NESCAC 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: NESCAC 2019

Post by DeepPocket »

ergit wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:53 pm presumably your son is playing for either Williams or Bates, it just seems to me that a bit of humility is in order.
Has got to be the case...
ergit wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:53 pm We can have honest discussions on this forum but we should expect the same level of sportsmanship that we expect of the players on the field.
Here here.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

[/quote]

As for the high school comment, you should really go take a look at the Atlantic East Conference. That is Cabrini and six high school teams. Gotta love the Cavaliers creating and joining a fraudulent conference solely to lock up an easy AQ spot every year - as if the CSAC wasn't easy enough already. What a joke.

[/quote]

Yes, how dare Cabrini's Lacrosse program make the decision to join a conference of academically similar, Catholic schools in the same geographic area...that their entire school made the jump to...

hard to bash a program when they aren't the ones making the call for the entire university athletic department
ah23

Post by ah23 »

ergit wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:53 pm ah23,

It is arrogance, plain and simple. I am not arguing the substance of your point.

Assuming that you have a vested interest in the NESCAC, presumably your son is playing for either Williams or Bates, it just seems to me that a bit of humility is in order.

There are 240 D3 men's lacrosse teams. The experience of a top ten or twenty, nationally ranked team is not the typical D3 experience. Most teams out there are simply trying to win more games than they lose, maybe just maybe win a conference championship, and enjoy the game they play and the camaraderie of their team.

I follow this board because my son plays D3 lacrosse. He is fortunate to play for a team that, year after year, is top ten ranked and competing for a national championship. They play the game hard but they treat all of their opponents with respect, regardless of the eventual result. I just don't think it's right to needlessly disparage the work or the ability of other teams to make your point.

We can have honest discussions on this forum but we should expect the same level of sportsmanship that we expect of the players on the field.
Nope - no kids (that's a future me thing). I used to play, and I currently do broadcasting in my spare time and thus watch a decent amount of games where ranked teams are involved. I'd say the same thing if the fourth/fifth NESCAC teams were Conn College and Middlebury rather than Williams and Bates. The color of the jersey is irrelevant - it's about what teams have done on the field.

Along those lines, I disagree that comparing teams is "needlessly disparaging" them. If it's "needlessly disparaging" to point out that the third/fourth/fifth place teams in other conferences are not on the same level as those in similar spots in the NESCAC - and to do so with research - then there is no way to compare conferences or teams and get an idea of who is deserving of an NCAA at-large bid. It's fine if you're not interested in engaging on the substance, but there is literally no other way to compare teams than to look at the substance: what their record is, who they play, and what kind of a resume you can put together from their results. The reason that teams (at least the top teams, as you acknowledge) put in the work that they do is to get a shot in the NCAA tournament. The differences - in strength of schedule, quality wins and losses, and other measurables - matter. Deserving teams should be rewarded.

I never questioned the work that any of the teams I mentioned put in. Everyone works hard.

I'll acknowledge that the Cabrini comment was out of line.

Good for your son. It's a lot more fun when the games matter.
caclax12

Post by caclax12 »

Can we get some All-nescac predictions going? Also whats the consensus on how much each of the following are valued in the decision-making process: statistics (goals & points for offense and GBS & CTOs for defense), team success, nescac coaches opinions, name recognition (past success and accolades), big game performances? Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on the 2nd question
Shock the World

Post by Shock the World »

All NESCAC predictions:
Attack
E. Wolf - Amherst
M. Chlastawa - Bates
D. Murphy - Tufts
C. Minicus - Amherst? (Missed some games due to injury)

Middie
B. Hoffman - Williams
M. Solberg - Amherst
M. Treiber - Tufts

FO - S. Morgan - Trinity
LSM - R. Stewart - Williams
SSM - J. McAfee - Amherst

Defense:
R. Fantoni - Bates
A. Broekmate - Tufts
C. Malarchuk - Wesleyan

Goalie - O. Bohan - Wesleyan
LordJefes01002

Post by LordJefes01002 »

Looking forward to another weekend of NESCAC lacrosse! Predictions?
guslax

Post by guslax »

Looking forward to a good weekend of lacrosse.

