D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

Congratulations on the national title !
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:36 am Congratulations on the national title !
Playing the long game to recruit more canadians for Lax...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Finster

Post by Finster »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:40 am
10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:36 am Congratulations on the national title !

Don’t you owe me some wampum for being so wrong on your call?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Pfft !
Good luck collecting.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:47 am Pfft !
Good luck collecting.
Exactly.

You can’t take ride or die loyalty and the character to fight and uphill battle as a bet. Unless he wants some slightly used blankets. Don’t worry about that cough thats picked up shortly thereafter receipt…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Finster wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:43 am

Nope. My gambles aren’t irrationally emotional-but if you roll through Atlanta ever I’m happy to buy you the burger of your choice at The Vortex near where I live-theyre good I assure you.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:52 am
Nope. My gambles aren’t irrationally emotional-but if you roll through Atlanta ever I’m happy to buy you the burger of your choice at The Vortex near where I live-theyre good I assure you.

Done. Bring a few southern belles from UGA with you, preferably called Dixie or Skeeter.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Finster wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:56 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:52 am

Done. Bring a few southern belles from UGA with you, preferably called Dixie or Skeeter.
If we’re negotiating I’ll throw in some STEM girls from GaTech instead..
man:down

Post by man:down »

yes. right. off-ball movement. I meant that too. motion.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

man:down wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:02 pm I am confused. Coaches need to practice what they preach -

1) Raymond (and everyone on this chat) keeps saying that it is all about ball movement (and we saw how effective that was at the beginning of the Lehigh game and the Dartmouth game). But the PLAYERS ON THE FIELD DON'T DO IT. Do they think they are better pound-for-pound than the more highly recruited SU kid in front of them? Do they think they can just get it done themselves? If they do, its the coaches job to tell them otherwise. What we should hear from the Hobart sideline sideline is "1, 2, 3 move the ball - (group yells) MOVE THE BALL!" Datellis is crafty. Delano is quick. Greene is an athlete. Rosa has a nasty low to high rip... but none of those guys can do it alone. Hobart can't beat the A10 teams one one one, yet yesterday Hobart had ONE ASSIST. ONE! A no-look from Ward to Rosa on EMO. They need more of that - disciplined and patient IQ and feeding going on. If the kids on the field aren't doing it, move on to the next kids.

2) The goalie argument is dumb at this point. They are all good. So if that is the case, why don't the coaches go with the best leader and communicator - which Raymond has said is Holtby. The D was solid last year (just ask Bryant)with Holtby directing things. And this year we are seeing confusion and blown coverage and missed slides? Could that be a communication issue? Lets find out. See if Holtby gets it under control.

Lastly - roughly 41 kids on the sideline watching the starters fail to exacute against SU. Once the game is out of reach, see if the "next group" can execute and move the ball on O and communicate on D. Give THOSE kids a chance to play in the dome (like they were told when they were recruited). Maybe you see something that works? I sometimes wonder if Brundage and Fish even know who they have after their top 5 guys. That next group may be out of sight doing scout team stuff? Frustrating - with only a handful of games left.
We already have one of the biggest rosters out there. And I love that Raymond does all he can to travel with the whole squad. It is too bad there is not a JV schedule to develop the younger guys and get them game time experience.
ManDown, I don't disagree with you on anything, especially "none of these guys can do it alone." BTW, one guy I'd like to see more of is Ward, especially as a feeder. He's tall, has good eyes and good hands, and could play at X. But, I don't want to pretend to know what happens at practice. For team morale, I think the coach has to play the guys who do best all week. Regarding the goalie, didn't someone say Holtby has been injured? I think Elis has done pretty well, but I'd like to see Holtby get his shot again.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Holtby may have been injured. Though I did hear he was in practice late this week. He was on the sideline at Cuse looking ready to go. All we have left is league play. No offense to Wilson, he will be good. But if we want to at least make the A-10 conference tournament, I think Holtby gives us the best chance of that. Or have the coaches already given up on this season and looking to 2024?
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/61042

25th on offense and 63rd on defense . . . it's a miracle we have 4 wins . . .
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LeeRoggy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:11 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/61042

Reality is they feed off each other so if we had a better defensive output our offense would have more possessions and looks and probably be better.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

What's more scary about our defensive numbers is the fact that we do tend to value possessions and work the shot clock. As Greg is a defensive minded guy, very disappointing...
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

Hope the success of our hockey program motivates our lacrosse program to take that next step forward. I think all of us can get carried away with #'s and get lost in the compare game with other programs. At the end of the day - we simply need to be better in all facets: players & coaches & alum.

