Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Old Lax Fan

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Old Lax Fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:56 am
Old Lax Fan wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:55 am Who started the second half in goal for Hopkins?
The first two saves in that half are credited to Marcille.
Caracciolo, the transfer from Bryant.

Like I said the box score is a mess
So then Caracciolo allowed 5 goals and made 5 saves, which is better then he gets credit for in the box score.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:15 am
nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:26 pm Has this team actually played a "good" game yet? I don't think they have. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does it mean that they're not actually good or that they haven't yet played up to their potential?
This team fights to the final whistle. We haven’t seen that in a while, frankly. To respond to your question, Blue Jays have not put together four stellar quarters. They have not played a game where they fired on all cylinders. They have never quite performed a complete “A” game.

These Blue Jays can get much better.

Which is very encouraging.

Several aspects of their game have improved compared to the Petro era … gbs, caused turnovers, and now … A RIDE.

The glitches still show from time to time, but this team is developing a real identity and chemistry. They’re aggressive and do the blue collar stuff well … physical, grinding play.

Coaches made some tough adjustments, including a goalie change that proved beneficial. This team actually has some depth now at all positions.

DocBarrister
How did the Petro era win 2 national titles etc. w/o causing turnovers, competing for gbs, riding etc. as you claim, You were around. Your insight would be educational.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Also notice the jet plane style heater on the sideline - the weather unfortunately was as advertised. Credit to both teams putting out an ebntertaining game in those conditions. Other thoughts - with the caveat how bad the box score is:
- Ground balls was again a huge story - despite it apparently being an over-rated statistic - but facing a 39% face-off percentage you out gb the opponent by 7 and you take in 11 more gbs from non face-off men - there's one of the most tangible differences between the 22 and 23 editions of the team.
- NIce to see 43 shots despite the weather and more than a few shot clocks
- Not the worst job on the Michigan attack - 4 goals/5 assists but only 2 assists after halftime - first half Hopkins defense had some uncontrolled silly moments i.e. you usually don't see Smith take such a unbalanced approach to someone making that guy more dangerous than he was originally
- Michigan's mid-field defense was actually quite good - nothing for any of the starting midfielders except for a Peshko assist. I think they saw 8 of the 12 goals from middies in the Delaware game and did a good job in taking that away. Outside shooting from Grimes/Degnon and Melendez was the equalizer
- HF 16 put forth you will see Marcille in goal this coming Saturday - he's probably right - but I wouldn't be shocked to see Carocciolo - as I brought up before - if you take the Syracuse game off the table for a second - Marcille has seen exactly 100 shots between the pipes in the last 4.5 out of 5.5 games. He has saved 42 of them. SO the comeback to that is Hopkins has won 5 out of 6 of those games AND he was the difference in the Syracuse game. I am not sure what you do because if you put Save % as job #1 - the metric has unquestionably dropped off as of late. There is absolutely zero question as to Marcille's character and leadership.
- I guess Grimes can stay another week
- On the 10 man ride debacle - I too would have questioned the timing BUT it's a great example of hindsight and poor execution. It somewhat appeared that the Hopkins attack was not in a 10 man - otherwise how does the goalie walk straight up the field - make one pass to a defensemen and Degnon is not really in the picture and 19 for Michigan gets to midfield unimpeded? Isn't the purpose of the 10 man to have a hat on everyone? If it had created a turnover and an easy goal I wager most would be calling Koesterer a genius for switching it up but of course now Milliman's an idiot.
- As I posted before - this Rutgers game is the biggest regular season game @ Homewood since the Triple OT loss to Maryland in '18. If the rain holds off the temperatures are forecast to be quite pleasant - low 70's. A win gives you a Top 10 win and puts you into a position to really compete for one of the byes in the BIG tournament or at least the home field in the first round game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:00 am - As I posted before - this Rutgers game is the biggest regular season game @ Homewood since the Triple OT loss to Maryland in '18. If the rain holds off the temperatures are forecast to be quite pleasant - low 70's. A win gives you a Top 10 win and puts you into a position to really compete for one of the byes in the BIG tournament or at least the home field in the first round game.
First time the Jays will play a game at Homewood in April while ranked in the top 10 since that '18 Maryland game. Been far too long.

