Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxbro11

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by laxbro11 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:44 am
Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)
Post by laxbro11 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:21 am

CU77 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:22 am
DocBarrister wrote: ↑Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm
I once took an advanced physics class (more of a theoretical mathematics class than anything else) with lots of grad students ... got a 5 out of a 100 on a test once. ...
How hard was Hopkins? My 5 out of a 100 was a passing grade, because the physics grad students could only pull the average up to 18.
As a teacher of physics myself, I must jump in here to say that this is evidence of either (1) bad exam design, or (2) an inability on the part of the instructor to teach the material. Neither possibility reflects well on Hopkins, I'm sorry to say.
At my time at Hopkins, most Lacrosse players were economic majors...That being said, the curriculum was challanging, but not to the extent of the med students. We were "guided" to the classes that were beneficial to us.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:34 am I sometimes wonder 'where' certain posters are coming from in their sharp critiques of players or coaches.

Some seem to get a thrill out of trolling.

I looked to see 11's 'history' and found a bunch of critiques of Hopkins and Petro, before turning on Loyola...some of those early posts were negative about Spencer...then one applauding a performance by Spencer...is he a Loyola alum, I wondered?

Then (bold is laxbro11):

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)
Post by laxbro11 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:21 am

CU77 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:22 am
DocBarrister wrote: ↑Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm
I once took an advanced physics class (more of a theoretical mathematics class than anything else) with lots of grad students ... got a 5 out of a 100 on a test once. ...
How hard was Hopkins? My 5 out of a 100 was a passing grade, because the physics grad students could only pull the average up to 18.
As a teacher of physics myself, I must jump in here to say that this is evidence of either (1) bad exam design, or (2) an inability on the part of the instructor to teach the material. Neither possibility reflects well on Hopkins, I'm sorry to say.
At my time at Hopkins, most Lacrosse players were economic majors...That being said, the curriculum was challanging, but not to the extent of the med students. We were "guided" to the classes that were beneficial to us.

So, when he asks whether, "we should just be happy with mediocrity"...understand that the "we" isn't as a Loyola alum. At least not according to this post...

Possible Loyola player dad or brother?...inquiring minds would want to know whether his critical comments are from a particular perspective.

Note, my bother-in-law played for Loyola back in the dark ages, I've had friends' kids play there, my son coached some camps for Toomey and liked him, but otherwise no particular affiliation other than as a Baltimorean who has been impressed by Toomey's seeming to find players others missed and getting a lot out of them and liking the venue and spirit of the student fans. But I don't have expectations of perennial Top 10 status, rather being occasionally in the hunt is impressive to me.
As a Hopkins alum, I bet LaxBro11 would love a coaching change at Loyola.
It explains all the trolling.
The Hounds have eaten the Jay's lunch for about a decade now.
Loyola is 7-2 Against Hopkins over the past 10 years.
What I see is Hopkins has righted the ship Made the changes needed to be competitive in an extremely competitive big 10
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

After losing to Army 10-5 on Saturday, it’s now been 39 days since the Greyhounds have played well. When you pull back farther, similarities between each of the last three seasons start to emerge. As ’21 and ’22 illustrated, the narrowest margins determine wildly different outcomes. Wins over Maryland and Hopkins will keep Loyola in the at-large bid conversation through the end of the season, but it won’t matter if they don’t start playing better.
Terry Foy
Seems similar to what I have been saying Trying to figure out why the lack of consistency
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:34 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:11 am
laxbro11 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:11 am Sorry to burst your bubble Kram, but I did not play for Vanarsdale, Toomey, Yes, I give my pros and cons base on what I see. I have no ax to grind I just give my perceptions and opinions and forward on others that have made comments, both the good and the bad.

When you hear that the coaches say, we did not play the right people last year, does that not concern anyone on this board? In my line of work you would not have a job very long if the expectation was to go to the playoffs and you end up 500. Remember this was the same team that was one bounce shot away from the final four in 2021.

So I spoke with and gathered evidence...But it seems you do not like hearing truth.

I hope that Coach Toomey is good to his word and plays the best, and not who you know. I am looking forward to the alumni weekend and getting back to campus
You know, I believe 100% that you didn’t play for Coach VanArsdale or Toomey.
Then you would be 100% wrong. I do not have to prove anything to you or anyone else. I just call it as I see it, both the good and the bad. It is too bad you cannot be objective when looking at the Greyhounds. As I have said before, these teams have had potential, they just have not lived up to that. I am hoping for a better year, and I think the SU and Villanova scrimmage will give us a good gauge of what to expect
So on Sept 29 2022 you say you played for Toomey.
Then on Mar 18, 2019 you said you went to school at Hopkins.
When and where did you play? When were you at JHU?
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

This is funny !
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Maryland currently down by 3 to Michigan with 3 minutes left in Q3.

Gonna need the terps to win this game to keep our at large hopes good
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:42 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:11 am Sorry to burst your bubble Kram, but I did not play for Vanarsdale, Toomey, Yes, I give my pros and cons base on what I see. I have no ax to grind I just give my perceptions and opinions and forward on others that have made comments, both the good and the bad.

When you hear that the coaches say, we did not play the right people last year, does that not concern anyone on this board? In my line of work you would not have a job very long if the expectation was to go to the playoffs and you end up 500. Remember this was the same team that was one bounce shot away from the final four in 2021.

So I spoke with and gathered evidence...But it seems you do not like hearing truth.

