Weekly Award: Best Individual Performances

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxreference

Weekly Award: Best Individual Performances

Post by laxreference »

Tuesday means Top EGA (expected goals added) performances of the week that was. Here's the 10 best statistical performances of the past 7 days in DIII MLAX.

weekly_ega_NCAAD3Men_20230328.jpg
weekly_ega_NCAAD3Men_20230328.jpg (151.51 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
SixBySix

Re: Weekly Award: Best Individual Performances

Post by SixBySix »

Out of curiosity, how do you get your game stats? The first one I checked against the official stats were incorrect.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

SixBySix wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:03 pm Out of curiosity, how do you get your game stats? The first one I checked against the official stats were incorrect.
It's based on the live stats stream that the teams publish and then once the NCAA site is updated it switches over to that. Which game/player was incorrect? I can check and make sure it's updated to the NCAA site. (It should be automatic, but sometimes there are issues.)
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

laxreference wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:28 pm
SixBySix wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:03 pm Out of curiosity, how do you get your game stats? The first one I checked against the official stats were incorrect.
It's based on the live stats stream that the teams publish and then once the NCAA site is updated it switches over to that. Which game/player was incorrect? I can check and make sure it's updated to the NCAA site. (It should be automatic, but sometimes there are issues.)
Swat v Arcadia, you have 30-36 GBs versus 46-42 from the Swat site (NCAA has 46 individual GBs awarded for Swat, I didn't check the Arcadia total). Similarly, you have them below 50% GBs against Stockton and Widener, which I'm showing as 42-39 and 40-29, respectively. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding what GB% represents.

Obviously not the most important stat of all time, but it made me wonder about the process for obtaining and uploading the game data.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

SixBySix wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:11 pm
laxreference wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:28 pm
Swat v Arcadia, you have 30-36 GBs versus 46-42 from the Swat site (NCAA has 46 individual GBs awarded for Swat, I didn't check the Arcadia total). Similarly, you have them below 50% GBs against Stockton and Widener, which I'm showing as 42-39 and 40-29, respectively. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding what GB% represents.

Obviously not the most important stat of all time, but it made me wonder about the process for obtaining and uploading the game data.
Good observation. It has to do with not wanting to duplicate FO win rate and GB win rates. I took a quick look at the numbers, and I believe the GB totals do not include faceoff ground balls. I don't want the GB wins numerator to include wins that are also included in the FO wins numerator. Said another way, GB win rate is only for non FOGO-won ground balls. That way there is no duplication and GB win rate is meant to be truly contested ground balls.

If you look at the individual player totals for GBs on the game page, you'll see that it adds up to way more than 30 for Swarthmore. Their contested GB win rate is less impressive when you exclude the GBs that were actually FO wins.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”