Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BlueJaySince1947

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Where will Loyola be ranked this week...?
Certainly out of the Top Ten...
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Turnandrake wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:38 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:22 pm Can’t beat anyone off the dribble. They let the Army defense tee off on them. And when that wasn’t happening, they were just making unforced turnovers.
This is what I thought. Opposing offenses can just run by the defense. Greyhounds offense 1v1 can’t beat their man.

This is what confuses me so much. At 7-4 Higgins ran by his defender, like he’s done for two years, but got stoned by the goalie for Army. It was the only time he went to the goal on a dodge all day. Against MD and Hopkins we saw him as well as James and Poitras do it numerous times. Since then it’s been rare. Just can’t figure out what’s going on. How does James go from being their best player to having zero points in the past three games? Seems like the offense runs though Lindsay and Minicus only.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Whenever I see an unexplained * drop-off in production, I always assume a nagging injury. Not enough to take him out of the line-up, but enough to slow down the first step, make him nervous about planting his foot for the cut, changing his shooting mechanics, etc.

* A sophomore slump on a goalie, now that scouting reports are in; a middie drawing a pole instead of a SSDM, an attackman now drawing the number-1 on-ball defender, a great feeder or former number 1 option now out of the line-up, making the player have to generate his own shots, etc.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Houndfan73 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:20 pm Oh here we go again. We’ve gone from coaches not playing the right kids to…the coaches have learned their lessons and are playing the right kids to ….the coaches aren’t playing the right kids. Some of you guys are asshats. Isn’t it possible that this is a good team and not a great team who has some very good games and some pretty damn bad games? They’ll play great again and I’m sure they’ll have some more duds. But one things for sure….I’m tired of many of you. Sorry your kid doesn’t play….or when you played…you didn’t play.
^100%

I can't believe we're back to second-guessing a coaching staff that has won a National Championship, won countless conference titles, coached multiple Tewaaraton finalists and one winner, and developed dozens of All Americans. I just can't fathom how anonymous posters here think they know better than the coaches.

Yes, we're all disappointed in the team's recent performance, but to think the answer is obvious to us but not to the coaches is just silly. Let's have some trust in the people who do this for a living.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:47 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:07 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:49 am
laxbro11 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:36 am
Exlaxbro wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:10 am I have been critical of the coaching but the Hounds have two weeks to right the ship. Holy Cross is not good and Navy in underperforming. Then BU and Gtown in a short week might tell the tale if they get into the tournament. If Toomey and his staff are what many think they are then we should see a different prep and effort in that short week.
I have been saying this for a long time Players are not prepared Not the right players on the field They pick their starters and stay with it It is then said you are not at practice, that I do not see what the coaches see I do see the product that is put on the field on Saturday And it is below average And that maybe all Loyola is an average team But I don’t think so The talent is there The coaches are not getting the job done 15% shooting percentage against army Great job by the O coaches
This happens at most every level...all the way down to youth ball. Same topic has been discussed on the Navy thread....we are watching the result of bench depth right before our eyes, which arguably, is why they have not performed as well. Navy staff has 'their' top 4 starters injured (24,28,29,& 40), which has forced their hand to go deeper into the bench. It is absolutely great to see the staff having been forced into this situation and wiggle and squirm through it....the hope, is on the backside it bears fruit to get those younger (bench guys) real game experience.

More to your point, I believe coaches in general do not take the 'long look' with their entire roster, primarily because they just do not have enough staff and time, so it boils down to what they see in practice, which is ..."if I cant trust you with the ball in practice, I certainly can't trust you in the game'.

Time will tell...
I agree time will tell... but we have seen his scenario last year. By following your philosophy, Loyola may be missing the "diamond in the rough" player. The players that are playing know that they can make mistakes, take poor shots, turn the ball over and their is no consequences. There are middies that are playing that contributed no points for over 2 years and finally has a couple of assists, and has turned the ball over regularly. No accountability. When was the last time you saw an offensive midfielder benched for poor play

And I don't buy it, I know that there are currently players on the team that absolutely grind at practice week in and week out, scoring against the defense or shutting down the offensive players, and never getting the opportunity. That is a problem.

