Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MoralTerpitude

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Having Trader on the field is like having a fifth longstick. Shut-down defense.

Aside from that run in the second quarter where the Terps D couldn’t figure out to defend the pick game behind the cage, the defense was awesome as usual.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:10 pm Having Trader on the field is like having a fifth longstick. Shut-down defense.

Aside from that run in the second quarter where the Terps D couldn’t figure out to defend the pick game behind the cage, the defense was awesome as usual.
Physicality gets him in trouble sometimes, but he's been great. Defense really stepped up when the offense inexplicably kept giving the ball away. But I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss. On to Michigan.
Last edited by jff97 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDGrad2012

Post by MDGrad2012 »

Koras with hat tricks in 5 of last 6 games. I expected an increased role, but I am honestly surprised by how good he has been. Drawing the pole on the first midfield in the 4th quarter.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jff97 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:13 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:10 pm Having Trader on the field is like having a fifth longstick. Shut-down defense.

Physicality gets him in trouble sometimes, byut he's been great. Defense really stepped up when the offense inexplicably kept giving the ball away. But I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss. On to Michigan.
Yeah. Was a bit of a trap game, considering how young the Terps offense is, and coming off the big win to play a really solid Penn State team. There were definitely lapses in concentration.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Great win in a potential trap game. Defense completely shut down a potent offense for the last 20+ minutes. Koras is becoming a go-to. Fair assessment...Maltz should have been benched; that was not a Be the Best performance. Kolar is awesome.
Last edited by keno in reno on Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:22 pm

Physicality gets him in trouble sometimes, but he's been great. Defense really stepped up when the offense inexplicably kept giving the ball away. But I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss. On to Michigan.
Yeah. Was a bit of a trap game, considering how young the Terps offense is, and coming off the big win to play a really solid Penn State team. There were definitely lapses in concentration.
Yeah could definitely see the focus wasn't quite where it was last week. But I thought Penn State's defense was also good, Fracyon was on, and they definitely played with a good amount of energy. And Maryland withstood that.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jff97 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:33 pm

Yeah could definitely see the focus wasn't quite where it was last week. But I thought Penn State's defense was also good, Fracyon was on, and they definitely played with a good amount of energy. And Maryland withstood that.
Yeah, I thought Fracyon was excellent. Was surprised he was only at 50% - he made some great saves.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:52 pm

Yeah, I thought Fracyon was excellent. Was surprised he was only at 50% - he made some great saves.
He seemed to make a lot early. But sometimes it's hard to tell on the broadcast what's a save and what goes wide or hits the pipe. Usually the stat keeper has people at game level to tell them what's a save with the press box at Maryland being so high.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jff97 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:59 pm

He seemed to make a lot early. But sometimes it's hard to tell on the broadcast what's a save and what goes wide or hits the pipe. Usually the stat keeper has people at game level to tell them what's a save with the press box at Maryland being so high.
B1G cameraman was terrible, very difficult to tell who had the ball plus the tripod is set up atop the Washington Monument.

That said, Terps' shooting continues to be horrendous. 51- 32 shots today, and much worse % early on. They gotta put the open shots on net at least, because they are getting a ton of open shots
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Back to back Top 10 wins will always play. I'm not sure this team wins this one a month ago. Lot of growth was needed and a lot more still is, but they're beating some really good teams.

Pros
- Offense in first half was terrific. Got goals in every possible way. Had some nice ball movement 6-on-6 and continue to grow the pick game and sets that flowed so easily last year. First goal for Whittier is a staple one. Spanos dodge was great, hope he's not badly concussed. Long's dodge was great. Don't think we've had two dodge goals like that before. 4 shortie/transition goals is for sure most we've had in one game, let alone a half
- Defense in second half was terrific. Great adjustments to handle the pick game. Forced Penn State into lots of what may be considered unforced turnovers but they were going nowhere and in a bad spot and were pressured and had to make a play and threw it away. That's what you need to do in those spots when they invert the midfielders in the picks, push them off their spot, get them with their back to the cage, get the clock running down, and force those lollipop passes.
- Ruppel is a stud. Freshmen goalies are going to have those types of games that he did in the first half...but for him it was a half. Not a game.
- I think the shorties were really good 1v1. They're all great athletes, they have the fundamentals down. Kolar has improved so much. Trader is just amazing.
- Man-up needs to hit in a game where offense overall struggles and it did
- Wierman. As always.

Cons
- Offense in second half was...well it was rough. Haphazard turnovers, spacing got too congested. Their best moments in a half are better. Their low moments are still low and there. Gotta get rid of those for May.
- The defense in the first half was very, very bad. Everything I said about the shorties 1v1 is true! But in the pick game and the communication of Redd is new to position, Kolar super young, Lacey new to system. It's that inexperience that's really seeming to be an issue in the pick game either behind the cage or Notre Dame got them with big/littles up top.
- Obviously hope Spanos isn't out long term. Even short term would suck but they are deep, think they could be fine for a couple weeks
- Issues with offsides and things like that in the 2H you wouldn't expect normally.

Overall, good win. Keep getting better.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:08 pm

B1G cameraman was terrible, very difficult to tell who had the ball plus the tripod is set up atop the Washington Monument.

