ODAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Whodem52

Re: ODAC

Post by Whodem52 »

Laxfan69 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:45 am I don’t think people fully understand how truly spectacular it is that AJ Witherell is able to play on the same team as his son Taylor. They are legit and I don’t think enough people are giving their due praise.
I am a long time supporter of the illustrious tradition of d2 lacrosse, which I like to refer to as JV MCLA. Regardless, I knew I had to watch w&l lacrosse once I heard of the father-son duo that has taken hold of the national spotlight. I couldn’t go to any of my lacrosse news sources without seeing all about “Wilmington father, son achieve incredibly rare lacrosse feat; we see if they can do it again“ and “NCAA D3 Lacrosse Is Increasingly A Father-Son Game.” Needless to see I was intrigued (not necessarily surprised) to see what was brewing up in Lexington.
And I know what you’re thinking, “this dude can’t be serious” or “how could anyone think that” BUT this is 100% authentic. Despite popular opinion in this forum, as some people obviously have their biases, Aj and Taylor are the real deal. Aj is a d1 athlete with omnipotent ability as a lacrosse player. Taylor is a chip off the block, built like his dad yet displays a more elusive style. The father-son dynamic duo is truly a sight to be held. Penetrating defenses easily, racking up nearly 100 goals between the two on 145 shots. This is definitely a spectacle to behold in Lexington, adding one more schism to the illustrious history of Rockbridge County.
Best of luck to all teams going forward! I hope this forum can be more positive about both witherells. I look forward to seeing what this father-son tandem will do in May on a national stage.
Hahahaha! I don’t like w&l at all but this is making me lol
Whodem52

Post by Whodem52 »

ctbagataway wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:19 pm You certainly are enthusiastic. Looks like Randolph is just under 50% faceoff percentage and just under 45% save percentage in conference. W&L is winning almost 70% of their faceoffs and over 60% save percentage (again, in conference). I'm sure the Wildcats will come out swinging, they have nothing to lose, but if W&L plays like they should, this game is over early.
Rumor is w&l sitting all there starters for this one .....
Whodem52

Post by Whodem52 »

Hsc vs The U this weekend. Shouldn’t be a contest, but hey who knows! I like the burg athleticism vs fratletisism .
Not content with ot loss in Lexington last weekend- that drive is brutal!

Roanoke gonna pack it in and call it a year? Sources say pilat has a vacation planned starting May 2....
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

So are the ODAC tournament seedings set, despite one more weekend of regular season? Paging Scott Harris for the answer.
1. W&L at 9-0 with a game left against Shenandoah. Even at 9-1, wouldn't they be the #1 seed based on their head to head over LC and HS?
2/3. LC at 8-1, HS at 7-2. This game still has seeding implications, I assume as if HS wins, both teams would be 8-2 and HS would hold the head to head?
4. RM at 6-3 playing Va Wesleyan. Even if RM loses, they would be 6-4 along with Roanoke, but would hold the head to head so I believe they stay at 4.
5. Roanoke at 6-4. If Bridgewater beats Ferrum (did I say if?), they would be at 6-4 as well but Roanoke holds the head to head over Bridgewater.
6. Bridgewater at 5-4. Even if they somehow lose to Ferrum, and Va Wesleyan wins and both teams are 5-5, Bridgewater holds the head to head over Va Wesleyan.

If my assumptions are correct, then the only game that matters for the seeding is HS vs. LC for the #2/#3 seed.
So Wednesday would be
RM vs. Roanoke and either LC or HS vs. Bridgewater.
whipsnake

Post by whipsnake »

This a one bid conference.