"if I cant trust you with the ball in practice, I certainly can't trust you in the game'. And how can you trust the players on the field with turnovers and poor shot selection. stat line tells all.

Laxmaxamillion may be onto something
Thanks for the reply.....its not my philosophy, its what I have witnessed.

My coaching style over the years has always been to invest a significant amount of time on the lowered tiered players 'a rising tide lifts all boats' theory. To your point and one made regularly on other threads, on e would certainly think if they invested all that time recruiting player...they'd certainly not write them off. But I am sure that some staff get to a point where they have a good pool of players, they give them all a fair shot to meet their initial standards, and if they do not....its the players fault, not the coach.

Good luck the rest of the season....looking like Army has the PL AQ locked up, but stranger things have happened.

No clue what you are talking about re:Laxmaxamillion
Love your coaching style... in investing in lower tier players, that is what wins you games and makes your starters better players.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

GreyingHound wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:31 pm
Houndfan73 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:20 pm Oh here we go again. We’ve gone from coaches not playing the right kids to…the coaches have learned their lessons and are playing the right kids to ….the coaches aren’t playing the right kids. Some of you guys are asshats. Isn’t it possible that this is a good team and not a great team who has some very good games and some pretty damn bad games? They’ll play great again and I’m sure they’ll have some more duds. But one things for sure….I’m tired of many of you. Sorry your kid doesn’t play….or when you played…you didn’t play.
^100%

I can't believe we're back to second-guessing a coaching staff that has won a National Championship, won countless conference titles, coached multiple Tewaaraton finalists and one winner, and developed dozens of All Americans. I just can't fathom how anonymous posters here think they know better than the coaches.

Yes, we're all disappointed in the team's recent performance, but to think the answer is obvious to us but not to the coaches is just silly. Let's have some trust in the people who do this for a living.
The last time Loyola won the Patriot league title: 2018. 5 years ago. Yes they won it three years in a row with Spencer. Previous to the SPencer years 2014. Yes a National Championship in 2012, 10 years ago.

I see talent on this team that is not be utilized to the best of their ability. I see other programs making changes and becoming successful. I see Loyola stagnant. Yes disappointed, My question Greying is where do you see fault or areas that need to be improved?

If you cannot look at coaching as a possible factor, you are not looking at the whole picture.

Or maybe Loyola is just a mid level lacrosse team, that made a run with a once in a life time player and won a national championship 10 years ago. And we should just be happy with mediocrity
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

What I’m seeing is not the least bit mediocre.

Since the title year - 9 seasons, the covid year is out -
- 7 NCAAs, a Final Four, 3 quarterfinals, 3 1st round losses,
54 games over .500, 6 regular season conference titles.

That’s hardly mediocre.
Finster

Post by Finster »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:57 am
^100%

The last time Loyola won the Patriot league title: 2018. 5 years ago. Yes they won it three years in a row with Spencer. Previous to the SPencer years 2014. Yes a National Championship in 2012, 10 years ago.

I see talent on this team that is not be utilized to the best of their ability. I see other programs making changes and becoming successful. I see Loyola stagnant. Yes disappointed, My question Greying is where do you see fault or areas that need to be improved?

If you cannot look at coaching as a possible factor, you are not looking at the whole picture.

Or maybe Loyola is just a mid level lacrosse team, that made a run with a once in a life time player and won a national championship 10 years ago. And we should just be happy with mediocrity

Respectfully, most of D1 (other than the usual top-5 suspects) would trade places to be Loyola and have that one Natty, not to mention all the tournament appearances.

Loyola is a program that teams have to show up for; they are capable of beating anyone any day. That said, this year’s squad doesn’t have the top talent nor depth of a team to compete for the Natty. So far as the PL, Army looks to be above everyone this year. Losing to Army this year will be something that happens to most teams.

Loyola needs two exceptional talents to give it a run (Minicus could be one). Don’t forget that Spencer played alongside arguably the best D1 goalie his four years, Stover. Those guys anchored both ends of the field; unfortunately they never had the exceptional FOGO to help out.

