Midseason AA

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Midseason AA

Post by HopFan16 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:58 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:41 am Campbell plays attack, but Villanova still labels him as a midfielder in the box score so he gets 1st team AA recognition. The old Connor Kelly trick.
I still think he’s still a midfielder, its just Villanova doesn’t have all that much in terms of distributors.
He plays up top almost exclusively.

Campbell is easily the best player on that team, they need him
on the field, so whether that constitutes some sort of positionsl
jury-rigging on the part of the Villanova coaches - sure, why not.

I guess the Kelly comparison is valid, though Kelly had better dodging ability.
I think the better comparison is Handley, physical, can distribute
the ball, power dodges from up top, draws the top defender,
has a hammer of a shot.
He plays every single offensive possession though, so, statistically, it makes more sense to compare him to attackmen rather than true midfielders who are only out there for half or slightly more than half of possessions.

BTW, a lot of attackmen primarily dodge and initiate from up top these days. That alone doesn't necessarily make someone a midfielder IMO.
random observer

Post by random observer »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:25 am
random observer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:12 am Sometimes IL or USILA put 4 players/position, sometimes 3. I'm gonna make it easier on myself and do 4 for now.

First Team:
Attack:
CJ Kirst (Cornell)
Connor Shellenberger (UVA)
Pat Kavanagh (ND)
Brennan O'Neill (Duke)

Midfield:
Matt Campbell (Villanova)
Sam Handley (Penn)
Thomas McConvey (UVA)
Ryan Bell (Providence)

FO:
Jake Naso (Duke)

LSM:
Roy Meyer (BU)

SSDM:
Connor Maher (UNC)

Defense:
Gavin Adler (Cornell)
Brett Makar (Maryland)
Ajax Zapitello (Maryland)
Will Bowen (Georgetown)

Goalie:
Will Mark (Syracuse)
Will Bowen's stats this season don't warrant his inclusion.
Respectfully disagree. GBs are down but his CTs are right where they were last year. Besides stats aren't everything. The Hoya defense as a whole has disappointed but that's not down to him IMO; he's still been the same destroyer he was last year.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:13 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:58 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:41 am Campbell plays attack, but Villanova still labels him as a midfielder in the box score so he gets 1st team AA recognition. The old Connor Kelly trick.
I still think he’s still a midfielder, its just Villanova doesn’t have all that much in terms of distributors.
He plays up top almost exclusively.

Campbell is easily the best player on that team, they need him
on the field, so whether that constitutes some sort of positionsl
jury-rigging on the part of the Villanova coaches - sure, why not.

I guess the Kelly comparison is valid, though Kelly had better dodging ability.
I think the better comparison is Handley, physical, can distribute
the ball, power dodges from up top, draws the top defender,
has a hammer of a shot.
He plays every single offensive possession though, so, statistically, it makes more sense to compare him to attackmen rather than true midfielders who are only out there for half or slightly more than half of possessions.

BTW, a lot of attackmen primarily dodge and initiate from up top these days. That alone doesn't necessarily make someone a midfielder IMO.
Yes on Connor. He was an attackman. Position change wasn’t noted on the roster. Not sure Connor stepped in the box once his senior year.
“I wish you would!”
random observer

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:13 am Luke Staudt, the G for Loyola deserves some consideration.
He has been critical in the Hounds great wins, against one of the toughest schedules in the nation.
He's played at an AA level averaging 14 saves a game with a 58% save percentage.
Staudt definitely in consideration for a teamer spot...tough competition this year. I think Mark has been a cut above when you factor in volume, efficiency, and level of competition. After him there's a number of guys all lumped together: Krieg, Entenmann, Staudt, and Knote.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

random observer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:12 am Sometimes IL or USILA put 4 players/position, sometimes 3. I'm gonna make it easier on myself and do 4 for now.