That being said I see W&L losing in the conference tournament. They do not play blue collar enough to win a gritty game. AJ, what an athlete a tremendous competitor, but it looks like his mom still picks out his clothes every morning. A little bit of pressure and the generals will break like Britney circa 2007. I believe LC is going to win the conference. They eat grits for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I will concede it is not a well balanced diet. Best bring your bib this tournaments gonna get messy.
laxenthusiast101

Post by laxenthusiast101 »

Wild game in Lexington yesterday. The score was not reflective of how hard fought it was on both sides. The Generals struggled to score early in possessions (particularly in the second half) but hopefully they can work things out before playoffs. #2 Prince Charles on Randolph got right down to business by defeating Hodgson on the very first face-off of the game. Following his domination early in the game with 4 ground balls and 3 takeaways the Prince thought to himself "Should I spare these mere mortals?" and in all his greatness allowed the Generals to escape with a win. Rumor has it that Charles, the Cape Henry product, may do a 5th year at the D1 level (Syracuse or UNC potentially?). While it is statistically impossible for the Wildcats to make the ODAC playoffs it will be interesting to see what the Generals can do down the stretch.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

Looking at the standings, there are theoretical Pool C candidates in CAC (York, Salisbury, and CNU), Centennial (Gettysburg, Ursinus, F&M, and Dickinson), Liberty (RIT, Union, RPI, and St. Lawrence), NESCAC (Tufts, Wesleyan, Amherst, Williams, and Bates), E8 (Stevens if they don’t win AQ), NCAC (Denison if it loses in conference finals). and ODAC (W&L and Lynchburg). If one of the potential Pool C bids wins the AQ and Stevens and Denison win their AQs, I see 12 potential candidates.

Of these, CNU, Dickinson, RPI, and Bates (I don’t see the Committee giving 4 Pool C bids to one conference) seem unlikely to me. Stevens’ resume is not stallar if they lose in their conference tournament (best wins are SJF and CNU; loss to Roanoke hurts; conference schedule is soft). ODAC has a good chance for one Pool C barring major upsets in conference tournaments.

The polls are not the test. Strength of schedule and RPI are the most significant metrics, along with balancing the brackets and limiting flights.
Skullzrule

Post by Skullzrule »

With things coming down to the wire in the 'DAC one has to wonder if coaching will the be the x-factor. Lets focus on the two real contenders, W&L and Lynchburg. No need to waste our time worrying about HSC until they stop force feeding their team gluten in the off-season and Roanoke until they go back on their doping regimen, right? While I will admit that Steve Koudelka is the foremost expert in Coaching Stances, I have to wonder if its gone a little too far? The laminated game plan stuffed into the front of his khakis has to be so uncomfortable that he is undoubtedly distracted from urging anyone other than 28 and 8 to initiate any offense. If W&L can limit those two, as they did last week, and get more depth of scoring from their midfield, so the scouting report is longer and thus more uncomfortable for Koudelka, I see them taking the 'ship and the AQ easily.
Last edited by Skullzrule on Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Whodem52 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 am
ctbagataway wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:19 pm You certainly are enthusiastic. Looks like Randolph is just under 50% faceoff percentage and just under 45% save percentage in conference. W&L is winning almost 70% of their faceoffs and over 60% save percentage (again, in conference). I'm sure the Wildcats will come out swinging, they have nothing to lose, but if W&L plays like they should, this game is over early.
Rumor is w&l sitting all there starters for this one .....
That would be 13 or 14 days then since their last tough competition before they face Lynchburg in the playoffs....Rather play starters for at least a qtr maybe 5 minutes into the second then sub everyone out. You don’t see Belichek at New England holding players out. This will be the last game of the season for the team that comes up short. There will be no Pool C from the ODAC
whipsnake

Post by whipsnake »

wheelnd3al wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:21 pm Had boots on the ground in Lexington this weekend. Can nitpick all you want at different things, but at the end of the day that was just an awesome game. A few of my takeaways:

The Hodgson/Londrey dynamic duo prevailed. I know Hodgson was the mid-season All-American on IL, but it would be criminal to not consider these two a duo. Lynchburg was strong at the dot in the first half, but Hodgson evidently wore down the Lynchburg unit and controlled possession for the Generals in the second half. Their success will be crucial two weekends from now...

