Re: Midseason AA

Post by DocBarrister »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:59 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:52 pm
Finster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:41 pm
Lack of humor ✅
Finster,

Enlightening!

So the local legal secretary seems to agree that at least some Hopkins fans probably have psychological problems and we don't want to offend them.

:lol:

Interested in hearing what the diagnosis is for being a self-proclaimed expert in everything and taking oneself waaaay too seriously?

They’ll regulate humor out of the discourse, eventually.

A little light hearted commentary by me, where in a thread which simply says ‘Midseason AA’, I chuckled that a Hop fan would feel the need to insert a Hopkins-only AA list.

I mean, c’mon. :lol:
What Makes Nervous Laughter Adaptive

In the highly regarded A Brief Tour of Human Consciousness (2005), neuroscientist V. S. Ramachandran, Ph.D., argues that nervous laughter can be viewed as a defense mechanism employed to protect a person from being overcome with anxiety. In short, it’s a form of emotional regulation that upholds one’s cognitive functioning in the face of a perturbing situation.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... ervous?amp

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
random observer

Post by random observer »

PulpExposure wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:53 pm
random observer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:48 pmWiremen was also beaten by the Hopkins duo
When was that? Because uh...Maryland hasn't played Hopkins yet this year.
I meant Albany. Wires got crossed with Callahan and Endres both being FOGOs from Victor (although coincidentally Hopkins was one of the few teams that held Wierman to under 50% last year).
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:13 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:58 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:41 am Campbell plays attack, but Villanova still labels him as a midfielder in the box score so he gets 1st team AA recognition. The old Connor Kelly trick.
I still think he’s still a midfielder, its just Villanova doesn’t have all that much in terms of distributors.
He plays up top almost exclusively.

Campbell is easily the best player on that team, they need him
on the field, so whether that constitutes some sort of positionsl
jury-rigging on the part of the Villanova coaches - sure, why not.

I guess the Kelly comparison is valid, though Kelly had better dodging ability.
I think the better comparison is Handley, physical, can distribute
the ball, power dodges from up top, draws the top defender,
has a hammer of a shot.
He plays every single offensive possession though, so, statistically, it makes more sense to compare him to attackmen rather than true midfielders who are only out there for half or slightly more than half of possessions.

BTW, a lot of attackmen primarily dodge and initiate from up top these days. That alone doesn't necessarily make someone a midfielder IMO.

"Tapped Potential: Villanova's Matt Campbell Lets His Play Do the Talking"
Inside Lacrosse by Matt Kinnear
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... king/61053
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:58 pm
Finster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:41 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:56 pm
Finster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:08 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:29 am For Johns Hopkins only:

Alex Mazzone (LSM) 3rd team AA

Jacob Angelus (A) Honorable Mention AA

Garrett Degnon (A) Honorable Mention AA

Tim Marcille (G) Honorable Mention AA

Scott V. Smith (D) Honorable Mention AA

DocBarrister

If I was a young kid again, back in college, I’d beg my Psych professor to let me do a study on John’s Hopkins lacrosse fans, probably narrowing it down to the Fanlax forum Hop fans. This could be published by Psychology Today. I’d be invited on all the morning talk shows to discuss what I found.

Tell me the results wouldn’t be fascinating. :ugeek: :ugeek:
Do you have any comments on the players above or are you sticking to your meaningless babble?

DocBarrister 8-)

Lack of humor ✅
Got it. Meaningless babble.

By the way, although I have never had a psychological problem as a health issue, I have loved ones and close friends who do.

Joking about psychological problems isn’t “humor.”

Just thought you should know.

