Live Game Action

D1 Womens Lacrosse
PhanLax99

Re: Live Game Action

Post by PhanLax99 »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:06 pm Not seeing Baxter getting reps and experience at the draw as a bad thing at pretty much anytime in the game.
Yikes. Cornell starters 7. Syracuse sub line up 1. Things got to a 4 goal deficit with plenty of time left.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta love the young coach leaving her girls out there in a bit of a pressure situation.
Brings Nattie back and she immediately makes an impact.
Cuse's O is good...better with Carney.

Won't be any complaining about padding with the almost 20th goal....gorgeous as it was.
Bart

Post by Bart »

PhanLax99 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:24 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:06 pm Not seeing Baxter getting reps and experience at the draw as a bad thing at pretty much anytime in the game.
Yikes. Cornell starters 7. Syracuse sub line up 1. Things got to a 4 goal deficit with plenty of time left.
Good for Treanor for sticking with her reserves. Has to be a good morale boost for the entire team to have those kids stick it out.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Bart wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:31 pm
Good for Treanor for sticking with her reserves. Has to be a good morale boost for the entire team to have those kids stick it out.
I have a lot of respect for KT. She whole sale subbed with a 10 goal cushion. Cornell capitalized and got within 4. She added a couple back in with 3 min left and won handily. A bunch of players got quality minutes at a home game.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

tothedraw wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:27 am
I have a lot of respect for KT. She whole sale subbed with a 10 goal cushion. Cornell capitalized and got within 4. She added a couple back in with 3 min left and won handily. A bunch of players got quality minutes at a home game.
True but i also think this might be their downfall. KT knows this and she's trying to develop depth but Cuse just does not have it. 2 different occasions now we have seen the significant drop in quality from starters to backups.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:12 am
True but i also think this might be their downfall. KT knows this and she's trying to develop depth but Cuse just does not have it. 2 different occasions now we have seen the significant drop in quality from starters to backups.
Respectfully, this just seems, for a Tuesday night game, like the glass half emptiest way to look at the game and Syracuse and KT.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:41 am
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:12 am
Respectfully, this just seems, for a Tuesday night game, like the glass half emptiest way to look at the game and Syracuse and KT.
Completely agree, it seems like more of a “hoping” thing than an honest take on it. If I’m a Syracuse fan (and I’m not) and this is the worst thing that’s happened to my team so far this year, I’m feeling pretty damn good about my team. Obviously there’s a whole lot of season to go but as of today, 3/29/23, the biggest question for Syracuse is, can they beat Northwestern on a neutral field? That remains to be seen but they have passed every other test with flying colors.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Kayla was a senior when Cuse ill-advisedly made the trip to Canisius to play the second game of the day for them. This was the game that took a couple of months to complete as it was postponed part way through it due to heavy snow. Cuse was in trouble in that game, despite that Gary left his mostly bench players in and let them play. I thought it was gutsy of him, tipped my hat for his letting those girls feel the pressure and play to have to win. Grasshopper might very well have learned a little something from that experience, she didn't panic early last night and left her girls out there probably longer than most coaches would. Pretty sure Canius was up by a couple when that game was resumed (looooong time later). Of course under good playing conditions and with different players on the field it didn't take Cuse long to erase that deficit and go on to win but I liked the way Gary handled that. Kayla's not only a good player, she's been around some pretty good coaches too.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Anyone else find the “asterisk” comments about records on last night’s broadcast interesting? Pretty honest take I thought.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Got to disagree with most of the folks here.

While I admire, KT's desire to get Backups more time, wholesale subs are generally bad for all involved, especially against a decent team.

As a coach, putting a full 2nd string in rarely works. What is 100x better is keeping a few starters in for continuity and then running backups through. It gives the backups a chance to shine in a more structured way and can help starters develop more leadership ability.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Bart wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:07 am Anyone else find the “asterisk” comments about records on last night’s broadcast interesting? Pretty honest take I thought.
Yep, I did. It was refreshing. It's OK to asterisk when the circumstances really are materially different.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Bart wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:07 am Anyone else find the “asterisk” comments about records on last night’s broadcast interesting? Pretty honest take I thought.
I didn’t hear it what was the gist of it?
DMac

Post by DMac »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:12 am Got to disagree with most of the folks here.

While I admire, KT's desire to get Backups more time, wholesale subs are generally bad for all involved, especially against a decent team.

As a coach, putting a full 2nd string in rarely works. What is 100x better is keeping a few starters in for continuity and then running backups through. It gives the backups a chance to shine in a more structured way and can help starters develop more leadership ability.
Think there's a lot of truth here, maybe a learning lesson for the new young coach.
Of course, then if the starters score a couple of goals while still in there the piling
on screaming will be heard far and wide.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Madlax59 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:17 am
Wide brush stroke paraphrase…while the records being broken and new ones set are legitimate there may need to be an asterisk to explain the circumstances.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:12 am

Agreed
njbill

Post by njbill »

Bart wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:02 am
Wide brush stroke paraphrase…while the records being broken and new ones set are legitimate there may need to be an asterisk to explain the circumstances.
Ford Frick would agree.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

What circumstances? The only one I can really think of is the shot clock, and I think there is something in the record book that mentions that it was introduced in 2017.

If it’s about “extra games from 2020” that point is actually invalid IMO. I made a post about this last year. There are a number of players in the record books, who had traditional 4 year careers, and who still played more total career games than players who had the 5-6 games from the canceled 2020 season in addition to their 4 years.
Bart

Post by Bart »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:20 pm
What circumstances? The only one I can really think of is the shot clock, and I think there is something in the record book that mentions that it was introduced in 2017.

If it’s about “extra games from 2020” that point is actually invalid IMO. I made a post about this last year. There are a number of players in the record books, who had traditional 4 year careers, and who still played more total career games than players who had the 5-6 games from the canceled 2020 season in addition to their 4 years.
What are the circumstance of those players in the record books? Are these more career games due to play in the post season? Continuation of the season they are in?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

In my opinion its pretty simple for the sport of lacrosse. If you choose to play an extra year because of Covid, the 7 game Covid season should be eliminated from your career stats. It does not exist because you choice to take a full year instead. The fact that some players have extended seasons because they make the playoffs and maybe even the final four should not matter. They earned those extra games as part of the same year 4 seasons. You get 4 years to compete. Total number of games may vary depending on the teams success in any given year, but there is no possible reason why a player should get more than 4 years and include the partial Covid year. Just my opinion. There is a D1 basketball player this year who was only 4 points or so away from breaking the all time single season scoring record set by Pete Maverich decades ago. A record that most think will never be broken. PM set his record in I think 3 years of play by the way. The player this year had 5 FULL seasons because he had an extra Covid year. Its BS from a records/stats standpoint. The same is true for all winter and fall athletes who got 5 full years. Again, just my opinion.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Too many variables in my book. Some sports include postseason stats in their record keeping. Others, like baseball and football, keep their main stats on a regular season basis only. Come to think of it, give Reggie back his sack record! 21 sacks in a 12 game (strike shortened) season. No one else has come close to that.

In wlax, some changes that have produced more goals are developments in stick technology, the shot clock, and the elimination of shooting space fouls if the shot was taken simultaneously with a whistle. Should records set under those rules be kept separately from those from the wooden stick era? Not in my view.

In football, the rule changes in the passing game are probably more extreme than in any other sport, virtually all of which have favored the quarterbacks and the receivers. Should Tom Brady’s records be discounted because they were achieved under rules that were much more favorable than those that applied to his predecessors? I’m not a Brady fan at all, but my answer is “no.”

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”