CNU 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Re: CNU 2023

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:46 am CNU should be very well equipped to be a top 10 program for years to come. CNU has one of the best resourced athletic departments in D3. There's a reason why almost every team in almost every sport at CNU is nationally competitive year after year. MLax is just now catching up to what most sports at CNU have been doing for a while. On top of that, they have a lot of advantages when it comes to recruiting VA. In-state tuition, near the beach, and very few other public university options for VA kids wanting to play lacrosse. Until they win a national championship 'dynasty' is a silly word to use, but you'd be crazy to think the program is a flash in the pan.
These comments are more in line with what I was suggesting. No one is repeating what Hobart or Salisbury has done going forward. There are too many good players and teams out there. I’m just suggesting that between the demographics of the game , location , cost of tuition and what’s become a very competitive program CNU will continue to feed at the margin of in state programs in what was the domain of Lynchburg Roanoke and HSC programs. CNU has arrived and will be a consistent thorn in the side of the ODAC
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:59 pm
aroundtheoutside wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:46 am CNU should be very well equipped to be a top 10 program for years to come. CNU has one of the best resourced athletic departments in D3. There's a reason why almost every team in almost every sport at CNU is nationally competitive year after year. MLax is just now catching up to what most sports at CNU have been doing for a while. On top of that, they have a lot of advantages when it comes to recruiting VA. In-state tuition, near the beach, and very few other public university options for VA kids wanting to play lacrosse. Until they win a national championship 'dynasty' is a silly word to use, but you'd be crazy to think the program is a flash in the pan.
These comments are more in line with what I was suggesting. No one is repeating what Hobart or Salisbury has done going forward. There are too many good players and teams out there. I’m just suggesting that between the demographics of the game , location , cost of tuition and what’s become a very competitive program CNU will continue to feed at the margin of in state programs in what was the domain of Lynchburg Roanoke and HSC programs. CNU has arrived and will be a consistent thorn in the side of the ODAC
Agreed Dehunt. The days of dynasties are long gone but CNU has the coaching and recruiting to make them a mainstay in the Top 10 for years to come.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

I can see your point. CNU will be a competitive program. I see no reason they will drop out of the top 20 anytime soon. They will struggle to get out of state talent (unless they don’t mind spending 45k/yr).
I also don’t think CNU attracts the same type of student as HSC, Roanoke, Lynchburg.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:25 pm
I can see your point. CNU will be a competitive program. I see no reason they will drop out of the top 20 anytime soon. They will struggle to get out of state talent (unless they don’t mind spending 45k/yr).
I also don’t think CNU attracts the same type of student as HSC, Roanoke, Lynchburg.
As far as academics are concerned other than W&L, ACT scores are similar for HSC, Noke and Lynchburg as well as CNU
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:06 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:25 pm
As far as academics are concerned other than W&L, ACT scores are similar for HSC, Noke and Lynchburg as well as CNU
I wasn’t speaking academically. All of those schools have smart kids. ODAC attracts more country. CNU attracts more politically leaning. Just in general. Not a blanket statement
lando622

Post by lando622 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:25 pm I can see your point. CNU will be a competitive program. I see no reason they will drop out of the top 20 anytime soon. They will struggle to get out of state talent (unless they don’t mind spending 45k/yr).
CNU's 54-player roster has 27 from VA and 27 from out-of-state: 6 each from PA and MD; 5 from NJ; 2 each from NY, NC, FL; and 1 each from MI, OH, RI and CT.

By class year: the one 6th year is from VA; For out-of-state, it's: 1 of 3 5th years; 7 of 15 seniors; 4 of 13 juniors; 3 of 7 sophomores and 12 of 15 freshmen. Total of 15 of 22 sophomores/freshmen are from out-of-state. Recent program success may be attracting wider pool of players to consider CNU as an option despite the OOS tuition.

Doing a quick count of OOS players on the ODAC teams mentioned, Lynchburg has 41, Roanoke has 39 and HSC has 26. I wasn't aware the OOS numbers were so high for those schools.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

45k for a public school is outrageous l. But there will always be kids/families out there that don’t mind paying close to 200k to get kids on a roster.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

I haven't been around the program at all, other than watching game webcasts the past few years. Love the body language I see from the coaching staff. Thompson seems to be in for the long haul and for the right reasons. Which I think ultimately creates normalized ups and downs; and the opportunity for longevity.