DocBarrister
Lighten up Frances......... Almost everyone loved his retort but you trying to make something to be taken serious, that was clearly not intended to be.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DocBarrister
Doc, I remember the Cornell 1976 Cornell team for which every starter was an All-America selection. When was the last time the BlueJays had 5 All Americas on its team?
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

molo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:47 amMine are alpha.
slim reaper? Guess he isn't the number 1 guy.
molo

Post by molo »

I meant that I listed my picks alphabetically by position. I couldn’t undertake doing two more teams and HM, but I’ll hazard a guess as to which UVA players would receive some AA recognition beyond the ones I had on my first team.
ATTACK
Dickson, Cormier
MIDFIELD
LaSalla, Conner
DEFENSE
Costner, Saustad.
Dark horses might be Sallade and Schutz.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

molo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:49 pm I meant that I listed my picks alphabetically by position. I couldn’t undertake doing two more teams and HM, but I’ll hazard a guess as to which UVA players would receive some AA recognition beyond the ones I had on my first team.
ATTACK
Dickson, Cormier
MIDFIELD
LaSalla, Conner
DEFENSE
Costner, Saustad.
No McConvey? No Schutz?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

molo

Post by molo »

I had McConvey on my first team and Schutz as a dark horse.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:31 pm

DocBarrister
Doc, I remember the Cornell 1976 Cornell team for which every starter was an All-America selection. When was the last time the BlueJays had 5 All Americas on its team?
When was the last time we had one?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Finster

Post by Finster »

blue angels wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:37 pm
molo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:49 pm I meant that I listed my picks alphabetically by position. I couldn’t undertake doing two more teams and HM, but I’ll hazard a guess as to which UVA players would receive some AA recognition beyond the ones I had on my first team.
ATTACK
Dickson, Cormier
MIDFIELD
LaSalla, Conner
DEFENSE
Costner, Saustad.
No McConvey? No Schutz?

You want the 5th leading scorer on UVA to be AA First Team? Whose PPG is ranked #174 nationally?

Dude.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Biggest Storylines Halfway Through the Division I Men's Lacrosse Season
1 and 2. Payton Cormier and Xander Dickson

Virginia’s top two goal-scorers are both shooting better than 50 percent. Cormier, who stitched together the fifth 50-goal season in Cavaliers history in 2022, has deposited 23 goals in six games while missing two outings because of injury. Dickson, a midfielder for much of his career, is thriving on attack and has 32 goals to go with eight assists.

Cormier and Dickson are an example of the abundance of riches that dot Virginia’s offensive personnel. A finisher like Cormier might not be among the first two or three names that come to mind when the Cavaliers are discussed, but he’ll probably manage at least a hat trick each game. Dickson is a fine player who waited until his fifth year in Charlottesville to truly snag the spotlight.

Both are made better by the presence of fellow attackman Connor Shellenberger, but they are central figures in Virginia’s 7-1 start. It’s the other end of the field that has kept Maryland relevant, and that starts with …

3 and 4. Brett Makar and Ajax Zappitello

After two years of overwhelming opponents with offenses led by Tewaaraton winners, Maryland is back to its roots under John Tillman. Its strength is its defense, and it starts with Makar (back for a fifth year as a grad student) and Zappitello, a junior who blossomed last season and might be the country’s top defenseman.

Both were especially sharp in a March 18 victory at Virginia to help deliver the Terrapins a signature victory, and they were vital in limiting Penn State to one goal in the final 29:22 last week in the Big Ten opener for both teams.

There is credit to go around on Maryland’s defense. To freshman goalie Brian Ruppel, who has ably taken over for the injured Logan McNaney. To long pole John Geppert, for years a do-everything sort for the Terps. And to Luke Wierman, who has won 64.1 percent of his faceoffs a year after emerging as a dominant force at the X. As for the faceoff man making the biggest difference, it could be …

joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:48 am

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
Rabil?
Gobigred
Joewillie78
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:48 am

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

"Senior midfielder Joel Tinney earned first-team honors, while junior defenseman Patrick Foley was named to the third team. Additionally, all three of Johns Hopkins' starting attackmen—senior Shack Stanwick, junior Kyle Marr, and sophomore Cole Williams—received honorable mention recognition."

