Midseason AA

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PulpExposure

Re: Midseason AA

Post by PulpExposure »

random observer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:02 pm If he's dinged up he's dinged up, but AA voting isn't on projecting players at full strength, it's about what happens on the field. If it's a minor thing he's got plenty of season to prove that game was an aberration. At this point, I'd say on merit Naso has been just a hair better. But it's razor thin margins and you could make a compelling case for either of them.
Understand what you're saying. But exactly - I'd say his 64% overall FO percentage tells you that was an aberration. Curious to see how Naso does against LaSalla on Friday.
Finster

Post by Finster »

random observer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:02 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:57 pm
random observer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:17 pm I meant Albany. Wires got crossed with Callahan and Endres both being FOGOs from Victor (although coincidentally Hopkins was one of the few teams that held Wierman to under 50% last year).
Yeah he was 13-28 vs. Albany, but he was clearly dinged up if you watched the game (and have seen him play as much as us Terp fans have). And was missing Geppert who is an absolute ground ball monster on faceoffs. Yet he still nearly went 50%. Oh well. You're right in that he was sub 50% but there were mitigating factors there for sure.
If he's dinged up he's dinged up, but AA voting isn't on projecting players at full strength, it's about what happens on the field. If it's a minor thing he's got plenty of season to prove that game was an aberration. At this point, I'd say on merit Naso has been just a hair better. But it's razor thin margins and you could make a compelling case for either of them.

Let’s seee what transpires tomorrow at UVA before crowning Jake first team AA.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:53 pm
random observer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:17 pm I meant Albany. Wires got crossed with Callahan and Endres both being FOGOs from Victor (although coincidentally Hopkins was one of the few teams that held Wierman to under 50% last year).
Yeah he was 13-28 vs. Albany, but he was clearly dinged up if you watched the game (and have seen him play as much as us Terp fans have). And was missing Geppert who is an absolute ground ball monster on faceoffs. Yet he still nearly went 50%. Oh well. You're right in that he was sub 50% but there were mitigating factors there for sure.
If he's dinged up he's dinged up, but AA voting isn't on projecting players at full strength, it's about what happens on the field. If it's a minor thing he's got plenty of season to prove that game was an aberration. At this point, I'd say on merit Naso has been just a hair better. But it's razor thin margins and you could make a compelling case for either of them.
Personally, I’m in the Naso camp right now.
He convinced me where he took it to Zach Cole last game.
He’s got LaSalla on the schedule twice - and really, seems to me
Naso is looking at going even at the draw against LaSalla.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:53 pm

We're only halfway through the season; by definition, nobody is crowning anybody yet. The whole point of this thread is to make judgments based on what's happened so far.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:48 am Brower and/or Stephenson will be on it at year end
Lars stated that he suspects Brower could cover Shellenberger tomorrow and Duke will effectively face guard Cormier and Dickson. If they actually do that, and there is no guarantee, will be an interesting 1v1 matchup. Hope Brower is very mobile.
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

I just finished watching Maryland V Penn State.. if people want to call Brett Makar a first team AA then why isn't TJ Malone? Malone cleanly beat Makar twice for a goal, including making him fall over his own net. Malone goes seriously under the radar.
jff97

Actual List from Inside Lacrosse

Post by jff97 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -way/61075
Thoughts? My only one is I wonder what Zappitello will have to do to get on the First Team.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:58 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:41 am Campbell plays attack, but Villanova still labels him as a midfielder in the box score so he gets 1st team AA recognition. The old Connor Kelly trick.
I still think he’s still a midfielder, its just Villanova doesn’t have all that much in terms of distributors.
He plays up top almost exclusively.

Campbell is easily the best player on that team, they need him
on the field, so whether that constitutes some sort of positionsl
jury-rigging on the part of the Villanova coaches - sure, why not.

I guess the Kelly comparison is valid, though Kelly had better dodging ability.
I think the better comparison is Handley, physical, can distribute
the ball, power dodges from up top, draws the top defender,
has a hammer of a shot.
Isn’t Handley listed as a middie?
“I wish you would!”
random observer

Re: Actual List from Inside Lacrosse

Post by random observer »

jff97 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:10 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -way/61075
Thoughts? My only one is I wonder what Zappitello will have to do to get on the First Team.
Lots of competition for defensive spots this year. You could make a case that the second team defense is just as good as the first team.

Definitely some guys on this list because of what they did last year. Graham Bundy is on this list as an HM midfielder in spite of the fact that:
1. Brian Minicus (not on this list) has been the Hoyas' best midfielder this year
2. Bundy has only played midfield for one game (the opener against Hopkins).
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Leadmon has put it together n is a brute , he should land somewhere on AA list. Dordevic is playing attack but he is the most uncoverable mid in game
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

Laxfanatic2022 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:49 pm I just finished watching Maryland V Penn State.. if people want to call Brett Makar a first team AA then why isn't TJ Malone? Malone cleanly beat Makar twice for a goal, including making him fall over his own net. Malone goes seriously under the radar.
This is nonsense. He didn’t make Makar trip. Makar expected his teammate to switch with him on a pick behind the net and his teammate didn’t, so Makar basically tried to jump across the back of the net to stop Malone. Obviously it didn’t work. Either way he held Malone to 2 and 1. Makar won the matchup.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:11 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:41 am Campbell plays attack, but Villanova still labels him as a midfielder in the box score so he gets 1st team AA recognition. The old Connor Kelly trick.
I still think he’s still a midfielder, its just Villanova doesn’t have all that much in terms of distributors.

has a hammer of a shot.
IL has Handley listed as midfield.
They’re showing Matt Campbell as 1st team hybrid
attack/middie.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

jff97 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:10 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -way/61075
You’d have to swap out Owen Grant,

which, if the Hens don’t make any noise at the end of the year,
I’d expect Zappitello to get that slot.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:54 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:11 pm

has a hammer of a shot.
IL has Handley listed as midfield.
There showing Matt Campbell as 1st team hybrid
attack/middie.
OK...Handley is sometimes last man out of the box. He plays midfield.
“I wish you would!”
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Guess we can hold off on crowning Naso…
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Put St. Anthony's or Darien on his high school transcript
Finster

Post by Finster »

PulpExposure wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:29 pm Guess we can hold off on crowning Naso…

It was premature, but I understand the rationale. They were saying ‘through games before this weekend’.

After this weekend, I’d say Lasalla is a good bet. Maryland’s Weirman lost his battle again.
suitcase10

Post by suitcase10 »

I think leadmon from Duke and Dobson from
ND will be in the discussion for 1st or 2nd team AA

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”