I could type a paragraph about AJ, but everyone already knows he's a gamer. So instead I'll talk about the first midfield. Hamill continues to draw slides and get defenses moving, so regardless of his stats he is a first-team all-conference midfielder again this season. Mulholland and Ware have come into their own though, which will continue to be huge. As teams scheme for #21 week in and week out, the first midfield has started to make me question who should be drawing the pole. You need length to try to limit Hamill's feeding ability, Mulholland appears to be running through or past SSDMs, and after this weekend it looks like Ware seems to be able to get his hands free in space and make opposing goalies pay as we turn the calendar to May. Pick your poison.

The defense did what it had to do. When one of the Generals' poles had the match-up on #28 they seemed to take him out of the equation. Rodgers did a great job of initiating the offense and appeared to be getting some separation, and if he gets matched up on a shortie he can do damage...had he not hung his stick like crazy we might be looking at a different outcome. All in all, holding LYN to 9 goals is always a good outing, and one that should give this unit a lot of confidence we shift to the postseason.

I'd consider the week ahead challenging from a focus perspective. Generals need to find a way to harness the momentum from this game and carry it through two games where it is likely underclassmen will get the majority of playing time. Can't afford to let the energy fizzle out. Ride the storm.
Hey bud take the circle jerk over to W&L forum
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

Skullzrule wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:54 pm With things coming down to the wire in the 'DAC one has to wonder if coaching will the be the x-factor. Lets focus on the two real contenders, W&L and Lynchburg. No need to waste our time worrying about HSC until they stop force feeding their team gluten in the off-season and Roanoke until they go back on their doping regimen, right? While I will admit that Steve Koudelka is the foremost expert in Coaching Stances, I have to wonder if its gone a little too far? The laminated game plan stuffed into the front of his khakis has to be so uncomfortable that he is undoubtedly distracted from urging anyone other than 28 and 8 to initiate any offense. If W&L can limit those two, as they did last week, and get more depth of scoring from their midfield, so the scouting report is longer and thus more uncomfortable for Koudelka, I see them taking the 'ship and the AQ easily.
When Coach K is in THE coaching stance there is a sense of tranquility among the chaos that is the pace of Lynchburg lacrosse. I watched Coach K stand straight up with about 4 mins left in the game last Saturday...that's when I knew AJ had him. Like a housecat playing with a ball of yarn...only it's AJ, so more like a junglecat.
whipsnake

Post by whipsnake »

wheelnd3al wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:55 pm
Skullzrule wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:54 pm With things coming down to the wire in the 'DAC one has to wonder if coaching will the be the x-factor. Lets focus on the two real contenders, W&L and Lynchburg. No need to waste our time worrying about HSC until they stop force feeding their team gluten in the off-season and Roanoke until they go back on their doping regimen, right? While I will admit that Steve Koudelka is the foremost expert in Coaching Stances, I have to wonder if its gone a little too far? The laminated game plan stuffed into the front of his khakis has to be so uncomfortable that he is undoubtedly distracted from urging anyone other than 28 and 8 to initiate any offense. If W&L can limit those two, as they did last week, and get more depth of scoring from their midfield, so the scouting report is longer and thus more uncomfortable for Koudelka, I see them taking the 'ship and the AQ easily.
When Coach K is in THE coaching stance there is a sense of tranquility among the chaos that is the pace of Lynchburg lacrosse. I watched Coach K stand straight up with about 4 mins left in the game last Saturday...that's when I knew AJ had him. Like a housecat playing with a ball of yarn...only it's AJ, so more like a junglecat.
Typical general fan, doesn't notice the long game that Coach K is playing. He knows the conference is coming down to W&L and LC, and that the conference championship game is way more important than the regular season match-up. Its a coin flip between these two teams. Maybe the reason he changed his stance is so his guys go into the championship game with an extra chip on their shoulders.
publaxguy

Post by publaxguy »

whipsnake wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:20 pm This a one bid conference.

