Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by molo »

Tinney was the team’s best player for three years in an era when they featured a number one recruit from the incomparable BL.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

molo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:24 pm Tinney was the team’s best player for three years in an era when they featured a number one recruit from the incomparable BL.
Wasn’t Ryan Brown and Wells on the team one of those three years?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

[flash=][/flash]
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:26 pm
molo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:24 pm Tinney was the team’s best player for three years in an era when they featured a number one recruit from the incomparable BL.
Yes. And I still agree with molo.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Would you now, even if not the top one, vote Hopkins in for one of the most surprising teams so far this season?
Typical Lax Dad

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:29 pm [flash=][/flash]
He was the best player on the 2015 team? Possibly. I liked Joel. He was a difference maker…..Ryan Brown was 61g/16a in 2015….
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Considering the Jays were unranked preseason and faced a daunting schedule, yes, Hopkins IS the most surprising team this season. Even Jays fans are surprised by the depth this team possesses and their culture change that gives them the confidence to close out games.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Once again the post game presser audio sounds like it was recorded at the bottom of the Harbor. Ernie I know you lurk here. Invest in a few decent mic’s and use them. If you need a few bucks I’ll start a campaign.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:37 pm Considering the Jays were unranked preseason and faced a daunting schedule, yes, Hopkins IS the most surprising team this season. Even Jays fans are surprised by the depth this team possesses and their culture change that gives them the confidence to close out games.
There is something to be said for teams taking on the coaches personality. This group seems much more relaxed in close games than any other version of the Jays in the last decade. I attribute that to the coaches. Petro was high strung and tightened up in close games. So did his teams
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:33 pm
He was the best player on the 2015 team? Possibly. I liked Joel. He was a difference maker…..Ryan Brown was 61g/16a in 2015….
That team was stacked (2 Stanwicks, Ryan Brown, Crawley, etc). But I don't think it was by accident that he took the shot at the end of the semifinals that might have sent them to the championship game if it weren't for the divine intervention of Kyle Bernlohr's butt-end.

"Best" is tough/ subjective. Most complete is easier. On any given day, Tinney could be the team's best dodger, shooter, feeder, clearing option, or even SSDM. He was unique.
Basement Bias

Post by Basement Bias »

Great win today for the program to get back in the direction we want to be in and belong.
Typical Lax Dad

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:42 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:33 pm
That team was stacked (2 Stanwicks, Ryan Brown, Crawley, etc). But I don't think it was by accident that he took the shot at the end of the semifinals that might have sent them to the championship game if it weren't for the divine intervention of Kyle Bernlohr's butt-end.

"Best" is tough/ subjective. Most complete is easier. On any given day, Tinney could be the team's best dodger, shooter, feeder, clearing option, or even SSDM. He was unique.
Joel wasn’t the #1 player on the opposing team’s scout. I thought he played to his ranking however. He was an excellent player. 2017 wasn’t great but he had a very good 2018.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:16 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:48 pm Scott Smith had the same amount of points as the "midseason AA" attackman he was covering today LOL

Haven't seen Sag A lately. Don't look now but the Fighting Nadelens are 2-7 after a loss to Stony Brook. Has a take ever aged as bad as that one? It has reached "transformational class" levels of bad. If he's smart (he's not), he won't show his face in here again.

A couple of other observations:
- Rutgers was 0-3 on the man-up
- Knobloch did not score after we finally put a pole on him but it took way too long for that to happen. Not really sure what the gameplan was there in the first half
- 2 goals and 2 CTs for Martin. Nice day at the office
- How long till English is on the first midfield? Do we even have a "first" midfield? Both lines play about equally and today the "seconds" were more productive
- We played 27 guys today and that was without Bauer, Chauvette, or Krampf. We can go even deeper if necessary
As guys like English emerge, will be interesting to see what Crawley does (if anything) with the lines. Maybe they like the idea of having a "big" line (Collison/ Grimes/ Peshko; which worked well against Michigan but not today) and a "small/quick" line (some combo of English/ Evans/ McDermott/ Bauer/ etc; which worked really well today)? By the 4Q today, that small line was on the field for the majority of the possessions. Whatever the mix, its clear that Crawley can recognize what's working and adapt mid-game.
Guys like bauer, krampf, english have mixed in at points but it's been clear all year they believe their top 6 offensive players are angelus degnon melendez peshko grimes and collison and that's not changing.