I hope that Coach Toomey is good to his word and plays the best, and not who you know. I am looking forward to the alumni weekend and getting back to campus
Then you would be 100% wrong. I do not have to prove anything to you or anyone else. I just call it as I see it, both the good and the bad. It is too bad you cannot be objective when looking at the Greyhounds. As I have said before, these teams have had potential, they just have not lived up to that. I am hoping for a better year, and I think the SU and Villanova scrimmage will give us a good gauge of what to expect
Looked for the so called Mar 18, 2019 post, Did not find it, did see the Sept 29, 2022 post though. DId play for Toomey, again sorry to burst your bubble, again. I have all the respect for Coach Toomey, he took care of me. He believes in his players. What I have seen is an insconsistant offense since Van Arsdale has taken over. He has solid pedigree, but Loyola may not be the right fit for him.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Interesting lineup changes. Heuston is starting over Higgins and Haberman is starting over Lindsey, according to the introductions at least.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

And somehow I missed Whitaker starting in cage. Second midfield has included Taylor and Murphy.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

GreyingHound wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:31 pm Interesting lineup changes. Heuston is starting over Higgins and Haberman is starting over Lindsey, according to the introductions at least.
Both dinged up a bit.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Houndfan73 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:02 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:31 pm Interesting lineup changes. Heuston is starting over Higgins and Haberman is starting over Lindsey, according to the introductions at least.
Both dinged up a bit.
Thanks. Higgins has played. Stoudt and Lindsey are not dressed. Most concerning is that Minicus was injured in the 4th quarter, and it doesn't look good. Based on the way he was holding his arm and the way they were working on him on the sideline, it looked to me like a dislocated/separated shoulder.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Great game by the freshmen. Haberman, McCullough and Minicus with 6 goals between them. Brutal first half though. That’s not going to work against good teams. Holy Cross is just terrible yet we’re in it in the first half. Wonder what the issue is with Staudt and Lindsay? Neither dressed. Higgins is clearly injured and not the same kid as he was the past two years. Poitras was very good also. James got his first goal in four games. Maybe this will rejuvenate him as this team really needs him.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

They played fine. First half shooting wasn't great but the HC goalie play was solid. I'd be surprised if Minicus didn't miss time with a shoulder injury.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:40 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:42 pm

Looked for the so called Mar 18, 2019 post, Did not find it, did see the Sept 29, 2022 post though. DId play for Toomey, again sorry to burst your bubble, again. I have all the respect for Coach Toomey, he took care of me. He believes in his players. What I have seen is an insconsistant offense since Van Arsdale has taken over. He has solid pedigree, but Loyola may not be the right fit for him.
The March 18, 2019 post was not at all hard to find:
Screenshot 2023-04-01 203422.png
Screenshot 2023-04-01 203422.png (30.42 KiB) Viewed 728 times
And here is a direct link to it: https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 402#p33402
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Back to the game yesterday, to be honest that’s not a bad holy cross team. They had some nice individual effort to score goals and they moved the ball around to get some looks. Credit to them as I think coach reppert is building a good culture. Even when they were losing their bench was loud, supportive and gave great energy to their guys on the field.

For loyola, there was a lot of different faces and the staff went deep into the bench. Interesting that Davis lindsey was out so this was the first game they played without an X attackman but they adjusted decently. Loved seeing najee Taylor get runs, he made a couple of mistakes due to game rust but he has some shake when dodging! Freeman got the start and did admirably, as some of the goals were hard to stop. Worried if minicus is injured for the navy game as it looks like his elbow/shoulder was hurt after the dive attempt
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Also on the goalie yesterday, someone please correct me but I believe staudt has two more years after this current season.

I remember reading in an interview he had an injury that kept him out for 18 weeks of his whole freshman year. If he does have another year, this would be huge as the close D loses a lot of experienced guys in 2024
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:12 am Also on the goalie yesterday, someone please correct me but I believe staudt has two more years after this current season.

I remember reading in an interview he had an injury that kept him out for 18 weeks of his whole freshman year. If he does have another year, this would be huge as the close D loses a lot of experienced guys in 2024
I'm pretty sure he only has 1 year left? Freshmen year was Covid & Soph year he was hurt but it was in the fall I believe.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:12 am Also on the goalie yesterday, someone please correct me but I believe staudt has two more years after this current season.

Staudt should be back.

I'd be shocked if Minicus played Friday. He didn't move his arm after getting hurt. They took him into the locker room and he came back out still not moving his arm.

Lindsey and Staudt were both on the sideline and both looked relatively fine so who knows. They need Staudt back bad. I liked Watkinson who played late. True freshman with quick hands in net.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CnyLax wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:39 am

I'm pretty sure he only has 1 year left? Freshmen year was Covid & Soph year he was hurt but it was in the fall I believe.
he was a 2020 hs graduate.
he played 0.00 minutes in games in 2021, so the only way he wouldn't have another year of eligibility is if he:
a) played in a spring semester scrimmage in 2021
and
b) did not suffer a substantial, year-ending injury for 2021

if either of those is the contra, he has another year.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:55 am

Staudt should be back.

I'd be shocked if Minicus played Friday. He didn't move his arm after getting hurt. They took him into the locker room and he came back out still not moving his arm.

Lindsey and Staudt were both on the sideline and both looked relatively fine so who knows. They need Staudt back bad. I liked Watkinson who played late. True freshman with quick hands in net.
As much as I like minicus’s game and how he’s fearless when trying to score, this was the one play I winced when he came up limping.

He’s the best finisher and acted as the QB with Davis out. His injury as of now comes with really bad timing as the team faces their next gauntlet of games against Navy, BU, Georgetown
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

CnyLax wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:39 am

His freshman year was 2021. Not COVID. unless he was hurt and red shirted he only has a year. He played last year which was his sophomore year. Only issue is whether he injury red shirted as a freshman. Heard Dixon red shirted last year and Mcgorry and Sullivan are redshirted for this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”