Middlebury over Tufts 15-12!
Shock the World

Predictions:
Wesleyan 13, Hamilton 7
Williams 16, Bowdoin 9
Amherst 16, Bates 14
Tufts 17, Midd 14
Colby 11, Trinity 5
Colorado College 12, Conn 11

*Lots of senior days tomorrow*
Shock the World

Prediction on final seedings for Nescac tournament:
1. Tufts
2. Wesleyan
3. Williams
4. Amherst
5. Bates
6. Colby
7. Middlebury
8. Trinity
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Shock the World, what are you basing Williams, Wesleyan, Amherst order on? Assuming all win their final games this week, wouldn’t they be in a three-way for 2nd? What is the tie breaker you are using to predict your order?
Shock the World

Since the three tying teams at #2 have one head to head win against each other, the seedings are then based on record within the top 4. Wesleyan is 2-1, Williams is 1-2, Amherst is 1-2. Now that Wesleyan is confirmed #2, Williams has the head to head over Amherst. **These are just predictions, I have no idea what will actually happy**

Use this link to further clarify:
https://www.nescac.com/sports/mlax/2017 ... nformation
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

League is quite strong at the top this year. Should be an excellent tournament.
Shock the World

Wednesdays NESCAC games:
Colby vs Bates *Game of the day*: Hard to see any big upset here, but Colby has been playing some great lacrosse lately (one loss in April). 15-10 Bates
Wes vs Conn: 16-7 Wes
Midd vs Williams: 15-9 Williams (has upset potential, but Midd is all over the place with their scores)
Amherst vs Trinity: 21-7 Amherst
Tufts vs Bowdoin: 22-9 Tufts
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Huge slate of NESCAC games today:

Colby vs Bates: 21-11 Bates
Midd vs Williams: 16-15 Midd (upset baby!)
Amherst vs Trinity: 23-9 Amherst
Tufts vs Bowdoin: 23-11 Tufts
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

sguy9 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:44 am Huge slate of NESCAC games today:

Colby vs Bates: 21-11 Bates
Midd vs Williams: 16-15 Midd (upset baby!)
Amherst vs Trinity: 23-9 Amherst
Tufts vs Bowdoin: 23-11 Tufts

I have to go with Williams by 5 or more. Hard to argue with the rest of your picks. Big day for sure.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

You are probably right. But the point is, in this league anything can happen. Midd is down this year, but they are still very good. Fun to watch all of these teams compete.

Go Bobcats!
guslax

Post by guslax »

Nothing like some NESCAC midweek lacrosse!

Panthers take down the Ephs 16-12.

Roll pants!
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Colby vs Bates: 21-11 Bates Closer than expected, good game overall 14-12 Bates
Wes vs Conn: 16-7 Wes Much closer than expected, 13-12 Wes
Midd vs Williams: 16-15 Midd (upset baby!) Williams 14-12, upset no, but good battle
Amherst vs Trinity: 23-9 Amherst 21-7 Jeffs (oops Mammoths) About right
Tufts vs Bowdoin: 23-11 Tufts 13-7 Tufts, lower scoring and slower pace than expected, but still not really close

Lesson of the final Wed in Nescac play, don't expect anything. These games were mostly pretty tight battles. Buckle up, tourney time!
Shock the World

Shock the World wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:59 am Wednesdays NESCAC games:
Colby vs Bates *Game of the day*: Hard to see any big upset here, but Colby has been playing some great lacrosse lately (one loss in April). 15-10 Bates
Midd vs Williams: 15-9 Williams (has upset potential, but Midd is all over the place with their scores)
Amherst vs Trinity: 21-7 Amherst
Tufts vs Bowdoin: 22-9 Tufts
Two potential upsets were predicted correctly (scores were not), but wow Wes barely squeaks by Conn. Any clarity on this game? Also Tufts with such a low scoring game against Bowdoin, traveling to Maine is very difficult.
Shock the World

Shock the World wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:33 pm Prediction on final seedings for Nescac tournament:
1. Tufts
2. Wesleyan
3. Williams
4. Amherst
5. Bates
6. Colby
7. Middlebury
8. Trinity
Here are the final seedings for the tournament. Any potential first round upsets? Midd vs Wesleyan has the potential... I don't see Amherst losing to Bates based off their last matchup.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”