We are up to #5 in the RPI, though today's Cornell/Penn and Rutgers/OSU games could shake things up a bit. Georgetown is up to #14, Jacksonville is hanging on by a thread at #19. Michigan (#23), Delaware (#25), Syracuse (#29), and Utah (#31) are all in the mix. St. Joe's and Navy are way out of the picture. Remaining opponents: Rutgers (#11), Penn State (#7), OSU (#18), Maryland (#4). Losses to Virginia (#3), Loyola (#9), and UNC (#10) won't hurt us. We certainly have more work to do but I'd rather be us right now than a lot of other teams.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Boy I am very rarely in the position to agree with DocB ever and I am not sure it is useful or fair to this year's team to continue comparisons but it's what happens typically when a legend leaves for one reason or another but there is some context:
- First on caused turnovers, Petro's style and defense was never predicated on high pressure/high volume of caused turnovers - O'C you used to educate people on this topic. He always had a specific plan in place to try and deal with the opponents knowns - keep everything in front of you - slide help recover and let the goalie see the shot. I believe your almost exact words were "Petro never believed the constant risk was worth the occasional reward - especially in the age of the new sticks"
- Second, there is some error of recency here - you have the years 2001-8 where the talent level of the Hopkins teams led unquestionably to more ground balls - when you are routinely winning face-offs at 60+% and you have generational players that don't turn the ball over and go get the ground balls then you have stats like '03/4/5 where Hopkins routinely had 80-100 more ground balls than opponents. Then starting in 2009 - if Hopkins had a Dolente or Poppleton that won 65% of the face-offs - Hopkins usually had more groundballs than opponents - if not then gbs were typically dead even or the opponents had more. Petro's last full season - opponents had 8 more gbs than Hopkins despite Hopkins winning 54% of face-offs. What is different this year is Mazzone has exactly as many ground balls as Dunn - tied for first on the team - that hasn't happened with Hopkins in a while I would imagine. And Hawley has 22 and Raposo has 9 - wings are a light years better.
- Riding - I don't know that there has been a significant difference - 84% opponent clearing percentage to date strikes me as better than some recent years - but even last year it was almost 90% so these comparisons are barstool arguments
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:00 am Also notice the jet plane style heater on the sideline - the weather unfortunately was as advertised. Credit to both teams putting out an ebntertaining game in those conditions.
I actually used to rent very similar heaters. To give you an idea that's probably a 400k btu heater which would adequately heat roughly 20k sq ft with a 10' ceiling. Those things are beasts.

Really impressed with the steps HOP has made this year. Definitely punching above their weight. Beat dem terps!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:33 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:15 am
nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:26 pm Has this team actually played a "good" game yet? I don't think they have. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does it mean that they're not actually good or that they haven't yet played up to their potential?
This team fights to the final whistle. We haven’t seen that in a while, frankly. To respond to your question, Blue Jays have not put together four stellar quarters. They have not played a game where they fired on all cylinders. They have never quite performed a complete “A” game.

These Blue Jays can get much better.

Which is very encouraging.

Several aspects of their game have improved compared to the Petro era … gbs, caused turnovers, and now … A RIDE.

The glitches still show from time to time, but this team is developing a real identity and chemistry. They’re aggressive and do the blue collar stuff well … physical, grinding play.

Coaches made some tough adjustments, including a goalie change that proved beneficial. This team actually has some depth now at all positions.

DocBarrister
How did the Petro era win 2 national titles etc. w/o causing turnovers, competing for gbs, riding etc. as you claim, You were around. Your insight would be educational.
With a FO win percentage of 0.597 and a passive position oriented defense that allowed Jesse Schwartzmann to earn a 0.626 save percentage. Causing turnovers wasn’t even an official statistic at the time. Indeed, the NOW LEGENDARY 2005 team lost the turnover battle against their opponents (190 Hopkins turnovers to 164 for their opponents). Just wasn’t their focus (despite Peter LeSueur being excellent on the ride). Remember, one of the foundational principles behind the passive position oriented defense was that modern lacrosse sticks made it futile to try and cause turnovers with stick checks.

https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... stats/2005

Plus, it didn’t hurt to have two future hall of famers on the first midfield line.

