Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
VeryRustyRed

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by VeryRustyRed »

If someone had told me prior to the game that Cornell would be down to Penn 4-1 a few minutes in, and with no Long, there's no way I would have thought the boys would be able to put up 18. Almost everyone who saw PT played up to or exceeded his potential. The coaches also made some excellent adjustments (see below).
-One of a few keys to the game was Cornell's dominance facing off...and therefore possession time (more "O" touches for us and less for a dangerous Penn team). All three FOGOS - 20, 28, 3 worked hard, and there was no giving up going after GBs by wings. And what I love about the rotation is that all three have different FO styles and body types. 'Also like the decision to start (last week and today) with 20, the biggest and strongest of the three. Not coincidentally, the FO dominance was greatest in the 3rd and 4th quarters, when Cornell pulled away.
-Best line of the day - after Coyle took a big hit, QK said words to the effect "that Coyle is the 3rd toughest kid on campus behind Vito A and Yianni D." Wonder if it was extemporaneous. I find listening to him much better when he's not working with Carc. They can sort of egg one another on with hyperbole.
Offense:
-I started off concerned when I saw Penn really packed in low, very PSU-like. No interior passing opportunities. And we were doing too much individual one-on-one trying to win matchups. I thought to myself we'll have to score in transition before they match up and/or by creating hands-free outside looks via picks or reversals. Either the scheme or execution totally changed as the O moved the ball very well. They did a lot of big-little sets trying to get Kirst on short stick. Also very effective in the 3rd and 4th quarters were X-dodges where Penn had to engage the dodger and strong side wing. The dodger was then passing inside out to an offside middie - I think Blake and Kelleher had three on this scheme. As the game went on, it was obvious that Penn's once packed in D kept getting spread wider and wider.
-The only person I've ever referred to as "lacrosse savant" is Teat. I now believe Kirst is as well. Not only is he so instinctive, he must be f'in strong to do some of the things he does in and around traffic.
-Middies - all played within themselves - particularly important for 27 (who can get sloppy), 2, and 31.
-Some nice personnel and scheme tweaks on the EMO worked well. 'Like seeing Lombardi on top.
Defense:
While being able to contain Handley with Adler, helped by what must have been a huge advantage in possession time, the D held up...for the most part. Penn has a big advantage given the size of their mids against 5, 6, and 13. Got burned a few times, but everyone, as usual worked, so hard. Against Penn, learned one lesson - can't slide to help a pole, only to an ss -Davis got burned once moving to help Adler on Handley leaving a middie with hands free for a goal.
-I've previously written then Follows doesn't get enough cred. Add Singer to the last. On the next to the last play of game, Penn tried to "post" Handley against Adler at GLE. Singer came over to support and took a great hit on Handley. And catch the YouTube clips of him last week leveling Brandau and I think Johnson. He's very solid.
-Bozzi - I'm sure the Haverford School grad loved scoring twice against Penn. He's also developed so much between seasons.
-Ierlan - no soft goals and a few "special ones". One at 9-9 or 9-8 was really terrific. And important at the time.
Other:
-As QK said, he likes the way Cornell is playing, even without Long. But they need to stay healthy.
-It's been a while since Cornell opened the Ivy season going 2-0 vs. Yale and Penn.
-My personal model for a HC's game related role divides responsibilities into three components - player development, game prep, and in-game coaching. Cornell's results certainly speak to the former two; but in-game coaching...from tactical adjustments, to great use of time outs, to player rotation by Coach B (and Stevens) is A+.
*Need to hold form. It's a long season.
