NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: NESCAC

Post by pcowlax »

Unknown Participant wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:23 am Yeah, he's the SID and acts as official scorer for Bowdoin lax, hockey and probably a few more Bowdoin sports ffs.
Being official scorer is obviously very different from being a game referee. All schools use someone of their own as scorer for home games.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

No this is an official not a scorer
beantown_lax879

Post by beantown_lax879 »

SKUD wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:54 am No this is an official not a scorer
The member of the SID who scores the game is listed with the 3 on-field officials in the box score. It's just how the scoring software formats the box score. If you look at the box scores of other schools, you'll see people from the SID listed as an "official", but they are just in the press box keeping statistics.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

The first three listed are the on-field officials, the 4th is the scorer normally.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Unknown Participant wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:28 am The first three listed are the on-field officials, the 4th is the scorer normally.
Thank you, he is the 4th listed and that would make sense. No conspiracy here.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I’m far from a Tufts fan but do find this data interesting (albeit not really rooted in fact, metrics can be useful though)

https://masseyratings.com/clax/ncaa-d3/ratings

The Massey ratings for lacrosse would show Tufts is far and away ahead of the pack.

When mixed with D1 teams the computer projects Tufts as the #22 team in all of college lacrosse (CNU is next at 40 for reference). And rates Tufts offense as #6 in all of college lacrosse (D1, D3, and D3). Impressive! Lots of work to do but they truly are in pursuit of being one of the best D3 teams of all time, in line with some of the historic Salisbury and Hobart teams.
charliefayispredator

Post by charliefayispredator »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:57 pm I’m far from a Tufts fan but do find this data interesting (albeit not really rooted in fact, metrics can be useful though)

The Massey ratings for lacrosse would show Tufts is far and away ahead of the pack.

When mixed with D1 teams the computer projects Tufts as the #22 team in all of college lacrosse (CNU is next at 40 for reference). And rates Tufts offense as #6 in all of college lacrosse (D1, D3, and D3). Impressive! Lots of work to do but they truly are in pursuit of being one of the best D3 teams of all time, in line with some of the historic Salisbury and Hobart teams.
According to those “ratings” RIT was 16th overall team across all divisions last year and 8th in 2021. They were first overall (ranked higher than any D1 school including Yale and Duke) in 2018, despite failing to even make the Division 3 national championship game.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

smoova wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:49 pm
BallHunt wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:20 pm
smoova wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:16 am
The12lov3 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:10 pm
georgeoar394 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:08 pm
The12lov3 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:39 pm The massacre begins by Tufts. Dominating Middlebury
Massacre? I must be missing something cause 15-19 sounds like a tightish game, especially when all other games Tufts has scored 25+ easily and not allowed more then 10 goals aside from AC
The game was not close at all. The 4th quarter Tufts was man down like 7 times. It was never as close as the score indicated.
Agreed. This game (particularly the first half) underscored the deficiency in the Midd offense that's been present all season. Will be interesting to see if the Midd coaches make an adjustment or if the "close" final score lulls them into the same inaction we saw after the Conn College and RPI squeakers. You can bet that Barnard and Raba are watching that film today.
At this point in the season, teams play a Saturday game, the next day watch film of the day before and get briefed on the next game with a small workout of some sort, the next day is a decent practice for the "adjustments" then the day before they have a light practice and work emo/mdd. The adjustments become challenging as there is no muscle memory build for it. Instead the players must rely on their smarts and ability to adjust at game time. The Wednesday to Saturday cycle is shorter and more challenging.

Oh and they have some pretty challenging academics to push through too.

It takes obsessive D1-level commitment to effectively adjust and play the best game possible with turnarounds like these.
I’m pretty familiar with the life of a NESCAC lacrosse player. You’re right about the relatively limited time available to make adjustments, but I’m not talking about installing a new slide package or backer zone. Defenders at this level are quick to implement concepts like “## only dummy dodges and crease camps, no slide there” or “quick slide when ## or ## is carrying.” Toomy did a nice job for the Midd game.
Indeed I know you are. I'm saying the relentless schedule is a far cry from D1 teams who can perfect a game plan with typically a whole week between games.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:57 pm I’m far from a Tufts fan but do find this data interesting (albeit not really rooted in fact, metrics can be useful though)

Comparing them to Salisbury who has 12 titles or Hobart who won 12 or 13 in a row is a bit of a reach. Plus the teams in the 80's and early part of the 90's actually played regular season games against some of the top D1 schools in the country
smoova