That was a different time. Even a different Petro era than what came later. It’s no longer enough to force an opposing shooter to his off-hand and have him shoot from 12-15 yards out and depend on your goalie to make the save … plenty of today’s shooters can score like that. Today, defenders always need to be on the shooters hands or body or better yet prevent the shot altogether. Petro’s 2005 defense was actually designed to give up certain shots. Today, you don’t want to give up a shot at all. Get aggressive, cause a turnover, initiate offense.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-Sun wasn't out but the guns came out. Mr. Grimes who I've given the pinata treatment to quite a bit here over his career really stepped up yesterday and crushed it. Degnon and Melendez as well were en fuego.
-Doc B predicted Durkin's freshman year he'd be a national defenseman of the year.
-Deans played early his freshman year and has come back and really played aggressively. The amount of caused turnovers our lsms and ssdms have had to close out games has been tremendous.
-I said before the game-remember message board all americans are undefeated-that we had more paths to a win and Michigan had more paths to a loss. Collison, Bauer, Chauvette, Evans, et al either didn't play or didn't have big games, Marcille struggled and we still won. It's hard to know what to make of a team that closes games with a 14-3 4th quarter advantage. They were incredibly mediocre again in the middle of the game but rallied late. Michigan's shooting and ball control were not the best. They hit the side of the net more than any team we've played this year and they missed a few wide open looks. That effort against maryland/uva/loyola/unc gets an 18-9 empty the bench crushing loss.
-I thought gib did well in his appearance earlier this year, I wasn't sure why he didn't get the nod.
-Looked like Brother Mazone had a rough go early
-We're sub 500 at faceoffs this year which is surprising but we get just enough of them I guess
-It was really really great to see/hear Schwartzmann. Talking up the maryland public school system, "the shirtless students look like they're consuming quite a few frat sodas tonight", constant "dude" references. Mark Bryan, Kevin Huntley, "the smoker", Kenny Mayne references, not a Joey Spallina/Andy Shay/Danowski/Tierney reference all night. Could have used a Jerry from Pj's reference, but still time. Please just make him our permanent color guy especially on btn instead of Dixon.
-Production was a lot better than our last visit. Michigan field looked like it held up really well. Press box-a new weekly complaint of the lax big js looked warm and toasty so I hope there was a lot of good copy put out for Bloomfield or West Bloomfield to read this morning. A lot of these stadiums are really embarrassing homewood with how clean the lines look. They've had all season to get it right. I'm not a big apparel guy, but you didn't see the kids slipping and the gear seemed to hold up pretty well-good day for the sponsors.
-In the ncaa mens tournament the ncaa has been running championship ads. Barf, they feature maryland celebrating at homewood multiple times in the ad. I guess college park has agents far and wide in the tv world.
-Box score said brett handsor played.
-If you don't have btn you can rewatch the game on foxsports through your cable provider without commercials.
-Us and Cornell are the only top 12 rpi teams without top 10 rpi wins and we only have 2 top 20 wins. I posted PM's record at hopkins against rutgers/osu/the terps and we need to start beating some of the red teams in our conference if we want to play deep into may.
lilax

Post by lilax »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:04 am That was a different time. Even a different Petro era than what came later. It’s no longer enough to force an opposing shooter to his off-hand and have him shoot from 12-15 yards out and depend on your goalie to make the save … plenty of today’s shooters can score like that. Today, defenders always need to be on the shooters hands or body or better yet prevent the shot altogether. Petro’s 2005 defense was actually designed to give up certain shots. Today, you don’t want to give up a shot at all. Get aggressive, cause a turnover, initiate offense.

DocBarrister
A couple things.

It's also easy to not slide when you have multiple All-Americans on defense like Watson and Garvey in front of an All-American goalie.

I feel Petro never adjusted to the offensive philosophy changes. Around 2008 teams got away from the typical 6'2 middie dodge down the alley and shoot it. Offenses became more focused on starting dodges closer to the net and getting to the middle of the field. It doesn't matter how good of a goalie you are, if you are seeing shots from 12 yards dead center there is a good chance it's going in the back of the net.

First it was the invert. I still remember watching Princeton running the double invert to death against Hopkins in 2009 and Hopkins having no answers. Maryland in 2012 did the same thing. Then with Duke & Denver's success, everyone started running more 2 man-game sets. You can still give up bad-angle shots, but you still have to have slides ready.