Source: https://hub.jhu.edu/2018/05/25/hopkins- ... americans/
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Joey Epstein was a 3rd team USILA AA in 2019. Either way it's been too long. Jays should get a couple on there this year, Mazzone the most likely IMO.

O'Neill, Kirst, and Shellenberger are my top three attackmen right now. I'd put Pat Kavanagh on the 2nd team. He's averaging 8 points per game against opponents outside the top 20 (Marquette, Cleveland State, Michigan) but just 3.5 pts against teams in the top 20 (GTown, Maryland, OSU, UVA). More than a fifth of his total points came in that one early-season game against Cleveland State. I realize he's facing a lot of top defensemen but if you want to be 1st team AA you've got to produce more in your bigger games, IMO. Compare that to someone like Brennan O'Neill who's averaging 5.2 pts per game against top 20 opponents. He's had at least 5 pts in all those games except one — a measly hat trick on four shots vs. Loyola.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:14 pm
blue angels wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:37 pm
ATTACK
Dickson, Cormier
MIDFIELD
LaSalla, Conner
DEFENSE
Costner, Saustad.
No McConvey? No Schutz?

You want the 5th leading scorer on UVA to be AA First Team? Whose PPG is ranked #174 nationally?

Dude.
Go back and read Molo's post above to which I was actually responding. perhaps, it will make more sense to you. I wasn't talking about 1st team.
random observer

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:24 pm Joey Epstein was a 3rd team USILA AA in 2019. Either way it's been too long. Jays should get a couple on there this year, Mazzone the most likely IMO.

O'Neill, Kirst, and Shellenberger are my top three attackmen right now. I'd put Pat Kavanagh on the 2nd team. He's averaging 8 points per game against opponents outside the top 20 (Marquette, Cleveland State, Michigan) but just 3.5 pts against teams in the top 20 (GTown, Maryland, OSU, UVA). More than a fifth of his total points came in that one early-season game against Cleveland State. I realize he's facing a lot of top defensemen but if you want to be 1st team AA you've got to produce more in your bigger games, IMO. Compare that to someone like Brennan O'Neill who's averaging 5.2 pts per game against top 20 opponents. He's had at least 5 pts in all those games except one — a measly hat trick on four shots vs. Loyola.
To be fair to Kavanagh, top 20 opponent is a good measure of quality of opposition, but it's not perfect. Georgetown (Bowen), Maryland (Makar & Zapitello), OSU (Van Buren & Hudgens), and UVA (Kaestner & Saustad) all have better poles than anyone that O'Neill has gone up against. If I was building a short list of guys to consider for first and second team AA at close defense, it's pretty much Adler and then all of those guys (and Owen Grant from Delaware).
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

random observer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:17 pm I meant Albany. Wires got crossed with Callahan and Endres both being FOGOs from Victor (although coincidentally Hopkins was one of the few teams that held Wierman to under 50% last year).
Yeah he was 13-28 vs. Albany, but he was clearly dinged up if you watched the game (and have seen him play as much as us Terp fans have). And was missing Geppert who is an absolute ground ball monster on faceoffs. Yet he still nearly went 50%. Oh well. You're right in that he was sub 50% but there were mitigating factors there for sure.
random observer

PulpExposure wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:57 pm
random observer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:17 pm I meant Albany. Wires got crossed with Callahan and Endres both being FOGOs from Victor (although coincidentally Hopkins was one of the few teams that held Wierman to under 50% last year).
Yeah he was 13-28 vs. Albany, but he was clearly dinged up if you watched the game (and have seen him play as much as us Terp fans have). And was missing Geppert who is an absolute ground ball monster on faceoffs. Yet he still nearly went 50%. Oh well. You're right in that he was sub 50% but there were mitigating factors there for sure.
If he's dinged up he's dinged up, but AA voting isn't on projecting players at full strength, it's about what happens on the field. If it's a minor thing he's got plenty of season to prove that game was an aberration. At this point, I'd say on merit Naso has been just a hair better. But it's razor thin margins and you could make a compelling case for either of them.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”