First Team:
Attack:
CJ Kirst (Cornell)
Pat Kavanagh (ND)
Brennan O'Neill (Duke)

Midfield:
Sam Handley (Penn)
Thomas McConvey (UVA)
Ryan Bell (Providence)

FO:
Jake Naso (Duke)

LSM:
Roy Meyer (BU)

SSDM:
Connor Maher (UNC)

Defense:
Gavin Adler (Cornell)
Brett Makar (Maryland)
Will Bowen (Georgetown)

Goalie:
Will Mark (Syracuse)
Naso is good but are you picking over Wierman, because he has a higher win percentage against an easier schedule than Wierman and perhaps others? Let's see how he does against Lasalla this Friday. That will tell us a lot more if this is reasonable. Who knows. It might be.
random observer

blue angels wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:24 pm

First Team:
Attack:
CJ Kirst (Cornell)
Pat Kavanagh (ND)
Brennan O'Neill (Duke)

Midfield:
Sam Handley (Penn)
Thomas McConvey (UVA)
Ryan Bell (Providence)

FO:
Jake Naso (Duke)

LSM:
Roy Meyer (BU)

SSDM:
Connor Maher (UNC)

Defense:
Gavin Adler (Cornell)
Brett Makar (Maryland)
Will Bowen (Georgetown)

Goalie:
Will Mark (Syracuse)
Naso is good but are you picking over Wierman, because he has a higher win percentage against an easier schedule than Wierman and perhaps others? Let's see how he does against Lasalla this Friday. That will tell us a lot more if this is reasonable. Who knows. It might be.
I don't think Wierman's schedule has been harder than Naso's. He played LaSalla, but Naso went up against Stathakis and Cole. Wiremen was also beaten by the Hopkins duo, whereas Naso has yet to lose a matchup. He also has had a higher scoring output and is #1 in face-off ELO (admittedly still trying to decipher how meaningful that last stat is).

TLDR; they're both very good, but so far I have Naso slightly ahead based on the body of work thus far this season.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

I know he is only a freshman, but Checo should definitely be in the conversation of a teamer All-American. 44 GB’s and 31 CT’s in 8 games is absolutely absurd.. and it’s not like he’s done it against poor competition either. His two best games are against Gtown(6 GB’s/5 CT) and Cornell(10 GB’s/6 CT)

The only Knock on him are his TO numbers.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:08 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:29 am For Johns Hopkins only:

Alex Mazzone (LSM) 3rd team AA

Jacob Angelus (A) Honorable Mention AA

Garrett Degnon (A) Honorable Mention AA

Tim Marcille (G) Honorable Mention AA

Scott V. Smith (D) Honorable Mention AA

DocBarrister

If I was a young kid again, back in college, I’d beg my Psych professor to let me do a study on John’s Hopkins lacrosse fans, probably narrowing it down to the Fanlax forum Hop fans. This could be published by Psychology Today. I’d be invited on all the morning talk shows to discuss what I found.

Tell me the results wouldn’t be fascinating. :ugeek: :ugeek:
Do you have any comments on the players above or are you sticking to your meaningless babble?

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:45 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:26 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:34 am

First Team:
Attack:
CJ Kirst (Cornell)
Pat Kavanagh (ND)
Brennan O'Neill (Duke)

Midfield:
Sam Handley (Penn)
Thomas McConvey (UVA)
Ryan Bell (Providence)

FO:
Jake Naso (Duke)

LSM:
Roy Meyer (BU)

SSDM:
Connor Maher (UNC)

Defense:
Gavin Adler (Cornell)
Brett Makar (Maryland)
Will Bowen (Georgetown)

Goalie:
Will Mark (Syracuse)
please.... expound.
After 7 games, Bowen only has 9 ground balls. Adler has 31. Bowen has 13 CTs - Adler has 9 CTs. Adler has 6 turnovers vs 1 for Bowen. That's indicative that Adler is scrapping for loose balls.
ok. i haven't seen a lot of g'town bc of their slow start and flosports. mostly, i look @ matchups when i can watch. was he on mule for lehigh? lot of his other matchups by the stats, which in fairness u mentioned, seem like could be he held his down. when i've seen g'town with him, like adler matchups don't seem willing to take him on often, and he also covers a lot in the sliding scheme. a la adler. plus adler is the 1st name on the list and bowen last, he's there already? maybe not for molo, but i know aa is listed in order of who got the most votes.