I also think Petro knew around 2015 he didn't have the horses he used to and started scheming ways to support certain players. This just overcomplicated the defense and led to consistent confusion. There would be 2 players sliding to the ball or 0 players sliding.

Koester's slide packages look a lot more simplified. Slide from the crease, support the inside and rotate over the top if there is a skip pass.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

lilax wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:04 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:04 am That was a different time. Even a different Petro era than what came later. It’s no longer enough to force an opposing shooter to his off-hand and have him shoot from 12-15 yards out and depend on your goalie to make the save … plenty of today’s shooters can score like that. Today, defenders always need to be on the shooters hands or body or better yet prevent the shot altogether. Petro’s 2005 defense was actually designed to give up certain shots. Today, you don’t want to give up a shot at all. Get aggressive, cause a turnover, initiate offense.

DocBarrister
A couple things.

It's also easy to not slide when you have multiple All-Americans on defense like Watson and Garvey in front of an All-American goalie.

I feel Petro never adjusted to the offensive philosophy changes. Around 2008 teams got away from the typical 6'2 middie dodge down the alley and shoot it. Offenses became more focused on starting dodges closer to the net and getting to the middle of the field. It doesn't matter how good of a goalie you are, if you are seeing shots from 12 yards dead center there is a good chance it's going in the back of the net.

First it was the invert. I still remember watching Princeton running the double invert to death against Hopkins in 2009 and Hopkins having no answers. Maryland in 2012 did the same thing. Then with Duke & Denver's success, everyone started running more 2 man-game sets. You can still give up bad-angle shots, but you still have to have slides ready.

I also think Petro knew around 2015 he didn't have the horses he used to and started scheming ways to support certain players. This just overcomplicated the defense and led to consistent confusion. There would be 2 players sliding to the ball or 0 players sliding.

Koester's slide packages look a lot more simplified. Slide from the crease, support the inside and rotate over the top if there is a skip pass.
A classic example of a Hopkins SSDM overthinking things in a 2010s era Petro defense: a Syracuse middie had the ball up at the Dome. Hopkins SSDM in front of him seemed to realize he was not where he was supposed to be in Petro’s scheme and simply walked away from the Syracuse player with the ball. The Syracuse middie said “thank you,” took a few uncontested steps forward, and fired a completely unhindered shot for a goal.

Even Petro admitted at times that he wanted his D to think less and react faster. He simplified his D to accomplish that.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:07 pm A classic example of a Hopkins SSDM overthinking things in a 2010s era Petro defense: a Syracuse middie had the ball up at the Dome. Hopkins SSDM in front of him seemed to realize he was not where he was supposed to be in Petro’s scheme and simply walked away from the Syracuse player with the ball. The Syracuse middie said “thank you,” took a few uncontested steps forward, and fired a completely unhindered shot for a goal.

Even Petro admitted at times that he wanted his D to think less and react faster. He simplified his D to accomplish that.

DocBarrister
This happened in 2017 at Byrd with Tinney suddenly running off the field, leaving a Maryland player completely uncovered for a time-and-room stepdown. Is that what you're thinking of? Or did this happen more than once? I don't remember the Syracuse example but I wouldn't be surprised if this happened more than once. There was simply too much thinking going on on the defensive end. Too many decisions being made. Guys who were otherwise talented, smart, athletic players hesitating or making inexplicable choices.
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:04 pm Press box-a new weekly complaint of the lax big js looked warm and toasty so I hope there was a lot of good copy put out for Bloomfield or West Bloomfield to read this morning.
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:04 pm I'm not a big apparel guy, but you didn't see the kids slipping and the gear seemed to hold up pretty well-good day for the sponsors.
How is this the stuff you think about and comment on? Like how is this what your brain gravitates toward? There was an important Big Ten lacrosse game played and this is what you're posting about. Help

The faceoff situation is getting a liiiiiiitle disconcerting — without the play of Mazzone and Hawley it'd be even worse. Dunn has been up and down, Callahan is not having the kind of season he did last year (yet) and Narewski is still working his way back and the result of all these things is a group that may be deep but not very consistent. They'll have better days than yesterday but right now it's not the elite unit we were hoping for early on. Makes our improvement on non-faceoff GBs all the more crucial.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:12 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:07 pm A classic example of a Hopkins SSDM overthinking things in a 2010s era Petro defense: a Syracuse middie had the ball up at the Dome. Hopkins SSDM in front of him seemed to realize he was not where he was supposed to be in Petro’s scheme and simply walked away from the Syracuse player with the ball. The Syracuse middie said “thank you,” took a few uncontested steps forward, and fired a completely unhindered shot for a goal.