That being said I see W&L losing in the conference tournament. They do not play blue collar enough to win a gritty game. AJ, what an athlete a tremendous competitor, but it looks like his mom still picks out his clothes every morning. A little bit of pressure and the generals will break like Britney circa 2007. I believe LC is going to win the conference. They eat grits for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I will concede it is not a well balanced diet. Best bring your bib this tournaments gonna get messy.
Let’s not forget the last time a LYN representative claimed to be blue collar and called out W&L for its “bow ties and boat shoes” mentality. W&L pummeled said representative, and a “preseason first team all American” goalie, onto the bench for the second half of the game.

whipsnake

Post by whipsnake »

publaxguy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:07 pm
whipsnake wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:20 pm This a one bid conference.

Let’s not forget the last time a LYN representative claimed to be blue collar and called out W&L for its “bow ties and boat shoes” mentality. W&L pummeled said representative, and a “preseason first team all American” goalie, onto the bench for the second half of the game.

He wasn’t wrong.
Whodem52

Post by Whodem52 »

Washington and least blue collar? They don’t have a blue collar bone in their body. I am happy for them that they are hosting again, makes it easier for them to lose and still make it to their spring semester parties!
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

ctbagataway wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:21 am So are the ODAC tournament seedings set, despite one more weekend of regular season? Paging Scott Harris for the answer.
1. W&L at 9-0 with a game left against Shenandoah. Even at 9-1, wouldn't they be the #1 seed based on their head to head over LC and HS?
2/3. LC at 8-1, HS at 7-2. This game still has seeding implications, I assume as if HS wins, both teams would be 8-2 and HS would hold the head to head?
4. RM at 6-3 playing Va Wesleyan. Even if RM loses, they would be 6-4 along with Roanoke, but would hold the head to head so I believe they stay at 4.
5. Roanoke at 6-4. If Bridgewater beats Ferrum (did I say if?), they would be at 6-4 as well but Roanoke holds the head to head over Bridgewater.
6. Bridgewater at 5-4. Even if they somehow lose to Ferrum, and Va Wesleyan wins and both teams are 5-5, Bridgewater holds the head to head over Va Wesleyan.

If my assumptions are correct, then the only game that matters for the seeding is HS vs. LC for the #2/#3 seed.
So Wednesday would be
RM vs. Roanoke and either LC or HS vs. Bridgewater.
Only thing that is to be decided is the 2 and 3. #2 goes to the winner of Lynchburg vs. H-SC. None of the other games being played tomorrow matter for seeding.

Notes below are in the event there is a three-way tie for 4th...

1 - W&L
2/3 - H-SC/LC (no I will not type UL or LYN)
4 - R-MC (beat Noke and BC)
5 - Roanoke (split against R-MC and BC)
6 - Bridgewater (lost to both Noke and R-MC)

First round will be Tuesday...
Bridgewater at Lynchburg/H-SC
Roanoke at Randolph-Macon

Semis and finals will be hosted by W&L next Friday and Saturday
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

What's the deal with all this tomfoolery and ruckus on the board this week?
Laxfan69

Post by Laxfan69 »

Anyone have predictions for today. Big time odac gameday for seeding.
Guilford- 11 Randolph - 3. Probably going to an entertaining and fast-paced game the entire time. Guilford could go for more because Randolph is Randolph.
Shenandoah-4 W&L-20. Probably going to be a sloppy game with not much great lacrosse being played in either side. A meaningless game
VaWes - 12 RMC -13. I could see this going into single or double ot. I think RMC will get the win as VaWes’s coach seems prone to getting conduct penalties in close games.
Ferrum - 5 Bridgewater -14. Probably the second best game in the odac this week. Expect to see a lot of dynamic lacrosse being played with a variety of players and athletes for both teams.
LC - 6 H-L- 9. This game has the potential to be a good team but neither team really has much to play for. Kind of a meaningless game between the two. Probably going to be an unenthusiastic game to say the least.
whipsnake

Post by whipsnake »

W&l is a bluff. Hopefully they don’t win the conference. Don’t want the ODAC to get embarrassed in the tourney
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Going to be some hard decisions to make by the coaches in All-ODAC voting at attack at the offensive positions this year. 8 guys at 60+ points, 16 at 50+, 27 at 40+. 15 players at 30+ in just ODAC games as well.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”