D1 Mens Lacrosse
flyerfan17

Re: Duke at UVA Friday March 31 5 pm

Post by flyerfan17 »

Duke is a motivated wagon, not sure how they lost to Jax
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

flyerfan17 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:40 pm Duke is a motivated wagon, not sure how they lost to Jax
Just remember they beat UVA last year...and by a much larger margin (17-8)...
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

If Duke stayed out of the box the margin of victory would have been larger...Lars had no answer for the Duke offense...
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

NNELax wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:32 am If Duke stayed out of the box the margin of victory would have been larger...Lars had no answer for the Duke offense...
Using your logic: if UVA hadn’t hit pipes or missed so many point blank shots, they would have won…
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Two things.

One, I can't think of another sport where 2 top teams regularly meet and one of the teams hangs a 17 game regular season winning streak on the other...while the losing team is winning titles on a regular basis. I said on another board, it'd be like Real Madrid losing 17 straight to FC Barcelona while Real was also winning UEFA Cups. It just makes no sense at all.

Two, Notre Dame is going to beat Duke next weekend.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

So I have to ask. Based on Duke > UVA and UVA > ND, what give you such confidence to go against the transitive law? Is it particular match-ups? Some kind of revenge factor?

P.S. Of course, I know that over the course of a season, the transitive law gets broken frequently, but absent other information that would be my starting point, especially with the results so recent. So, what is the other information?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

rasheed wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:53 am
NNELax wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:32 am If Duke stayed out of the box the margin of victory would have been larger...Lars had no answer for the Duke offense...
Using your logic: if UVA hadn’t hit pipes or missed so many point blank shots, they would have won…
also if duke got more penalties.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:37 am Two things.

One, I can't think of another sport where 2 top teams regularly meet and one of the teams hangs a 17 game regular season winning streak on the other...while the losing team is winning titles on a regular basis. I said on another board, it'd be like Real Madrid losing 17 straight to FC Barcelona while Real was also winning UEFA Cups. It just makes no sense at all.

Two, Notre Dame is going to beat Duke next weekend.
makes u think maybe the improving over the course of the season script should be flipped.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

End of the day Duke was the better team that night and Lars could not stop their offense...
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

NNELax wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:15 am End of the day Duke was the better team that night and Lars could not stop their offense...
That is correct and leave it at that. The other crap about if Duke did this then the margin is larger or if Virginia did this, the margin is different is complete BS.
Finster

Post by Finster »

blue angels wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:33 am
NNELax wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:15 am End of the day Duke was the better team that night and Lars could not stop their offense...
That is correct and leave it at that. The other crap about if Duke did this then the margin is larger or if Virginia did this, the margin is different is complete BS.

Sure, but there is more to the game than simply ‘this/that team was better for two hours’.

That was a home game for the Hoos; they have a generational offensive unit; their FOGO won 60%; Duke’s defense, while capable, has given up 13, 13, 12, and 13 to lesser offensive squads. Duke’s offense, obviously capable, only clawed 12 against St Joseph’s a week prior while dominating face offs.

And UVA haven’t beaten Duke on a regular season game in ages.

I think you need to think through this far more than a trite ‘gee, we lost, next’. I know Tiffany is. This loss is a soul searcher, potentially confidence crushing (a worse coach would allow that; Tiffany won’t).

This loss stings far more than what you’re letting on.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:07 pm

Sure, but there is more to the game than simply ‘this/that team was better for two hours’.

That was a home game for the Hoos; they have a generational offensive unit; their FOGO won 60%; Duke’s defense, while capable, has given up 13, 13, 12, and 13 to lesser offensive squads. Duke’s offense, obviously capable, only clawed 12 against St Joseph’s a week prior while dominating face offs.

I think you need to think through this far more than a trite ‘gee, we lost, next’. I know Tiffany is. This loss is a soul searcher, potentially confidence crushing (a worse coach would allow that; Tiffany won’t).

it was one game. they play them again in 2 weeks. teams lose games nowadays. 75% of the last dozen champs have had 3 or more losses. undefeated and 1 loss teams are unicorns. like every team, they'll need to bounce back from losses. soul searcher, confidence crushing, lmao.
Lager

Post by Lager »

What do duke and the worst Yale team in a decade have in common? They both played close and competitive games with Penn. Cornell should be the next #1. ACC been slacking for years now.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Lager wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:43 pm What do duke and the worst Yale team in a decade have in common? They both played close and competitive games with Penn. Cornell should be the next #1. ACC been slacking for years now.
For sure. It's been almost two whole seasons since an ACC team has won the NCAA championship after all. And that one league has only won 5 of the past 10 championships. Slacking for years.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:07 pm

You need to read the threads more fully before responding................That isn't what the original post and my response was about so you are injecting a completely separate issue unrelated..........NNELAX was making, what if's, to say that Duke should have had a wider margin of victory if they had done certain things which is bull. they didn't do those things. Someone else then commented if Virginia had not hit 3 pipes, then they win which is also BS. The margin is what it is, Duke made more plays. My response was to that specifically, nothing about the loss stinging or us brushing it off(it does sting)
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:14 am So I have to ask. Based on Duke > UVA and UVA > ND, what give you such confidence to go against the transitive law? Is it particular match-ups? Some kind of revenge factor?

P.S. Of course, I know that over the course of a season, the transitive law gets broken frequently, but absent other information that would be my starting point, especially with the results so recent. So, what is the other information?
I think ND probably beats Duke too, because they have recently done that, last season twice. All the intra-ACC results are mostly the same as last season so far with Syracuse giving Duke the most trouble (although Duke won this time in OT, which was the only change from last season). Duke could beat ND, but why not go with recent history?
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

The Duke roster looks like the CHSAA all-star team.Lars has only 2 from the league.Corrigan mines that rich vein of CHSAA talent as well as Danowski does.

While I certainly can't question the quality of his recruits,I do wish Lars would elbow J.D. out of the way a bit more up here on L.I.!
molo

Post by molo »

Time was UVA was heavy on LI and Baltimore but not so much anymore.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Cavs had a good stretch mining SE PA talent, seemed for a
time they were getting all the top guys — Moore, Aitken, Sallade,
Connors, Garno — if rumors are to be believed, they were in the
running to get Rambo —
don’t know if O’Neill talked to the Cavs once he de-committed
from Penn State.
molo

Post by molo »

Certainly have had some great Philly area players as Philly has surpassed Baltimore as a hotbed.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”