Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:28 pm Ah, we're relitigating the mid 2000s now. Fantastic!

On another note — next time you encounter someone complaining about Hop's deal with ESPN, show them this:

https://twitter.com/quickstickblog/stat ... 5010257920

Hopkins/Michigan and Hopkins/UNC are the two highest-rated TV broadcasts of the season. Sometimes you'll see people saying Hop needs the Big Ten to stay relevant, but has anyone considered the possibility that it's the other way around? Makes you think. ;)
Very interesting decision the big ten made putting the games on in primetime. I guess it's past the softball players bedtimes. More Schwartzmann.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:28 pm Ah, we're relitigating the mid 2000s now. Fantastic!

On another note — next time you encounter someone complaining about Hop's deal with ESPN, show them this:

https://twitter.com/quickstickblog/stat ... 5010257920

Hopkins/Michigan and Hopkins/UNC are the two highest-rated TV broadcasts of the season. Sometimes you'll see people saying Hop needs the Big Ten to stay relevant, but has anyone considered the possibility that it's the other way around? Makes you think. ;)
Pretty impressive that Hopkins/Michigan and Hopkins/UNC outdrew Maryland/Penn State, Penn/Cornell, and Virginia/Notre Dame. Goes to show that the lopsided Hopkins fandom here reflects the larger fandom out there in the “real world.”

As for the LeSueur travesty committed by our fellow forum member ….

The theme of my farewell tribute to LeSueur was this:

LeSueur came into the program as perhaps the most hyped player in the 2005 class … the Garden City Great. LeSueur never met those heightened expectations, but accomplished something even more. LeSueur became an invaluable four-year contributor to the 2005 national champions, not as the “Garden City Great,” but as the consummate team role player, finishing his career in a platoon with Kyle Barrie.

That was my tribute to LeSueur … that he helped Hopkins achieve greatness in 2005 not as the “Garden City Great” but as the consummate team role player.

And then a certain moron ruined my tribute by claiming that I was criticizing LeSueur by saying he never met expectations as the Garden City Great … concrete thinking that completely missed the point of my tribute to LeSueur.

As that certain forum member showed today, he still doesn’t get it.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

That is what differentiates this thread. Here, the past is never dead. It's not even past.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:31 pm That is what differentiates this thread. Here, the past is never dead. It's not even past.
Petro has been gone 3 years. Milliman is the coach now - there's NOTHING anybody here can do about it. This team is undoubtedly the nest version of Hopkins lacrosse since '18. For the first time since then there is a home game that really means something. Why not concentrate on that?

As long as we are talking about any potential future Blue Jays I couldn't help but hear on Saturday night Terry Riordan has a good player in the household - any reviews or thoughts? From what I have heard TR is still a huge fan.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:11 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:31 pm That is what differentiates this thread. Here, the past is never dead. It's not even past.
Petro has been gone 3 years. Milliman is the coach now - there's NOTHING anybody here can do about it. This team is undoubtedly the nest version of Hopkins lacrosse since '18. For the first time since then there is a home game that really means something. Why not concentrate on that?

As long as we are talking about any potential future Blue Jays I couldn't help but hear on Saturday night Terry Riordan has a good player in the household - any reviews or thoughts? From what I have heard TR is still a huge fan.
Haven't heard anything about Riordan's kid yet, not sure how old he is.

Mentioned this awhile ago but Jon Marcus' son is one of the top goalies in the 2025 class, and they can start being recruited this September. I imagine he'll be on our list, hopefully the interest is mutual

While we're talking about recruits, Culver's Gabe Sorichetti continues to shine, had the game-winning goal against Gonzaga the other day: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OxwDcoDZrq0

From what I understand '24 Ace Lumpris is now visiting Pac-12 football programs so he's about as good as gone
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

So I was wrong. DraftKings has Rutgers as a 1.5 point favorite. Hop and the points is -155 though. I did, however, get the O/U spot on at 23.5. Needless to say, given my prior prediction I took Hop and the moneyline (still at -1110).
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nyjay wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:28 pm So I was wrong. DraftKings has Rutgers as a 1.5 point favorite. Hop and the points is -155 though. I did, however, get the O/U spot on at 23.5. Needless to say, given my prior prediction I took Hop and the moneyline (still at -1110).
I’m not Jimmy the Greek but I’d put Hop at even money or slightly favored for the rest of the B1G schedule save Maryland.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