DocBarrister
This happened in 2017 at Byrd with Tinney suddenly running off the field, leaving a Maryland player completely uncovered for a time-and-room stepdown. Is that what you're thinking of? Or did this happen more than once? I don't remember the Syracuse example but I wouldn't be surprised if this happened more than once. There was simply too much thinking going on on the defensive end. Too many decisions being made. Guys who were otherwise talented, smart, athletic players hesitating or making inexplicable choices.
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:04 pm Press box-a new weekly complaint of the lax big js looked warm and toasty so I hope there was a lot of good copy put out for Bloomfield or West Bloomfield to read this morning.
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:04 pm I'm not a big apparel guy, but you didn't see the kids slipping and the gear seemed to hold up pretty well-good day for the sponsors.
How is this the stuff you think about and comment on? Like how is this what your brain gravitates toward? There was an important Big Ten lacrosse game played and this is what you're posting about. Help

The faceoff situation is getting a liiiiiiitle disconcerting — without the play of Mazzone and Hawley it'd be even worse. Dunn has been up and down, Callahan is not having the kind of season he did last year (yet) and Narewski is still working his way back and the result of all these things is a group that may be deep but not very consistent. They'll have better days than yesterday but right now it's not the elite unit we were hoping for early on. Makes our improvement on non-faceoff GBs all the more crucial.
I think my example was earlier. Was definitely up in the Dome. I recall your example and agree this has happened on more than one occasion. It’s one reason a Duke player who shall not be named (one of the great ones) once mocked Hopkins players on television as robots.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Not that worried about FO. We've got 3 capable guys with different styles and counters. That's a luxury and means that while we might not go 75%+ in any game, we're also very unlikely to go <40%. There are no Baptistes out there this year. I'll take that. And while I get your point about Hawley and Mazzone, they are the best wings we've had in years, and yet another reason we're unlikely to lose a game this year because we were dominated at X.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:00 pm
Not that worried about FO. We've got 3 capable guys with different styles and counters. That's a luxury and means that while we might not go 75%+ in any game, we're also very unlikely to go <40%. There are no Baptistes out there this year. I'll take that. And while I get your point about Hawley and Mazzone, they are the best wings we've had in years, and yet another reason we're unlikely to lose a game this year because we were dominated at X.
-Aside from the angelus delay of game they stayed out of man down yesterday which was good.
-Ncaa stats going into last weekend list st joes at 1, Michigan at 8, Navy at 25, Delaware at 31, Rutgers at 16, so faceoff challenge in line with what we've seen of late.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

