winner take all final for the NCAA bid.
I get where this comes from, teetering is fair. But there will need to be some upsets nationally or more within the ODAC to solidify that. Neither team as a bad resume but neither has a particularly great one either.

But plenty of other teams are losing as well. A lot of people get consumed with poll wins as far as at large slots go, frankly that doesn’t matter. Wins vs regionally ranked opponents matters.

ODAC is likely to play 4 teams in those rankings, possibly 5 as RMC could sneak in. This region is weak and large, let’s assume RMC doesn’t though.

W&L is going to be 4-4 vs regionally ranked teams as long as they beat Roanoke.

Lynchburg will be 4-4 at least. If Stevenson and F&M get ranked, possible but they’re really pushing it. They’d be as much as 6-4. That’d put them in.

They’d each play another opponent in the semis that would regionally ranked.

It’ll be close but right now they’d narrowly make the field as at larges, but if there’s a lot of noise in conference tournaments, particularly the centennial or liberty than yes someone could get bumped out.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

If all play out as planned, we will likely see Lynchburg, W&L, and HSC in the tourney. One will get the AQ

HSC, Lynchburg and W&L should finish all out with 13-4. if they get past the first round of the ODAC, they should get a bid.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:00 pm If all play out as planned, we will likely see Lynchburg, W&L, and HSC in the tourney. One will get the AQ

HSC, Lynchburg and W&L should finish all out with 13-4. if they get past the first round of the ODAC, they should get a bid.
HSC (only) hanging their hat on the W&L win is a slippery slope and they are probably going to have to do more (a win against Lynchburg or W&L) to get an at large bid.

Lynchburg resume is only a little better than HSCs currently.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Lynchburg will dismantle Roanoke, lots of laundry in this contest. Looking for Hadley to have a big day. Any word on Wolfe. Let’s see rookie of the year Hastings catch fire in this contest

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”