I have to say this might be the most anticipated Hopkins Rutgers game in a long time....Should be a great tilt
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:40 pm
nyjay wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:28 pm So I was wrong. DraftKings has Rutgers as a 1.5 point favorite. Hop and the points is -155 though. I did, however, get the O/U spot on at 23.5. Needless to say, given my prior prediction I took Hop and the moneyline (still at -1110).
I’m not Jimmy the Greek but I’d put Hop at even money or slightly favored for the rest of the B1G schedule save Maryland.
Attachments
Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (6).png (151.24 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:28 pm

Mentioned this awhile ago but Jon Marcus' son is one of the top goalies in the 2025 class, and they can start being recruited this September. I imagine he'll be on our list, hopefully the interest is mutual

While we're talking about recruits, Culver's Gabe Sorichetti continues to shine, had the game-winning goal against Gonzaga the other day: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OxwDcoDZrq0

From what I understand '24 Ace Lumpris is now visiting Pac-12 football programs so he's about as good as gone
When people talk about Hopkins "being dead and done" there are things like the amount of alumni with young sons/brothers who hopkins at least gets consideration from because their family attended hopkins that are tough for programs like OSU/Rutgers/Penn State etc to just catch up to because their schools have invested in the sport the last 15 or so years. And now duke/unc/cuse don't have hall of fame hoops coaches to keep them front and center on young kids tik toks all winter. Then there are the ex players out in the world meeting and interacting with young kids like this story on Gvozden and his brother now running a goalie coaching outfit.
https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... rosse-lore

For game 12 and a program with 8 wins there are still a lot of questions
-the optimal mix on offense
-the optimal faceoff guy
-"Fixing Marcille"
-consistency on offense and limiting turnovers
-I'm sure there are defensive questions but those are probably for better eyes than mine.
-Then there's the strengths of the actual opponent
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

actually, a beef they had in the mid 2000s. you have to admit, that's pretty impressive.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:39 pm

When people talk about Hopkins "being dead and done" there are things like the amount of alumni with young sons/brothers who hopkins at least gets consideration from because their family attended hopkins that are tough for programs like OSU/Rutgers/Penn State etc to just catch up to because their schools have invested in the sport the last 15 or so years. And now duke/unc/cuse don't have hall of fame hoops coaches to keep them front and center on young kids tik toks all winter. Then there are the ex players out in the world meeting and interacting with young kids like this story on Gvozden and his brother now running a goalie coaching outfit.

-the optimal faceoff guy
-"Fixing Marcille"
-I'm sure there are defensive questions but those are probably for better eyes than mine.
Our FO unit is fine. We have 3 FOGOs that can win draws. We have two of the top wings out there.

Marcille does not need to be "fixed". No one on this board really knows what happened in Ann Arbor, but he's been one of the top goaltenders in D1 this year. Even the top keepers have off games for one reason or another. Be grateful we have back-ups that can play.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:08 am
jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:39 pm

-the optimal faceoff guy
-"Fixing Marcille"
Our FO unit is fine. We have 3 FOGOs that can win draws. We have two of the top wings out there.

Marcille does not need to be "fixed". No one on this board really knows what happened in Ann Arbor, but he's been one of the top goaltenders in D1 this year. Even the top keepers have off games for one reason or another. Be grateful we have back-ups that can play.
quint said the same thing hf16 said which is that the issue was the lights at michigan or something to that effect.

The save percentage numbers were down 10 percent in march
https://lacrossereference.com/teams/a0031/
Faceoff numbers were down from feb to march and down from the petro area.

That site is a lot easier to use than the labyrinth ncaa one.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:48 am
OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:22 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:04 am
OCanada wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:33 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:15 am
nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:26 pm Has this team actually played a "good" game yet? I don't think they have. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does it mean that they're not actually good or that they haven't yet played up to their potential?
This team fights to the final whistle. We haven’t seen that in a while, frankly. To respond to your question, Blue Jays have not put together four stellar quarters. They have not played a game where they fired on all cylinders. They have never quite performed a complete “A” game.