so checo > adler? those cto #s are a day or 2 @ the office for him.
He’s there already no question and Richard Checo can’t even but put in the same sentence as guys like Adler/Bowen. Checo is horrible at defense he just roams around takes risk to cause tos. His numbers are impressive for an HM slot but there’s a lot more to defenseman than stats
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Laxfanatic2022 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:00 pm

First Team:
Attack:
CJ Kirst (Cornell)
Pat Kavanagh (ND)
Brennan O'Neill (Duke)

Midfield:
Sam Handley (Penn)
Thomas McConvey (UVA)
Ryan Bell (Providence)

FO:
Jake Naso (Duke)

LSM:
Roy Meyer (BU)

SSDM:
Connor Maher (UNC)

Defense:
Gavin Adler (Cornell)
Brett Makar (Maryland)
Will Bowen (Georgetown)

Goalie:
Will Mark (Syracuse)
please.... expound.
After 7 games, Bowen only has 9 ground balls. Adler has 31. Bowen has 13 CTs - Adler has 9 CTs. Adler has 6 turnovers vs 1 for Bowen. That's indicative that Adler is scrapping for loose balls.
ok. i haven't seen a lot of g'town bc of their slow start and flosports. mostly, i look @ matchups when i can watch. was he on mule for lehigh? lot of his other matchups by the stats, which in fairness u mentioned, seem like could be he held his down. when i've seen g'town with him, like adler matchups don't seem willing to take him on often, and he also covers a lot in the sliding scheme. a la adler. plus adler is the 1st name on the list and bowen last, he's there already? maybe not for molo, but i know aa is listed in order of who got the most votes.

He’s there already no question and Richard Checo can’t even but put in the same sentence as guys like Adler/Bowen. Checo is horrible at defense he just roams around takes risk to cause tos. His numbers are impressive for an HM slot but there’s a lot more to defenseman than stats
i've only seen highlights on checo.
so you agree with me, then, on stats re: adler/bowen.
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:05 pm

First Team:
Attack:
CJ Kirst (Cornell)
Pat Kavanagh (ND)
Brennan O'Neill (Duke)

Midfield:
Sam Handley (Penn)
Thomas McConvey (UVA)
Ryan Bell (Providence)

FO:
Jake Naso (Duke)

LSM:
Roy Meyer (BU)

SSDM:
Connor Maher (UNC)

Defense:
Gavin Adler (Cornell)
Brett Makar (Maryland)
Will Bowen (Georgetown)

Goalie:
Will Mark (Syracuse)
please.... expound.

Yes I agree on the stats part, but if you watched all the games from both it’s clear that Adler has been the best through 7 games
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

First Team:
Attack:
CJ Kirst (Cornell)
Pat Kavanagh (ND)
Brennan O'Neill (Duke)

Midfield:
Sam Handley (Penn)
Thomas McConvey (UVA)
Ryan Bell (Providence)

FO:
Jake Naso (Duke)

LSM:
Roy Meyer (BU)

SSDM:
Connor Maher (UNC)

Defense:
Gavin Adler (Cornell)
Brett Makar (Maryland)
Will Bowen (Georgetown)

Goalie:
Will Mark (Syracuse)
please.... expound.

I think I'm still disappointed that Adler didn't receive the Schmeisser Award last season.
random observer

Laxfanatic2022 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:09 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:05 pm

First Team:
Attack:
CJ Kirst (Cornell)
Pat Kavanagh (ND)
Brennan O'Neill (Duke)

Midfield:
Sam Handley (Penn)
Thomas McConvey (UVA)
Ryan Bell (Providence)

FO:
Jake Naso (Duke)

LSM:
Roy Meyer (BU)

SSDM:
Connor Maher (UNC)

Defense:
Gavin Adler (Cornell)
Brett Makar (Maryland)
Will Bowen (Georgetown)

Goalie:
Will Mark (Syracuse)
please.... expound.