Toomey will figure it out. Love that stadium.
Last edited by Finster on Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I sometimes wonder 'where' certain posters are coming from in their sharp critiques of players or coaches.

Some seem to get a thrill out of trolling.

I looked to see 11's 'history' and found a bunch of critiques of Hopkins and Petro, before turning on Loyola...some of those early posts were negative about Spencer...then one applauding a performance by Spencer...is he a Loyola alum, I wondered?

Then (bold is laxbro11):

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)
Post by laxbro11 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:21 am

CU77 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:22 am
DocBarrister wrote: ↑Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm
I once took an advanced physics class (more of a theoretical mathematics class than anything else) with lots of grad students ... got a 5 out of a 100 on a test once. ...
How hard was Hopkins? My 5 out of a 100 was a passing grade, because the physics grad students could only pull the average up to 18.
As a teacher of physics myself, I must jump in here to say that this is evidence of either (1) bad exam design, or (2) an inability on the part of the instructor to teach the material. Neither possibility reflects well on Hopkins, I'm sorry to say.
At my time at Hopkins, most Lacrosse players were economic majors...That being said, the curriculum was challanging, but not to the extent of the med students. We were "guided" to the classes that were beneficial to us.

So, when he asks whether, "we should just be happy with mediocrity"...understand that the "we" isn't as a Loyola alum. At least not according to this post...

Possible Loyola player dad or brother?...inquiring minds would want to know whether his critical comments are from a particular perspective.

Note, my bother-in-law played for Loyola back in the dark ages, I've had friends' kids play there, my son coached some camps for Toomey and liked him, but otherwise no particular affiliation other than as a Baltimorean who has been impressed by Toomey's seeming to find players others missed and getting a lot out of them and liking the venue and spirit of the student fans. But I don't have expectations of perennial Top 10 status, rather being occasionally in the hunt is impressive to me.
Finster

Post by Finster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:34 am I sometimes wonder 'where' certain posters are coming from in their sharp critiques of players or coaches.

I looked to see 11's 'history' and found a bunch of critiques of Hopkins and Petro, before turning on Loyola...some of those early posts were negative about Spencer...then one applauding a performance by Spencer...is he a Loyola alum, I wondered?

Then (bold is laxbro11):

I once took an advanced physics class (more of a theoretical mathematics class than anything else) with lots of grad students ... got a 5 out of a 100 on a test once. ...
How hard was Hopkins? My 5 out of a 100 was a passing grade, because the physics grad students could only pull the average up to 18.
As a teacher of physics myself, I must jump in here to say that this is evidence of either (1) bad exam design, or (2) an inability on the part of the instructor to teach the material. Neither possibility reflects well on Hopkins, I'm sorry to say.
At my time at Hopkins, most Lacrosse players were economic majors...That being said, the curriculum was challanging, but not to the extent of the med students. We were "guided" to the classes that were beneficial to us.

So, when he asks whether, "we should just be happy with mediocrity"...understand that the "we" isn't as a Loyola alum. At least not according to this post...

Possible Loyola player dad or brother?...inquiring minds would want to know whether his critical comments are from a particular perspective.

Note, my bother-in-law played for Loyola back in the dark ages, I've had friends' kids play there, my son coached some camps for Toomey and liked him, but otherwise no particular affiliation other than as a Baltimorean who has been impressed by Toomey's seeming to find players others missed and getting a lot out of them and liking the venue and spirit of the student fans. But I don't have expectations of perennial Top 10 status, rather being occasionally in the hunt is impressive to me.

I’d agree with this. No different frankly than a ton of other programs we can think of.

Many programs don’t have but would desperately love to own that one elusive Natty (not to mention Loyola’s fairly consistent tournament appearance history).

I have no affiliation with Loyola but they often get my support because of their history as the ‘little guy’ who punches above weight.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

That's close to my view, which is why I've been particularly impressed with their relative stability of national relevance during Toomey's tenure.

That's not an accident, IMO.

I also like their fan support.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I thought Hounds had a chance to win last Saturday. Certainly disappointed with the outcome. But hey, Army is a really good team. And it seemed like Hounds had more penalties and on two occasions were down 2 men in the penalty box. That's a lot of work for the defense.