These Blue Jays can get much better.

Which is very encouraging.

Several aspects of their game have improved compared to the Petro era … gbs, caused turnovers, and now … A RIDE.

The glitches still show from time to time, but this team is developing a real identity and chemistry. They’re aggressive and do the blue collar stuff well … physical, grinding play.

Coaches made some tough adjustments, including a goalie change that proved beneficial. This team actually has some depth now at all positions.

DocBarrister
How did the Petro era win 2 national titles etc. w/o causing turnovers, competing for gbs, riding etc. as you claim, You were around. Your insight would be educational.
With a FO win percentage of 0.597 and a passive position oriented defense that allowed Jesse Schwartzmann to earn a 0.626 save percentage. Causing turnovers wasn’t even an official statistic at the time. Indeed, the NOW LEGENDARY 2005 team lost the turnover battle against their opponents (190 Hopkins turnovers to 164 for their opponents). Just wasn’t their focus (despite Peter LeSueur being excellent on the ride). Remember, one of the foundational principles behind the passive position oriented defense was that modern lacrosse sticks made it futile to try and cause turnovers with stick checks.

https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... stats/2005

Plus, it didn’t hurt to have two future hall of famers on the first midfield line.

That was a different time. Even a different Petro era than what came later. It’s no longer enough to force an opposing shooter to his off-hand and have him shoot from 12-15 yards out and depend on your goalie to make the save … plenty of today’s shooters can score like that. Today, defenders always need to be on the shooters hands or body or better yet prevent the shot altogether. Petro’s 2005 defense was actually designed to give up certain shots. Today, you don’t want to give up a shot at all. Get aggressive, cause a turnover, initiate offense.

DocBarrister
So now it was a different time? That is not what you wrote. Back in 2005 you were ragging on an attackman with a broken bone in his foot for his performance. You ignored 2007 and 2003 in your “analysis”. Blinders. Doc Slick. That was sooo facile
Kyle Barrie ?
He was nowhere near the same player that season.
Correct. As stated he had a broken bone. He gutted it out he was not slacking
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:08 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:26 pm Has this team actually played a "good" game yet? I don't think they have. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does it mean that they're not actually good or that they haven't yet played up to their potential?
This team fights to the final whistle. We haven’t seen that in a while, frankly. To respond to your question, Blue Jays have not put together four stellar quarters. They have not played a game where they fired on all cylinders. They have never quite performed a complete “A” game.

Several aspects of their game have improved compared to the Petro era … gbs, caused turnovers, and now … A RIDE.

The glitches still show from time to time, but this team is developing a real identity and chemistry. They’re aggressive and do the blue collar stuff well … physical, grinding play.

Coaches made some tough adjustments, including a goalie change that proved beneficial. This team actually has some depth now at all positions.

DocBarrister
How did the Petro era win 2 national titles etc. w/o causing turnovers, competing for gbs, riding etc. as you claim, You were around. Your insight would be educational.
With a FO win percentage of 0.597 and a passive position oriented defense that allowed Jesse Schwartzmann to earn a 0.626 save percentage. Causing turnovers wasn’t even an official statistic at the time. Indeed, the NOW LEGENDARY 2005 team lost the turnover battle against their opponents (190 Hopkins turnovers to 164 for their opponents). Just wasn’t their focus (despite Peter LeSueur being excellent on the ride). Remember, one of the foundational principles behind the passive position oriented defense was that modern lacrosse sticks made it futile to try and cause turnovers with stick checks.

Plus, it didn’t hurt to have two future hall of famers on the first midfield line.

That was a different time. Even a different Petro era than what came later. It’s no longer enough to force an opposing shooter to his off-hand and have him shoot from 12-15 yards out and depend on your goalie to make the save … plenty of today’s shooters can score like that. Today, defenders always need to be on the shooters hands or body or better yet prevent the shot altogether. Petro’s 2005 defense was actually designed to give up certain shots. Today, you don’t want to give up a shot at all. Get aggressive, cause a turnover, initiate offense.