Being in a 1 bid league - these out of conference games are virtually meaningless. BUT does not mean we shouldnt win them, or compete any different. this is NOT a week to week fix - more so a need to get better every year - recruiting , development, coaching, athletic department improvements , Alumni etc. Its refining the process of becoming a national powerhouse.

Why cant hobart lacrosse be the way Union or SLU is with Hockey? Essentially a 1 - 1 comparison. D3 school finding ways for thier D1 programs to succeed at the highest level.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

eldeststatesman wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:46 pm Hope the success of our hockey program motivates our lacrosse program to take that next step forward. I think all of us can get carried away with #'s and get lost in the compare game with other programs. At the end of the day - we simply need to be better in all facets: players & coaches & alum.

Being in a 1 bid league - these out of conference games are virtually meaningless. BUT does not mean we shouldnt win them, or compete any different. this is NOT a week to week fix - more so a need to get better every year - recruiting , development, coaching, athletic department improvements , Alumni etc. Its refining the process of becoming a national powerhouse.

Why cant hobart lacrosse be the way Union or SLU is with Hockey? Essentially a 1 - 1 comparison. D3 school finding ways for thier D1 programs to succeed at the highest level.
# of starters and rosters are a big difference (or at least actual meaningful rotation players).
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:00 pm
eldeststatesman wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:46 pm Hope the success of our hockey program motivates our lacrosse program to take that next step forward. I think all of us can get carried away with #'s and get lost in the compare game with other programs. At the end of the day - we simply need to be better in all facets: players & coaches & alum.

# of starters and rosters are a big difference (or at least actual meaningful rotation players).
Thank you for answering the somewhat rhetorical , somewhat sarcastic question. Its very obvious that different sport means different landscape - however the premise still remains.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

eldeststatesman wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:04 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:00 pm

Thank you for answering the somewhat rhetorical , somewhat sarcastic question. Its very obvious that different sport means different landscape - however the premise still remains.
Well actually no. It’s why NCAA BB has all these new FF teams from small conferences but you don’t see that happening in FB. The premise isn’t the same in general let alone at a underfunded, weak endowment 2,000 student liberal arts college (that’s dropped like 25 places in USNWR the last two decades and is miles behind the high nine figure and low 10 figure endowed institutions compared with). We made the frozen four with a goalie a some decent players early last decade. There’s even limitations to what Bryant, Del and others have done in lacrosse with an elite singular player. Hockey one guy makes a much bigger difference than lacrosse.

More reasonable goal is making the NCAAs 1/3-4yrs and making it to round 2 once every 10-15yrs. That’s the limitation in this sport.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

LeeRoggy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:11 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/61042

Coach Raymond said in the preseason podcast that last years defensive efficiency ranking (it was 56th I think) was the reason for making the starting goalie an open/"weekly" competition. Well.... the team has obviously dropped. With the exception of Dan Ryan graduating, Holtby not being in goal, it's basically the same D unit. I'll even venture to say our SSDMs are a bit better this season. So, what has actually changed? Our starting goalie and a new D coach................
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

I know that this is a lacrosse forum. but I would really like to know why our rank as a school has fallen in most major publications. When I was applying to Hobart in 1986, we were at the same level as Skidmore, which would have been my second choice. In today's rankings, however, Skidmore is held in much higher regard than Hobart. What has led to their rise and Hobart's fall?

I do not want to hijack this thread, so if someone wants to DM me and point me to a more appropriate place for this discussion, that would be fine with me.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”