NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: NESCAC

Post by Laxxal22 »

Thanks Dinah. Definitely some thoughts I hadn't considered.
Dinah

Post by Dinah »

Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:58 am Thanks Dinah. Definitely some thoughts I hadn't considered.
Your point on lacrosse certainly still holds. The eye test would say that Middlebury is on the upswing, and I have heard strong endorsements on the overall direction of the program (talent, culture, etc.). That's been a bit of steady refrain in years past, though, so we'll see where the rest of the year (and beyond) shakes out for them. For now, just great to see one more top-tier team in the best league in DIII!
BallBag

Post by BallBag »

Dinah wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:12 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:58 am Thanks Dinah. Definitely some thoughts I hadn't considered.
Your point on lacrosse certainly still holds. The eye test would say that Middlebury is on the upswing, and I have heard strong endorsements on the overall direction of the program (talent, culture, etc.). That's been a bit of steady refrain in years past, though, so we'll see where the rest of the year (and beyond) shakes out for them. For now, just great to see one more top-tier team in the best league in DIII!
Although the NESCAC is a great league, not sure how you can say it is "the best" league currently. That would mean you would have National Champions within the past three(3) years.... If I remember correctly, it was an all Liberty League Final last year
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

BallBag wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:28 pm
Although the NESCAC is a great league, not sure how you can say it is "the best" league currently. That would mean you would have National Champions within the past three(3) years.... If I remember correctly, it was an all Liberty League Final last year

... based on BallBag's criteria for determining strength of league.
Dinah

Post by Dinah »

By my count, a NESCAC team has appeared in 12 of 22 national championship games since the year 2000, winning 7 (3 unique teams with a win, 4 unique teams appearing), while also generally (and I would argue consistently) boasting the deepest pool of talented teams relative to other leagues across the country. There just aren't other leagues going 4-deep on NCAA bids on as regular a basis as the NESCAC, at times with a team or two on top of those having a fairly reasonable argument that they got snubbed.

There are years past where an all NESCAC championship game would have certainly been a possibility, but that is almost never going to play out due to how the bracket is structured. The Liberty League was phenomenal last year, no two ways around it - that's great for DIII lacrosse! But until they're doing it in the way the NESCAC has, for as long as the NESCAC has, I don't see how you can call it a better league. And yes, I'm absolutely biased, and at the end of the day this is a subjective point. But in my eyes the NESCAC is the SEC of DIII lacrosse - it just means more.
BallBag

Post by BallBag »

Dinah wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:48 pm
By my count, a NESCAC team has appeared in 12 of 22 national championship games since the year 2000, winning 7 (3 unique teams with a win, 4 unique teams appearing), while also generally (and I would argue consistently) boasting the deepest pool of talented teams relative to other leagues across the country. There just aren't other leagues going 4-deep on NCAA bids on as regular a basis as the NESCAC, at times with a team or two on top of those having a fairly reasonable argument that they got snubbed.

There are years past where an all NESCAC championship game would have certainly been a possibility, but that is almost never going to play out due to how the bracket is structured. The Liberty League was phenomenal last year, no two ways around it - that's great for DIII lacrosse! But until they're doing it in the way the NESCAC has, for as long as the NESCAC has, I don't see how you can call it a better league. And yes, I'm absolutely biased, and at the end of the day this is a subjective point. But in my eyes the NESCAC is the SEC of DIII lacrosse - it just means more.
Hahaha...touche... All good. I know the NESCAC is great league and a perennial power, but as a big fan of DIII lacrosse, I am happy to see the other teams from different leagues making an impact. IMO I would say its NESCAC and Liberty and then everyone else. I am sure many will disagree. What do I know, I am just some loser lax fan. LOL
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