DocBarrister
So now it was a different time? That is not what you wrote. Back in 2005 you were ragging on an attackman with a broken bone in his foot for his performance. You ignored 2007 and 2003 in your “analysis”. Blinders. Doc Slick. That was sooo facile
I believe you were the @$$hole who ruined my tribute to Peter LeSueur when you misinterpreted my post as a criticism of LeSueur … ironic because LeSueur was my favorite player from the NOW LEGENDARY 2005 team. You have never acknowledged your stupendous f*ck up.

You were an @$$hole then and you’re an @$$hole now. That, at least, has not changed.

DocBarrister
Hiya slick. Di do you think you have a clue what you are talking about. I do know your slut directed at Petro was total BS. Then you post BS to try and rationalize. Petro had teams that averaged more gbs than this year’s team. The only stat you needed to know but you chose to take the cheap shot, but when you got nothing you act like the middle schooler you apparently never out grew.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
I believe you were the @$$hole who ruined my tribute to Peter LeSueur when you misinterpreted my post as a criticism of LeSueur … ironic because LeSueur was my favorite player from the NOW LEGENDARY 2005 team. You have never acknowledged your stupendous f*ck up.

You were an @$$hole then and you’re an @$$hole now. That, at least, has not changed.

DocBarrister
Hiya slick. Do not think you have a clue what you are talking about. I do know your slur directed at Petro was total BS. Then you post BS to try and rationalize. Petro had teams that averaged more gbs than this year’s team. The only stat you needed to know but you chose to take the cheap shot, but when you got nothing you act like the middle schooler you apparently never out grew.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

what "slur" is being referenced?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:09 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
Hiya slick. Do not think you have a clue what you are talking about. I do know your slur directed at Petro was total BS. Then you post BS to try and rationalize. Petro had teams that averaged more gbs than this year’s team. The only stat you needed to know but you chose to take the cheap shot, but when you got nothing you act like the middle schooler you apparently never out grew.
Yeah … that’s why Petro one season focused a practice on gbs and the team was heard on the sidelines yelling in unison, “Groundballs!”

His teams have won season gb battles, but those were almost always when the team was successful on faceoffs.

Problems winning non-faceoff ground balls was a longtime consistent issue in Petro’s last decade. That’s not a “slur,” a bizarre term that you use. It’s simply an observation, something even Petro noted.

Here’s just one example from as long ago as 2010:

For the first time in almost three weeks, Johns Hopkins collected more groundballs than its opponent, scooping up 28 loose balls to the Tigers' 19. In the previous two contests, the Blue Jays lost that battle, 31-21, in a 10-9 loss to the Terps and, 35-21, in a 9-8 overtime setback to the Midshipmen. The players spent about an hour on Monday working on various drills centered on groundballs, and Pietramala was relieved to see their work play out against Towson. "If we didn't win groundballs tonight, I might've jumped off a building because we've spent the last three weeks talking about groundballs, and it's killed us in the last two games," he said. "I went into halftime and the first thing I said was, 'Good job, keep it up, but we're only winning by three groundballs.' Then we pulled away in the second half."

https://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-mtblog- ... story.html

It’s difficult to find a final decade Petro season where the Blue Jays won the season non-faceoff gb battle. It was a recurrent issue. When the Blue Jays were winning more gbs, it was attributable mostly to their face off wins.

This season’s Blue Jays are better on 50-50 non-faceoff gbs … it’s not even a stat thing … you can see it in the games. For the record, the Blue Jays this season are winning the gb battle even while losing a majority of face offs.

Finally, it should be noted that I am one of the few here who opposed Petro’s firing following the shortened 2020 season. I thought he deserved a chance at another full season before any final decisions were made.

You have a truly bizarre history of unfairly attacking people. You attacked my tribute to LeSueur because you stupidly misinterpreted my tribute as an attack. Now you attack one of this forum’s only members who opposed the firing of Petro.

You truly are a piece of work.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

LaxAllStars wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:54 pm On JH goalie switch -

https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... h-27-2023/
i.e. "Hopkins played goalie Luke Caracciolo in the second half as starter Tim Marcille was struggling with the optics of rain and lights. The lefty transfer from Bryant played confidently."
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”