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:05 pm If someone had told me prior to the game that Cornell would be down to Penn 4-1 a few minutes in, and with no Long, there's no way I would have thought the boys would be able to put up 18. Almost everyone who saw PT played up to or exceeded his potential. The coaches also made some excellent adjustments (see below).
-One of a few keys to the game was Cornell's dominance facing off...and therefore possession time (more "O" touches for us and less for a dangerous Penn team). All three FOGOS - 20, 28, 3 worked hard, and there was no giving up going after GBs by wings. And what I love about the rotation is that all three have different FO styles and body types. 'Also like the decision to start (last week and today) with 20, the biggest and strongest of the three. Not coincidentally, the FO dominance was greatest in the 3rd and 4th quarters, when Cornell pulled away.
-Best line of the day - after Coyle took a big hit, QK said words to the effect "that Coyle is the 3rd toughest kid on campus behind Vito A and Yianni D." Wonder if it was extemporaneous. I find listening to him much better when he's not working with Carc. They can sort of egg one another on with hyperbole.
Offense:
-I started off concerned when I saw Penn really packed in low, very PSU-like. No interior passing opportunities. And we were doing too much individual one-on-one trying to win matchups. I thought to myself we'll have to score in transition before they match up and/or by creating hands-free outside looks via picks or reversals. Either the scheme or execution totally changed as the O moved the ball very well. Also very effective in the 3rd and 4th quarters were X-dodges where Penn had to engage the dodger and strong side wing. The dodger was then passing inside out to an offside middie - I think Blake and Kelleher had three on this scheme. As the game went on, it was obvious that Penn's once packed in D kept getting spread wider and wider.
-The only person I've ever referred to as "lacrosse savant" is Teat. I now believe Kirst is as well. Not only is he so instinctive, he must be f'in strong to do some of the things he does in and around traffic.
-Middies - all played within themselves - particularly important for 27 (who can get sloppy), 2, and 31.
-Some nice personnel and scheme tweaks on the EMO worked well. 'Like seeing Lombardi on top.
Defense:
While being able to contain Handley with Adler, helped by what must have been a huge advantage in possession time, the D held up...for the most part. Penn has a big advantage given the size of their mids against 5, 6, and 13. Got burned a few times, but everyone, as usual worked, so hard. Against Penn, learned one lesson - can't slide to help a pole, only to an ss -Davis got burned once moving to help Adler on Handley leaving a middie with hands free for a goal.
-I've previously written then Follows doesn't get enough cred. Add Singer to the last. On the next to the last play of game, Penn tried to "post" Handley against Adler at GLE. Singer came over to support and took a great hit on Handley. And catch the YouTube clips of him last week leveling Brandau and I think Johnson. He's very solid.
-Bozzi - I'm sure the Haverford School grad loved scoring twice against Penn. He's also developed so much between seasons.
-Ierlan - no soft goals and a few "special ones". One at 9-9 or 9-8 was really terrific. And important at the time.
Other:
-As QK said, he likes the way Cornell is playing, even without Long. But they need to stay healthy.
-It's been a while since Cornell opened the Ivy season going 2-0 vs. Yale and Penn.
-My personal model for a HC's game related role divides responsibilities into three components - player development, game prep, and in-game coaching. Cornell's results certainly speak to the former two; but in-game coaching...from tactical adjustments, to great use of time outs, to player rotation by Coach B (and Stevens) is A+.
*Need to hold form. It's a long season.
Great points about the coaching. Y'know we expect players to develop from frosh to senior. What if coaches similarly develop over time? 😁😁😁😁
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:04 pm on the one hand, we really shouldn't be complaining about our 1st world problem here. can u believe how much lacrosse we can watch now compared to 10+ years ago?