It is hard to call one league better than the other. I think what seperates the NESCAC from most (not all) is it consistently has the most parity meaning any team could beat any other team on any given day. Not the case this year but in years past, that has been true.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:54 am I defy you to name 1 D3 school that has the budget, resources, size, academic prestige, location, and exposure that Tufts has. Just one.
I think location is generally overrated when considering who is able to recruit in D-III. That said - schools like RIT, RPI, Stevens, are large universities located close to cities with good undergrad academics, tons of graduate programs, and plenty of brand awareness. Gettysburg is all of that except for the grad programs. There are plenty of other schools that fit some, if not all of those categories. As JumboFan4 (I know, I know) mentioned, I think this also underrates the rest of the NESCAC/over-explains why Tufts lacrosse is so good. Tufts has dominated men's lacrosse for the past decade...but that's the only sport they do this in. Their soccer team won multiple titles under the former coach, but he's now at Harvard and they finished 7th this season. Hockey finished 6th, basketball finished 5th, football finished 3rd. They're definitely in a much more favorable position for athletic growth than a school like Colby, but that doesn't guarantee success. Their lacrosse program is just extremely well-run, and has been under both Daly and D'Annolfo.
InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:43 am I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. However it is fair to say that Tufts literally gets better players year after year than everyone in D3.
#1 class...every single season? Come on. Without having actual recruiting rankings/in-depth player tracking like D-I, I'm not sure how it's possible to make an authoritative claim about this. I'd believe that they're recruiting at a top five level every season, just like RIT/Salisbury/etc. are.
Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:33 am Most impressive thing Tufts has done in my opinion is somehow having cool looking uniforms despite having to incorporate the color brown.
Finally - something that everyone can agree with.
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:53 am
UpperCorner22 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:58 am Sorry to interrupt the Tufts Chat Room, but...

Chris Newport 14 - Williams 8
Amherst 17 - WNE 9
Trinity 9 - Coast Guard 8

Thoughts?
About what expected with the Amherst score. Coast Guard isn't very good this year, nice for Trinity to get a close win, most of the games they do manage to win this year will probably not be competitive (though Colby should be a good game). Williams was within 1 at the end of the 3rd before CNU put a few in in the 4th. Much more competitive than last year on an extremely long road trip. Good for them for scheduling that game. Tufts-Midd, Bowdoin-Amherst looks like great games on Saturday and will go a long way towards determining tourney seeding.
Williams hanging tough with the #1 team in the country is no small feat. Coast Guard is really down this year, and lost to Wesleyan by 18 which obviously does not bode well for Trinity. Would have thought the score would have been a bit more lopsided in the Amherst game, but they obviously had the game in hand.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

While I respect Jack Boyton abilities - one of the things I noticed was that he is all right which might explain why he only had four points against Union. Want to get other peoples opinions if there were other players that used mainly one hand and what other abilities contributed to their dominance in the game?
lilax

Post by lilax »

The12lov3 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:44 pm While I respect Jack Boyton abilities - one of the things I noticed was that he is all right which might explain why he only had four points against Union. Want to get other peoples opinions if there were other players that used mainly one hand and what other abilities contributed to their dominance in the game?
RIT has won the last 2 national championships with 1 handed players. Many of those players were named AA's.

Boyden is very good and is one of the top players in the country.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

lilax wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:56 pm [quote=The12lov3 post_id=448041 time=<a href="tel:1680209097">1680209097</a> user_id=2562]
While I respect Jack Boyton abilities - one of the things I noticed was that he is all right which might explain why he only had four points against Union. Want to get other peoples opinions if there were other players that used mainly one hand and what other abilities contributed to their dominance in the game?
RIT has won the last 2 national championships with 1 handed players. Many of those players were named AA's.

Boyden is very good and is one of the top players in the country.
[/quote]

When you “force him left”

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqGeDqv ... MyMTA2M2Y=

When you play this style growing up you get pretty good at setting yourself up off ball in dangerous spots. Comes from years and years
Of practice, like anything. I feel like RIT thrives in picking/cutting situations and do a great job generating odd numbers in transition and the substitution game.
ergit

Post by ergit »

The12lov3 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:44 pm While I respect Jack Boyton abilities - one of the things I noticed was that he is all right which might explain why he only had four points against Union. Want to get other peoples opinions if there were other players that used mainly one hand and what other abilities contributed to their dominance in the game?
Honestly, I think you are reading too much into it. Results speak for themselves.
tiger_fan

Post by tiger_fan »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:54 am
The12lov3 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:48 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:43 am
ah23 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:01 am
beantown_lax879 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:42 pm I count zero wins since Daly left.
So...you count two losses in the national semifinals to the eventual national champion? Geez, Tufts should really move on and find a coach who knows how to win! :roll:

Tufts is 90-14 with D'Annolfo as HC. 90-14! If not winning a title means a coach is a failure, then sure. I just don't think that's a very good way to look at this.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. However it is fair to say that Tufts literally gets better players year after year than everyone in D3. They have a full fledge Nike contract better than most Ivys. More academic, admissions, and financial support than every peer school of theirs by a significant margin. When D’Annolfo took over Tufts had been to 3 out of the last 4 national championships. They haven’t been to one since.