Over the past 3 years Ive seen Toomey and Alberici call timeouts with 6 or 7 seconds left to let the losing team think about the loss. What I saw Saturday was Army's respect for Loyola when they held on to the ball and let the clock run down. That's what I'll remember.

And I'll wonder what Toomey was telling the team after the game prior to the handshake. That was a long post game team huddle.

Not going to troubleshoot the outcome. Moving on to Holy Cross next Saturday. Hounds need a win.

And I pay absolutely zero friggin' attention to the non Loyola Fan trolls on this site - everyone knows who they are.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Like I said earlier, they have two weeks to right the ship. Holy Cross will be a chance to try something new if that is really what is needed. That GT and BU week is going to be so important. Last year GT embarrassed the Hounds on National TV and I remember hearing people say it wasn’t a big deal because it wasn’t a PL game. Loyola needs to send a message to GT, BU, and the rest of the PL that they are more than mediocre.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

^100%

So I guess I’m a bit confused. I’m not criticizing the staff. Just trying to figure out what’s going on. Love Charley, Van and Dwan. Great coaches. What is so confusing to me is the drop off of veteran guys who have been very good players since they got to Loyola. And it’s not just one or two guys. Something is going on. I’ve talked to a few guys who I know who are as confused as me. We need our best players to be our best players. Can’t rely on freshmen to lead this team. The freshmen and sophomores have done their jobs. Roman and Houlihan are playing well. Minicus, Haberman, Murphy and the other freshmen have played well. Our defense was tremendous early but since Duke they’ve been porous. Staudt can’t stop everything. Let’s hope they can rebound .
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Have been away for a bit, but have watched every game so far. While there have been some ups and downs, the fact of the matter is that if you told me 2 months ago the hounds would be 5-3 going into this week with the incredibly tough schedule that they have I would be content. Especially with the wins over Maryland Hopkins and Towson, this group that is particularly young in some spots has showed promise. Thoughts so far:
- Face offs need to be better. 40 something percent won’t cut it, and it’s greatly affecting both sides of the ball. For the record I think Pacheco is more than competent, but inconsistent ground ball from him and wing play has got to improve.
- Think this team can be (and has shown) to have an elite defensive unit. Staudt has lived up to his billing, and has played as well as any goalie in the country. 57-58% after what we saw last year is a game changer-makes you wonder what could have been had he been healthy throughout last offseason. Wyers and hughes generally have been great, and Alex bean has stepped in nicely as an off ball defender. Short stick unit has been as good as any, and sally in particular has been lethal in transition (which complements the goalie play well). If the hounds can get more consistent LSM and face off play, that will certainly help out
- Not sure where to start on the other side of the ball. Good news is that Minicus appears to be our best offensive player, and he’s only going to get better (as should the case w the other young guys on offense. Poitras has generally been solid as always, and Kamish is only going to continue to get healthy. What concerns me is the play of Lindsey, James, and Higgins-not nearly good enough. No doubt that these 3 need to show up-not sure what is going on but hopefully a home game against a putrid Holy Cross team gets them on track. It’s almost worth giving up on the second line-the hope could be that Murphy rises to the occasion as the year progresses but that’s asking a lot of a freshman. This isn’t the end of the world since you can still have a good offense and not be particularly deep, but it starts with those 3 guys showing up every week, and I’m confident they will.
I’m not ready to give up on this group yet-if you are then throw on games from earlier in the season. These guys need to find a way to play with confidence on the road. It looks like a totally different team when they aren’t at Ridley
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Laxfan01 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:47 pm Have been away for a bit, but have watched every game so far. While there have been some ups and downs, the fact of the matter is that if you told me 2 months ago the hounds would be 5-3 going into this week with the incredibly tough schedule that they have I would be content. Especially with the wins over Maryland Hopkins and Towson, this group that is particularly young in some spots has showed promise. Thoughts so far:
- Face offs need to be better. 40 something percent won’t cut it, and it’s greatly affecting both sides of the ball. For the record I think Pacheco is more than competent, but inconsistent ground ball from him and wing play has got to improve.
- Think this team can be (and has shown) to have an elite defensive unit. Staudt has lived up to his billing, and has played as well as any goalie in the country. 57-58% after what we saw last year is a game changer-makes you wonder what could have been had he been healthy throughout last offseason. Wyers and hughes generally have been great, and Alex bean has stepped in nicely as an off ball defender. Short stick unit has been as good as any, and sally in particular has been lethal in transition (which complements the goalie play well). If the hounds can get more consistent LSM and face off play, that will certainly help out
- Not sure where to start on the other side of the ball. Good news is that Minicus appears to be our best offensive player, and he’s only going to get better (as should the case w the other young guys on offense. Poitras has generally been solid as always, and Kamish is only going to continue to get healthy. What concerns me is the play of Lindsey, James, and Higgins-not nearly good enough. No doubt that these 3 need to show up-not sure what is going on but hopefully a home game against a putrid Holy Cross team gets them on track. It’s almost worth giving up on the second line-the hope could be that Murphy rises to the occasion as the year progresses but that’s asking a lot of a freshman. This isn’t the end of the world since you can still have a good offense and not be particularly deep, but it starts with those 3 guys showing up every week, and I’m confident they will.
I’m not ready to give up on this group yet-if you are then throw on games from earlier in the season. These guys need to find a way to play with confidence on the road. It looks like a totally different team when they aren’t at Ridley
Agree 100%. Best players need to be their best players, especially against good teams.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:34 am I sometimes wonder 'where' certain posters are coming from in their sharp critiques of players or coaches.