On the "change grimes body" they did that I think with connor desimone a few years ago and it threw him off from what I remember. He and peshko are not good ball handlers. They believe in their talent and upside and are willing to live with the turnovers and poor shooting at times for reasons like last weeks game.

Georgetown has come on big. We seem to have caught them early at the right time.

In fairness Nadelen was my choice for petros replacement as well as that other commenter someone mentioned. Such is life.

If you're on the mazone train watch early in the 4th at 1245 left. Stuffs a rutgers breakaway and then fights out a gb for about 15 seconds. Quite the addition.

More non offensive goals yesterday. Jay Dyer who I really went after must be doing his job.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:16 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:48 pm Scott Smith had the same amount of points as the "midseason AA" attackman he was covering today LOL

Haven't seen Sag A lately. Don't look now but the Fighting Nadelens are 2-7 after a loss to Stony Brook. Has a take ever aged as bad as that one? It has reached "transformational class" levels of bad. If he's smart (he's not), he won't show his face in here again.

- Knobloch did not score after we finally put a pole on him but it took way too long for that to happen. Not really sure what the gameplan was there in the first half
- How long till English is on the first midfield? Do we even have a "first" midfield? Both lines play about equally and today the "seconds" were more productive
- We played 27 guys today and that was without Bauer, Chauvette, or Krampf. We can go even deeper if necessary
As guys like English emerge, will be interesting to see what Crawley does (if anything) with the lines. Maybe they like the idea of having a "big" line (Collison/ Grimes/ Peshko; which worked well against Michigan but not today) and a "small/quick" line (some combo of English/ Evans/ McDermott/ Bauer/ etc; which worked really well today)? By the 4Q today, that small line was on the field for the majority of the possessions. Whatever the mix, its clear that Crawley can recognize what's working and adapt mid-game.
Guys like bauer, krampf, english have mixed in at points but it's been clear all year they believe their top 6 offensive players are angelus degnon melendez peshko grimes and collison and that's not changing.

On the "change grimes body" they did that I think with connor desimone a few years ago and it threw him off from what I remember. He and peshko are not good ball handlers. They believe in their talent and upside and are willing to live with the turnovers and poor shooting at times for reasons like last weeks game.

Georgetown has come on big. We seem to have caught them early at the right time.

In fairness Nadelen was my choice for petros replacement as well as that other commenter someone mentioned. Such is life.

If you're on the mazone train watch early in the 4th at 1245 left. Stuffs a rutgers breakaway and then fights out a gb for about 15 seconds. Quite the addition.

More non offensive goals yesterday. Jay Dyer who I really went after must be doing his job.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

First game I've been able to see live from beginning to end. I agree the McDermott goal was huge in the 3rd quarter to stem the Rutgers run. But with the game close the team didn't panic like it has in recent past years. Certainly a calmness about the team that someone is going to step up and make a play. In fact, the lede on Hopkinssports says "Blue Jay's follow familiar script" in win. That is pretty accurate.

The good...man that 1st quarter felt like old school 80s and early 90s lacrosse from both teams. For a second I thought Tony Seaman had been reinstalled as the coach. Fun to watch but got the feeling continuing to play like that would have played into Rutgers favor. The first goal by Scott on Smith yesterday was like Smith had been reading this boards recent comments on his AA potential. But he quickly righted the ship and shut Scott down.

Martin's second goal was a thing of beauty.

I've said this year was a key year for Millman in determining his coaching ability/future ands he's delivered. Team has really grown this year. Having more talent helps. Hopkins should be in good position for the tournament - one more win should do it but no reason to stop there. Saying that I don't think the team is quite to the level of UVA, ND, Duke or the like. But it's getting there.

We are on to Penn State.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

So - aside from the slight change that it was not the last home game - how was Senior Day? Appeared that they recognized the dumpster fire they created last year and went back to the standard pre game - walk out with family etc? PM does appear to learn from mistakes - this and prior examples like the quotes on Epstein which are now typical coach gobbledigook.

Marcille had some spectacular moments and some head scratchers - sometimes maddening to see someone who's probably 5'7" or 8" in his socks flop as a bouncer goes over his head and I think on Rutgers second goal he very well may have been a yard out side the crease - all for a high arc but that was a little much - but as long as the spectacular outweighs the head scratchers - this team will do well.

Not a great day off the ground but I think that was a reflection of how important this game was to Rutgers.

Aside from Knoblach - Scott had 1 goal as did Kulas - that's doing a pretty good job on the knowns. Four goals allowed after halftime - they keep finding ways.