That said, Terps' shooting continues to be horrendous. 51- 32 shots today, and much worse % early on. They gotta put the open shots on net at least, because they are getting a ton of open shots
They don't have shooters and they don't have dodgers yet who can get to the cage and get their own shot. I think as the offense gets better and they create more looks on the crease and open shots it'll go up, but this is going to be a low 30s shooting team at best this year. The worst shooter on the team the last few years outside of Long was Fairman, who could always get his own shot. You had Wisnauskas, DeMaio, Donville last year as elite shooters; Khan could get tons of dunks; Jared was the best dodger in years and could also shoot from distance. Going back before that you had Connor Kelly who was the best shooter in the country.

On this roster you have Kelly who can shoot it, Maltz can shoot it but he has an elongated wind up that defenders can close out on and he's better as a crease guy. Murphy can shoot it but he's a pure catch and shoot guy. None of these guys are the shooters that they've had in the past. And they don't have the dodgers. Erksa will be that one day I believe. Spanos I absolutely think will be. Whittier has that potential as well. But it's not quite there yet. So you don't get dunks to raise the percentage or to open up easier shots.

Just a tough road. But it is getting better from where it was earlier in the year. I don't think they have that first half they had on offense in the first month of the year
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:23 pm

They don't have shooters and they don't have dodgers yet who can get to the cage and get their own shot. I think as the offense gets better and they create more looks on the crease and open shots it'll go up, but this is going to be a low 30s shooting team at best this year. The worst shooter on the team the last few years outside of Long was Fairman, who could always get his own shot. You had Wisnauskas, DeMaio, Donville last year as elite shooters; Khan could get tons of dunks; Jared was the best dodger in years and could also shoot from distance. Going back before that you had Connor Kelly who was the best shooter in the country.

On this roster you have Kelly who can shoot it, Maltz can shoot it but he has an elongated wind up that defenders can close out on and he's better as a crease guy. Murphy can shoot it but he's a pure catch and shoot guy. None of these guys are the shooters that they've had in the past. And they don't have the dodgers. Erksa will be that one day I believe. Spanos I absolutely think will be. Whittier has that potential as well. But it's not quite there yet. So you don't get dunks to raise the percentage or to open up easier shots.

Just a tough road. But it is getting better from where it was earlier in the year. I don't think they have that first half they had on offense in the first month of the year
All good on where they are, but I don't think it gets any better. They get plenty of open shots; they literally just miss the goalposts a ton more than they probably should.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:23 pm

They make it up on volume. Wierman gets them the ball a lot. They put a lot of pressure on defenses. The second midfield line has serious pop. They're just not accurate shooters. It's the youth. It's the inexperience. I don't think it will get better this year.

Getting close to 50 shots a game, keeping turnovers at 15 or fewer, and Wierman winning 60%+ seems to be the algorithm for this team to win. The defense is going to keep them in every game. In order to win, those first 3 things have to happen. If this team shot 35%, they'd be blowing out every team they've faced.

I think Tills knows this team is just going to be inaccurate. He keeps talking about playing fast. To me, that means he knows knows they need to shoot a lot of rubber.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They're def not shooting 35% at any point this year. That's what they shot in 2017-2019. But they shot 25% last night compared to 29% against UVA. I do think they can get to 30% range with some consistency by the end of the year. If we consider this their "floor" game right now, where they shot 25%, that's better than when they shot 21% against Notre Dame. If they shot 25% against Notre Dame they win that game in regulation by 2-3 goals. Like they should have. I think it's possible for the UVA game to be what they do week in, week out. They're not playing teams with those defenders every week. If they can't get there with any regularity, then yeah it will be a much tougher grind to get to Philly
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

terp talk

Post by terp talk »

Terp Talk Post game Show after 13-10 win over Penn State
Includes interviews w Kyle Long and Logan McNaney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9UOTpoJpPE
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:24 pm They're def not shooting 35% at any point this year. That's what they shot in 2017-2019. But they shot 25% last night compared to 29% against UVA. I do think they can get to 30% range with some consistency by the end of the year. If we consider this their "floor" game right now, where they shot 25%, that's better than when they shot 21% against Notre Dame. If they shot 25% against Notre Dame they win that game in regulation by 2-3 goals. Like they should have. I think it's possible for the UVA game to be what they do week in, week out. They're not playing teams with those defenders every week. If they can't get there with any regularity, then yeah it will be a much tougher grind to get to Philly
I could see them shooting close to 35% this weekend against Michigan (46th in adjusted defensive efficiency and 54th in adjusted save percent per LaxRef)!! But that's more about Michigan than Maryland!

The Terps aren't even taking bad shots. They're just not hitting the cage at all. I do think Staudt's game against the Terps got in their heads. They did face quite a run against really good goalies (#'s 2, 3, 5, 6 in adj save %) early in the season, and it looks like they're trying to be too perfect. PSU was #16 in adj save%, Rutgers is currently #14, and JHU is #8.

They're just going to have to keep shooting a ton of shots. Against PSU, early in the Q1, they had a 3-minute possession (3 shot clock resets) where they took 5 really good shots. Fracyon made 3 saves, and they missed the cage twice. The offense was buzzing. Just couldn't get one past Fracyon, and you knew that'd be the way the rest of the game would go.
molo

Post by molo »

Don’t overlook the depth that this FF bound team has. On how many teams would Maryland’s top ssdm not be the team’s best middie? He’s lock down defender who scores in his limited time on o.
Lax1

Post by Lax1 »

Has Owen Murphy been running attack or midfield? Box Score just shows that he isn’t starting.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Lax1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:47 pm Has Owen Murphy been running attack or midfield? Box Score just shows that he isn’t starting.
2nd Midfield

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”