Then (bold is laxbro11):

As a Hopkins alum, I bet LaxBro11 would love a coaching change at Loyola.
It explains all the trolling.
The Hounds have eaten the Jay's lunch for about a decade now.
Loyola is 7-2 Against Hopkins over the past 10 years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Yeah…nah. Look closer. It seems a lot more likely he is in fact actually a Loyola fan who was trolling the Hopkins thread, not the other way around. He posted a few times in our thread in the spring of 2019 (mostly to criticize Petro) but since then he has posted *exclusively* in this thread, and much of it has been positive. He was in here as recently as a month ago saying he attended Loyola’s alumni tailgate, praising the victory over Hopkins. He has not said anything Hop related or posted in our thread since that very brief period of pretending to be one of our lacrosse alums in 2019. It’s been years of earnestly discussing the Loyola team and, again, not all of it negative. Seems like the average fairweather fan to me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:56 am Yeah…nah. Look closer. It seems a lot more likely he is in fact actually a Loyola fan who was trolling the Hopkins thread, not the other way around. He posted a few times in our thread in the spring of 2019 (mostly to criticize Petro) but since then he has posted *exclusively* in this thread, and much of it has been positive. He was in here as recently as a month ago saying he attended Loyola’s alumni tailgate, praising the victory over Hopkins. He has not said anything Hop related or posted in our thread since that very brief period of pretending to be one of our lacrosse alums in 2019. It’s been years of earnestly discussing the Loyola team and, again, not all of it negative. Seems like the average fairweather fan to me.
Well then the "pretend" I'd call a lie.

It remains possible that he's a Hop alum, but has some other relationship with current Loyola through a family member and thus went to tailgate. I went to numerous tailgates at my son's school when he was playing despite it being an arch-rival of my alma mater. Even had the parents to our home the night before a fall scrimmage in Baltimore (at Hop) after he had graduated... Or it was a flat lie...

Either way, I'm not a fan of trolling, and being dishonest about one's relationship with the school is an ender for me...

Any other opinion expressed is automatically suspect.

Post by 1766 »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:57 am
^100%

I have no skin in this game but have admired the Loyola program from afar. From an outsiders perspective, mediocrity is not something I'd call the Loyola program, nor should fans accept that as a goal for the program. There is a lot of history and a number of great players that have come through there. Lacrosse is highly competitive now. Loyola may not be as dominant as they were a few seasons ago, but there is no reason why they can't be again. I wouldn't forget, in this "mediocre" season, you beat Maryland and Hopkins.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”