Yes I agree on the stats part, but if you watched all the games from both it’s clear that Adler has been the best through 7 games
Not sure anyone in this thread would disagree with you; Adler has been the first name on every ballot.

Not sure what Adler being the best through 7 games has to do with Bowen's play and whether he warrants inclusion. He is without a doubt a first team AA caliber pole, I don't care what the stats say (and frankly, his stats are still pretty darn good).
Finster

Post by Finster »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:56 pm

DocBarrister

If I was a young kid again, back in college, I’d beg my Psych professor to let me do a study on John’s Hopkins lacrosse fans, probably narrowing it down to the Fanlax forum Hop fans. This could be published by Psychology Today. I’d be invited on all the morning talk shows to discuss what I found.

Do you have any comments on the players above or are you sticking to your meaningless babble?

DocBarrister 8-)

Lack of humor ✅
Finster

Post by Finster »

blue angels wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:24 pm

First Team:
Attack:
CJ Kirst (Cornell)
Pat Kavanagh (ND)
Brennan O'Neill (Duke)

Midfield:
Sam Handley (Penn)
Thomas McConvey (UVA)
Ryan Bell (Providence)

FO:
Jake Naso (Duke)

LSM:
Roy Meyer (BU)

SSDM:
Connor Maher (UNC)

Defense:
Gavin Adler (Cornell)
Brett Makar (Maryland)
Will Bowen (Georgetown)

Goalie:
Will Mark (Syracuse)

^^ agreed. Lasalla historically has gotten the better of Naso.

Let’s see what occurs Friday.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:41 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:56 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister 8-)

Lack of humor ✅
Got it. Meaningless babble.

By the way, although I have never had a psychological problem as a health issue, I have loved ones and close friends who do.

Joking about psychological problems isn’t “humor.”

Just thought you should know.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Lack of humor ✅
Finster,

Enlightening!

So the local legal secretary seems to agree that at least some Hopkins fans probably have psychological problems and we don't want to offend them.

:lol:

Interested in hearing what the diagnosis is for being a self-proclaimed expert in everything and taking oneself waaaay too seriously?
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

random observer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:48 pmWiremen was also beaten by the Hopkins duo
When was that? Because uh...Maryland hasn't played Hopkins yet this year.
Finster

Post by Finster »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:52 pm
Lack of humor ✅
Finster,

Enlightening!

So the local legal secretary seems to agree that at least some Hopkins fans probably have psychological problems and we don't want to offend them.

:lol:

Interested in hearing what the diagnosis is for being a self-proclaimed expert in everything and taking oneself waaaay too seriously?

They’ll regulate humor out of the discourse, eventually.

A little light hearted commentary by me, where in a thread which simply says ‘Midseason AA’, I chuckled that a Hop fan would feel the need to insert a Hopkins-only AA list.

I mean, c’mon. :lol:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:22 pm

First Team:
Attack:
CJ Kirst (Cornell)
Pat Kavanagh (ND)
Brennan O'Neill (Duke)

Midfield:
Sam Handley (Penn)
Thomas McConvey (UVA)
Ryan Bell (Providence)

FO:
Jake Naso (Duke)

LSM:
Roy Meyer (BU)

SSDM:
Connor Maher (UNC)

Defense:
Gavin Adler (Cornell)
Brett Makar (Maryland)
Will Bowen (Georgetown)

Goalie:
Will Mark (Syracuse)
please.... expound.

I think I'm still disappointed that Adler didn't receive the Schmeisser Award last season.
i get it.
important to note that (i believe) voting is still done pre-nc$$. so at the beginning-ish of adler going crazy and locking down everything and with a platform. and for the stats freaks, slightly lower #s at that point.

also... usila tends to reward:
top teams' players
previous accolades

both of which put adler behind the eight ball. the good news is, adler will maybe be on a lot more equal footing this year vs others in those categories, plus the '22 nc$$ playoffs will be seared into coaches' minds. i'm not even sure all the coaches vote on this stuff, but i'm 100 they don't see anywhere near everyone's games. and i'd bet most watch most all of the playoffs, even if they don't admit it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”