I have this thing as a former player when I see a coach center themselves around the reward, I throw up in my mouth. You might fool a few classes of talented kids with that junk, but eventually your true colors show. My example for that is always Cantabene. No sour grapes there, I never played against him. But I'll never forget the picture of him holding the trophy, and watching the celebration. Not a pot shot, just something I genuinely think shows the current and future student athletes the priorities. Is it them? Or is it the coaches ego? Thompson seems more likely to stand on the side and take joy in watching his players' joy.

Loved the RIT game and result. Excited to see how Berkman attacks you all this year.
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

My son played for CNU, out of state - one of the reasons he attended was the budget for their athletic department. They spend the most money in D3. It shows with all their team’s success. The campus and the facilities was very impressive. The school is basically new. President Trible believed in sports and was the number fan for all the teams, he especially loved the lacrosse team. I wouldn’t be surprised if coach Thompson is the highest paid in D3. The out of state tuition costs as much as any other school.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Wall Ball wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:44 pm
My son played for CNU, out of state - one of the reasons he attended was the budget for their athletic department. They spend the most money in D3. It shows with all their team’s success. The campus and the facilities was very impressive. The school is basically new. President Trible believed in sports and was the number fan for all the teams, he especially loved the lacrosse team. I wouldn’t be surprised if coach Thompson is the highest paid in D3. The out of state tuition costs as much as any other school.
He might be well compensated but it’s unlikely he’s the highest paid in D3. Now cost of living is good there, so when you take that into account yeah maybe. He’s a state employee so it may be possible to look up his compensation
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Yes, there are a few out of state schools that are expensive, but out of pocket, CNU is one of the most expensive out of state schools. It was the most expensive school we looked at. Most out of state schools will give scholarships to get cost down. CNU offered 5k off a 46k sticker. I have talked to at least 10 others that all got the same offer from CNU
Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:49 am
He might be well compensated but it’s unlikely he’s the highest paid in D3. Now cost of living is good there, so when you take that into account yeah maybe. He’s a state employee so it may be possible to look up his compensation

You actually can look it up, and if you do, you’ll realize he is well underpaid for what he has accomplished and brings to CNU. He would probably make a lot more at a private college or university or in the private sector. Most coaches do it for the love of the game not the money. CNU is very lucky to have Mikey and the 2 assistants who are also well underpaid.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxisback wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:09 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:49 am

You actually can look it up, and if you do, you’ll realize he is well underpaid for what he has accomplished and brings to CNU. He would probably make a lot more at a private college or university or in the private sector. Most coaches do it for the love of the game not the money. CNU is very lucky to have Mikey and the 2 assistants who are also well underpaid.
As with many D3 coaches, I figured that was the case. It’s an unfortunate reality that many high level coaches face.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

CNU needs to get things rolling in the 2nd half. Very slow start with HSC with a 5-3 lead so far with 4min remaining in the 2nd. Making their goalie look very good with bad shots
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

Good second half by CNU this weekend. Goalie made some timely saves to keep the momentum in their favor. I must say though CNU talks a lot of crap to the other team for a school that has never won anything.....
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

MDlacrosse45 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:36 pm Good second half by CNU this weekend. Goalie made some timely saves to keep the momentum in their favor. I must say though CNU talks a lot of crap to the other team for a school that has never won anything.....
What are you talking about? CNU has won the last 4 national championships in d3 lax.

Haven’t they?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pm
MDlacrosse45 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:36 pm Good second half by CNU this weekend. Goalie made some timely saves to keep the momentum in their favor. I must say though CNU talks a lot of crap to the other team for a school that has never won anything.....
What are you talking about? CNU has won the last 4 national championships in d3 lax.

Haven’t they?
Heard they’re going DI
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:59 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pm

Haven’t they?
Heard they’re going DI
100%. No joke
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Stop being so soft.. trash talk is part of the game. Some of the worst teams I’ve played against talked the best crap because they were just having fun.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

This isn’t girls lacrosse. Take your softness somewhere else. Every team in college trash talks. Part of the game.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”