Post by smoova »

BallHunt wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:46 pm Indeed I know you are. I'm saying the relentless schedule is a far cry from D1 teams who can perfect a game plan with typically a whole week between games.
Got it, I misunderstood - no argument here.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:34 pm

Comparing them to Salisbury who has 12 titles or Hobart who won 12 or 13 in a row is a bit of a reach. Plus the teams in the 80's and early part of the 90's actually played regular season games against some of the top D1 schools in the country
I just meant single season performance, I agree they are not that as a program. I also agree that they don’t play d1 teams but to be fair it was a different era. In reality it’s pretty realistic to say that the way top D3 teams train now is equal to or exceeds the way D1 lacrosse teams trained in the 80s.
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:04 pm

I just meant single season performance, I agree they are not that as a program. I also agree that they don’t play d1 teams but to be fair it was a different era. In reality it’s pretty realistic to say that the way top D3 teams train now is equal to or exceeds the way D1 lacrosse teams trained in the 80s.
Different era, different game, etc. Totally agree, all teams today train way differently then we did back then. A number of D1 teams back then did not even have fall ball and for many it was basically like "pick up"
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:42 pm

Different era, different game, etc. Totally agree, all teams today train way differently then we did back then. A number of D1 teams back then did not even have fall ball and for many it was basically like "pick up"
When I was playing in the late 80’s - we never lifted weights once and we never watched film on opponents. Times have changed!!
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:42 pm

On a completely different and much more interesting topic....this week there are a host of very interesting mid-week games. Amazingly we are basically at the half way point of the season with 7 games remaining for each of the teams.

Wesleyan and Amherst will be the biggest game of the mid-week games. Both have one conference loss and getting to the number 2 seed in the NESCAC tourney and avoiding Tufts in the quarters will be key to getting an NCAA bid. Getting 2 into the tourney is pretty much a guaranty, good chance there are 3 but nothing is certain. If a G'burg or RIT does not win their conference they are still getting a bid so to get three teams you have to hope for chalk winning out. Back to the game, hard to know which Wesleyan team shows up but still have to give the edge to Amherst and their offense. They have 5 players with 18 or more goals and am not sure that the Cardinals can slow them down. I like Amherst by 4, 18-14.

Hamilton and Midd is an interesting mid-week game. Long ride for Hamilton and will be interesting to see how Midd bounces back in what I am sure was a draining and tough loss to Tufts. Wesleyan put it to Hamilton and I think Midd does the same, bounce back game for them as they too have eyes on the number two seed, Midd 16 Hamilton 11.

Bates and Bowdoin, this one is kind of easy but feeling is we will not be saying that for too long. Annino will have them revved up for this one but emotion will not prevail, Bowdoin 21-Bates 9. Next year this game will be in Lewiston and the result might be different.

Conn and Trinity. Conn riding a 3 game winning streak, looking to make it four in a row which has not happened since 2018 (yes, I know two years of Covid). They are getting very good goalie production and have a very solid defense. Offense has been an issue and that stems from issues at x where their win percentage is .409. Trinity has also had outstanding goalie play and they shut down one of the best attackmen in the country last week. Gebhardt from MIT did not score and only took 4 shots. It is a toss up, but since the game is in Hartford I will go with Trinity 12-11.

Williams and Tufts. Williams the last of the 1 loss teams to be mentioned will drop out of that distinct group when they face the Jumbos in Medford. Gotta question McCormack scheduling CNU and Tufts back to back. That being said they held their own against CNU, game was a one goal game going into the 4th and CNU pulled away scoring 7 times in the final frame. Not sure they hold Tufts that close, Tufts 19- Williams 9.

Colby travels down to Cambridge to take on MIT. Will be interesting to see if they follow the game plan of Trinity in regard to Gebhardt or if they play him straight up. Colby is riding a 5 game losing streak, do not see them breaking it this week, MIT 18 Colby 10.

Thoughts?
smoova

Post by smoova »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:18 pm On a completely different and much more interesting topic....this week there are a host of very interesting mid-week games. Amazingly we are basically at the half way point of the season with 7 games remaining for each of the teams.

Wesleyan and Amherst will be the biggest game of the mid-week games. Both have one conference loss and getting to the number 2 seed in the NESCAC tourney and avoiding Tufts in the quarters will be key to getting an NCAA bid. Getting 2 into the tourney is pretty much a guaranty, good chance there are 3 but nothing is certain. If a G'burg or RIT does not win their conference they are still getting a bid so to get three teams you have to hope for chalk winning out. Back to the game, hard to know which Wesleyan team shows up but still have to give the edge to Amherst and their offense. They have 5 players with 18 or more goals and am not sure that the Cardinals can slow them down. I like Amherst by 4, 18-14.

