Re: Duke at UVA Friday March 31 5 pm

Post by Matnum PI »

8-6. HT...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

zinn's been great for transition and clearing.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

cormier takes aren't aging well short term. not going thru #1 more is perplexing.

o'neill's having a day. less duke unbroken & transition please.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

UVA needs to replace #11
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

"Not for nuttin'", but has O'Neill ended up on his @$$ after even one of his goals?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:27 pm "Not for nuttin'", but has O'Neill ended up on his @$$ after even one of his goals?
sallade's a strong guy and tried to move him off the shot and plant him and o'neill just shot thru him.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Swiss cheese D by UVA d matched by late slides and dumb penalties by Duke d
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

2 canadiens have 3 pipes on wide open goals. shellenberger's been hobbling all quarter. uva getting frazzled defensively.

they get what they want on offense mostly, but not cashing enough to keep up.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

UVA d reminds me of saying that everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:19 pm cormier takes aren't aging well short term. not going thru #1 more is perplexing.

o'neill's having a day. less duke unbroken & transition please.
Yeah,
he takes the lead for Player of the Year after this game.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

death and taxes.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

2 things drive me crazy: Dano’s DARPA mind-meld of this series and playing Duke in the rain…

Owned once again…Someday the George McFly’s will rise again. Until then…
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

stupefied wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:42 pm UVA d reminds me of saying that everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth
Well they certainly punched ND in the mouth…
molo

Post by molo »

Despite the relatively close score,Duke just looked better all afternoon. Shellenberger did seem to be limping a little.
O’Neill was in T form.
The good news is that the teams meet again. Lars advocates learning from losses. Plenty of teachable moments after this one.
I hope Cormier’s dad made the 10 hour drive. His boy was a bright spot in the rain.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:52 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:19 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:47 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:09 pm Last yr 17-6 Duke. 17-12 In faceoffs-Va. Naso had 12 gbs 39-30 Duke in gbs. Va rarely loses the gb game. Nunes did play well in SouthBend week. I’m a little hard on him because he has more than a few games at 40% sv avg. Last week he was at 58%, so good for him ! He showed up big time.
he showed up in the terp game, too. is there a goalie that doesn't have games in the 40s? nunes actually just has 3 this year. and one of those was @ .455, not 40. and that one was 15-3 after a little over a quarter. the others were a 4-5 goal game and a 5-7 goal game in their favor. not exactly relevant.
You think he played well vs Maryland? He was not seeing it vs the Terps. Va is a top3 team. If there are some flaws, inconsistency in the cage is one of them. Let’s see how he does this weekend vs ONeil & Co. i would just like to see him a little tighter on shots from 12 & out. He played well vs ND ! Can he follow that up vs Duke?
i agree with one thing, he wasn't seeing it @ times. that's because 7 goals came on the crease (4 from ssdm's guarding hoo didn't lay a hand on the shooter) and @ least 3 goals where uva's own d-men screened the shooter. he actually made saves on some free hand crease shots as the game wore on. and maybe 2 of the screened goals he had a chance on, but it's a difficult save when u can't track anything until it's on its way.

double digit or thereabouts good looks @ crease shots mostly unabated is way high. the d needs to clean that up. it's why uva has goalies saving at under 39% against them right now, they're not often saved and the hoos get shots on the crease. his own guys also shouldn't be screening him multiple times per game, don't know if that was an outlier.

umd also painted 2 top corners early on bounce shots, one of which he had a chance on as it was 12-13 yds and he almost got to it.

so 2 goals that i'd *expect* him to make saves, and one of those wasn't a piece of cake. in between all that, he made 15 saves, some excellent, including high bouncers off hard pan and as i said... on the crease. thought it was a great bounce back game for him after a couple subpar outings.

shorties playing tougher while inverted, d not giving up crease or screening nunes would go a long way. plus, i don't understand us hedging inside while adjacent on x dodges leaving the wing wide open for easy stepdowns (i.e. kelly in ot, kavanaugh to start out vs nd). hopefully, they're making adjustments. would like to see them taking better approaches on step down shooters, too, and eat some shots. the terps know how to do it, they probably ate about 3 or 4 great looks.

big game and monkey to scrape off the back today.
He was 48% tonight. But, I don’t see any blame on this game in Nunes. With this insane record vs the two. This slide package is a joke Vs Duke. Reading a book will not cure this problem.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Shellenberger is excellent, but he sure gets shut alot by top defenders
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Crazy how much O’Neill found himself matched up against shorties. That’s just unfair.
molo

Post by molo »

Six quiet points in the team’s two losses. Erased by Zappitello against Maryland and picked up three assists—I think all on EM0—today, when he appeared to be favoring a leg.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

keno in reno wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:36 pm Shellenberger is excellent, but he sure gets shut alot by top defenders
he's fine, he was banged up, at least in the 2nd half and maybe before. his shooting hasn't been there consistently since middle of last year, and i'm sure he'd ike to pick that up.

larger concern is they have a tough slate still to come and whether whatever he has lingers.
lilax

Post by lilax »

UVA did not seem prepared for Leadmon and Danenza.

O’Neill will deservedly get the headlines. But the 2 middies demanded slides and got the defense rotating a lot.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”