on the other hand, it's like no one cares what is getting put out there re: commentary. or it's encouraged. either way... maybe one day that, too, will change.
While I agree that it certainly qualifies as one of those nice problems to have, and while I never really complain about the announcers when I watch the game (I mostly just tune them out), ESPN's insistence on prohibiting local radio broadcasts is petty and frustrating. I doubt the local broadcasts ate into their market significantly, and in eliminating them entirely and replacing them with their own shoddy product, I think they've done the community a disservice.

I feel Anish and Quint could be pretty decent, which makes it even more frustrating. Both are very knowledgeable, Quint's breakdowns after goals are nice, Anish's play-by-play (when he bothers) is solid. I don't know why they can't just announce the damn game.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

"Quaker Notemeal'" - lmfao

Effin' classic
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Did Mike Long play in today's game?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:44 pm Did Mike Long play in today's game?
No.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
semsox

Post by semsox »

Glass half empty: He didn't play
Glass half full: He didn't play and they were able to put up 18 goals
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

No, Anish and/or Quint said it was a “game time decision,” so hopefully he’ll be available again soon.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

laxjuris wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:57 pm ... so hopefully he’ll be available again soon.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:18 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:05 pm Handley went 3-1 for Penn, but when Adler was covering him, he only had 1-1. Another Adler shutdown.
Yes, and that was all Handley as Adler was all over him, doing what he should do but Handley has a howitzer, and he got off a great shot. You have to watch along time to actually see Adler actually get beat. It just doesn't happen very often.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Yeah, that was nuts. Adler was playing low for leverage, and Handley was like “ok, i’ll just shoot over you.” Rocket shot into the upper corner. Just sick.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

OSU defeated Rutgers 11-7, helping the Big Red's national ranking, SOS and RPI. The Big Red will be #5 tomorrow. Prediction: 1. Virginia; 2. Maryland; 3. Notre Dame: 4. Duke; 5. Cornell.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Much better video:

Penn vs Cornell Lacrosse Highlights | 2023 College Lacrosse | NCAA Lacrosse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5buBNP3OaLw
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

MoralTerp - yes, that was a rocket Handley fired. However, it didn't mean much. By matching Adler on Handley rather than Cornell's LSMs, Handley was limited to one goal while matched with Adler - and most important, as intended, he was unable to facilitate his teammates in beating Cornell. Adler didn't need or rarely got close support.
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Jack Cascadden; Ivy League Rookie of the Week

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2023/3/2 ... -week.aspx
molo

Post by molo »

Adler on Handley was like Petro on Gait: your best defeoon their best offensive player regardless of whether that means someone who usually plays close on a middie. Great matchup but Cornell has more good players than Penn. when you have to run your best middie at attack and have to play your top lsm at both lsm and ssdm, you are being creative against a team that has more horses. I know some Ivy fans find it offensive that an Ivy reject dared to weigh in on the league, but Cornell is deeper than the rest of the Ivy teams who have some excellent players but not as many good ones.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Was thinking the same while watching the game and listening to the commentators. Adler is one of those D men with incredible ability, athleticism, and Malinois like intensity, he's a mighty good one for sure. Was lucky enough to see the Petro-Gait match up live a couple of times and I'd describe Petro's play pretty much the same as Adler's, both phenomenal. Who you have around you matters a whole lot (Paul had 4g 2a in the championship game) when you have a D man who can neutralize (and Petro did neutralize Gary) your big gun O man like that. I agree, Cornell looks to be the best of the Ivies to me too...a very good looking team.
Oh, and don't worry about offending those Ivy boys, they're generally a friendly lot....'cept for one maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buX-RaEG3YA
molo

Post by molo »

Friendly, polite, and just a tad condescending.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:16 pm MoralTerp - yes, that was a rocket Handley fired. However, it didn't mean much. By matching Adler on Handley rather than Cornell's LSMs, Handley was limited to one goal while matched with Adler - and most important, as intended, he was unable to facilitate his teammates in beating Cornell. Adler didn't need or rarely got close support.
True enough. He neutralized Handley as well as anyone could. BTW thanks for your excellent game reviews.

So the Big Red have beaten Yale and Penn by an average of 8 goals, avenging two of their three Ivy losses from last year. Really impressive what Buczek is doing in only his second full year… I’m not sure there’s a more physical and hardworking team than Cornell. And with the talent they have… sky is the limit.

Does Kirst get the Tewy this year over Shellenberger?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:21 pm
VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:16 pm MoralTerp - yes, that was a rocket Handley fired. However, it didn't mean much. By matching Adler on Handley rather than Cornell's LSMs, Handley was limited to one goal while matched with Adler - and most important, as intended, he was unable to facilitate his teammates in beating Cornell. Adler didn't need or rarely got close support.
True enough. He neutralized Handley as well as anyone could. BTW thanks for your excellent game reviews.

So the Big Red have beaten Yale and Penn by an average of 8 goals, avenging two of their three Ivy losses from last year. Really impressive what Buczek is doing in only his second full year… I’m not sure there’s a more physical and hardworking team than Cornell. And with the talent they have… sky is the limit.

Does Kirst get the Tewy this year over Shellenberger?
My guess is whoever goes furthest in the NCAA Tournament. It seems to be between Shellenberger, Kirst and Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh is a senior and the last time he's eligible. Kirst and Shellenberger are juniors. All are established great players.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Forecast for the Big Saturday, Cornell/Dartmouth game at the Kopf at noon looks warm, high near 60, but about 70-80% chance of rain.
If the rain can hold off, should be another great day at Schoellkopf.
Gobigred
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”