Hamilton and Midd is an interesting mid-week game. Long ride for Hamilton and will be interesting to see how Midd bounces back in what I am sure was a draining and tough loss to Tufts. Wesleyan put it to Hamilton and I think Midd does the same, bounce back game for them as they too have eyes on the number two seed, Midd 16 Hamilton 11.

Bates and Bowdoin, this one is kind of easy but feeling is we will not be saying that for too long. Annino will have them revved up for this one but emotion will not prevail, Bowdoin 21-Bates 9. Next year this game will be in Lewiston and the result might be different.

Conn and Trinity. Conn riding a 3 game winning streak, looking to make it four in a row which has not happened since 2018 (yes, I know two years of Covid). They are getting very good goalie production and have a very solid defense. Offense has been an issue and that stems from issues at x where their win percentage is .409. Trinity has also had outstanding goalie play and they shut down one of the best attackmen in the country last week. Gebhardt from MIT did not score and only took 4 shots. It is a toss up, but since the game is in Hartford I will go with Trinity 12-11.

Williams and Tufts. Williams the last of the 1 loss teams to be mentioned will drop out of that distinct group when they face the Jumbos in Medford. Gotta question McCormack scheduling CNU and Tufts back to back. That being said they held their own against CNU, game was a one goal game going into the 4th and CNU pulled away scoring 7 times in the final frame. Not sure they hold Tufts that close, Tufts 19- Williams 9.

Colby travels down to Cambridge to take on MIT. Will be interesting to see if they follow the game plan of Trinity in regard to Gebhardt or if they play him straight up. Colby is riding a 5 game losing streak, do not see them breaking it this week, MIT 18 Colby 10.

Thoughts?
Solid predictions/rationale. I might push a couple of the margins a little one way or the other, but it's starting to feel like the 2023 NESCAC pecking order is getting better sorted. That said, we're about to get the Wes/Amherst/Midd round robin that could mix things up again.
Laxwizard

Post by Laxwizard »

Good predictions...only comments are that I don't see how Wes or AC could ever face the Jumbos in the NESCAC quarter finals, regardless of their game's result. Semis for sure, but they won't slip to 7th or 8th in the 'cac. Also there were 4 teams in the NCAA's last year. Why not this year?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Good article on Williams’ goalie Freitas in the recent USA Lacrosse Magazine. I had no idea about his leg (admittedly I have almost no idea about anything related to Williams lacrosse). Inspirational.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

Laxwizard wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:07 pm Good predictions...only comments are that I don't see how Wes or AC could ever face the Jumbos in the NESCAC quarter finals, regardless of their game's result. Semis for sure, but they won't slip to 7th or 8th in the 'cac. Also there were 4 teams in the NCAA's last year. Why not this year?
Sloppy on my part. Meant semis and not quarters. In terms of the big tournament, everything broke right and the NESCAC got the four that you mentioned. You can’t count on that agin this year especially with the strength of some of the other leagues. St Lawrence with only a loss against Union and a game with Midd on the horizon could be a third LL team. Centennial has G’burg, Swathmore, Dickinson Muhlenburg and the NEWMAC could also be a multiple team league with Babson and MIT. There just are not that many at large bids available.
Point is you want to control your own destiny and not have to worry about the committee.
Garbagetime

Post by Garbagetime »

smoova wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:52 pm
JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:18 pm On a completely different and much more interesting topic....this week there are a host of very interesting mid-week games. Amazingly we are basically at the half way point of the season with 7 games remaining for each of the teams.

Thoughts?

Agreed with every prediction but this one. Conn lost a one goal game to a strong Midd team and never trailed against Williams. Trinity has looked better than preseason suggested but I think the camels will grab this by 2 or 3
ah23

Post by ah23 »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:18 pm Colby travels down to Cambridge to take on MIT. Will be interesting to see if they follow the game plan of Trinity in regard to Gebhardt or if they play him straight up. Colby is riding a 5 game losing streak, do not see them breaking it this week, MIT 18 Colby 10.
Thoughts?
I’m interested to see what they do - any coach that doesn’t faceguard Gebhardt and instead tries to play MIT straight up is asleep at the wheel IMO. Think MIT will breeze into the 20s if Colby goes vanilla 6 on 6 defensively.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”