So watched the OSU Rutgers game last night and didn't see that one coming and not sure how to feel about it. I might have preferred a comfortable Knight victory but now Rutgers' back is against the wall and they will come out flying. IF RU loses they close the season with Maryland and @ Penn State. Cameron's presence or lack thereof is important. For Hopkins, the Rutgers game last year was a low point - defense played OK limiting Rutgers transition and holding them to 35 shots and only 19 on goal but the offense was smurf central - DeSimone/Bauer/Keogh and Angelus all started - and was drecch - 29 shots/14 on goal. It was 3-0 and 9-2 late in the 2nd and was over from that standpoint. The teams won't recognize each other from last year if Rutgers starting line-up is the same as against OSU - Knoblach/Scott and Russo are the only starters from last years game for Rutgers and Angelus/Degnon/Smith and Szuluk are the only ones for Hopkins. The game last year had 41 turnovers and Hopkins was murdered on groundballs - nominal total were Rutgers 39- Hopkins 30 but Narewski had 11 ground balls for Hopkins and Dugenio had 3 so non face-off man gbs were 36-19. Kirst was spotted reading a book in goal last year for all the work Hopkins made him do and Kirson was 37% one of his weakest statistical games. Wahlund was fantastic last night in goal for OSU - made every save he should have to quote Dixie. If Hopkins can get a very soilid performance in goal - flip the ground ball metric and make Rutgers work for everything they might have a fighter's chance. I've stopped thinking about commenting on Hopkins not turning the ball over - it's like telling a kid to clean up his room.
Weathe ris now a high of 73 - showers might be gone but windy - come on Jays fans - show up!
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:55 am Boy I am very rarely in the position to agree with DocB ever and I am not sure it is useful or fair to this year's team to continue comparisons but it's what happens typically when a legend leaves for one reason or another but there is some context:
- First on caused turnovers, Petro's style and defense was never predicated on high pressure/high volume of caused turnovers - O'C you used to educate people on this topic. He always had a specific plan in place to try and deal with the opponents knowns - keep everything in front of you - slide help recover and let the goalie see the shot. I believe your almost exact words were "Petro never believed the constant risk was worth the occasional reward - especially in the age of the new sticks"
- Second, there is some error of recency here - you have the years 2001-8 where the talent level of the Hopkins teams led unquestionably to more ground balls - when you are routinely winning face-offs at 60+% and you have generational players that don't turn the ball over and go get the ground balls then you have stats like '03/4/5 where Hopkins routinely had 80-100 more ground balls than opponents. Then starting in 2009 - if Hopkins had a Dolente or Poppleton that won 65% of the face-offs - Hopkins usually had more groundballs than opponents - if not then gbs were typically dead even or the opponents had more. Petro's last full season - opponents had 8 more gbs than Hopkins despite Hopkins winning 54% of face-offs. What is different this year is Mazzone has exactly as many ground balls as Dunn - tied for first on the team - that hasn't happened with Hopkins in a while I would imagine. And Hawley has 22 and Raposo has 9 - wings are a light years better.
- Riding - I don't know that there has been a significant difference - 84% opponent clearing percentage to date strikes me as better than some recent years - but even last year it was almost 90% so these comparisons are barstool arguments
Correct on point one WRT to Petro's defensive style. He wanted to be positional and not take the ball away figuring his goalie would regularly be able to make the 13-15 yard save. When his goalies stopped doing that his defense started to wilt under the pressure of getting more complicated to compensate for lack of goalie stops. The lack of confidence in the goalie making stops also resulted in players over-sliding or doing too much to again compensate for lack of goalie work.

Petro might even be correct that the juice isn't worth the squeeze on CTOs but things always change in everything you do. One thing that occurred was the rise of social media and you could see snippets of Dmen yardsticking offensive players. Perhaps, this resulted in good defensive players going to teams where the DC allowed them to be more aggressive (heck I see Rick Beardsley in my IG feeds de-sticking 13 year olds all the time - Kyle Harrison has a great clip of him having kids dodge at him and him desticking them). That likely played some on what type of players and athletes walked into Hopkins post 2009. Let's also not forget that ER played a huge role in Hopkins recruiting strategy and kids in 8th and 9th grade not growing as suspected or what not. Was it the only thing? No, not at all but I'd bet it had some impact.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister
You are both correct. And I am sure it happened more than the 2 times you are remembering.
molo

Post by molo »

Who starts in the goal against the Knights?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... ens-top-20

stevens on rutgers. Either OSU gave us a blueprint to beat rutgers or woke them up going into a short week.
Rutgers (-5)

Here’s the full list of teams that have kept the Scarlet Knights below 10 goals over the last three seasons: Maryland (2021), Maryland (2022), Maryland (2022 again) and Ohio State (2023). That underscores both how good a night the Buckeyes’ defense had Sunday and how unusual it is for the Rutgers offense to be contained so effectively. One thing that was probably disappointing for the Scarlet Knights was a 29-23 ground ball deficit that grows to 23-12 when faceoff specialists are removed. Don’t be surprised if a more fervent version of Rutgers shows up Saturday at Johns Hopkins.

https://lacrossereference.com/teams/a0031/
lacrosse reference has stats that are easier than the ncaa to navigate. the gb numbers trended up to the end of the month and are up 10 percent over Petro's last season.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

molo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:30 am Who starts in the goal against the Knights?
I think Marcille.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”