It’s like taking Alabama footballs roster for the last 8 years and never making a national championship. Only imagine if Alabama was one of the only schools spending that amount of money to win. That’s essentially what Tufts is.
Tufts get better players because of the coach and the ability to sell the player and the family on the school. Yes he has not been to NC but it takes time even for new coaches that inherit top programs to make it. The 2020 team was pretty special to have the season cut short. To be honest, most programs go to turd after the coach leaves but that has not been the case with Tufts. He get better athlete because of his ability to spot and DEVELOP talent. Jack Boyten is a great example. He developed him into the player that he is and who is arguable the best player at the division 3 level in the country. Yes I said that. There are plenty of schools that have the resources, academics, and location Tufts has and they are NOT perennial d3 powerhouses year in and year out for the last decade. D'Annolfo took the Tafts team from one of the worst teams to one of the best teams in the country. He is a great coach and will eventually prove it to all you naysayers
I defy you to name 1 D3 school that has the budget, resources, size, academic prestige, location, and exposure that Tufts has. Just one. Tufts just flipped a kid from Ohio State, show me 1 D3 school that has the brand capable of doing that.
Sounds like you are saying Tufts should go D1 in Lacrosse like Hobart.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

tiger_fan wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:37 pm
beantown_lax879 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:42 pm I count zero wins since Daly left.
So...you count two losses in the national semifinals to the eventual national champion? Geez, Tufts should really move on and find a coach who knows how to win! :roll:

Tufts is 90-14 with D'Annolfo as HC. 90-14! If not winning a title means a coach is a failure, then sure. I just don't think that's a very good way to look at this.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. However it is fair to say that Tufts literally gets better players year after year than everyone in D3. They have a full fledge Nike contract better than most Ivys. More academic, admissions, and financial support than every peer school of theirs by a significant margin. When D’Annolfo took over Tufts had been to 3 out of the last 4 national championships. They haven’t been to one since.

It’s like taking Alabama footballs roster for the last 8 years and never making a national championship. Only imagine if Alabama was one of the only schools spending that amount of money to win. That’s essentially what Tufts is.
Tufts get better players because of the coach and the ability to sell the player and the family on the school. Yes he has not been to NC but it takes time even for new coaches that inherit top programs to make it. The 2020 team was pretty special to have the season cut short. To be honest, most programs go to turd after the coach leaves but that has not been the case with Tufts. He get better athlete because of his ability to spot and DEVELOP talent. Jack Boyten is a great example. He developed him into the player that he is and who is arguable the best player at the division 3 level in the country. Yes I said that. There are plenty of schools that have the resources, academics, and location Tufts has and they are NOT perennial d3 powerhouses year in and year out for the last decade. D'Annolfo took the Tafts team from one of the worst teams to one of the best teams in the country. He is a great coach and will eventually prove it to all you naysayers
I defy you to name 1 D3 school that has the budget, resources, size, academic prestige, location, and exposure that Tufts has. Just one. Tufts just flipped a kid from Ohio State, show me 1 D3 school that has the brand capable of doing that.
No. I think they should continue their current trajectory.
Laxdad457

Post by Laxdad457 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:55 pm
tiger_fan wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:37 pm

No. I think they should continue their current trajectory.
Thoughts on the nescac going D1?
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

:lol:
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Heard it’s already in the works. Dartmouth going DIII too.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Dinah

Post by Dinah »

If given a full offseason (fall ball, strength and conditioning, etc) where does everyone think a NESCAC all-star team is finishing in the Ivy League? They stealing a win somewhere?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Dinah wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:33 am Thoughts on the nescac going D1?

If given a full offseason (fall ball, strength and conditioning, etc) where does everyone think a NESCAC all-star team is finishing in the Ivy League? They stealing a win somewhere?
Capable of winning against any Ivy team. Probably can’t run the table. Similar results as brown on a typical year.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”