You have to go back to the Delaware game to find a personal foul awarded to the other team and there were none in the Navy game before that. When McDermott got blown up in the back I was pretty sure that should have been a penalty.

Lots of little "intangible" baubles available if they win in Happy Valley next weekend. Most likely an at-large - a good hold on the BIG standings - Another huge game
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:40 amhow was Senior Day? Appeared that they recognized the dumpster fire they created last year and went back to the standard pre game - walk out with family etc? PM does appear to learn from mistakes - this and prior examples like the quotes on Epstein which are now typical coach gobbledigook.
Senior Day???? The pre-game press release made NO mention of Senior Day. I walked into Homewood Field when the seniors and parents were walking off. What the heck? Is today the last home game of the regular season???
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:27 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:40 amhow was Senior Day? Appeared that they recognized the dumpster fire they created last year and went back to the standard pre game - walk out with family etc? PM does appear to learn from mistakes - this and prior examples like the quotes on Epstein which are now typical coach gobbledigook.
Senior Day???? The pre-game press release made NO mention of Senior Day. I walked into Homewood Field when the seniors and parents were walking off. What the heck? Is today the last home game of the regular season???
It was on the schedule and all over social media. And no, we're back at Homewood in two weeks vs. Ohio State for Homecoming.
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:40 am So - aside from the slight change that it was not the last home game - how was Senior Day? Appeared that they recognized the dumpster fire they created last year and went back to the standard pre game - walk out with family etc? PM does appear to learn from mistakes - this and prior examples like the quotes on Epstein which are now typical coach gobbledigook.

Marcille had some spectacular moments and some head scratchers - sometimes maddening to see someone who's probably 5'7" or 8" in his socks flop as a bouncer goes over his head and I think on Rutgers second goal he very well may have been a yard out side the crease - all for a high arc but that was a little much - but as long as the spectacular outweighs the head scratchers - this team will do well.

Not a great day off the ground but I think that was a reflection of how important this game was to Rutgers.

Aside from Knoblach - Scott had 1 goal as did Kulas - that's doing a pretty good job on the knowns. Four goals allowed after halftime - they keep finding ways.

You have to go back to the Delaware game to find a personal foul awarded to the other team and there were none in the Navy game before that. When McDermott got blown up in the back I was pretty sure that should have been a penalty.

Lots of little "intangible" baubles available if they win in Happy Valley next weekend. Most likely an at-large - a good hold on the BIG standings - Another huge game
Wasn't there in person but saw some videos and looked like a nice tribute to the seniors. They also honored the grad students.

I don't know what his academic situation is or career goals are but Hawley appears to still have another year of eligibility if he wanted it and they were able figure out the paperwork given that he missed all of 2021 with an injury in addition to the Covid year. Would love to have that guy back but understand 6th years are rare.

There's a lot of lacrosse left to play but as things stand PM has to be on the short list for coach of the year. When the polls come out tomorrow morning you could have both Cornell and Hopkins in the top 5 — that's two different teams he's had a hand in recruiting/molding. Maybe the dude has some idea what he's doing?

Rooting for PSU today because after seeing how Michigan responded to us beating them, I think I'd rather play the Nits coming off a win. Lot of good teams in this conference who play their asses off.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:37 am Maybe the dude has some idea what he's doing?
Not possible. Just ask some of your fellow fair weather Hop "fans".

Better players, better results. It's nice to see some pep in the step of Hop fans after so many years.

Hoping us Syracuse fans get to do the same. But it takes time, patience, and better players to get there.

Best of luck the rest of the way. I'd imagine you'd agree, but there really aren't any 'sure things' in terms of who makes the Final Four.

Which will make both the conference tournaments, and the NCAA's...... absolute battles.....can't wait!
Last edited by a fan on Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:40 am Lots of little "intangible" baubles available if they win in Happy Valley next weekend. Most likely an at-large - a good hold on the BIG standings - Another huge game
I think we're getting close to a seed and a home game in the NCAA tourney - 1 more win and we're almost assured of an at-large, 2 ore more wins for a home game is my guess.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

they've been playing progressively more guys as the season's gone on. if that's translated into more minutes for 2nds at o and ssdm, it can only help especially if they produce. closing out games has been their thing.

thought i saw a decent amount of mixing on the 1sts, for peshko in particular.

somebody should send kulas a fruit basket. had 4 he could've canned in the 4th alone.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”